America's broken dreams - Four corners

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 bluecardigans

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:06 PM

Did anyone catch the Four Corners episode this week?  Very, very sad.  Watching those two gorgeous babies sleep in a car every night was heartbreaking.  

Four corners. You can watch it on iview.

Edited by Display anemone, 15 February 2013 - 03:09 PM.

#2 Feral Borgia

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:11 PM

yes I watched it, utterly depressing. I think families here might end up slightly (ever so slightly) better off, as we do have a bit more of a welfare safety net than the States. But only by a slight margin and I dare say there are families here who would have similar stories to tell.

I felt so sorry for that poor woman, going for the job interview with her kids, they were over it and mucking up, in the end she was over it and walked out - and I bet there would be unfeeling people out there who would then label her a quitter mad.gif

It really upset me and I couldnt sleep very well on Monday night...having said that I do recommend people watch it - its something we all need to see.

Edited by Lucretia Borgia, 15 February 2013 - 03:24 PM.

#3 TwiceThe Woman

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:16 PM

OMG - it is shocking.....
In the "great land of opportunity" there are 47.5 MILLION people on or below the poverty line.
Words fail me.  
That young couple with their two children..... cry1.gif      
oh, and the man who didn't want to "impose" on his friends any longer to have a shower..........ummm, I asked myself why don't his friends give him a room?  Even a garage would be better and safer than living out of a car.
The good ol' US of A is toppling off it's pedestal.  It is truely heartbreaking.

#4 Coffeegirl

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:23 PM

It is quite scary to visit LA now (and other areas) and see so many homeless on the steeets.  

I mean the US has always had problems with homelessness, but it is getting really bad.   I remember the drive from the airport to our hotel and going under one of those giant overpasses and there must have been 50 people living under there.

The US has never been a country that helps it's poorest people.  Sure they can claim unemployment, but you need an address to send a cheque to, and no home, means no address.   Hundreds of families falling through the cracks sad.gif

And the lobbyists are so good at scaremongering and spending millions on scaring the people into believing that the suggested Medicare system (as propsed by Obama) would be an invasion of their rights.  I had US friends (who I thought were intelligent) tell me that it was just a way for the government to collect more data about them and tax them 50% or more  huh.gif   They absolutely could not comprehend the idea of relatively free medical services for all residents like we have here, nor that we didn't pay that much more in taxes than they did.

#5 SlightlyLeftFeral

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:25 PM

I watched it, it was heartbreaking.

Whilst our welfare system is far from perfect, it is a lot better than what those poor people are getting.

It really highlights why we need a strong safety net for those who find themselves unemployed or under employed.

#6 LambChop

Posted 15 February 2013 - 04:22 PM

More heart breaking than watching, is being there and seeing for yourself... definitely makes you realise how lucky we are in Australia to have choices.

#7 bluecardigans

Posted 15 February 2013 - 04:35 PM

It blew me away that it was so common that contingencies had been set up such as the opening of the car parks for families to park in overnight while they slept in their cars.  How on earth do you raise productive adults in a car?

#8 TwiceThe Woman

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:00 PM

With good family relationships & attitudes being crucial to good mental health, I feel (hope) that the young couple will "make it" once / if, they get employment.  They seem to have a good attitude towards each other and about it all.
I like that the church opens it's car park at night, turns the lights out, then locks the carpark and keeps it supervised overnight - at least this means that the couples could sleep better & and are secure while they sleep.  I'd guess that they let them use the bathrooms in the morning too.
Good practical use of church property.  
Great attitudes from those people who supervise.

#9 JJ

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:03 PM

Just watched it, thanks for the link. I've seen a few similar shows previously.

I have some US friends who are in these situations (online friends but have known them all for 10+ years) - no one is homeless at this point, but living in a tiny flat with a bunch of kids (in pictures it looks a lot like that first motel room in the doco), another one looking at living in a trailer, no medical care even though some of them are really unwell (if worse comes to the worst, they'll go to an ER and end up with a huge bill), no health insurance also means no intervention/help for kids with special needs, and they're always just one small, unexpected thing away from losing everything. Unless there are relatives who can help out a little, there is no safety net. No family + something bad happens = you're well and truly on your own and royally screwed.

I think if things don't change for the better, it may well result in all-out war. It's exactly the kind of situation that is an ideal breeding ground for very radical views and actions. I find the whole thing incredibly troubling. It's a time bomb.

#10 bluecardigans

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:12 PM

QUOTE (TwiceThe Woman @ 15/02/2013, 06:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I like that the church opens it's car park at night, turns the lights out, then locks the carpark and keeps it supervised overnight - at least this means that the couples could sleep better & and are secure while they sleep.  I'd guess that they let them use the bathrooms in the morning too.
Good practical use of church property.  
Great attitudes from those people who supervise.

Of course, without a doubt. It is just so sad that there are so many families sleeping in their cars in one area that they can fill an entire car park.

#11 Maniacal_laugh

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:50 PM

Thanks for the link, Ive started watching it.

