Help, how did you manage you highly active baby?
My 5 month old is crawling and trying to stand.

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Froggilicious

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:13 AM

Hi all,
I have an insanely clued in an active 5 month old. As an example she just overbalanced, banged her head, looked to see if anyone was watching, couldn't see anyone so decided not to cry. She has been crawling backwards since 4 months, forwards at 4.5 months and now at only just 5 months has started trying to stand up.
We spent the last week at sleep school because she wont sleep, mainly because she just cant seem to switch off and relax unless being fed, and will suck all night give the chance. I am simply too exhaused to keep this up and am struggling to find the balance between providing enough stimulation for her and not overstimulating her. All the staff at the sleep school were blown away by her activity levels and hadn't seen a baby like her in quite some time, if ever.
She is generally a happy baby so long and no one is trying to put her to sleep, but I am worn out. I figure we cant be the only ones to have a baby like this and would love to hearhow others managed.
Thanks

#2 CFMummy

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:18 AM

Are you talking about my baby? DD2 was axactly the same crawle at 5 months started standing and walking round furniture at about 7 months. Luckily she decided crawling was faster so didnt walk till 17 months. She would climb anything in sight. She also fed all night. She moved into her own room at 10 months and at 3 is still very active but sleeps well at night.
Hang in there it does get better but it will be a slow improvment

#3 happygurl06

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:35 AM

I'm still trying to work that out!  DS is 14 months and never stops!  My MIL who had 8 kids has said she's never seen one like him.  Always on the go.  Never sits unless it for a quick meal in the high chair.  

He stands on our knee rather than sits, he stands in the bath, stands next to me if I'm reading a story (only recently have I been able to turn more than one page before he wanders off)

Feeds to sleep or in the pram.  I have never been able to rock him to sleep or put him down awake.

How I cope:  barely!
I rotate toys often.  He has one tub in the lounge, one in the hallway and one in his room.  That way he can wander around and stop and play.  He loves to just wander around though, and run up and down the hall, especially if I roll a ball up and down for him to chase.

I discovered I can keep him in one place by putting on hi5.  He is happy to groove and dance to a whole episode while I do dishes etc.

He got a small jungle gym for his first birthday that had a slide and ball pit ect.  It's in his room.  I can sit and relax in the rocker while he plays.

We spend a lot of time outside, he loves to throw balls around, push his trailer, play in DD's cubby.

Bad mum moment:  if I need to get something done and he is not asleep I put some hundreds and thousand on his high chair tray and strap him in.  It keeps him occupied for at least 15-20 mins before he gets cranky.

ETA:  he was also crawling early, cruising furniture at 6 months, running at 10 months.  When he was younger Ispent a lot of time on the floor with him, singing songs being a human jumping castle, constantly chasing him around etc.  it got easier for me when he started walking and was able to entertain himself a bit.  Close to sleep times I popped on music and tried to keep him a bit calmer than normal but essentially the only time he was still was feeding and sleeping.

Edited by happygurl06, 16 February 2013 - 08:54 AM.

#4 Jenferal

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:40 AM

Hundreds and thousands? That's a bit genius lol.

#5 lucky 2

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:13 PM

if I need to get something done and he is not asleep I put some hundreds and thousand on his high chair tray and strap him in.

laughing2.gif

#6 Peppery

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:27 PM

I don't belong in this section but my now 4 year old was exactly the same at that age.

I still don't manage, I fall into bed each night exhausted. She has boundless energy.

No advice but lots of sympathy

#7 halcyondays

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:35 PM

I tried going out a lot - beach in summer, parks in winter, playgroup/library just out. I felt a bit like a nomad, but he did sleep in the pram or car eventually and I then took the opportunity to pull over and have a sleep myself or sit on a park bench for a while. I never got any cooking done, and the house was fairly untidy.
I think the outtings exhausted me more than my baby, but it was better than being exhausted at home with him getting into danger the moment I blinked.
Mine grew out of it when he learned to walk, thank goodness.

#8 Peppery

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:38 PM

Actually I just thought of some advice - once my DD was able to run (she never really walked) at 12 months. I had to find activities to wear her out. We went to the park as much as we could, outside play was my saviour.

