Why aren't more women feminists?

• Please log in to reply
801 replies to this topic

#1 Bart.

Posted 15 February 2013 - 04:44 PM

As the topic title suggests, I'm contemplating why more women don't identify as feminists.

- Is it the title of 'feminist'?
- Is the meaning behind 'feminist' too confusing? To confronting?
- They don't see the inequity?
- They do see the inequity but accept it's the way it is?
- Don't see the patriarchy as a problem?
- Don't think they can do anything to change it?
- Can't be bothered to change the status quo?

I'm sure there are a multitude of reasons, but what hurts me the most is when I see a woman demonstrating blatant misogyny against her own sex.   sad.gif

I'm wondering if others have a theory, opinion or view on why feminists are a minority and are seen by some as "the western world's greatest evil" (direct quote from an article comment).

As my signature suggests, I do identify as a feminist.  I view the feminist movement as one which seeks to equalise the genders, value the contributions of both men and women equally and address the horrendous practice of sex crimes against women (including sexual harassment), among other objectives.  But that's just my view and I think because the description of 'feminist' is broad and has been misrepresented and/or misinterpreted, it has negative connotations.

#2 Angelot

Posted 15 February 2013 - 04:49 PM

I'd call myself a feminist, but I'm quite sure some other feminists would disagree.  In some ways I think it would be helpful if we had clear demarcations of different kinds of feminism, but of course we don't.

But I think of someone like my mum... I asked her as a teenager once if she was a feminist.  And she pulled a face at me and said, "What, do you think I should burn my bra?"  I think she sees feminism as destabilising society - which to her is bad.  I suspect other older or more conservative women would agree.

#3 CocobeanLillylove

Posted 15 February 2013 - 04:54 PM

I think it may be due to the negative connotations associated with the word 'feminist.' Some people view feminists as 'man haters' or angry amongst other things.
I identify as being a feminist because I don't see it as being either of those things. I think if you asked women who say they aren't feminists if they believe in equal rights for women then they would say yes of course. I don't think a lot of women understand what being a feminist actually means.

There do see to be some women who dislike women or think they should 'stay in their place'. I don't really understand that at all or how it has come about. Women disliking women in general seems odd to me.

#4 KT1978

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:00 PM

Because feminism is associated with bitterness, and women are socialized not to be confrontational and angry.

For some stronger women, it is a reluctance to claim a place of weakness. Ie I don't need feminism, I'm fine, that is for weaker women who can't stand up for themselves. (I see this in the corporate world).

The term is used as insult by some men, and who wants to call themselves an insulting name?

#5 Fr0g

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:02 PM

I'm perhaps in the lazy or comfort zone, and in the lack of understanding zone.

I don't think I would identify as a feminist; I don't feel as passionate about gender issues as feminists seem to (my observations from EB) - even though I'm irritated by the concept of inequality etc, I am not bothered enough to think or act on anything specifically.

I'm not devoid of rational thought, or critical thinking, or passion; and I also don't think inferring women who don't identify as feminists are lesser women, or anti-feminist, either.

Edited by FrogIsAFrogIsAFrog, 15 February 2013 - 05:04 PM.

#6 Snot stew

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:03 PM

What frogisafrogisafrog said.

#7 Floki

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:05 PM

I would identify as a feminist but I will answer your questions from my POV.

Is it the title of 'feminist'?To some yes. There are some "feminists who do more harm than good and, unfortunately, they tend to be the most vocal and offensive.
- Is the meaning behind 'feminist' too confusing? To confronting? Sometimes. "Don't be a doormat but get offended when a man holds the door open for you. How dare he?!"
- They don't see the inequity? I do but in certain circumstances it is unavoidable. Women can do the same work as men but there are differences in physical attributes and, with all due respect, men can't have babies.
- They do see the inequity but accept it's the way it is? Not me.
- Don't see the patriarchy as a problem?Again, not me.
- Don't think they can do anything to change it? It seems to be a slow process. I do see some women actively not helping to "advance the cause" so to speak.
- Can't be bothered to change the status quo? I do what I can when appropriate.

This is from my POV and I am sure that some will disagree and accuse me of not being a feminist.

#8 CupOfCoffee

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:05 PM

I think because some people see feminists as this homogeneous group.  So something said by one feminist, is what feminists should believe, and they need to believe it angrily. (and therefore if they don't believe that, they are not a feminist).