Reminds me of the movie 'Wendy and Lucy' with Michelle Williams. You could feel the tension in every moment of the film, how close she was to losing absolutely everything, and how the smallest bit of bad luck could lead into a downward spiral. Well worth a watch if you haven't seen it.

#12 Snot stew

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:55 PM

Thanks for letting us know about this, I will watch it later original.gif.

#13 zande

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:13 PM

It was incredibly sad, I really felt for those 2 little ones, trying to imagine how hard it would be as a mother to go through that.

#14 kpingitquiet

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:24 PM

I haven't seen it, but I don't really have to. I've been homeless, living in my car and/or couch-surfing from friend to friend, even sleeping in a friend's business for a time, in the US more than once. It's certainly not great. What I will say is while there is not much assistance for people with no children (as I was at the time) it is a bit easier to get out of a bad situation, there, as long as there are not compounding issues like addiction and other mental illness. This is entirely due to the low cost of living and the very large service industry jobforce (gas stations, food service, grocery stores, big box stores, etc).

WITH children, it's far more difficult (if not nigh on impossible) to find work, as I'm sure the show pointed out. Though there is a large amount of assistance available for children, not everyone knows how to access it, or even where to begin to look.

#15 Chasing*Rainbows

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:09 PM

Gosh that's heartbreaking. The poor women with the 2 babies just broke my heart.

#16 B.feral3

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:14 PM

That was terrible. Next weeks episode regarding our two governments spending billions on some new military planes really demonstrates how messed up things really are.

I wondered what she was going to do with her children had she got the job at the hotel.  unsure.gif I don't think there was much chance of her getting it; she looked like she hadn't washed in a month. What a cruel vicious circle.  sad.gif

#17 loubee

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:54 PM

I watched it too, breaks my heart to see people living like that. The little boy from the family of 6 was just tragic, I felt the world on his shoulders when they asked what he dreams about - nightmares  sad.gif . All of them such sad stories, you can only hope the young couple can get something togetherbefore their girls are old enough to remember such a life.

#18 Feral Borgia

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:57 PM

QUOTE (loubee @ 15/02/2013, 08:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I watched it too, breaks my heart to see people living like that. The little boy from the family of 6 was just tragic, I felt the world on his shoulders when they asked what he dreams about - nightmares  sad.gif . All of them such sad stories, you can only hope the young couple can get something togetherbefore their girls are old enough to remember such a life.

sad.gif
He broke my heart that little boy....wise beyond his years....

#19 PigNewton

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:06 PM

And even if they get jobs the wages are so low as to be laughable. You're still on the poverty line, you're just working poor. It's worth thinking about next time people start complaining about things costing more in supermarkets, restaurants and shops in general in Australia. They cost more because the staff get a wage they can actually live on. I know just going from my own wage as a supermarket worker, I earn at least 3 times what many retail workers in the US earn. Plus family benefits, plus medicare, plus super.

#20 kpingitquiet

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:25 PM

Depends on the state, redkris. States with unions, like California, were paying $15-20 for checkout jobs in the early 2000s, more now. States like Virginia, with no unions, were paying around $7.50 in 1998 and around $9-10 now. However, you can also get a 2br apt for ~$700/mo (~$160/wk) or less in those cheaper states. The benefits are the bigger issue. Lots of grocery stores like to scoot around the benefits regulations by keeping staff at juuuuuuust slightly under the 6-month full-time requirement for coverage. If you do get over the line though, the coverage is amazing, but it's not that easy to get in the widely available low-skill/unskilled job markets that most desperate people are in.

#21 bluecardigans

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:40 PM

The gentleman featured in the documentary who worked at Disney World makes $8.20ph.   sad.gif

#22 B.feral3

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:42 PM

QUOTE (Display anemone @ 15/02/2013, 08:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The gentleman featured in the documentary who worked at Disney World makes $8.20ph.   sad.gif

I know. He'd worked his way up to that too. He certainly went to work each day with a big fat smile on his face though because he was one of the lucky ones with a job.

#23 PigNewton

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:45 PM

Lots of grocery stores like to scoot around the benefits regulations by keeping staff at juuuuuuust slightly under the 6-month full-time requirement for coverage. If you do get over the line though, the coverage is amazing, but it's not that easy to get in the widely available low-skill/unskilled job markets that most desperate people are in.

I can completely believe that actually. I do think having a pretty massive union has helped retail workers in this country a lot. I also know that it's actually really hard to fire a worker from one of the big 2 supermarket chains as well (which can be frustrating but also works in the employee's favour)

#24 jedimaster

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:55 PM

I checked and its on again on ABC2 tomorrow night, 7.30. I will watch it then thanks OP.

#25 Feral Borgia

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:02 PM

I think we do realise it.....I'll save my sympathy for those who can't afford a roof over their own head, as opposed to those who can afford to have their own business ...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Why couples with daughters are more likely to divorce

Couples with daughters have higher divorce rates than those with boys. A new study reveals why that is the case.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.