Multi-age classrooms
School teachers tell me what you think!

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Threelittleducks

Posted 15 February 2013 - 02:38 PM

Hi there

We have started to think about primary schools. There is a nice primary school near us that has around 450 students. From year 2 and up all classes are multi-age classrooms. In my day, composite classes were the exception and not the norm.

The school puts some good spin on why multi-age classrooms are great. So I'm after some feedback from those that have either taught or have children in these types of classes. What are the positive and negatives? What questions should we be asking?

Thanks for your feedback.

Cheers

#2 MissingInAction

Posted 15 February 2013 - 02:44 PM

I think they're great if your child is doing well.  

I think there is some potential for problems IF your child is REALLY REALLY struggling.

I would, however, be more concerned about the quality of the teacher and the school as a whole OVER the type of class it is.  A good teacher will make it work for everyone.  A teacher who is struggling will struggle to help those who are struggling regaqrdless of the type of class.

#3 Musk Sticks

Posted 15 February 2013 - 02:53 PM

I loved being in composite classes as a kid.

I agree though with pp that it might not be so good for a kid who is having difficulties.

#4 Kay1

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:03 PM

My son was in a Year 1/2 composite last year in Year 1 and this year is in another 1/2 composite in Year 2 (different mix of kids).

Last year he had a great teacher and it seemed to work fine. This year he also has a great teacher so hopefully it will go well also.

#5 ~sydblue~

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:05 PM

When I went to primary school(many moons ago) we had k-3 in one side of the 2 room building and 4-7 in the other.
I loved and thrived in it, but my brother didn't.
So I think for some kids it is a good thing.

#6 LiveLife

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:27 PM

teachers will say that all classrooms are  multiage rooms and that they have to differentiate in a normal classroom for up to a four year spread in abilities.  Those of us with kids at either end of that spectrum are often complaining about lack of appropriate differentiation and thats in a straight year level.  So if you complicate it even further by having composit classes then it just means the teachers have to cater for an even bigger scatter of abilities and I can only see that that means even bigger problems differentiating.  So if your kid is roughly average Id be happy, Id be very concerned if he is either end of the spectrum.

#7 JaneDoe2010

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:36 PM

ANY class, even if it is a straight grade class not composite, can have a 3 year age range in it, from kids who went to school quite early, then the ones right on age, to the ones who started late. And out of those kids, they can have a huge range of abilities. It all depends on the school and more specifically the teacher in how they personalise lessons and tailor work to individual needs.

#8 unicycle

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:56 PM

LiveLife was emphasising that the spread is likely to be even greater in a composite and that this can have implications for children at either end of the curve. This has been our experience.

#9 katrina24

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:03 PM

I like multiage classrooms. While the age range is greater I don't find much impact on ability range.  My children go to a school with all multiage except FYOS.  I think the overall values and philosophy of the school plus the quality of the teachers is much more important than the class make up.

#10 Cat People

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:11 PM

ds attends Montessori which is multi-aged.  It goes 3-6 yr olds, 6-9 yr olds and 9-12 yr olds.

In the right setting, I think it's brilliant.  It's one of the appeals of Montessori for me.  When the children are younger they have older role models, and when they are older they become leaders to the younger kids.

I agree with pp; it's the overall values and philosophy of the school that matters.

#11 liveworkplay

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:15 PM

I think it is the new "it" pedagogy and it is yet to be seen if it will work with our system.

ANY class, even if it is a straight grade class not composite, can have a 3 year age range in it, from kids who went to school quite early, then the ones right on age, to the ones who started late.

Not where I live! There is a maximum of 11 mths, 28 days. Holding back is unheard of and early entry is so hard to qualify for, I have never known anyone to do it. I suppose if a child was held back (again, very very rare) you may get a 1ry, 11mths, 28 day gap but never 3 years.

#12 aidensmum

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:22 PM

Our school does a 5,6,7 multiage. It's not a composite of two ages put together. There is a philosophy behind it and is run by experienced teachers who work their butts off. We love that kids are grouped according to their abilities rather than their age and there are lots of nice social benefits.

#13 Julie3Girls

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:28 PM

I don't think multiage classes have any impact on academic acheivement compared with straight class.

Any class, regardless of whether it is a straight class or a multiage class, will potentially have kids in the very bottom bracket who need a lot of help. And will also potentially have students who are in the very top bracket, who also need attention, extension.

My dd3 is in a 1/2 (yr1). There are a few special needs kids. My dd is at the other end, working above average. For her, the composite class is a bit of advantage, she has the yr2 work right there in front of her if she needs to be extended. In a straight yr 1, she wouldn't have that, and would need the teacher to specifically find more advanced work for her.

So With a straight yr class, the teacher needs to extend some kids, cater to some special needs.
In a composite class, the teacher might need to extend some kids, cater to some special needs.