So while I consider myself a feminist, and yet don't always agree with different schools of feminist thought.  

(For example, there is a school of thought that things that are traditionally 'girly' are bad (dolls, toy kitchens etc)... whereas I think that is just reinforcing the traditional belief that women and girls were weak and inferior (and therefore bad) as opposed to saying that there are qualities in play with dolls and kitchens which is good for both sexes and allows children to develop their own identities, styles and preferences).

Also, people are afraid of using the term because it has always been seen with such negativity (as though there is something man-hater, angry, unreasonable about feminists).

#9 chubbabub

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:08 PM

If you are female and you are not a feminist, then I seriously don't get it. Feminism is supporting women's rights, being an advocate for women and a belief in equality for all. What's not to support?

I honestly believe that many women have no clue about the history of the feminist movement and are hoodwinked by the media's stereotype, that all feminists are men hating, ball breakers.

Education in this matter, is sadly lacking and this leads to the ill informed view that supporting feminism is a bad thing.

#10 SaintJoe

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:16 PM

I call myself an equalist.

The problem I have with some aspects of the feminist movement is the inability to recognise that there are some biological differences between the sexes. That argument fails logic imo.

#11 KT1978

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:18 PM

I think it's also complacency.

Most women have never lived in a time where they couldn't vote or get an education, so they don't really get how much feminism affects their lives.

#12 *Zen*

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:20 PM

QUOTE (silentmoose @ 15/02/2013, 05:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Because if they develop a conscience, boys might not think they're pretty.

laugh.gif

I most absolutely identify as a feminist.

QUOTE (KT1978 @ 15/02/2013, 06:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think it's also complacency.

Most women have never lived in a time where they couldn't vote or get an education, so they don't really get how much feminism affects their lives.

yes yes a thousand times yes!

#13 Tigerdog

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:26 PM

I think some 'feminists' take it to the extreme, too far in some cases, and have given the term a bad name to the extent that many women are scared to be associated with it due to the negative stereotypes created  sad.gif

Edited by Tigerdog, 15 February 2013 - 05:27 PM.

#14 AbbottProofFence

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:30 PM

Different people have different definitions of what the word feminist means and some women are worried they'll be associated with the 'extreme' feminists.

#15 CupOfCoffee

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:31 PM

QUOTE (**myboys** @ 15/02/2013, 05:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The problem I have with some aspects of the feminist movement is the inability to recognise that there are some biological differences between the sexes. That argument fails logic imo.

As a feminist, I believe in the individual (which is made up of things like sex, gender, environment and importantly their own personality).  

As  a feminist, I want girls to be able to be the individual they want to  be (and not be constrained by ideas that relate to their sex).  I don't  mind my daughter wanting to be a princess and wearing pink, I just don't  want her being told she has to, not having real choice and being  labelled or criticised if she wants something else for herself.    

And this extends to women, I want women to be able to be what they want to be, on a fair playing field.  It isn't about what they want to do, it isn't saying they are the same as men, it is about fair and equitable choice and outcomes.

#16 ~Supernova~

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:31 PM

Because they have the dumb.

But seriously, I could not respect somebody who WASN'T a feminist. There are a lot of negative connotations around about feminists (and many extremists, just like any other group in society), but jesus...do your homework people. If you're a woman, you should support feminism, end of story. If not, then you can't like yourself too much IMO.

#17 FeralPerthFembo

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:33 PM

I am a feminist by the definition:

"advocating social, political, and all other rights of women equal to those of men."

I don't identify with the label because I've had had more bad experiences than good with those who label themselves with the title. Not identifying with the label doesn't make me any less so.

I also don't identify as an athiest, despite having a lack of belief in god. Maybe I just don't like labels.

Edited by JBaby, 15 February 2013 - 05:47 PM.

#18 Mudpie

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:42 PM

I wrote about this in my blog. I think people are peddling the message that to keep pushing now when we have come so far is ungrateful and we are falling for it.

Can read more here.

Edited by Mudpie, 15 February 2013 - 05:43 PM.

#19 niggles

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:42 PM

I quite frequently come across this misconception that equality is the proper response to lack of women's rights, rather than equity. People seem to resent any kind of treatment that privileges women because they see it as unequal rather than as equitable.

Yes, there are biological differences. All the more reason for their to be social systems in place to prevent those biological differences leading to an inability to fully participate in society.

So, yeah, I am a feminist but I'm rarely called upon to label myself that.

