Starting school advice please

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 AJB3

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:16 AM

Hi

Sorry this will be long and complicated.

I have two children DS is in Year 1 at a fantastic school (2nd year of school). I am a teacher at a different school. I did not want him attending my fantastic school as he is a bit clingy and needed to gain some independence. Both schools are quite small rural schools.

DD is almost 4. She can attend FYOS next year as cut off is April 30 or the year after when she is 5 turning 6. We always intended to send her when she was 5 turning 6 as she has a slight speech delay and the trend at DS's school is to send them the year they turn 6.

This year, when I am working, she is going to two different family daycarers (I couldn't get the days I wanted at only one carer) and she is going to 3 year old kinder. It seems a lot of different places for one little girl. She seems to be coping ok so far. Also, its a lot of different drop offs for me. We leave home at 7.30am in order for me to get to work by 8.30am.  I work 3 days a week at the moment but it may be increasing to four.  

My sister suggested yesterday that DD could go to school with me next year and repeat Prep the next year at DS's school. I have been thinking alot about it. DD might be on the young side starting school next year but it could be good for her. Also, she may be better suited to my school. She is more independent than DS at the same age. There might not be a need to repeat Prep or to change schools.  She is a pretty easy going girl who copes quite well with new situations and seems to make friends easily.  DS wouldn't be happy that his sister gets to go to my school.

If she doesn't go to school next year she would be attending 4 year old kinder/pre school, three days a week from 9am - 2pm.  Which will be very tricky for me to manage when I'm working.  I guess I could also look at a daycare centre with a kinder program.  

I am currently teaching a Prep class but that could change if DD was at the school.

What would you do? What do you see as the negatives to starting her young and possibly repeating prep at a different school. I guess the decision to repeat or change schools doesn't have to be made until closer to the end of next year. My school would be a bit peeved if I moved her after a year but would probably deal with it.  Other teachers at my school send their kids to different schools.  Also, I'm only on a contract.  I think the boss is happy with me and will keep employing me if he can but things could possibly change next year depending on student numbers and what other staff are doing.  

My head is spinning a bit with all the pros and cons.  

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

#2 akkiandmalli

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:29 AM

I am a teacher also and I sent my dd to school at 4. ( she actually missed the cut off her birthday is early may but was accepted) she is now in grade 2 and thriving.. Just because everyone sends their children At 5 going 6 doesn't means you have to..It's not the end if the world if she has to repeat prep.. Sounds to me though as she us coping fine and I would send her to your so s school. In my option it is harder to do your job when you have your own children at the same school.

#3 Julie3Girls

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:13 AM

I'd be seriously thinking about exactly why you want to wait to start her. Depending on what those reasons are, how would you feel if it turns out repeating her is the wrong thing to do? Would you still change her school at that point, moving her to yr1 in the other school?  

Honestly, unless there was a major academic issue, I'd be very hesitant to repeat FYOS.  Kids learn sooooo much in that first year, I couldn't even begin to imagine telling any of my girls that they have to go right back to the very beginning all over again, after they have already finished a whole year and are reading and writing etc. even the kids that have struggled a bit tend to be far beyond the level of the new kinders coming in.

My dd2 started school with a slight speech problem, still in speech therapy until part way through yr 1. And she still thrived academically and socially at school.  She would have been bored out of her mind if I had thought to repeat her.

#4 IsolaBella

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:25 AM

QUOTE (Julie3Girls @ 17/02/2013, 10:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd be seriously thinking about exactly why you want to wait to start her. Depending on what those reasons are, how would you feel if it turns out repeating her is the wrong thing to do? Would you still change her school at that point, moving her to yr1 in the other school?  

Honestly, unless there was a major academic issue, I'd be very hesitant to repeat FYOS.  Kids learn sooooo much in that first year, I couldn't even begin to imagine telling any of my girls that they have to go right back to the very beginning all over again, after they have already finished a whole year and are reading and writing etc. even the kids that have struggled a bit tend to be far beyond the level of the new kinders coming in.

My dd2 started school with a slight speech problem, still in speech therapy until part way through yr 1. And she still thrived academically and socially at school.  She would have been bored out of her mind if I had thought to repeat her.

