Party bags

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 mum2twogirls

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:33 PM

My daughter is having her first party ever & is so so excited!!  biggrin.gif

She will be turning 10 & is having a disco theme for 13 friends.

I am totally puzzled though in what I include in the party bags.

Please help with some suggestions ...$$$ & allergies are not a problem.

#2 bailee

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:41 PM

If its for girls, I always put stationery stuff. Cute pens or erasers, etc. Last year I went to Officeworks and they have a stand with fancy rubber bands, miniature highlighters, bulldog clips, etc. I think it was $5 or $10 (two sizes) and you fill a container. I got a $5 one and we carefully filled the container and got heaps of little goodies to put in the party bags.

#3 baddmammajamma

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:41 PM

I would:

* Burn CD mixes of the songs that will be in heavy rotation at the party (perhaps let your daughter pick her favorites). We often give CD mixes as a party favor, and they are always a massive hit!

* Add in really funky colored (like neon) nail polish -- or get cheap funky bracelets/bangles

* Pop Rocks or some other lolly that turns your tongue funky colors

Hope she has a great time!

Edited by baddmammajamma, 16 February 2013 - 09:43 PM.

#4 AtotheZ

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:42 PM

For her age and theme i would have a party bag which included glow sticks/bracelets etc, something from smiggle eg. small notepad and pen, freddo's or other sweets etc.

If you have time you could make up cd's of the songs that were played as part of the disco

Sounds like a great party!

#5 sjl

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:43 PM

Hi

I have three boys but you got me thinking.  

Lipgloss, nail polish, stationery, lollies.  Enjoy your dds first ever party.

#6 Guest_*SnowFlower*_*

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:54 PM

Edited by *SnowFlower*, 20 February 2013 - 04:00 PM.

#7 WinterIsComing

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:04 PM

Just want to chime in that all things considered, party bags are abhorrent in environmental sense. We all know consumerism is impacting the environment in the most horrific way. Why add to the pile of unwanted, destined to be unused plastic garbage? Why are favour bags still being given, don't our children get enough in our bloated society?

#8 mum2twogirls

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:11 PM

QUOTE (bailee @ 16/02/2013, 10:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If its for girls, I always put stationery stuff. Cute pens or erasers, etc. Last year I went to Officeworks and they have a stand with fancy rubber bands, miniature highlighters, bulldog clips, etc. I think it was $5 or $10 (two sizes) and you fill a container. I got a $5 one and we carefully filled the container and got heaps of little goodies to put in the party bags.

Love these ideas!! & the CDs - how easy!!

It is her first party ever!!!
She is so excited!!

Wow!!!... In my eyes we are not handing out " unwanted plastic garbage" ... But just a small thank-you token for enjoying this special event with us ....

... Let kids be kids ...

#9 katpaws

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:40 AM

I would not include costmetic items. Some girls at ten are not allowed to wear nail polish, lip gloss etc. Also, cheap versions of these products, in my opinion, are not very nice or good to use.

For DD's parties i often use a party bag that has a theme, ie fairy party i have done a fairly bag up, beach party i got small beach buckets, etc.  This year DD had a movie theme party and i put the goods in paper popcorn boxes. I try to use containers that can be reused, ie mugs and cups, or recycled (cardboard).  I don't think i have ever used plastic bags.

Stationery items are very popular with young girls atm but to be honest a plastic bag full of lollies is something they would be happy with.

#10 Halcyon~

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:55 AM

Just wanted to add we just zip lock bags as lolly bags and print up an a5 piece of paper/card with a thank you note and picture of theme. Fold card in half and staple to top of bag.

#11 Chelli

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:07 AM

Hi,
I have just moved this into the Party forum wherebyou will be able to see many ideas for party bags etc original.gif

Chelli

#12 Julie3Girls

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:25 AM

Pretty stationary always go down well with that age, and gets used (so not junky clutter)
Lip smackers are good ... It's a Chapstick rather than makeup, although you aren't likely to get many complaints about lip gloss with a 10yr old party.
A few lollies .. Let your daughter pick out some stuff
Bracelet/bangle each .. Decent quality.

Oh and I'd pass on the cd copying ... My girls have a lot of cyber education, and I know part of that covered illegal copying of music and movies. I'd just be hesitant to do it on a full party scale.

They really don't need a lot in there. For a disco party, I'd probably do some glow stuff at the party as well.