#20 Bart.

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:43 PM

QUOTE (**myboys** @ 15/02/2013, 06:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't see this often and I certainly don't agree with this idea, anyway.  Men and women do approach things differently as a general rule, but their contributions are equally as important and should be valued as such.  However, this isn't the case as traditionally female roles are often devalued (how many times have you heard a woman say she's "just a housewife but if a guy says it, he's either 'pussy whipped' or a hero).

The double standards perplex and frustrate me.

#21 Rainbow Brite

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:45 PM

QUOTE (chubbabub @ 15/02/2013, 06:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you are female and you are not a feminist, then I seriously don't get it. Feminism is supporting women's rights, being an advocate for women and a belief in equality for all. What's not to support?

I honestly believe that many women have no clue about the history of the feminist movement and are hoodwinked by the media's stereotype, that all feminists are men hating, ball breakers.

Education in this matter, is sadly lacking and this leads to the ill informed view that supporting feminism is a bad thing.

If you don't get it what are you doing to educate women? As you say you believe many women have no clue. I'm interested to know.

#22 SaintJoe

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:46 PM

QUOTE (Rawr @ 15/02/2013, 06:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I disagree. I don't think I've  ever gotten that impression from any feminist

I have. Although many in my friendship group I would consider extreme in their views. I have seen it on EB before also.

QUOTE (CupOfCoffee @ 15/02/2013, 06:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As a feminist, I believe in the individual (which is made up of things like sex, gender, environment and importantly their own personality).  

As  a feminist, I want girls to be able to be the individual they want to  be (and not be constrained by ideas that relate to their sex).  I don't  mind my daughter wanting to be a princess and wearing pink, I just don't  want her being told she has to, not having real choice and being  labelled or criticised if she wants something else for herself.    

And this extends to women, I want women to be able to be what they want to be, on a fair playing field.  It isn't about what they want to do, it isn't saying they are the same as men, it is about fair and equitable choice and outcomes.

I agree CoC completely. My point is there are biological differences between men and women. And these differences at times can bring advantages or disadvantages to one of the sexes. Let's use sport as an example. Men will always be faster and stronger and it can therefore be arguable that the viewing of that particular sport is more enjoyable. This brings about better conditions, pay, status etc to the male.

I HAVE seen similar situations where people would argue otherwise, that there are no differences between the sexes and it is all social conditioning. While this is a largely true, we do have to acknowledge our differences and embrace them.

I have my 2 year old pulling at me. not eloquent atm!

#23 MintyBiscuit

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:01 PM

QUOTE (silentmoose @ 15/02/2013, 05:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Because if they develop a conscience, boys might not think they're pretty.

Well I hope you don't identify as a feminist, because that's not a very women friendly thing to say.

QUOTE (Mareek @ 15/02/2013, 06:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Because they have the dumb.

But seriously, I could not respect somebody who WASN'T a feminist. There are a lot of negative connotations around about feminists (and many extremists, just like any other group in society), but jesus...do your homework people. If you're a woman, you should support feminism, end of story. If not, then you can't like yourself too much IMO.

Explain how? Not identifying as a feminist does not automatically mean someone thinks women are the weaker sex or any other misogynist connotations.

I have many times, both IRL and here on EB, said I don't identify as a feminist. I have had people tell me they disagree and consider me a feminist, both here and IRL. I have no doubt there are others who would find it offensive to their idea of feminism if I were to call myself one. It's perception.

For me, it's multi faceted. I have encountered many women who tend to begin any complaints about anything in life with "I'm a feminist, and x is unfair against women" and it's crap. Feminists with a victim mentality are people I've encountered a lot, so that has probably coloured my view. I've also encountered feminists who seem to believe that everything is a sign of the man keeping women down, and drawing conclusions that I just find bizarre - in fact I started a thread about it a few weeks back. This annoys me. While I don't consider all those who identify as feminists to be like this, I don't want to be associated with those who do.

As for what I believe, I think everyone should have the same opportunities afforded to them regardless of gender, religion, sexuality, socio-economic status or health. If someone is capable of something, they should have the chance to do it. Maybe that makes me a feminist? I don't know. I prefer not to label these things.

ETA - I am extremely grateful for the feminism movement on the whole and what it changed for women. There are elements that frustrate and annoy me, but that doesn't change the fact that I am grateful for it and respect those who have worked towards real change.

