Complex Medibank/Medicare qn
Unexpected $2500 OOP!!

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Lokum

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:19 PM

So I was in labour for 9 hours and stupidly called for an epidural in my private hospital.

Anaesthetic  came and administered it, advising that there would be an OOP because it was out of hours call (around 9pm.) I think she said around $750 OOP, or maybe I thought that because that's how much it was for my midnight spinal last time.

Epi didn't work.  I could still feel every contraction and could feel when a midwife accidentally scratched my belly while adjusting the CTG monitoring belts.

10 mins later, OB said we'd have to have a c/s. Obviously, this epi hadn't worked sufficient to get me through surgery, so I had to have a spinal as well. (If I'd only waited 10 more minutes  cry1.gif )

Anaesthetist said sorry, but because we're now doing a diff kind of anasethetic, there'll be another OOP for this.

I thought, great, now the OOP will be up around the $1500 mark.

Bill came (2 invoices, one for epi & one for spinal), with total 8 items, and bill of $3490. Sent it off to Medicare who passed it on to Medibank. Medicare have provided cheque for around $890 - 75% all the scheduled fees for those services.  Medibank have provided cheque for $272 (25% of the scheduled fees.)

This leaves me with a bill for approx $2500 just for anaesthetic services. I'm flabbergasted. We have mid level hospital cover with no excess. I didn't get a bill from my OB for the c/s - Medibank and Medicare covered the lot.

How come Medibank isn't covering more of the actual cost of these services? Is it too bad so sad, or is there any chance they've stuffed up?

#2 bark

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:24 PM

Sounds right to me unfortunately. Yr private health only covers the gap not paid by Medicare according to their schedule. Private health is basically to cover your hospital stay - yr accommodation.

#3 Bluenomi

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:30 PM

You've got a gap because you were charge above scheduled fees. PHI is only legally allowed to pay upto the schduled fee, the rest is up to you to pay. It sucks which is why people try and get no gap doctors but that doesn't work in emergency situations.

Anaesthetists are some the most expensive doctors so their out of pocket is usually huge.

#4 MrsLexiK

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:33 PM

QUOTE (Lokum @ 15/02/2013, 01:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How come Medibank isn't covering more of the actual cost of these services? Is it too bad so sad, or is there any chance they've stuffed up?

I don't think they have stuffed up, your OB should have made you aware of the costs.  We were given a sheet with the max OOP expenses we would face for epi's or c-sections and it had different amounts for different days.  If I was booking in for an induction with an epi or a scheduled c-section I would be able to call up and find out the costs and see if I could work around one that works with my health fund for gap, however if it is going into labour normally you get what they charge you.

I am very thankful that my OB is a gap provider with medibank and my mangement fee is costing around $600 - $800 (depending on which hospital we have to go to now) and that is before the medicare rebate.  I have budgeted for the epi or c-section costs

#5 Rach_V

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:34 PM

It does sound right unfortunately. Your out of pocket costs depend on how much each individual doctor charges as well as whether or not they participate in your health fund's "gapcover" schemes, where the health fund will pay higher rebates than the usual 25% (there are limits, rules, etc for participation in such schemes).

If you didn't get a bill from your ob, it sounds like your ob participates in Medibank's gapcover scheme and accepts their gapcover schedule as full payment.

You could call the anesthetist and ask them if they do use Medibank's gapcover, you may still have to pay out of pocket costs but these can be reduced if they do use it. However, I believe that Medibank cap the total amount payable by the patient to $500, which means the dr has to reduce their fee significantly in many cases, hence a lot of them won't participate.

The world of private health insurance is complex. Even if you had the highest possible level of private health insurance, you would often still have out of pocket costs associated with your surgery.

Edited by Rach_V, 15 February 2013 - 12:35 PM.

#6 IsolaBella

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:38 PM

QUOTE (bark @ 15/02/2013, 01:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sounds right to me unfortunately. Yr private health only covers the gap not paid by Medicare according to their schedule. Private health is basically to cover your hospital stay - yr accommodation.

QUOTE (Bluenomi @ 15/02/2013, 01:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You've got a gap because you were charge above scheduled fees. PHI is only legally allowed to pay upto the schduled fee, the rest is up to you to pay. It sucks which is why people try and get no gap doctors but that doesn't work in emergency situations.

Anaesthetists are some the most expensive doctors so their out of pocket is usually huge.

Yep this is the case.  DS2 is about to have Grommets put in again. $1,050 for  ENT and we get back $360 and $700 for anaesthist which we get back $350. As PP said PHI only covers the gap between the Medicare rebate and the scheduled fee.

For my cs the OB was no gap, but Anaessthest OPE were from a small $250 for out if hours emerg one to $850 for the one which was day scheduled. They just billed at different rates.

#7 Soontobegran

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:39 PM

Unfortunately many women have both an epidural in labour and then a spinal if a C/S is needed and that will mean two separate item numbers.
I understand the fact that your epidural didn't work would make it really difficult to cough up the money for it but the equipment and the drugs involved are pretty costly. It would be nice however if your anaesthetist could show some empathy and lower his/her fees and I would actually approach him/her and try to negotiate these.

