Georgia vs Georgie
Name advice

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 sunflower08

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:11 AM

Hello all original.gif
My husband and I are expecting a lovely little girl in the near future and are currently torn in regards to names. Thought I would just gain a little advice from other expectant or current parents.

Ok..so its out of Georgia or Georgie. (Sounds simple enough but we are finding neither of us a budging on this one).
I like the name Georgia but my husband feels that he will be calling her Georgie even if we did go with that and so would prefer to just name her Georgie. In my defence if we call her Georgia she can still be called Georgie if she wishes but still also has other options down the track if she would prefer something more formal.

I guess what I'm really curious is what you all think has a nicer ring to it and also what you think is nicer for a girls name.

Would appreciate your thoughts..

Edited by sunflower08, 16 February 2013 - 09:49 PM.

#2 emlis22

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:15 AM

Georgia for me! That way you can call her Georgie, Geo, G. Despite preferring Georgia anyway, I think it goes better with your surname.

#3 WithSprinkles

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:15 AM

I'm with you. Georgie is a fantastic nickname but I think you're better off giving her a formal name so she has more options when older.

Also Georgie Boyes reminds me of the Seekers song "Georgie Girl" (even though it is girl not boy!)

#4 Bluenomi

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:19 AM

I'd go with Georgia. I find it's better to give them a full name so they have that to use as an adult. If you name them the nickname you loose that option!

#5 hopinfor5now!!

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:32 AM

biased here as we have Georgie! i have always loved the name as i used to look after a Georgie when i did family day care & she was the most relaxed, happy natured easy going child i had met. and strangley enough, so is our Georgie.

i think Georgia is alot more common & Georgie is a little(emphasis on the little) bit different without being way out there. Admittedly people do assume I have said 'Georgia' when asked for her name. And as for the nickname thing, she gets George more than Georgie.

#6 Feral Grey Mare

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:41 AM

I have a Georgina who prefers to be called Georgie but frequently gets called Georgia by new acquaintances - probably because Georgia has become more common than Georgina.

To me it is a feminine but strong name and the longer form still allows for a nickname - this is useful as you can still use the full name when yelling at them.

Just don't go down the path of spelling it Jorja.......absolutely atrocious.

#7 Zanbam

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:44 AM

I'm with you. It's nice that she will have options if she is a Georgia. Think of future job applications - Georgie looks pretty informal and like a nn.

I also think Georgia sounds better with your last name.

#8 kpingitquiet

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:45 AM

To me, Georgie is short for Georgina. I know some Georgias with the nickname Gi-gi, or Gia.

Plus "Georgie Boy" is an actual thing. A character from "A Clockwork Orange" and a song called "Georgie Boy"

#9 laridae

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:47 AM

Georgia.

Georgie is a nickname only IMHO.

Though I probably wouldn't use either with your surname.

Ever heard of Boy George?

Edited by laridae, 15 February 2013 - 08:47 AM.

#10 glasnost

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:47 AM

I love Georgia. DD actually would be Georgia if it hadn't been taken by one of DH's relos. Georgie I don't love quite so much.

#11 Ingrid the Swan

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:51 AM

I love Georgia and definitely agree with you over your DH.

BUT...

I wouldn't use either with the surname, and I would also rather find a name both can agree on rather than have both at loggerheads.

#12 calico

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:57 AM

I'd go with Georgia, even though i'm not keen on it.

Georgie reminds me of the nursery rhyme Georgie Porgie!

#13 DylMah

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:00 AM

Georgia. But then I am biased because I am a Georgia. I get Georgie and George as NNs.

I have a Georgina who prefers to be called Georgie but frequently gets called Georgia by new acquaintances - probably because Georgia has become more common than Georgina.

I got called Georgina a lot as a child, and still get it now from people who read my name rather than hear my name.

Edited by DylMah, 15 February 2013 - 09:01 AM.

#14 julies1980

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:04 AM

i have a georgina and she get called george or georgie... so if you like both names go georgia for offical name and georgie as a nickname for the family???....

#15 Bunbaker

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:34 AM

Our DD is Georgia. She has just turned 8. I LOVE her name. I think it looks pretty and is lovely.

Georgia seems more finished to me but she does get called Georgie or even George alot.

Its funny because I really don't like the name George for a male but when I say George to her it seems girly.
I have had many people say ho pretty the name Georgia is!!

I would say stick with Georgia

Good luck

#16 wish*upon*a*star

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:41 AM

Georgia is my clear favourite

#17 Lishyfips

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:20 AM

QUOTE (WithSprinkles @ 15/02/2013, 09:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also Georgie Boyes reminds me of the Seekers song "Georgie Girl" (even though it is girl not boy!)

That was the first thought I had too! And no one wants their name associated with The Seekers! Shudder at the thought.

Georgia is a proper name, Georgie sounds like a derivitive of Georgina. Cute nickname but sometimes it's good to have the more formal version.

Actually, why not go with Georgina? Georgina Boyes sounds better than Georgia Boyes, I reckon, because it has three syllables. Gives the whole name a bit more weight and substance.

#18 Bel Rowley

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:23 AM

QUOTE (Old Grey Mare @ 15/02/2013, 09:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

To me it is a feminine but strong name and the longer form still allows for a nickname - this is useful as you can still use the full name when yelling at them.

Just don't go down the path of spelling it Jorja.......absolutely atrocious.