I've had kids in a 1/2 (yr 1), a 2/3 (yr3), a 3-4(yr3), a 5/6(yr5), a 4/5(yr4), a 5/6(yr6)

All of them with good teachers, none of them having an negative impact academically.

The only negative I  have come across is from a social point of view. And that is very individual ... My dd1 didn't do well in a class with older kids .. She didn't fit, and had a lot of anxiety.  But that was a very personal affect based on individual circumstances.

My dd2 has thrived in composites, and I see a lot of benefits socially for her, giving her a much wide spread of friends across multiple years.

#14 Threelittleducks

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:30 PM

Thanks for the replies so far. I'm still learning how the school manages its multi-age classrooms and am not yet sure if it will suit our two...they are still too young to know for sure.

As far as I know, in Qld it is highly unlikely to have a three year age gap given how strict the age cut-offs are. It is very unusual for kids to be held back or sent to school early. So the spread of ages you are talking about is unlikely to happen within the one grade.

The school in question also does every grade post year 1 as a multi-age classroom. The school is large enough to not do this, but they have chosen to do it. So there is no choice at all. Our duo will also be the youngest in their cohort as June babies (30 June cut-off in Qld).

I'm interested to hear of more experiences, so thanks.

#15 Expelliarmus

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:57 PM

I've never taught anything but Multi-age classes. I don't have anything to compare it to but struggle to see why parents think it is so bad.

#16 libbylu

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:10 PM

QUOTE (Madame Protart @ 15/02/2013, 09:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ds attends Montessori which is multi-aged.  It goes 3-6 yr olds, 6-9 yr olds and 9-12 yr olds.

In the right setting, I think it's brilliant.  It's one of the appeals of Montessori for me.  When the children are younger they have older role models, and when they are older they become leaders to the younger kids.

I agree with pp; it's the overall values and philosophy of the school that matters.

I agree with the above. Ours is a local state primary school with preps separate, but yrs 1-3 together and yrs 4-6 together.  It seems to work fine. The older kids know and look out for the younger ones and they find it means there isn't any bullying.  The kids also develop excellent leadership skills.

#17 Julie3Girls

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:20 AM

The school in question also does every grade post year 1 as a multi-age classroom. The school is large enough to not do this, but they have chosen to do it. So there is no choice at all. Our duo will also be the youngest in their cohort as June babies (30 June cut-off in Qld).

You could actually see this as an advantage of multiage classes ... In a straight year class, yes, your children will always be the youngest.
In a composite, yes they will still be the youngest when they are in the lower class, but they will also get the opportunity to be in the older half of the class. Gives them the chance to not be the youngest, to be the older, more experienced child in the class, leadership/mentoring etc.

#18 Rolex

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:05 PM

QUOTE (aidensmum @ 15/02/2013, 08:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There is a philosophy behind it and is run by experienced teachers who work their butts off. We love that kids are grouped according to their abilities rather than their age and there are lots of nice social benefits.

This is exactly why I love multi-age classrooms, and they are different to composites.  Our school is 100% multi-age, including prep (P/1).  Kids are grouped according to their ability for each subject, rather than just the number on their birth certificate, with 2 teachers per class.

I must admit I had my doubts when I first heard about this school, but visited with an open mind, and I now wouldn't want to go to a primary school with single grade classes.

Edited by Rolex, 16 February 2013 - 01:06 PM.

#19 kpingitquiet

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:18 PM

As a gifted kid, I would've loved it if I were in the youngest part of a composite, and hated it with a fiery passion if I were on the older end.

#20 jks91

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:55 PM

No recent experiences here, but I was in MAG (multi-age group) classes all through primary school.  In hindsight I would say that they really depend on the teacher and their experience in order to work.

I was in the following combinations - Prep/1/2, 3/4 (in year 3), 3/4/5 (as Year 4 and 5 - the worst class of the ones I was in), and 6/7.  I really believe that it takes a brilliant teacher to teach a MAG class well, this is from the perspective I have now of course.  The only years where I believe I suffered were in Year 4 and 5 where we had a very new teacher and a lot of special needs students/not much by the way of education support aides.  I was a gifted student and at the upper age of the groupings in Year 2 and Year 7 there was always opportunities for extension.  Never had this in the middle years, Years 1-3 and 6-7 were brilliant.

I would have no hesitation putting my child in a multi-age class, I really think that the  benefits outweigh the negative aspects original.gif

#21 shellyb

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:52 AM

Hi, We are in Brisbane at a small school and my dd is in grd 3 in a 3/4/5 class. There are 7 in grd 3 and all very bright. They have an awesome teacher and have all had extension pretty much from the start. They have separate swimming/art/music all of which there are only the 7 of them in the class. The homework actually has her thinking and she's buzzing with excitement every time I pick her up.