What I would probably do is send in the two cheques from Medicare and Medibank with an accompanying letter asking for an explanation of the costs and whether there is any room for 'movement'. Some will show compassion but it is well known that the anaesthetist bill is often the biggest in obstetrics.
What you have got back as rebate does sound about right but they will only rebate you on the scheduled fee so if the anaesthetist ups his charges you will be more out of pocket.

I know this is cold comfort Lokum but my anaesthetist 30 years ago for my eldest DD left me $900 out of pocket and that was a huge amount of money back then. It seems nothing changes.

Hope they will be kind, do not be afraid to ask for a discount or at least a payment plan.
Good luck.

#8 Lokum

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:40 PM

Thanks everyone. It is as I thought  sad.gif .

Bad luck that I was scheduled for a c/s but he decided to come early and I ended up with night time emerg c/s... I believe the anaesthetist I would have had for the scheduled c/s would have been no-gap.

Bad luck also that I had an epi AND a spinal, and double the hit to my pocket sad.gif

You don't really budget for that scenario. Lucky the baby is absolutely lovely, and very healthy  biggrin.gif

#9 Lainskii

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:57 AM

I was annoyed as I had a planned CS due to issues and the day before the anaesthists secretary rag and said it the bill would be approx $800, when it came it was $1400. My op didn't take any longer than normal and had no issues.

#10 ednaboo

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:11 AM

You should at least be able to claim a tax rebate for this under "medical expenses over $2060".  ATO.

#11 barrington

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:21 AM

That sucks OP!  Most anaesthetists I know would only bill you an out of pocket for the first procedure.

For anyone that is interested, here is a link to a page explaining how private anaesthetic fees are calculated.

And for a PP - anaesthetic fees are calculated on a time basis.  So if your operation did take longer than your estimate was based on, then your fee would be higher.

#12 Soontobegran

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:29 AM

QUOTE (barrington @ 16/02/2013, 09:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That sucks OP!  Most anaesthetists I know would only bill you an out of pocket for the first procedure.

For anyone that is interested, here is a link to a page explaining how private anaesthetic fees are calculated.

And for a PP - anaesthetic fees are calculated on a time basis.  So if your operation did take longer than your estimate was based on, then your fee would be higher.

You are lucky barrington, I admit to not knowing too many that will do that original.gif

The problem with this is that the anaesthetist will put their own dollar value on top of the AMA value and since the AMA value is more than the scheduled fee value and this leave an enormous gap for so many.

#13 IsolaBella

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:33 AM

QUOTE (ednaboo @ 16/02/2013, 09:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You should at least be able to claim a tax rebate for this under "medical expenses over $2060".  ATO.

The threshold has increased to $5k for 2012/13

#14 tibs

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:51 AM

If it makes you fee any better I had a straightforward 30 min scheduled c-sec and had an OOP anaesthetist bill around that size and that was just for the spinal.  I had a different anaesthetist for my second scheduled c-sec and only had approx $500 OOP bill.  I had no OOP charge at all with my 3rd scheduled c-sec.  All 3 with the same Ob, same private hospital, all scheduled.  That was the only bill I had, Ob, assisting Ob and hospital were all covered.

#15 ednaboo

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:26 AM

QUOTE (lsolaBella @ 16/02/2013, 10:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The threshold has increased to $5k for 2012/13

Only for high incomes - $168,000 for couples apparently.

#16 Lokum

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:42 PM

QUOTE (ednaboo @ 16/02/2013, 09:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah. Another sucky thing is that we had huge OOP in 2012 because of IVF early in the year, then obstetric and anaesthetic! fees later in the year - total around $7500.

However, these were split over the 2011-12 and 2012-13 financial years, so we'll have to meet the threshold for the tax rebate in each financial year before we can claim, and we'll probably get 75 cents or something back...

I know there are worse problems to have, but gahhh!

#17 Wildence

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:09 AM

QUOTE (Lokum @ 15/02/2013, 01:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lucky the baby is absolutely lovely, and very healthy  biggrin.gif

I was just going to say that! Thank god to a healthy baby original.gif

I had to do D&C one year ago, and ended up 1k OOP for such a small and common procedure, i can totally see how frustrating it is that you have to pay that much! However at least you have a healthy baby in your arms as a result of that.

#18 tibs

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:58 AM

QUOTE (Wildence @ 17/02/2013, 01:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was just going to say that! Thank god to a healthy baby original.gif

I had to do D&C one year ago, and ended up 1k OOP for such a small and common procedure, i can totally see how frustrating it is that you have to pay that much! However at least you have a healthy baby in your arms as a result of that.

Yes same, I was actually more OOP for the D&C before my last pregnancy than I was for my last birth (scheduled c-sec).  And no baby to take the sting out of it sad.gif  Now that sucks.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.