#13 mindy05

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:17 AM

I saw a great idea recently- make some giant cookies, a bit smaller than the size of cds. Put them in those paper cd sleeves, and seal the tops. These are a great alternative to lots of smaller lollies.

#14 Arthur or Martha

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:07 AM

Edited by ambwrose, 02 September 2013 - 08:04 PM.

#15 Guest_*SnowFlower*_*

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:28 PM

QUOTE (Julie3Girls @ 17/02/2013, 10:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh and I'd pass on the cd copying ... My girls have a lot of cyber education, and I know part of that covered illegal copying of music and movies. I'd just be hesitant to do it on a full party scale.

I agree it is piracy and a good way to end up in court. Even for such a small crime.

#16 Beancat

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:34 PM

QUOTE (WinterIsComing @ 16/02/2013, 11:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just want to chime in that all things considered, party bags are abhorrent in environmental sense. We all know consumerism is impacting the environment in the most horrific way. Why add to the pile of unwanted, destined to be unused plastic garbage? Why are favour bags still being given, don't our children get enough in our bloated society?

Really?  Its a little girl's birthday party, I am sure the Mum can reduce her impact on the environment in other ways.  Let the poor girl and her friends have some girly fun sad.gif

#17 blenheim

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:42 PM

I can think of plenty of other things that are abhorrent rather than party bags....

Anyway - I like the stationery idea - or perhaps hair accessories?

#18 Feral_Pooks

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:47 PM

QUOTE (WinterIsComing @ 16/02/2013, 11:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In fact, why have a party at all? So wasteful. Much better to all stay at home and hand sew some homespun hemp pajamas.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, out now on DVD, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s pre-school or day care!

Toddler freed after getting trapped in escalator

A shopping centre escalator needed to be pulled apart to free a toddler's trapped hand.

Why I'm kind of excited about my daughter's nits

Is it weird to say that I am secretly thrilled to find that my daughter Edie has nits?

Baby born at 10:11 on 12-13-14

Well, it's actually 13-12-14 to us over here. But still, Clare Elizabeth Keane's consecutive numerical birth time is pretty special.

On holding tightly and loving fiercely

We can't live in fear. This post is about Christmas and how at this time we should be celebrating life and grateful for what we have: our loved ones who we cherish fiercely.

Babies, relatives and coping with Christmas day

Everyone will love your baby but your baby may not be so happy to be passed around a lot of new people - nor may you want to feed with an audience.

Why I won't be posting pictures of my baby on Facebook

There are pros and cons to this policy.

The myths and truths of gender swaying

Here are a few popular methods hopeful parents-to-be use to try to get a baby of their preferred gender – and what an expert says about whether they really work.

10 easy DIY Christmas decoration ideas

It's officially time to get into the Christmas spirit. Why not branch out when you put up your tree this year and add a personal touch with a few DIY decorations? We've found the perfect easy-to-make ways to put more festive fever into your home.

The dangerous new trend of glucose challenge test refusal

A dangerous trend is seeing more mothers-to-be declining a relatively simple and painless test to check for gestational diabetes.

Office of Fair Trading reveals naughty toys ahead of Christmas

The Office of Fair Trading has pulled seven toys from shelves ahead of Christmas after they fail safety tests.

Video: Baby boy's trouble with twins

These twin girls will no doubt have fun fooling people in years to come, but nobody will be as confused as baby Landon.

Long-term reversible male contraceptive on its way

Men could soon have access to an injectable long-term contraceptive which works in a similar way to a vasectomy but promises to be easily reversed.

'I tried to kill my baby': one mum's story

After bathing and dressing her three-month-old son, Amanda had a rare moment alone with her baby.

Attack of the 'mummy brain'

I feel that almost every day, someone in my life - be they a friend, family member or complete stranger - feels the need to excuse my behaviour as I have other things on my mind.

Mum of baby who fell ill after drinking raw milk speaks out

A Melbourne mother has described how her son turned grey when he became seriously ill after drinking raw milk.

Australian divorce rate lowest since 1976

Modern newlyweds are now well into their 30s and marriage still offers something powerful a new book argues.

The aftermath of a traumatic birth experience

In Australia, 30 per cent of women find their birth experience traumatic, with 6 per cent going on to develop post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

Young mum burns 'from inside-out'

A young mum is in intensive care after she took a friend's antibiotic and wound up with an ailment that is burning her body 'from the inside-out'.

The disagreement that can break a relationship

If he doesn't change his mind, all I can hope is that I will. It would be a waste to spend the rest of my marriage mourning a baby that never was.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.