Year 5 school camp to Canberra

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 SMforshort

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:55 PM

Hi everyone,

My son is in year 5 in a school in Sydney.  Each year my son's school has an excursion to canberra and one is again planned for this year.

Each year this excursion leaves the school at about 6am by bus.  They travel to Canberra and visit Parliament House (new and old), the electoral commission and the war memorial and then they travel back to school on the bus arriving at about 9pm.

It's a big day.

Over the years a few parents have tried to get the school to consider making this a two day trip with an overnight stay in Canberra but this has always been knocked back.  The school says this would make the trip too expensive and then some parents would not be able to send their kids and they'd miss out.

Our school also doesn't have a school camp at all for the same stated reasons - too expensive and some kids would miss out.

So, I'd love to put together a costing for an overnight trip to Canberra from Sydney just to see how expensive it would be and if parents might consider this option this year.

Entry fees would be the same but the bus hire would be for two days (although the mileage would be pretty similar), we would need to factor in accommodation and catering.

Am I missing anything?  Does anyone have any recommendations for cheap accomodation and catering in Canberra.

We are talking about 50 kids and I'm guessing 6-8 teachers/parents.

If anyone has primary aged kids who've recently had a similar two day trip to Canberra, can I ask how much it cost and where the kids stayed?

Thanks for you help.

#2 KT1978

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:21 PM

From which direction are they traveling?

Any sports n rec or scout camp options along the way?

Sorry just saw it was from Sydney....

Edited by KT1978, 16 February 2013 - 02:23 PM.

#3 KT1978

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:25 PM

Google says camp cottermouth could be an option.

#4 chunkysoup

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:36 PM

I work in a very small public school in sydney. We run a 5-6 canberra camp every second year alternating with the great aussie bush camp. Both are 3 day camps. About 45 children and 3 teachers attend. It costs a few hundred dollars which include a visit to the snow and lesson when it is to canberra. My eldest duaghter is going on camp to canberra later in the year. She attends a different public school. It will be for 2 nights. I have worked in low ses schools in western sydney and the canberra trip was always 3 days. Parents will pay if given the option to pay in installments. Please excuse spelling errors...on a tablet.

#5 Flutters

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:38 PM

I think a lot of school groups stay at the Canberra Lyneham motor inn do maybe contact them for a ball park figure?

#6 liveworkplay

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:45 PM

All Catholic grade 6 students in Tasmania go on a 4 night trip to Canberra.  So if you wanted details of accommodation/food just google TCEO and email them. The entire trip costs us around $900 I think as it is paid in the levies in grade 6 so that people can work out a payment plan if needed and pay over 2 years.

Edited by liveworkplay, 16 February 2013 - 02:47 PM.

#7 bandbub

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:51 PM

when i was in primary school we did a 3day2 night canberra trip, we stayed at the edmund barton motor inn, went to parliment house, war memorial institute of sport telstra tower cockington green, i cant remember how much it was but i know they sorted out payment plans for parents they organised it at the start of the year so parents had plenty of notice, we also had camps every year for year 3 through to year 6

#8 Yogurtbliss

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:52 PM

The Carotel is perfectly set up for school groups, though usually booked well in advance. When I have arranged this trip we have used Away we Go Tours, who do all the bookings, itinerary etc.
Be mindful of the hidden cost of having to replace teachers at school. I presume that more than just the class(es) own teachers go, thus the school needs to get relief teachers? About $360 a day to replace each teacher.
Also, each student would possibly attract a PACER rebate from the government? Google it to find out how much per student
Good luck!

#9 tibs

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:56 PM

My son's school (public primary Sydney) has a school camp to Canberra, it is 3 days/2 nights and they visit the things you've mentioned (Parliament House, Electoral Education Questacon, War Memorial, National Gallery, AIS Tower etc).  Parents had to pay $275.  The school offered a payment plan for parents spread from start of the year through to May when the camp was held, I think it was $75 for the first payment then $50 for the next 4. That covered the buses, accommodation, entry fees and meals except for the first day where they had to take their recess and lunch with them.

#10 Jenferal

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:25 PM

I may be a bit biased, but my lord, there's SO much more to do in Canberra than the 3 things your school does OP! I'm a bit amazed at how little they get to see here. The art gallery, the dinosaur museum, Questacon, Cockington Green, AIS, the list goes on!
I would assume at least 2 day;'s worth easily and no 6 am starts and trying to fit it all in on one day.

#11 Rolex

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:35 PM

I'm in Brisbane (with year 7 still being in primary school for now) and our school goes every 2 years with the 6/7's.  My eldest is year 7 this year and they're going in October.  So far we've been told it will be "approximately" $900, but of course for us this includes airfares.  We paid deposits at the end of last year, when we were also told the approximate cost, so parents have a long time to budget for the trip.

Can't help yet with where they're staying though!  Good luck with your submission - seems crazy to do it all in a day.