DS2 has started with Speech problems. In Feb last year he was assessed as being moderately to severely delayed in his. Expressive language. In October was reassessed as being within normal limits (ok lower end, but on the normal scale). School has been great so far and are doing lots of work on social things like what makes a good friend and teaching the kids resilience. This is much better then what happened at 4yo Kinder. I spoke to another mum whose son was in DS1's 3yo kinder class. Her son was recommended to repeat 4yo Kinder for social issues. Her take was that the kinder had done bupkiss for her son, so why would she give them another year with him? She sent her son to school and he thrived in the more structured environment.

#5 AJB3

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:50 PM

Thanks for the advice.

You have given me more to think about.

Would love to hear from anyone that has a child that has repeated FYOS.

Rachel

#6 2bundles

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:41 PM

I think it is a strange concept to start school with the idea of repeating. Either she is ready or she isn't. If she isn't then she will take more resources and teacher time away from the other kids.

I would find a day are with a Kindy program and let her start school at the right age.

#7 mum850

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:54 PM

If she is ready for school I would send her at 4 turning 5  and not worry about what the other parents are doing. Prep is meant for kids who are 4 turning 5! You would be in a great position to decide being a prep teacher yourself.

She is a pretty easy going girl who copes quite well with new situations and seems to make friends easily

Sounds good to go to me!
I know it's a secondary consideration but it would be so much easier for your family unit ( not just for you)

#8 frozie

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:08 PM

Her son was recommended to repeat 4yo Kinder for social issues. Her take was that the kinder had done bupkiss for her son, so why would she give them another year with him? She sent her son to school and he thrived in the more structured environment.

This is what happened to us with DS.  We had big discussions with the school he would be attending as he was doing a learn to read & play program through there one day a week so they already knew him.  DH & I were of the opinion that we would rather him repeat Prep than Kinder as he was so bored at 4yo kinder.  Anyhow, he thrived from day one and started Grade 3 this year (he is currently being assessed for Aspergers so I think the structure of school suited him rather than the free play that the kinder had).

#9 IsolaBella

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:59 AM

DS2 was recommended to repeat 4yo Kinder too for social issues. He is an Aug birthday which would make him 6.5yrs starting school then. I was not interested. As I posted above he came a long way last year in his speech and the structured environment of school suits him so far.

#10 TurtleTamer

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:10 AM

I'm very curious if anyone has done this too actually.  We have a June birthday (NSW with end July cut off) and I don't think he would be able to keep up in his brothers' school where they generally send later.  But then I wonder about sending him public, seeing how he goes and transferring to the other school wherever he fits ability-wise after that year.  And then I think I'm being ridiculous and to just hold him back but he's already asking to go to preschool every day, 2 more years and I think I'll be going nuts!

#11 cward

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:30 AM

I'm very curious if anyone has done this too actually. We have a June birthday (NSW with end July cut off) and I don't think he would be able to keep up in his brothers' school where they generally send later. But then I wonder about sending him public, seeing how he goes and transferring to the other school wherever he fits ability-wise after that year. And then I think I'm being ridiculous and to just hold him back but he's already asking to go to preschool every day, 2 more years and I think I'll be going nuts!

i know of quite a few people who have done this at our catholic school.  They couldn't get them in the year they were 4 turning 5 so they went to the local public school then pulled them out and they repeated FYOS the following year when they were 5 turing 6.

There is one girl in my DD1's class (year 5) and she is definitely not ahead of the class and hasn't been throughout school.  In this case I think it was more a financial issue as preschool in Sydney is pretty expensive so it was cheaper to send her to school.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

The myths and truths of gender swaying

Here are a few popular methods hopeful parents-to-be use to try to get a baby of their preferred gender – and what an expert says about whether they really work.

10 easy DIY Christmas decoration ideas

It's officially time to get into the Christmas spirit. Why not branch out when you put up your tree this year and add a personal touch with a few DIY decorations? We've found the perfect easy-to-make ways to put more festive fever into your home.

The dangerous new trend of glucose challenge test refusal

A dangerous trend is seeing more mothers-to-be declining a relatively simple and painless test to check for gestational diabetes.

Office of Fair Trading reveals naughty toys ahead of Christmas

The Office of Fair Trading has pulled seven toys from shelves ahead of Christmas after they fail safety tests.

