Starting school advice please

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 AJB3

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:16 AM

Hi

Sorry this will be long and complicated.

I have two children DS is in Year 1 at a fantastic school (2nd year of school). I am a teacher at a different school. I did not want him attending my fantastic school as he is a bit clingy and needed to gain some independence. Both schools are quite small rural schools.

DD is almost 4. She can attend FYOS next year as cut off is April 30 or the year after when she is 5 turning 6. We always intended to send her when she was 5 turning 6 as she has a slight speech delay and the trend at DS's school is to send them the year they turn 6.

This year, when I am working, she is going to two different family daycarers (I couldn't get the days I wanted at only one carer) and she is going to 3 year old kinder. It seems a lot of different places for one little girl. She seems to be coping ok so far. Also, its a lot of different drop offs for me. We leave home at 7.30am in order for me to get to work by 8.30am.  I work 3 days a week at the moment but it may be increasing to four.  

My sister suggested yesterday that DD could go to school with me next year and repeat Prep the next year at DS's school. I have been thinking alot about it. DD might be on the young side starting school next year but it could be good for her. Also, she may be better suited to my school. She is more independent than DS at the same age. There might not be a need to repeat Prep or to change schools.  She is a pretty easy going girl who copes quite well with new situations and seems to make friends easily.  DS wouldn't be happy that his sister gets to go to my school.

If she doesn't go to school next year she would be attending 4 year old kinder/pre school, three days a week from 9am - 2pm.  Which will be very tricky for me to manage when I'm working.  I guess I could also look at a daycare centre with a kinder program.  

I am currently teaching a Prep class but that could change if DD was at the school.

What would you do? What do you see as the negatives to starting her young and possibly repeating prep at a different school. I guess the decision to repeat or change schools doesn't have to be made until closer to the end of next year. My school would be a bit peeved if I moved her after a year but would probably deal with it.  Other teachers at my school send their kids to different schools.  Also, I'm only on a contract.  I think the boss is happy with me and will keep employing me if he can but things could possibly change next year depending on student numbers and what other staff are doing.  

My head is spinning a bit with all the pros and cons.  

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

#2 akkiandmalli

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:29 AM

I am a teacher also and I sent my dd to school at 4. ( she actually missed the cut off her birthday is early may but was accepted) she is now in grade 2 and thriving.. Just because everyone sends their children At 5 going 6 doesn't means you have to..It's not the end if the world if she has to repeat prep.. Sounds to me though as she us coping fine and I would send her to your so s school. In my option it is harder to do your job when you have your own children at the same school.

#3 Julie3Girls

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:13 AM

I'd be seriously thinking about exactly why you want to wait to start her. Depending on what those reasons are, how would you feel if it turns out repeating her is the wrong thing to do? Would you still change her school at that point, moving her to yr1 in the other school?  

Honestly, unless there was a major academic issue, I'd be very hesitant to repeat FYOS.  Kids learn sooooo much in that first year, I couldn't even begin to imagine telling any of my girls that they have to go right back to the very beginning all over again, after they have already finished a whole year and are reading and writing etc. even the kids that have struggled a bit tend to be far beyond the level of the new kinders coming in.

My dd2 started school with a slight speech problem, still in speech therapy until part way through yr 1. And she still thrived academically and socially at school.  She would have been bored out of her mind if I had thought to repeat her.

#4 Isolabella

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:25 AM

QUOTE (Julie3Girls @ 17/02/2013, 10:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd be seriously thinking about exactly why you want to wait to start her. Depending on what those reasons are, how would you feel if it turns out repeating her is the wrong thing to do? Would you still change her school at that point, moving her to yr1 in the other school?  

Honestly, unless there was a major academic issue, I'd be very hesitant to repeat FYOS.  Kids learn sooooo much in that first year, I couldn't even begin to imagine telling any of my girls that they have to go right back to the very beginning all over again, after they have already finished a whole year and are reading and writing etc. even the kids that have struggled a bit tend to be far beyond the level of the new kinders coming in.

