You know you are a parent when...
**fluff**

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 *concerned*

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:59 PM

I was just having a shower and when I went to get the shampoo I found a piece of plastic toast from the kids cooking toys in there too. It barely registered, then I realised that it would only not register with a parent and had a chuckle.

So give us your ending to the topic title... other ones I thought of were:

- you hear a noise that wakes you up and instead of thinking "Is someone breaking in?' you think "What's wrong with the baby?"
- Easter is a perfectly legitimate time for the kids to have chocolate for dinner  ph34r.gif

#2 podg

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:03 PM

When there's someone looking into the gap between the bowl and the seat saying ' Look (sister) I think I can see mummy's poo coming!'

#3 Jenferal

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:04 PM

Your husband inserts a disc into this computer and it doesn't work, so he opens the drive thingy and an old credit card comes out.
Our daughter went through a phase of sticking things into slots...heater vents, computer disc drives, you get the picture.

#4 Rach_V

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:07 PM

... you find yourself wandering around the house randomly singing "We're riding in a hellllllliiiiiicopter, the rotor blades go wocka, wocka, wocka, etc etc."

... a trip to the supermarket minus the kids is as good as a trip to any day spa!

... It's NYE and YOU'RE the designated driver for your OWN parents!!!

#5 MintyBiscuit

You're stupidly proud when one of the first words your child has learned context for is poo

#6 ~Nic~

QUOTE (*concerned* @ 15/02/2013, 09:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
- Easter is a perfectly legitimate time for the kids to have chocolate for dinner  breakfastph34r.gif

... you know that most mornings, you will need to avoid the lego / matchbox car booby trap that your 3yo has left on the floor next to the bed.

#7 Mrs Bouquet

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:09 PM

You hear a kid call out Mum in the shops and you automatically turn around even when your kids aren't with you.

#8 Mumof32b!

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:10 PM

You hold out your hands to catch vomit without breaking the conversation you are having at the time  sick.gif

#9 Loz07

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:10 PM

You check on your child/baby playing when they stop making noise, not when you can hear them having a whinge/grizzle.... wink.gif

#10 Cranky Kitten

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:11 PM

...you don't bat an eyelid at the statement (accompanied by much gagging and coughing from child) "well, don't stick your foot so far down your throat then!" coming from your husband at bath-time.

Or you open your bag to find your keys, but instead pull out 3 matchbox cars, a tube of teething gel and a half chewed piece of toast before you find them.

#11 *concerned*

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:14 PM

I remembered another one I forgot to add...

- when you can't find your mobile phone and looking in the decorative pot with sticks in it is a legitimate place to look...

#12 iheartu

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:16 PM

You rock an imaginary infant, while standing in a shop/cafe/pub.

All manner of poo talk is normal.

10pm is a late night.

#13 opethmum

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:21 PM

Poo does not scare you no matter how it is presented.

When you hear a child cry you think "thank goodness it's not mine" and when it is "oh gosh damn it"

The fifteen minute conversation you have with your DD why daddy/mummy does not need help with going to the toilet results in being told by said child that you like cleaning up pooey nappies.

When you do not require weight measures any more because you compare them to your child's size.

When getting to bed before 8:30 is a good night.

When you are at work/anywhere sans child humming the tunes of your child's toys and their favourite songs.

#14 Alacritous~Andy

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:22 PM

QUOTE (iheartu @ 15/02/2013, 09:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You rock an imaginary infant, while standing in a shop/cafe/pub.

All manner of poo talk is normal.

10pm is a late night.

I caught myself patting the "bottom" of a bag of flour while waiting at the checkout once.

#15 ~Mintie~

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:23 PM

- when you have had poo floating in your bath (thanks bath buddy!)
- when you've had milky snot drip into your mouth ( holding baby up above my head, wriggling him about and obviously not enough attention to detail..)

#16 alxase

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:30 PM

Packing for a holiday becomes a week long ordeal with several lists involved and you still forget something.
You haven't added a photo of yourself on Facebook since you became a mum but you have clogged up everyone's news feed with a bazillion photos of your kids.

#17 dogma

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:37 PM

When you wake up with one arm and one leg hanging off the side of the bed while your pint sized sleeping partner is spreadeagled across 7/8ths of it... When you're so used to listening to the Wiggles that you have it on even when by yourself... When you'll sing and dance on a public street to entertain same pint sized poppet... When you hear yourself saying "we are not going to the park unless you put your knickers on"...

#18 surprizzzed

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:38 PM

You need to go to the toilet and you automatically start walking to the parent's room at the shopping centre even though you're alone (I did this today!)

#19 FlamingoG

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:42 PM

When you find yourself complimenting the 'good farting' going on.

And when internet shopping is all about finding baby clothes not handbags.