Agreed!

I am another Georgina who is often called Georgie. I much prefer Georgina to Georgia, but Georgia is still nice. I definitely would not use Georgie given your surname.

#19 Betty_D

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:25 AM

Honestly, I'm not too keen on the combination of either name with your surname, but my pick would be Georgia to avoid the "Georgie boy" connotations.

#20 FlamingoG

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:32 AM

I would have to agree that it's not good with your surname - the Boy George factor, but also a fairly masculine name with boys. And she may well grow up and hate being Georgie for short, and people singing The Seekers at her, and go for George.

I know I did!

#21 MandaMama

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:48 AM

I also agree that Georgia goes better with your surname. Like a PP, I also thought of the Seekers song "Georgie Girl" when I read "Georgie Boyes".

Congratulations on expecting a little girl!

#22 coco100

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:33 PM

I have a Georgie who is 'just Georgie' and I really, truly love it. At the time I didn't love Georgina but it has grown on me. I do prefer it to Georgia although that is perfectly nice too.

I think te job application argument against Georgie is quite weak given some of the names which crop up in US politics for example... Mitt? Barack?

#23 Feral Grey Mare

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:37 PM

QUOTE (coco100 @ 15/02/2013, 04:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have a Georgie who is 'just Georgie' and I really, truly love it. At the time I didn't love Georgina but it has grown on me. I do prefer it to Georgia although that is perfectly nice too.

I think te job application argument against Georgie is quite weak given some of the names which crop up in US politics for example... Mitt? Barack?

Newt?

#24 bakesgirls

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:46 PM

I have a Georgia who we all call Georgie or George. I think Georgia is much nicer as a name and anything else can be a nick name.

#25 CountryFeral

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:48 PM

Georgia.

Not Georgie, not with your surname... it comes with A LOT of baggage!

QUOTE (kpingitquiet @ 15/02/2013, 09:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Plus "Georgie Boy" is an actual thing. A character from "A Clockwork Orange" and a song called "Georgie Boy"

Georgie Boy song... very sad.

Georgie Boy character... creepy!

Edited by countrymel, 15 February 2013 - 03:52 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recall: Another cot deemed unsafe

Parents are being warned to check their baby's cot is not one of those which have been recalled in recent weeks due to safety concerns.

The truth about breastfeeding and weightloss

Celebrities often state that their post-baby weight loss is down to breastfeeding, and breastfeeding alone. But that's not the reality for all women.

10 weird things little kids do

Most kids have their own personal brand of oddity. It's usually nothing to worry about, but every now and again you might find yourself scratching your head and asking, ?Really? Is that really a thing??

The app that helps detect signs of autism

Parents can assess their children's progress at critical developmental stages, thanks to this new app.

Long battle to learn the truth about Ariana's birth

Cerise and Tim Lawn spent two years fighting to find out how a healthy pregnancy turned into a nightmare birth, and why their daughter now suffers from disabilities she shouldn't have.

Christina Aguilera announces daughter's name

Christina Aguilera and her fiance, Matt Rutler, have welcomed their daughter into the world.

Couple caught in surrogacy crackdown

An Australian couple caught up in Thailand's surrogacy crackdown have said many parents are distraught and facing dire financial difficulties as are they are unable to bring their surrogate-born babies home.

'Tired' mum dies of undiagnosed diabetes

New mum Nicky Rigby thought her exhaustion was due to the demands of looking after her baby. But the 26-year-old was seriously ill with diabetes, and died due to her condition not being diagnosed.

5 co-sleeping myths busted

In case you are co-sleeping with your baby, and all the ?helpful? advice from others is sending you down the slippery slope of self-doubt, let?s bust a few myths on the topic.

When pregnancy takes you down memory lane

One mum-to-be discovers pregnancy hormones can give rise to some surprising emotions.

What?s your love language?

The secret to making your partner feel special is to know which language of love they favour ? and it?s the same for your kids, too.

Returning to exercise after a caesarean

I had my daughter four months ago via caesarean, and I want to get back into exercise. What are some good first steps I can take?

20 signs of a great relationship

The secret to a perfect relationship is admitting you are wrong after an argument, five kisses a day and sex twice a week, a new survey suggests.

Video: emotional 60-second Robin Williams tribute

Take a minute to remember some of the greatest films of your childhood ... and have a few tissues close at hand.

The realities of escaping domestic violence

?Why doesn?t she just leave?? is the common question people ask when trying to understand domestic violence. For many, leaving the relationship is far from straightforward.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Do you suffer from Precious Firstborn Syndrome?

Testing ?no more tears? shampoo in your own eyes, warming cucumber sticks so they're not cold straight from the fridge, waking a sleeping baby to check they?re still breathing: these are all symptoms of Precious Firstborn Syndrome.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

Mums hit hardest as flu cases skyrocket

The number of confirmed cases of influenza in Australia has doubled the number for the same time last year - and women are 25 per cent more likely to get it.

The mum who had four babies in nine months

Feeling exhausted due to the demands of caring for a baby? Imagine the life of this mum, who gave birth to three boys and one girl in just nine months.

Everything baby at Big W

Lowest prices on everything baby, only at Big W. Sale starts August 4 and ends August 20 2014.

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

Mum gives birth at school

Whether they're out of favour traditional names, or the parents were a little creative, here are the least popular names of 2013.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.