Again she is in the lower grade & very bright not sure how it is for the kids in the higher grades, given the grd 3 kids do so well in the maths games they do together. Given their teacher is very popular and he talked about extending them all hopefully everyone is happy.

#22 shellyb

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:52 AM

Oops double post...

Edited by shellyb, 17 February 2013 - 07:53 AM.

#23 ThatsNotMyName

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:12 PM

I've seen a lot of comments indicating that average & bright students do well in composite classes, what about under performing students? Our DS has just started yr1 in a 1/2class in an all composite class school. He was performing a little below expected levels in Kindy last year and I'm concerned that this style of class structure may not be best suited to him sad.gif I've just had a call this morning to say he'll be getting extra learning support (with his reading which should flow on to writing) which is wonderful but I worry that it's going to be an uphill struggle all the way through. It probably doesn't help that he's one of the younger ones in the year too, just turned 6 in mid Jan. Now I'm second guessing our decision not to hold him back sad.gif Any thoughts on this kind of scenario?

#24 Expelliarmus

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:48 PM

Younger students often experience success because more competent students model to them.

#25 TeaTimeTreat

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:01 PM

No composite classes was one of the many reasons I chose DS current school, I am not a fan of them as I think in order for them to work well you have to have a very good experienced teacher and the right mix of kids, if that could be guaranteed I might go for it but since it cannot I am very happy for him to be in single year level classes.

I suppose I feel straight year level classes are the more failsafe option.

All of the high schools around here do not have composite classes either.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'Tired' mum dies of undiagnosed diabetes

New mum Nicky Rigby thought her exhaustion was due to the demands of looking after her baby. But the 26-year-old was seriously ill with diabetes, and died due to her condition not being diagnosed.

20 signs of a great relationship

The secret to a perfect relationship is admitting you are wrong after an argument, five kisses a day and sex twice a week, a new survey suggests.

Video: emotional 60-second Robin Williams tribute

Take a minute to remember some of the greatest films of your childhood ... and have a few tissues close at hand.

The realities of escaping domestic violence

?Why doesn?t she just leave?? is the common question people ask when trying to understand domestic violence. For many, leaving the relationship is far from straightforward.

Home truths: the DIY dos and don'ts

A professional renovator gives advice on which jobs you should do yourself, and which you should outsource.

Parenting lessons I?ve yet to learn

Instead of writing about the stuff I do know since becoming a mum, I thought I'd share some of the things I don't. These are the lessons that motherhood hasn't taught me.

Will I be wrecked 'down there' after birth?

Did you worry about how you would look "down there" after giving birth? This mum-to-be found plenty of women willing to share their knowledge.

The new weekend playgroup for working mums

Playgroups are great for kids and parents alike - but the downside is that they often meet during the week, leaving working mums out of the loop.

Letting your toddler be the boss at bedtime

Sick of spending hours trying to get your toddler to sleep? These experts say giving your child more of a say at bedtime might be the answer.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

Consulting 'Dr Google' when you're pregnant

We're all guilty of turning to the internet for a quick answer when we need medical advice, but Dr Google should be approached with caution - especially when you're pregnant.

16 ways to tie a scarf

Scarfs are the perfect winter accessory. Whether you're freezing at soccer training or wanting to add a splash of colour to a monochrome top, the right scarf will sort you out in no time. Just ask Nina Proudman.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

The simple way to support other parents

We may be raising children of different ages and sexes, with different personalities, but we, as parents, aren't that different - we all have similar struggles, fears, doubts, responsibilities.

Seeing the big picture when it comes to parenting

Sometimes it feels like hundreds of tiny cracks are spreading across the surface of our lives, creeping slowly into the foundations and threatening to make them crumble. How do we hold it all together?

How to spot a lactaboobiephobia sufferer

Lactation consultant Meg Nagle refused to stay silent when Facebook removed two photos of her breastfeeding. Instead, she coined a term to describe those who don't recognise breastfeeding for the natural and non-sexual act that it is.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Do you suffer from Precious Firstborn Syndrome?

Testing ?no more tears? shampoo in your own eyes, warming cucumber sticks so they're not cold straight from the fridge, waking a sleeping baby to check they?re still breathing: these are all symptoms of Precious Firstborn Syndrome.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

Mums hit hardest as flu cases skyrocket

The number of confirmed cases of influenza in Australia has doubled the number for the same time last year - and women are 25 per cent more likely to get it.

The mum who had four babies in nine months

Feeling exhausted due to the demands of caring for a baby? Imagine the life of this mum, who gave birth to three boys and one girl in just nine months.

Everything baby at Big W

Lowest prices on everything baby, only at Big W. Sale starts August 4 and ends August 20 2014.

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

Mum gives birth at school

Most kids have their own personal brand of oddity. Others, like these 10 weird habits, crop up again and again.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.