#20 Flaxen

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:49 PM

Having your child sleep through the night is a godsend, but strangely annoying too, because you still wake up at the usual times they wake up, then cant get back to sleep cause you are thinking, "any minute now, any minute now...."  (It took a good two weeks of DD sleeping through the night before i stopped waking up myself.)

When out and about, the smell of a pooey nappy fills you with dread and you secretly hope its your friends child who needs changing, not yours  ph34r.gif

The back seat of your car is unrecognisable- and slightly resembles the toybox thats coincidentally empty, with the addition of kicked-off tiny shoes, socks and and the half eaten bit of toast from yesterday.

Getting excited over shoe shopping is no longer related to a new pair of heels on sale, rather a pair of functional childrens shoes, in the right size, and costing less than your last petrol reciept.

#21 ~nikki~

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:10 AM

When your in a hotel for a romantic night without the kids, take of your bra to get in the spa and a dummy falls out!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Clever panda fakes pregnancy

News that a giant panda was pregnant prompted much excitement, but it appears there were never any cubs on the way.

'I survived placenta percreta'

When writing her birth plan, Simone Pavil included an item most women wouldn?t even think about: what should happen if she was put on life support. The mum had the potentially fatal condition placenta accreta.

Managing personal space as a mum

In the midst of the early parenting years, our bodies and minds can seemingly be overtaken by our offspring. How can we balance our need for personal space with the needs of our children?

'If love could have saved you, you'd have never left'

The words "spontaneous abortion" on the hospital paperwork really got to me. My baby died; I didn't spontaneously decide to abort him.

15 classic Aussie ads

Watch some of the classic Australian ads of the 80s, 90s and 00s, and remember the catchphrases and jingles we all used to know so well ...

For and against

Should Blue Ivy have been at the VMAs?

Many were quick to condemn Beyonce and Jay Z after appearing on stage at the MTV Video Music Awards with their two-year-old daughter, but others thought it was a sweet family moment. What do you think?

Toddler attacked at gym creche

Two-year-old girl Eva Ness was left with a black eye and bite marks on her face and body after an altercation with an older child at a health club's child-minding facilities. Now her parents are calling for the centre to be closed.

Pregnancy a tricky matter of timing for FIFO couples

Manipulating rosters, coordinating 'conjugal' visits, working on site with your partner; getting pregnant can prove stressful for FIFO workers.

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

Carseats have twice as many germs as a toilet

Most parents know their child's carseat is not always squeaky clean, but they might not realise just how dirty it really is.

Doctors remove foetus from 'medical marvel' after 36 years

Doctors in India have removed the skeleton of a foetus that had been inside a woman for 36 years.

Nine months in six seconds: new parents' Vine clip a hit

We?ve seen some memorable time-lapse pregnancy and birth announcement videos before. Now one new couple has taken it to the extreme, capturing it all in just a six-second Vine video.

Sonia Kruger speaks of baby joy

Celebrity mum-to-be Sonia Kruger has spoken candidly about using donor eggs and IVF to fall pregnant at age 48.

Dressing to not impress: life through the eyes of a three-year-old

When it comes to getting dressed, my three-year-old has only one criterion: ?I don?t want to look beautiful.? And now I've worked out why.

Special nappies made with love for angel babies

Angel Baby Nappies make and provide tiny bereavement cloth nappies for pre-term stillborn babies and premature babies who pass away in the NICU.

Inside the brain of a tantruming toddler

What's going on in your child's mind in the lead-up to a tantrum? And what?s the best way to respond?

5 secrets to a long-lasting relationship

When it comes to keeping your relationship strong, it?s what you do - and not what you want - that really matters.

When 'furbabies' meet real babies

I am obsessed with my dogs, and can't imagine loving them any less once my baby arrives. But that doesn't stop everyone from telling me I will.

The least popular baby names of 2013

Looking for a baby name that?s nowhere near the top 10 ? or even the top 1000? Try the bottom five.

'I was so sleep deprived I crashed my car'

There are no laws regulating driving while tired, but statistics show that driver fatigue is one of the top three contributors to the road toll.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Do you suffer from Precious Firstborn Syndrome?

Testing ?no more tears? shampoo in your own eyes, warming cucumber sticks so they're not cold straight from the fridge, waking a sleeping baby to check they?re still breathing: these are all symptoms of Precious Firstborn Syndrome.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

Mums hit hardest as flu cases skyrocket

The number of confirmed cases of influenza in Australia has doubled the number for the same time last year - and women are 25 per cent more likely to get it.

The mum who had four babies in nine months

Feeling exhausted due to the demands of caring for a baby? Imagine the life of this mum, who gave birth to three boys and one girl in just nine months.

Everything baby at Big W

Lowest prices on everything baby, only at Big W. Sale starts August 4 and ends August 20 2014.

Going viral

Weirdest pregnancy products

From pee stick keepers to stylish sick bags, there are some very strange inventions out there for pregnant women.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.