Your baby's wardrobe

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 mrs.meatball

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:03 AM

I'm waaay ahead of time for baby shopping but I thought I'd get a head-start on what should be in a newborn's wardrobe, as I'm planning on going on a first shopping trip soon.

So, I'm wondering what's in your baby's closet? As in how many and what kinds of clothes (color, style...) you've got.
What did you get for your baby shower?
How did you go about building a wardrobe and what did you watch for?
What are your must-haves? No-goes?
Anything cute/useful/sweet you'd recommend for a baby girl?
And what about a take-me-home outfit?

Wow, question overload, sorry! But I really am wondering about your inventory as I'm completely overwhelmed with all the cute onesies out there!

#2 Jo-Anna

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:12 AM

I would avoid out fits that button up at the back. I also wouldn't bother buying any dresses till they are of walking age. If it is to be a winter babe, some beanies are handy.
For me, all in one suits (such as the bonds wonder suit) are the best, for day and night. And don't go crazy on 0000's, my DS was born straight into 000. Good luck and have fun!

#3 Feral timtam

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:33 AM

My youngest has
Bodysuits
singlets
socks
2 pairs trousers
1 cardigan
1 pair of shoes
4 sleeping bags (we use cloth nappies so we occasionally have overnight leaks necessitating a sleeping bag change)

As a newborn he had a handknitted layette which included a cardigan, booties and beanie. He also wore the layettes made for my older two.

My first was dressed in gorgeous outfits that were totally impractical. I didn't have to spend a cent on him  because the extended family went overboard on spoiling him. First grandchild on one side, only grandchild they could spoil on the other.

#4 Dylan's Mummy

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:49 AM

It's best to dress them in 1 piece outfits when they are little. They look so cute, cuddly and comfortable in them. Don't get the ones that just button down 1 leg, they are a bit of a pain to out on. press studs down the front, and down (or partly down) each leg are easiest to dress bub in.

I had some pants and tops for my bub but he hardly ever wore them. A lot of pants have tight waist bands which little bubs with full tummies don't need. It you get pants make sure the waist bands are soft. For tips and bottoms, get the one piece singlets because tops ride up and those singlets will keep bub's tummy warm.

I found that my bub didn't really need bulky jumpers, we are in Queensland and it doesn't get as cold as it does in some states.

If you find an outfit that you really like or that bub looks really good in, go and buy another one in the next size up.

I like Target singlets the best because they are a bit longer than other brands.

For night time sleeping, I dressed bub in wonder suit type outfits (Bonds, Target, Big W) that have little a fold over bit on the hands, it keeps their hands warm in winter and stops them from scratching themselves.  Mittens can be pretty useless because most of me are too big. I used socks for my bub. I have noticed that Pumpkin Patch have mittens that look like they would be alright.

For my baby shower I didn't get many clothes. I did get several different packs that they had put together (and one from work too) that had lots of baby lotion, sorbalene cream and shampoo; I have used practically none of these things.

Edited by Dylan's Mummy, 16 February 2013 - 07:57 AM.

#5 Feral Mozzie

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:00 AM

We were given so many clothes at our baby shower, and then even more when she was born ( we didn't know what we were having, so when she was a girl everyone ran out and bought pink stuff). I wouldn't buy anything until right near the end of your pregnancy.

The one thing we didn't have was any warm clothes (summer baby), so when we were hit with a cold day we had to wrap her in a blanket. So make sure you have 1-2 outfits for the opposite season.

#6 Red nut

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:22 AM

Target singlets don't fit over our little one's big head! I echo the front fastening sentiment, and weather appropriate onsies all the way. And don't go overboard on a going home outfit, unless you're expecting some paparazzi! You'll have other things on your mind than what bubs is wearing, and they'll be wrapped or in a blanket the whole time