#12 Soontobegran

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:43 PM

I think your school is doing Canberra a disservice. It has so much to offer our school children that should not be crammed into a single day.
Our school camps were Monday to Friday from Victoria and we filled every single moment.
The lessons they learn are invaluable.
If the school plans well ahead there can be fund raisers and perhaps the choice of payment plans if needed.
There are many hotel/motels and camping sites that are geared towards providing accommodation for school groups.

#13 Feral Grey Mare

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:47 PM

Our local primary school will no longer have overnight camps unless they are to an established camp ground with it's own staff to supervise the children (e.g. Great Aussie Bush Camp at Tea Gardens NSW). The staff pulled the pin on camps about three years ago - the teachers simply did not want the added responsibility. No amount of pleading or offers of assistance from parents were anough to change their minds unfortunately.

#14 Appletree25

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:50 PM

I'm a secondary teacher currently on leave but am aware of a program called PACER - Parliament & Civic Education Rebate.  Schools over 150 kms from the capital are entitled to a subsidy, the further away you are the bigger the subsidy/rebate.
Schools must complete an application but I can not remember how many months before this needs to occur. Maybe suggest that to your childs  school as there a number a venues.

#15 Lyn29

Posted 16 February 2013 - 06:51 PM

Edited by bye, 29 March 2013 - 02:36 PM.

#16 be_a_butterfly

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:06 PM

I am sure my daughter stayed at Camp Cottermouth two years ago.

Every second year stage 3 go to Canberra for 2 nights, this year it is costing me $260 for everything in Canberra plus a day at the snow.

I think they visit the questacon, war memorial, mint, parliament houses, AEC, AIS. The inclusion to Thredbo is new this year for us. We were given a note at the end of last year so we could start to pay it off at the office if we wished.

#17 Feral-Lausii

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:08 PM

Dd 12 had her year 6 one last year. It was around $250 3 days, 2 nights. They also had a trip to the snow included. We had plenty of notice to get it paid off and I don't think anyone missed out. All that in one day sounds like way too much, you have to wonder how much of it they will take in?

#18 elizabethany

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:26 PM

Lyneham Motor Inn has been fully booked for the ANU as student accomodation, so you can't use that anymore.  Camp Cottermouth (the local scout camp) has male and female barrack type accomodation, but is self catering. They could look at the YHA, I know quite a few school groups go there, and at least it is (partially) catered.  There are camps a bit out of town, such as Birrigai or Greenhills, which accomodate school groups, though Greenhills is run by the uniting church.

I agree with STBG, there is so much to do here that it would be great to have a few more days, especially the National Museum.

#19 emum

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:19 AM

I was going to mention PACER, too.  http://www.civicsand...du.au/cce...cer),18103.html

The primary school my elder two used to attend stayed at Camp Cottermouth to reduce costs, although I can't be sure how much it was, as their school fees were all-inclusive.

Good luck !

Cheers,
Sally original.gif

#20 Arthur or Martha

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:16 AM

Edited by ambwrose, 03 September 2013 - 06:40 AM.

#21 Georgie Boy

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:16 AM

At my sons primary school,they went to canberra every second yr.They also incorporated a trip to the snow and hydro electric scheme.They stayed in Berridale which is outside of Canberra.
Louise

#22 Bluenomi

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:28 AM

I know a lot of school groups stay at the YHA in O'Connor, it's pretty cheap. Birrigai and Greenhills are both a far way out of town and hopefully have improved since I stayed there as a kid!

Entry into APH, OPH, War Memorial is free so that isn't costing them anything. I suspect the bus is the biggest charge but spreading the trip over 2 days shouldn't increae it that much

#23 Floral Arrangement

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:37 AM

DD14 went from Adelaide to Canberra, a day trip to Sydney, by bus, it was a 5 day trip, cost us 350.00. They stayed in cabins at a caravan park which Dd liked. We gave her spending money as well. Most food was included in that cost. I know that it was subsidised.

#24 MrsLexiK

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:00 AM

And what if the teachers don't want to stay over night.  Because it is a big day for the students you are going to source accom and put together a list when the school has told you that they don't stay over night because it would be too costly for alot of parents and thus not all children will attend.  Not only will you have to pay for your child but you are going to have to fund the teachers and parents as well, I wouldn't be too pleased if previously I had been employed to do a work excursion for 1 day (albeit a very long day) but then was told I would need to do an overnighter.  Your child will probably come home just as tired (if not more) from the overnighter then they would by doing it in one day.  And the teachers will be cranky too. I think you are wasting your time.

#25 cward

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:55 AM

Our school does two camps, we are in Sydney.  One in year 5 to the Blue Mountains which is a leadership development camp and then one in Year 6 to Canberra.  I think both are 3 days/2 nights and I think the cost is around the $250 mark, its just added on to our fees.

We have approximately 50 kids also and two teachers go and then usually either the principal or the vice principal go.  They haven't used parents for about 4 years unless there is no male teacher at the school then they will take a dad.

The Canberra trip even over 3 days is jam packed but the kids and teachers have a fantastic time.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

New mum Megan goes topless

Megan Gale has posed topless for magazine's 'sexiest people' issue, five months after welcoming her son.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.