My dd2 started school with a slight speech problem, still in speech therapy until part way through yr 1. And she still thrived academically and socially at school.  She would have been bored out of her mind if I had thought to repeat her.

DS2 has started with Speech problems. In Feb last year he was assessed as being moderately to severely delayed in his. Expressive language. In October was reassessed as being within normal limits (ok lower end, but on the normal scale). School has been great so far and are doing lots of work on social things like what makes a good friend and teaching the kids resilience. This is much better then what happened at 4yo Kinder. I spoke to another mum whose son was in DS1's 3yo kinder class. Her son was recommended to repeat 4yo Kinder for social issues. Her take was that the kinder had done bupkiss for her son, so why would she give them another year with him? She sent her son to school and he thrived in the more structured environment.

#5 AJB3

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:50 PM

Thanks for the advice.

You have given me more to think about.

Would love to hear from anyone that has a child that has repeated FYOS.

Rachel

#6 2bundles

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:41 PM

I think it is a strange concept to start school with the idea of repeating. Either she is ready or she isn't. If she isn't then she will take more resources and teacher time away from the other kids.

I would find a day are with a Kindy program and let her start school at the right age.

#7 mum850

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:54 PM

If she is ready for school I would send her at 4 turning 5  and not worry about what the other parents are doing. Prep is meant for kids who are 4 turning 5! You would be in a great position to decide being a prep teacher yourself.

She is a pretty easy going girl who copes quite well with new situations and seems to make friends easily

Sounds good to go to me!
I know it's a secondary consideration but it would be so much easier for your family unit ( not just for you)

#8 frozie

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:08 PM

Her son was recommended to repeat 4yo Kinder for social issues. Her take was that the kinder had done bupkiss for her son, so why would she give them another year with him? She sent her son to school and he thrived in the more structured environment.

This is what happened to us with DS.  We had big discussions with the school he would be attending as he was doing a learn to read & play program through there one day a week so they already knew him.  DH & I were of the opinion that we would rather him repeat Prep than Kinder as he was so bored at 4yo kinder.  Anyhow, he thrived from day one and started Grade 3 this year (he is currently being assessed for Aspergers so I think the structure of school suited him rather than the free play that the kinder had).

#9 Isolabella

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:59 AM

DS2 was recommended to repeat 4yo Kinder too for social issues. He is an Aug birthday which would make him 6.5yrs starting school then. I was not interested. As I posted above he came a long way last year in his speech and the structured environment of school suits him so far.

#10 TurtleTamer

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:10 AM

I'm very curious if anyone has done this too actually.  We have a June birthday (NSW with end July cut off) and I don't think he would be able to keep up in his brothers' school where they generally send later.  But then I wonder about sending him public, seeing how he goes and transferring to the other school wherever he fits ability-wise after that year.  And then I think I'm being ridiculous and to just hold him back but he's already asking to go to preschool every day, 2 more years and I think I'll be going nuts!

#11 cward

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:30 AM

I'm very curious if anyone has done this too actually. We have a June birthday (NSW with end July cut off) and I don't think he would be able to keep up in his brothers' school where they generally send later. But then I wonder about sending him public, seeing how he goes and transferring to the other school wherever he fits ability-wise after that year. And then I think I'm being ridiculous and to just hold him back but he's already asking to go to preschool every day, 2 more years and I think I'll be going nuts!

i know of quite a few people who have done this at our catholic school.  They couldn't get them in the year they were 4 turning 5 so they went to the local public school then pulled them out and they repeated FYOS the following year when they were 5 turing 6.

There is one girl in my DD1's class (year 5) and she is definitely not ahead of the class and hasn't been throughout school.  In this case I think it was more a financial issue as preschool in Sydney is pretty expensive so it was cheaper to send her to school.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Tell us what you think

to WIN 1 of 2 $500 Coles/Myer gift cards

Dealing with a toddler's morning tantrums

Your schedule is not important to your two-year-old, and you cannot convince her otherwise. So what can you do?