Video: Baby boy's trouble with twins

These twin girls will no doubt have fun fooling people in years to come, but nobody will be as confused as baby Landon.

Long-term reversible male contraceptive on its way

Men could soon have access to an injectable long-term contraceptive which works in a similar way to a vasectomy but promises to be easily reversed.

'I tried to kill my baby': one mum's story

After bathing and dressing her three-month-old son, Amanda had a rare moment alone with her baby.

Attack of the 'mummy brain'

I feel that almost every day, someone in my life - be they a friend, family member or complete stranger - feels the need to excuse my behaviour as I have other things on my mind.

Mum of baby who fell ill after drinking raw milk speaks out

A Melbourne mother has described how her son turned grey when he became seriously ill after drinking raw milk.

Australian divorce rate lowest since 1976

Modern newlyweds are now well into their 30s and marriage still offers something powerful a new book argues.

The aftermath of a traumatic birth experience

In Australia, 30 per cent of women find their birth experience traumatic, with 6 per cent going on to develop post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

Young mum burns 'from inside-out'

A young mum is in intensive care after she took a friend's antibiotic and wound up with an ailment that is burning her body 'from the inside-out'.

The disagreement that can break a relationship

If he doesn't change his mind, all I can hope is that I will. It would be a waste to spend the rest of my marriage mourning a baby that never was.

Co-sleeping or no-sleeping? Mum videos worst nap ever

One mother's futile attempt to sleep in caught on camera in a hilarious - and very cute - video.

Why children misbehave during the festive season

While we all like to imagine the holiday season as being a fun, loving and bonding experience; often our reality is quiet different.

I was fat-shamed by my doctor

The fear of being weighed is the most significant factor in women cancelling medical appointments - and now weight-shaming has happened to me.

End of an era: no more childcare

As we reach the end of 2014, we're closing the book on many things for another year, most notably childcare. Our last child has attended childcare for the very last time.

The 7-year itch is more like the 10-year itch: study

Contrary to popular belief, making it past the seven-year mark doesn't mean your marriage will be smooth sailing from there on.

Stop telling us that parenting gets harder

I’m sure that parenting will get harder. But life isn’t exactly smooth sailing for many of us right now, either.

Should children be forced to sit on Santa's lap?

We teach kids it’s okay to say no if they don’t feel safe, so why do some parents force their children to climb in to Santa's lap?

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Baby born weighing almost 14 pounds

Yes, the bouncing baby girl was born by caesarean section. And mum says no more kids.

The dummy debate

I'm the first to admit that when I used to see tiny babies with dummies in their mouths, I thought "Hmm, lazy parenting." And now I apologise.

'I thought I was an only child'

Imagine meeting your double at a school sports event, or regularly being mistaken for someone you haven't met. Separated twins Margaret and Joy tell their story.

Mums reveal their nappy bag essentials

Ever wondered what other mums carry in their nappy bags? We have, so we asked mums to tell us their must-have nappy bag items.

Toddler died because he wasn't given antibiotics soon enough

A 15-month-old boy would almost certainly be alive today if doctors had given him antibiotics sooner, a coroner has ruled.

VIDEO: moment a toddler falls on to train tracks in Melbourne

Shocking footage has emerged capturing the moment a pram carrying a toddler rolled off a platform and onto train tracks in suburban Melbourne.

Sold on natural birth? Read the fine print

In the excitement and anticipation of a first pregnancy, I ignored the fine print: some women, some of the time.

Child with alcoholic mum who drank while pregnant won't win pay-out

A young child is not entitled to criminal injuries compensation after her mother drank excessively while pregnant.

Superbugs killing India's babies, posing wider threat

A deadly epidemic that could have global implications is quietly sweeping India, tens of thousands of newborns dying because antibiotics no longer work.

Can you teach a toddler to sleep in?

Parents share their tips on getting their early risers to sleep in, even for just a little bit longer.

Keeping your relationship on track as new parents

About 70 per cent of couples experience a slump in their relationship within three years of having a baby. Here's how we tried to get back on track.

America's favourite baby names of 2014

Americans are turning to television, Netflix and sports for ideas for what to name their wee ones.

Carers admit to force-feeding children

As Sydney grieves the loss of Sydney siege victims Katrina Dawson and Tori Johnson, reports have suggested that both died as heroes.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.