ETA again - I find it interesting that in these sort of threads the are inevitably a couple of people calling those who don't identify as feminists dumb or something similar. How do those people balance their passion for feminism with labelling vast numbers of women stupid simply because they have a different viewpoint?

Edited by HollyOllyOxenfree, 15 February 2013 - 06:06 PM.

#24 Cat People

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:02 PM

QUOTE (Mary Whether @ 15/02/2013, 06:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not taking the p*ss, I promise, but can people who write of extreme/rabid feminism give examples?  I have never met a rabid feminist.

Although I didn't read her book, only extracts,  the author Elisabeth Badinter talked about the 'new' style of parenting (assuming attachment parenting) was anti-feminist, including breastfeeding, in particular full-term b'feeding.  There was also an American author Hannah Rosin who argued b'feeding from feminist perspective concluding it was "this generation's vacuum cleaner - an instrument of misery that mostly just keeps women down"

#25 Cat People

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:05 PM

I identify as a feminist and while I understand people's frustrations with women who don't , I don't think it's particular "feminist" to mock them.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'Tired' mum dies of undiagnosed diabetes

New mum Nicky Rigby thought her exhaustion was due to the demands of looking after her baby. But the 26-year-old was seriously ill with diabetes, and died due to her condition not being diagnosed.

20 signs of a great relationship

The secret to a perfect relationship is admitting you are wrong after an argument, five kisses a day and sex twice a week, a new survey suggests.

Video: emotional 60-second Robin Williams tribute

Take a minute to remember some of the greatest films of your childhood ... and have a few tissues close at hand.

The realities of escaping domestic violence

?Why doesn?t she just leave?? is the common question people ask when trying to understand domestic violence. For many, leaving the relationship is far from straightforward.

Home truths: the DIY dos and don'ts

A professional renovator gives advice on which jobs you should do yourself, and which you should outsource.

Parenting lessons I?ve yet to learn

Instead of writing about the stuff I do know since becoming a mum, I thought I'd share some of the things I don't. These are the lessons that motherhood hasn't taught me.

Will I be wrecked 'down there' after birth?

Did you worry about how you would look "down there" after giving birth? This mum-to-be found plenty of women willing to share their knowledge.

The new weekend playgroup for working mums

Playgroups are great for kids and parents alike - but the downside is that they often meet during the week, leaving working mums out of the loop.

Letting your toddler be the boss at bedtime

Sick of spending hours trying to get your toddler to sleep? These experts say giving your child more of a say at bedtime might be the answer.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

Consulting 'Dr Google' when you're pregnant

We're all guilty of turning to the internet for a quick answer when we need medical advice, but Dr Google should be approached with caution - especially when you're pregnant.

16 ways to tie a scarf

Scarfs are the perfect winter accessory. Whether you're freezing at soccer training or wanting to add a splash of colour to a monochrome top, the right scarf will sort you out in no time. Just ask Nina Proudman.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

The simple way to support other parents

We may be raising children of different ages and sexes, with different personalities, but we, as parents, aren't that different - we all have similar struggles, fears, doubts, responsibilities.

Seeing the big picture when it comes to parenting

Sometimes it feels like hundreds of tiny cracks are spreading across the surface of our lives, creeping slowly into the foundations and threatening to make them crumble. How do we hold it all together?

How to spot a lactaboobiephobia sufferer

Lactation consultant Meg Nagle refused to stay silent when Facebook removed two photos of her breastfeeding. Instead, she coined a term to describe those who don't recognise breastfeeding for the natural and non-sexual act that it is.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Do you suffer from Precious Firstborn Syndrome?

Testing ?no more tears? shampoo in your own eyes, warming cucumber sticks so they're not cold straight from the fridge, waking a sleeping baby to check they?re still breathing: these are all symptoms of Precious Firstborn Syndrome.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

Mums hit hardest as flu cases skyrocket

The number of confirmed cases of influenza in Australia has doubled the number for the same time last year - and women are 25 per cent more likely to get it.

The mum who had four babies in nine months

Feeling exhausted due to the demands of caring for a baby? Imagine the life of this mum, who gave birth to three boys and one girl in just nine months.

Everything baby at Big W

Lowest prices on everything baby, only at Big W. Sale starts August 4 and ends August 20 2014.

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

Mum gives birth at school

He thought he'd get into the high chair for a laugh ... he wasn't laughing by the end of it.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.