Child in suitcase 'could have died eight years ago'

A child whose remains were dumped in a suitcase in the South Australian bush is believed to have been a girl aged between two-and-a-half to four.

MP breastfeeds baby during parliamentary session

An Argentinian mum and politician has caused a stir on social media after being filmed breastfeeding her baby.

My baby's first seizure

It was 1am on a cold winter's night when I woke suddenly to the screams of my 12-month-old son. Our lives were about to change forever.

Portable pools 'more dangerous than permanent ones'

Inflatable and portable children's pools may be required to be sold with compulsory fencing to prevent backyard drownings, with some experts even floating the idea of a ban.

Heartbreaking moment mum kisses her one-week-old goodbye

At 11.07am on April 2 this year, Sarah Marriott welcomed baby Sebastian into the world.

The amazing Tee Pee bed and kid-friendly Frankie Bunk bed

These kids' beds definitely fit the brief of providing personality and personal space for little people who are moving up in the world.

The funny things kids say when you're pregnant

Since becoming noticeably pregnant, my son has taken more of an interest in the sibling he'll soon have.

The real problem with having one child

In this age of political correctness, it seems the one subject still subject to discrimination is that of the Only Child.

Six-week-old baby found dead, believed stabbed

A neighbour heard a child screaming before a baby was found dead, believed to have been stabbed, in a house in Newcastle.

The fire hazard in more than 70,000 Australian homes

So far, 206 Samsung washing machines have caught fire and some have exploded. But many remain in people's homes.

How having a baby can bring on OCD

We all know that having a baby can turn your life upside down - and it can also bring a raft of new anxieties and worries.

IVF gender selection being considered for Australian parents

Couples using IVF may be able to choose the gender of their babies and women could be financially compensated for donating their eggs.

The best age to get married (according to the latest study)

Not too young, and not too old. That's reportedly the best age to get married. Not everyone agrees.

Yes, you can get pregnant before your period returns post-baby

After giving birth, the last thing you want to think about is contraception. But you can get pregnant before your period comes back.

Fellow diner rewards mum after toddler's tantrum

Parents of toddlers everywhere know the feeling. After working up the courage to take your child out for lunch or dinner in public you are rewarded with a mid-meal meltdown. 

IKEA begins massive safety campaign after two toddler deaths

Two children were killed when pieces from their Malm furniture line tipped over.

Beaneasy: sweet nursery furniture with a twist

If you're looking to introduce an organic element into your baby's nursery but want to step away from natural timber, we have the perfect alternative.

A dad's guide to hyperemesis

I am in no way qualified to advise women on how to cope with hyperemesis, but I've learnt some lessons that might be worth sharing with other partners.

Woman adopts best friend's four daughters after cancer tragedy

Best friends share everything - and for these two life-long friends, that includes family.

Baby Leo's mum excluded from $500K trust 'for her own protection'

Samuel Forrest didn't want his wife as a trustee of their baby Leo's half million dollar trust for her own "protection", it has emerged.

Confirmed: men gain weight when they become dads

Men who become fathers experience weight gain and an increase in body mass index, a measurement of body fat based on height and weight, according to a new, large-scale study

Carer investigated over washing machine photo posted 'for a laugh'

She said the photo of a boy with Down syndrome in a washing machine was taken just for fun, but no one else was laughing.

Mum's premature labour nightmare after high tea salmonella outbreak

An opulent high tea at a luxury Melbourne hotel has left 44 people with salmonella poisoning - including a pregnant woman, who went into early labour.

The day my son started a fire

Would you know what to do in a fire emergency? How safe is your home and family?

Prince George celebrates second birthday

Prince George's second birthday has been marked by the release of an official picture showing the toddler smiling as he is held by his proud beaming father.