#7 zrello

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:54 AM

Google buying for baby or similar, there are heaps of lists.  There are lots of threads on this as well, and most of the baby stores have a checklist too.  
For me personally, i hated those kimono style wrap cardigans or onesies, they are just a pita. Get a pretty cardigan in a neutral colour for each size, which can dress up a onsie, or go with anything. I love overalls, they are easy to use, the t shirt won't ride up like with jeans, and they always look cute. Don't bother with shoes, its so hard to know the size until they are ready for them.  If you will have onsies on most of the time, you don't need many socks, unless its super cold.
If you are buying wraps, I like the cotton jersey ( tshirt material) ones, as they are stretchy and get tighter than flannel.
Make sure everything can be soaked in napisan or similar, and watch for dark colours that will run.  Don't get anything for everyday wear that will need ironing or special hand washing.
If you are planning on having  more kids, its worth spending a bit more on good quality.  On the other hand, if you have a spewy baby, its good to get lots of cheap onsies you can wear to death and throw out.
body suits with the envelope neck (cross over flap) are best, as they can go be taken off by pulling up or down, great for a poo explosion, so ÿou don't get it all over their head (I know it seems impossible now, but it will happen!) - some pèople don't like them though because they are more open on the chest, but I never had a problem.
I think I've had every brand of onsies, but keep coming back to bonds, and the sets from mothercare. And the bodysuits from target.  If you are tall, you may prefer onsies with the roll down feet / socks, as normal onsies will be too short with the feet.

#8 DragonsGrace

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:35 AM

I will probably be going against the grain here but I prefer to dress Dd in separates, I found onesies (both short and long sleeved/legged) a pain. dd is quite long but skinny so I found that the bodies of the onesies were too short but she isn't fat enough to go up s size without being too big around the middle. Her feet are also too big for the feet in bonds suits and basically anything with feet. And I have also found that by dressing top and bottom separately it's easier to change if she poos/wees or spews coz you only need to do half. And I like those suits that have the studs across the middle and only down one leg coz dd kicks a lot when having nsppy changed its easy to pop one leg in the intact side and only have to deal with one leg. I find it quicker now to do a nighttime bum change since I started using them. And I like dd in dresses esp when it's hot coz the are loose and don't need bottoms but still cover her nappy. I do put bonds baby tails on her when going out though

Eta - also with the separates issue - we have quite erratic temps here, might be very cold in morning but hot later, by doing separates I can either take off her bottoms to keep her cool or change from long sleeved to short easily without having to completely undress her. Oh and you also have a bigger range in your wardrobe coz you can mix and match, I love picking out outfits every day

Edited by DragonsGrace, 19 February 2013 - 10:40 AM.

#9 stressnless9

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:55 AM

zip onesies!!! at 2am when your totally buggered and havent slept in a long long time, the last thing you want to be doing is 100 buttons up! i found this out the hard way brought all the botton ones ended up all wonky and had to start again so i went out and brought a heap of zip ones instead.

I also used rompers as singlets because the singlets ride up their back and i think it would be so uncomfy!!

#10 stressnless9

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:58 AM

QUOTE (DragonsGrace @ 19/02/2013, 10:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I will probably be going against the grain here but I prefer to dress Dd in separates, I found onesies (both short and long sleeved/legged) a pain. dd is quite long but skinny so I found that the bodies of the onesies were too short but she isn't fat enough to go up s size without being too big around the middle. Her feet are also too big for the feet in bonds suits and basically anything with feet. And I have also found that by dressing top and bottom separately it's easier to change if she poos/wees or spews coz you only need to do half. And I like those suits that have the studs across the middle and only down one leg coz dd kicks a lot when having nsppy changed its easy to pop one leg in the intact side and only have to deal with one leg. I find it quicker now to do a nighttime bum change since I started using them. And I like dd in dresses esp when it's hot coz the are loose and don't need bottoms but still cover her nappy. I do put bonds baby tails on her when going out though

Eta - also with the separates issue - we have quite erratic temps here, might be very cold in morning but hot later, by doing separates I can either take off her bottoms to keep her cool or change from long sleeved to short easily without having to completely undress her. Oh and you also have a bigger range in your wardrobe coz you can mix and match, I love picking out outfits every day

agree! i only used onsies for night time, i had a chunky baby with short legs so they didnt always fit quite right but were good for sleeping in. Other than that hes always been in pants/tights, long sleeve tops or tees. He was such a hot baby so i was constantly having to take pants or a top off!