At 4 she attends preschool 3 days a week, dancing, swimming, multiple trips to the park and a big long ride on her scooter each night. Plus she plays outside a lot of the time so she can run around.

Her father was exactly the same.

#9 Froggilicious

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:54 PM

Oh happygurl I hope my DD is not that extreme that sounds full on. Thanks for the suggestions though. I think I am looking forward to her walking so she can entertain herself a little more. It might also be time to invest in a cleaner for a bit so the house has some semblance of order.

From the sounds of it the answer is hang on and enjoy the ride and hope she learns to sleep at some point.

#10 bikingbubs

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:58 PM

No advice, mine is almost 2 and not slowed down - although I am getting used to it I guess...

#11 happygurl06

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:21 PM

Oh yes, we have cleaners!  I still have to tidy but don't have to worry about the showers, mirrors, dust etc.

Baby gates!

I just had a blissful 20 mins laying on the floor allowing my two to blow raspberries on my tummy... At least I got to lie down wink.gif

Edited by happygurl06, 16 February 2013 - 04:26 PM.

#12 Froggilicious

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:15 PM

Ah yes baby gates, must get some soon.

Blowing raspberries on you tummy. That's gorgeous. I think I must remember to enjoy the gorgeous things she does and not just get overwhelmed but her completely relentless nature.

#13 mandala

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:43 PM

I had a friend who would strap her DD into her stroller for all naps. It was the only way to get her to stay still long enough to fall asleep! At least her DD slept well at night, probably from exhaustion.

I had an extremely active, alert baby, and we found that once he started sleeping better, the craziness calmed down and he was much more manageable. However, he was younger and therefore less mobile, so it was easier for us to get him in his cot and ready for sleep. Once he started sleeping better he also was less distressed and didn't need to suck to calm himself so much. We also learned that he would self-settle better with minimal assistance and stimulation.

Good luck. I hope she calms down a little soon!

#14 kadoodle

Posted 16 February 2013 - 06:12 PM

My now 4yo DD2 is/was like this.  She's a ginger tornado with attitude.  I just keep her schedule as busy and constant as I can to give her less time for getting up to mischief and being destructive.

It doesn't have to be expensive stuff, but things like trips to the park, playdates with friends, gardening, baking, cooking and craft.  We also do kindergarten and swimming lessons.  Swimming is great for tiring them out.

#15 Mummy Em

Posted 16 February 2013 - 06:29 PM

My almost 4 year old sounds a little like that. She is still often up a couple of times in the night and she is very over-excitable and intense. Honestly, I tried a lot of different things and in the end it came down to doing what I could to contain her and keep her safe whilst looking after myself. We co-slept, once she was walking everywhere I used a harness to control her at the shops and I stay close to her and keep her under direct supervision as much as possible.

She doesn't usually draw for long, prefers craft activities that are very messy and sensory and although she likes books she is usually only interested in them at bedtime, so those activities are not effective ways to get a bit of peace. If I need her to be quiet for a while (for my sanity) or I need to get something done I put the tv on. Not ideal, but it gives us both a break from one another.

#16 Feral-Lausii

Posted 16 February 2013 - 06:48 PM

All my girls were crawling at 5 months and walking at 9 months. I can remember what worked with dd who is now 3. A jolly jumper was awesome, she loved jumping in that thing. I would leave empty egg cartons, toilet rolls, glad wrap rolls etc around. She would happily play with those for ages. Apart from that I just kept the house as safe as I possibly could for her to explore.

She's 3 now, still active as ever and just doesn't seem to run out of energy!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, out now on DVD, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s pre-school or day care!

Toddler freed after getting trapped in escalator

A shopping centre escalator needed to be pulled apart to free a toddler's trapped hand.

Why I'm kind of excited about my daughter's nits

Is it weird to say that I am secretly thrilled to find that my daughter Edie has nits?

Baby born at 10:11 on 12-13-14

Well, it's actually 13-12-14 to us over here. But still, Clare Elizabeth Keane's consecutive numerical birth time is pretty special.

