Help getting a routine

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 altered1991

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:13 PM

Hi Everyone

My partner and I have been having a bit of trouble trying to get our son to start sleeping in his own bed he is 15 months old.
We haven't had him sleeping in his cot since he was about 3 months old, my partner found it easier to breastfeed him while she lay with him and it ended up being the only way to get him to sleep. Now he isn't breastfeeding but he still refuses to go to sleep on his own. When bed time comes around we lay him in the cot hand him his bottle but as soon as we turn away he is on his feet screaming. Family have said you have to let them cry it out but after about 5 minutes hes to the point of dry reaching.
Now we really need him in his cot and in a regular routine as we have baby number 2 due on 31/03/13.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

#2 Feral-as-Meggs

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:58 PM

I think you are expecting too much of your little one to make the change all in one go, and with a deadline.  Its a big deal to sleep pn your own, when all you have ever known is sleeping all warm safe and cozy with the people he loves and trusts best.   Of course he's going to protest, cry and get distressed - any sensible person would when they were happy with the way things were, and want them back that way.  

Maybe you could look at a gradual method like this:  

http://m.raisingchildren.net.au/articles/camping_out.html

Maybe also contact a sleep school like Tresillian for some phone advice.

#3 Jenferal

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:16 PM

You can't just dump him in the cot and walk out. That will NEVER work!
Have you got a nightime routine? If not, get one!
For example:
Dinner
Quiet playtime
Bath
Books in his room in dim light. I read 3 books while my 2yr old sits on my lap, or at my feet.
Tell him it's bedtime now and he has to lie down and get to sleep.
Sit with him for a amount of time if he lies down and doesn't stand up. We have a digital clock in our daughter's room and we say we'll stay until the last number is X(5 mins, so if it's 9.20, then the last number will be a 5)
IF he stands up and starts screaming, then you can tell him you'll leave the room. My SiL does that with her son, she tells him she'll sit with him IF he lies quietly and doesn't carry on.

Have a nightlight in case he's scared of the dark.
Tell him (after 5 or 10 mins) that you'll come back to check on him in 5 minutes and KEEP YOUR WORD!
And it will take time, he may also regress a bit with the new baby.

#4 Jenferal

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:17 PM

Also, can he sleep on the floor in your room on a mattress for a while in transition?
He is going to feel he's been booted out for the baby, which in effect he has, so it won't be easy.

#5 sophiasmum

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:34 AM

You can ring sleep schools like Tresillian for advice, they might even do a home visit otherwise they can definitely give you advice over the phone. They have been invaluable for all of my babies.

#6 PurpleNess

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:34 PM

I'd suggest try moving the cot into your room , right up next to mums side of the bed so he can smell, see & hear you. Then once he's sleeping well you can start moving the cot away from the bed & eventually into his own room but it may take several weeks/months so be prepared.

You can not just pop him into his cot & hope for the best, he is scared, confused & has no idea what is going on. Also giving him a bottle in his cot is not recommended.

He's old enough to understand what you are saying to him but you have to guide him & let him know that he's safe etc.
'
So start with a bed time routine. Dinner, bath, bottle, books, bag ( sleeping bag) then bed.  All through this routine you will be recognizing babies tired cues & acknowledging them 'Yes bubba is tired, just going to have a bottle & some stories then into bed", be sure to repeat this type of thing ' now it's time for stories,then bed etc'

Don't put him into his cot until he is nice a calm, continue t talk him through it ' time for nigh nighs' etc.

You could try sitting next to the cot & singing twinkle twinkle or something similar until he settles, it may take some time but he just need to know that you are there. Keep asking him to lie down & go night nighs in a calm but no nonsense tone.

Be patient & consistent. Good Luck.

#7 ekbaby

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:47 PM

Great advice up above.

Will your partner be breastfeeding the new baby? If so, could you take over more of the bedtime routine with #1?

We have 2 children (4 yrs and 15 months) and one of us still stays with the 4yr old until he goes to sleep at night- this has just become my partners role since our #2 was born.

Provided that he's had an active day, followed by the same calm pre-bed routine (bath, PJs on, one book in bed, drink of water, then lights out/sleepy music on), and he's well, this usually doesn't take too long.

With a 15 month old I would probably try cuddling them in a rocking chair for a bit, putting them in the cot when sleepy, etc.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Ambulance service under fire: baby seats to go, response times 'worse than ever'

The NSW Ambulance Service is removing child-safety seats from ambulances, while the Victorian service is facing criticism over lengthy response times following the death of a three-year-old.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Is e-reading to your toddler story time or just screen time?

When reading increasingly means swiping pages on a device, and we're advised to read to their children early and often, should parents be turning to e-readers for storytime?

Community mourns inspiring young dad

A young dad who fought a five-year battle with cancer has been remembered for his inspiring legacy at a funeral service attended by hundreds of family and friends this week.

Meningococcal kills Queensland toddler

Public health authorities say the death of a toddler in north Queensland from meningococcal disease highlights the danger the illness poses.

Nicole Kidman: 'I hope every month that I'm pregnant'

Nicole Kidman is hoping to add to her family, but says she's doubtful it will happen.

Recall: Aldi Wooden London Bus play set

Aldi has announced a recall of their popular Wooden London Bus play set.

Great gift ideas for first birthdays

From soft toys to balance bikes, here are some great ideas for first birthday gifts.

Mum learnt she was pregnant hours before giving birth

Kim Walsh arrived at the doctor with abdominal cramps. Hours later, she was cradling the baby experts told her she could never have.

How cancer has made me a better, happier person

I'm a far better person post-cancer than I ever was before. The goal now is to stay around long enough to find out who I can become, and what I can achieve.

Pete Evans says a paleo diet can prevent autism. He's wrong

Pete Evans is not a paediatrician or even a nutritionist or dietitian. So why should we believe his extreme views and remove food groups from our children's diets over the advice from those more qualified?

Let's get back to commonsense parenting

Forget the new 'Lawnmower' parenting trend; try using plain old-fashioned commonsense instead.

Woman sues after having a mixed-race baby

A US woman is suing a sperm bank after it sent her vials from African-American man, instead of the white donor she had selected.

Bonding ideas dad will love

Dad may not say it, but he could be feeling lost, confused and seriously left out. However, there are lots of things new fathers can do to be more included in the excitement of pregnancy and new parenthood.

The house that hope built for childhood cancer

Baby Laelani Baker was diagnosed with cancer before she was even born. Her heartbreaking story is just one of the reasons the Build for a Cure project is raising money for vital research into childhood cancer.

Does stay-at-home parenting get better?

Parenting doesn’t ever get easier; the challenges just change. But the challenges of caring for young children definitely lessens as they get older.

Inquest into the short and tragic life of Chloe Valentine

As the first phase of an inquest into the death of Chloe Valentine drew to a close, there was no doubt Chloe's life was marred by appalling neglect.

When mothers kill

The act of killing one's child is unthinkable for most, and a mother who kills her offspring has a special power to inspire shock and revulsion.

6 beauty tips for tired mums

For those of us with young children, eight hours sleep is a distant memory. And while we can’t do much to secure more shut-eye, there are some ways to fake it.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Awkward grandparents

When Grandma and Grandpa pose for a snap with the kids, things can get very weird, very quickly.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.