#11 mandala

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:57 PM

Keep the tags on everything bar the smallest sizes. I found that DS was such a little bub that he didn't fit into any of the stuff I bought for the first few months, and by the time he did fit into them, it was too cold to wear them!

#12 premmie_29weeks

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:46 PM

I had a march baby about bought the following

6 onesies in size 000
(both boys were over 3.5kgs and were out of the 0000 within a week of birth)
6 under singlets
6 long sleeve singlets
4 love me baby wraps with the zip up front (I can't wrap for anything so these were a god send
4 muslin baby wraps
12 old style cloth nappies for wiping up
Couple of cotton cot blankets

My grandmother made some flannel baby wraps which were also great for our freezing 2012 Sydney winter.

I think it also depends when baby is born. My September baby had pretty much the same, most of it was handed down actually, though there were more short sleeves for daytime

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'Tired' mum dies of undiagnosed diabetes

New mum Nicky Rigby thought her exhaustion was due to the demands of looking after her baby. But the 26-year-old was seriously ill with diabetes, and died due to her condition not being diagnosed.

20 signs of a great relationship

The secret to a perfect relationship is admitting you are wrong after an argument, five kisses a day and sex twice a week, a new survey suggests.

Video: emotional 60-second Robin Williams tribute

Take a minute to remember some of the greatest films of your childhood ... and have a few tissues close at hand.

The realities of escaping domestic violence

?Why doesn?t she just leave?? is the common question people ask when trying to understand domestic violence. For many, leaving the relationship is far from straightforward.

Home truths: the DIY dos and don'ts

A professional renovator gives advice on which jobs you should do yourself, and which you should outsource.

Parenting lessons I?ve yet to learn

Instead of writing about the stuff I do know since becoming a mum, I thought I'd share some of the things I don't. These are the lessons that motherhood hasn't taught me.

Will I be wrecked 'down there' after birth?

Did you worry about how you would look "down there" after giving birth? This mum-to-be found plenty of women willing to share their knowledge.

The new weekend playgroup for working mums

Playgroups are great for kids and parents alike - but the downside is that they often meet during the week, leaving working mums out of the loop.

Letting your toddler be the boss at bedtime

Sick of spending hours trying to get your toddler to sleep? These experts say giving your child more of a say at bedtime might be the answer.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

Consulting 'Dr Google' when you're pregnant

We're all guilty of turning to the internet for a quick answer when we need medical advice, but Dr Google should be approached with caution - especially when you're pregnant.

16 ways to tie a scarf

Scarfs are the perfect winter accessory. Whether you're freezing at soccer training or wanting to add a splash of colour to a monochrome top, the right scarf will sort you out in no time. Just ask Nina Proudman.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

The simple way to support other parents

We may be raising children of different ages and sexes, with different personalities, but we, as parents, aren't that different - we all have similar struggles, fears, doubts, responsibilities.

Seeing the big picture when it comes to parenting

Sometimes it feels like hundreds of tiny cracks are spreading across the surface of our lives, creeping slowly into the foundations and threatening to make them crumble. How do we hold it all together?

How to spot a lactaboobiephobia sufferer

Lactation consultant Meg Nagle refused to stay silent when Facebook removed two photos of her breastfeeding. Instead, she coined a term to describe those who don't recognise breastfeeding for the natural and non-sexual act that it is.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Do you suffer from Precious Firstborn Syndrome?

Testing ?no more tears? shampoo in your own eyes, warming cucumber sticks so they're not cold straight from the fridge, waking a sleeping baby to check they?re still breathing: these are all symptoms of Precious Firstborn Syndrome.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

Mums hit hardest as flu cases skyrocket

The number of confirmed cases of influenza in Australia has doubled the number for the same time last year - and women are 25 per cent more likely to get it.

The mum who had four babies in nine months

Feeling exhausted due to the demands of caring for a baby? Imagine the life of this mum, who gave birth to three boys and one girl in just nine months.

Everything baby at Big W

Lowest prices on everything baby, only at Big W. Sale starts August 4 and ends August 20 2014.

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

Mum gives birth at school

He thought he'd get into the high chair for a laugh ... he wasn't laughing by the end of it.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.