On holding tightly and loving fiercely

We can't live in fear. This post is about Christmas and how at this time we should be celebrating life and grateful for what we have: our loved ones who we cherish fiercely.

Babies, relatives and coping with Christmas day

Everyone will love your baby but your baby may not be so happy to be passed around a lot of new people - nor may you want to feed with an audience.

Why I won't be posting pictures of my baby on Facebook

There are pros and cons to this policy.

The myths and truths of gender swaying

Here are a few popular methods hopeful parents-to-be use to try to get a baby of their preferred gender – and what an expert says about whether they really work.

10 easy DIY Christmas decoration ideas

It's officially time to get into the Christmas spirit. Why not branch out when you put up your tree this year and add a personal touch with a few DIY decorations? We've found the perfect easy-to-make ways to put more festive fever into your home.

The dangerous new trend of glucose challenge test refusal

A dangerous trend is seeing more mothers-to-be declining a relatively simple and painless test to check for gestational diabetes.

Office of Fair Trading reveals naughty toys ahead of Christmas

The Office of Fair Trading has pulled seven toys from shelves ahead of Christmas after they fail safety tests.

Video: Baby boy's trouble with twins

These twin girls will no doubt have fun fooling people in years to come, but nobody will be as confused as baby Landon.

Long-term reversible male contraceptive on its way

Men could soon have access to an injectable long-term contraceptive which works in a similar way to a vasectomy but promises to be easily reversed.

'I tried to kill my baby': one mum's story

After bathing and dressing her three-month-old son, Amanda had a rare moment alone with her baby.

Attack of the 'mummy brain'

I feel that almost every day, someone in my life - be they a friend, family member or complete stranger - feels the need to excuse my behaviour as I have other things on my mind.

Mum of baby who fell ill after drinking raw milk speaks out

A Melbourne mother has described how her son turned grey when he became seriously ill after drinking raw milk.

Australian divorce rate lowest since 1976

Modern newlyweds are now well into their 30s and marriage still offers something powerful a new book argues.

The aftermath of a traumatic birth experience

In Australia, 30 per cent of women find their birth experience traumatic, with 6 per cent going on to develop post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

Young mum burns 'from inside-out'

A young mum is in intensive care after she took a friend's antibiotic and wound up with an ailment that is burning her body 'from the inside-out'.

The disagreement that can break a relationship

If he doesn't change his mind, all I can hope is that I will. It would be a waste to spend the rest of my marriage mourning a baby that never was.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Co-sleeping or no-sleeping? Mum videos worst nap ever

One mother's futile attempt to sleep in caught on camera in a hilarious - and very cute - video.

Why children misbehave during the festive season

While we all like to imagine the holiday season as being a fun, loving and bonding experience; often our reality is quiet different.

I was fat-shamed by my doctor

The fear of being weighed is the most significant factor in women cancelling medical appointments - and now weight-shaming has happened to me.

End of an era: no more childcare

As we reach the end of 2014, we're closing the book on many things for another year, most notably childcare. Our last child has attended childcare for the very last time.

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, out now on DVD, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s pre-school or day care!

The 7-year itch is more like the 10-year itch: study

Contrary to popular belief, making it past the seven-year mark doesn't mean your marriage will be smooth sailing from there on.

Should children be forced to sit on Santa's lap?

We teach kids it’s okay to say no if they don’t feel safe, so why do some parents force their children to climb in to Santa's lap?

Stop telling us that parenting gets harder

I’m sure that parenting will get harder. But life isn’t exactly smooth sailing for many of us right now, either.

Baby born weighing almost 14 pounds

Yes, the bouncing baby girl was born by caesarean section. And mum says no more kids.

The dummy debate

I'm the first to admit that when I used to see tiny babies with dummies in their mouths, I thought "Hmm, lazy parenting." And now I apologise.

'I thought I was an only child'

Imagine meeting your double at a school sports event, or regularly being mistaken for someone you haven't met. Separated twins Margaret and Joy tell their story.

Carers admit to force-feeding children

As Sydney grieves the loss of Sydney siege victims Katrina Dawson and Tori Johnson, reports have suggested that both died as heroes.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.