Which beauty treatments are safe in pregnancy?

Is it safe to use fake tan, hair dye and nail varnish during pregnancy?

The five ways I know my 'baby' is no longer a baby

The truth is, I can no longer deny that my walking, babbling, somewhat-independent little miss is no longer a bona fide 'baby'.

Review: Cybex Platinum PRIAM pram

I'm not usually one who believes in love at first sight but that's exactly what happened when I first saw the Cybex PRIAM.

Get your FREE Baby & Toddler Show ticket!

Get your free ticket to the Sydney Essential Baby & Toddler Show for September 25-27 - register online now.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Tell us what you think

to WIN 1 of 2 $500 Coles/Myer gift cards

Why I'm choosing to be a single mother right from the start

I believe that you get out of families what you put into them, and I will give mine my all.

Mother and baby units are a necessity for mental health, not a luxury

I have had two postnatal psychotic episodes. The first when my eldest child was six weeks old, and another after my second child was born.

30 French baby names

French names are always in fashion, but a few have risen in popularity in recent years.

New mum's Spanish maternity nightmare

A British woman who gave birth in Spain has told of her ordeal after spending weeks trying to convince medics the baby girl was hers.

Preparing Rover to be a good dog with baby

Some friends of ours say that it's dangerous to have a dog around a newborn and that we should start looking for a new home for him. Is it?

Company offers to ship working mums' breast milk home

First Apple and Facebook announced they would pay $20,000 towards the cost of their female employees freezing their eggs, now IBM in the US has come up with an innovative new policy aimed at retaining female employees.

Prince William speaks of his pride at wife Kate and 'little joy of heaven' Charlotte

The Duke of Cambridge opened up about family life and his plans for the future in an interview to mark his first day as an air ambulance pilot.

'Glowing' eye saves baby Mason's life

A simple photo taken in front of an evening fire gave new mother Sarah Bowers the power to save her baby's life. 

Parenting and decision overload

Of all the advice people told me before having a baby, no one warned me about the amount of decisions involved.

Proof that toddlers can't be left unsupervised - ever

Parents of toddlers all know the moment when realise your child is being suspiciously quiet. It can only mean one thing - trouble!

Meet Jeremy Ryan, The Voice contestant with seven kids

If you have trouble recalling the ages of Jeremy Ryan's seven children on The Voice, you're not alone. So does he.

Baby's adorable reaction to wearing glasses for the first time

Getting glasses can be a formative moment in a person's life.

Police officer buys supplies for family after mum of six caught shoplifting

When a mum of six was caught shoplifting nappies, clothes and shoes for her kids, the last thing she expected was for a stranger to pay for her haul.

Why pregnant women on antidepressants shouldn’t panic about birth defect claims

The risk of having uncontrolled depression is far greater than the small increased risk of birth defects that may be associated with specific antidepressants.

Arrests made over children's birthday party brawl

Police have raided properties and arrested a number of people over a brawl at a child's birthday party at a play centre in Sydney's west.

Family shares awesome drone baby announcement

Looking for a creative way to share some big news? Look to the skies, like this family did.

Young warrior Owen defies doctors' predictions

Little Owen DiCandilo's name means "young warrior", and it's a description that perfectly fits the inspiring 18-month-old

Advice for dads: when to approach your wife for sex

The exhaustion that comes with caring for young children often means romance between parents becomes a thing of the past.

I might be fat, but I don't need saving

I've been fat for pretty much most of life, besides a few crazy moments of being less-fat, but for the most part I've existed on this earth with a little more meat on my bones than desirable.

The rookie mistakes we make as parents

Since the dawn of civilisation, generation after generation of new parents have had to rely on instinct, trial and error - and sometimes get it wrong.

FREE TICKET

See Pinky McKay live in Sydney

Get your free ticket to The Essential Baby & Toddler Show and save $20 - register online now!

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.