Names linked with positive biblical characters.
Not too unusual!

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 PatG

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:04 PM

On behalf of a friend who is having her second baby in about 3 weeks I'm after suggestions of possible biblical names which are not particularly negative (i.e. not something like Judas).  Their first child is Deborah.  Any ideas?

Edited by PatG, 14 February 2013 - 07:16 PM.

#2 Lyra

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:10 PM

Probably rules out Delilah and Jezebel too wink.gif

Does she know what she is having?

#3 FreshAirFreedom

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:10 PM

Ruth
Esther

Noah (bit popular?)
Adam

#4 Excentrique Feral

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:12 PM

Rachel, Hannah, Esther, Ruth, Mary, Elizabeth, Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Isaiah, Jacob, Daniel, David there are so many!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_biblical_names

Edited by Excentrique, 14 February 2013 - 07:14 PM.

#5 Dresden

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:13 PM

Jonah, Elijah, Daniel

Ruth, Mary, Rachel

#6 PatG

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:19 PM

No, she doesn't know if she's having a boy or girl.  I like Hannah.

Didn't Jacob do something dodgy - cheated or deceived someone?  Can't remember.

#7 Feral_Pooks

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:44 PM

Jonah
Adam
Eve
Hannah
Sarah
Ruth
Mary

Avoid Noah! Lol

#8 CupOfCoffee

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:00 PM

QUOTE (PatG @ 14/02/2013, 07:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Didn't he wear a goat skin so he would feel as hairy as his older brother to get something (might have been Israel)... (Which is why Jacob means usurp).

But I get my religious education from musicals..

Way way back many centuries ago
  Not long after the Bible began
  Jacob lived in the land of Canaan
  A fine example of a family man
  Jacob. Jacob and sons
  Depended on farming to earn their keep
  Jacob. Jacob and sons
  Spent all of his days in the fields with sheep
  Jacob was the founder of a whole new nation
  Thanks to the number of children he had
He was also known as Israel, but most of the time
  His sons and his wives used to call him Dad
  Jacob. Jacob and sons
  Men of the soil, of the sheaf and crook
  Jacob. Jacob and sons
  A remarkable family in anyone's book
  Reuben was the eldest of the children of Israel
  With Simeon and Levi the next in line
  Napthali and Isaachar with Asher and Dan
  Zebulon and Gad took the total to nine
  Jacob. Jacob and sons
  Benjamin and Judah, which leaves only one
  Jacob. Jacob and sons
  Joseph-- Jacob's favorite son

#9 Ianthe

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:05 PM

Esther, Ruth, Samuel, Gideon.

#10 FEdeRAL

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:08 PM

Jemima
Tabitha
Samuel
Abraham

#11 Feral_Pooks

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:55 PM

You just don't see that many Napthali's do ya?

#12 NotBitzerMaloney

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:01 PM

Asher
Jacob
Jethro
Levi
Nathan

Ariel
Rachel
Sarah
Selah
Tamar

Edited by NotBitzerMaloney, 14 February 2013 - 09:11 PM.

#13 RunDMC

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:58 PM

QUOTE (CupOfCoffee @ 14/02/2013, 09:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Didn't he wear a goat skin so he would feel as hairy as his older brother to get something (might have been Israel)... (Which is why Jacob means usurp).

But I get my religious education from musicals..

Way way back many centuries ago
  Not long after the Bible began
  Jacob lived in the land of Canaan
  A fine example of a family man
  Jacob. Jacob and sons

Arrghhh I knew I should not have opened this thread, was about to go to bed but now will be singing this for hours.

#14 butterfly-vjb

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:12 PM

I like Esther and Caleb

#15 soapy

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:18 PM

Caleb.  wub.gif

#16 kerilyntaryn

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:18 PM

Esther
Ruth
Sarah
Naomi
Lydia
Tirzah
Elizabeth
Johanna
Susanna
Eve
Anna
Mary
Miriam
Ada
Chloe
Hannah
Tabitha
Kezia
Leah
Martha
Phoebe
Priscilla

Samuel
Noah
Levi
Enoch
Elisha
Elijah
Ethan
James
Jarod
Jesse
Joel
Jonathon
Asher
Joseph
Joshua
Caleb
Moses
Benjamin
Aaron
Adam
Daniel
David
Gabriel
Josiah
Isaac
Isaiah
Ezra
Ezekial
Mathew
Mark
Luke
John
Giden
Nathaniel
Paul
Peter
Philip
Reuben
Thomas
Simon
Simeon
Solomon
Stephen
Thaddeus
Titus
Timothy
Zachariah
Zephaniah
Saul
Silas
Micah
Malachi
Micaiah
Michael
Alexander
Seth

#17 PatG

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:37 AM

Thanks all.  I think I've spotted the names of all her nieces and nephews!  Esther is kind of cool.

#18 Feral Grey Mare

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:08 AM

Jesus?

#19 CFMummy

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:16 AM

Leah
Dinah
rachael

#20 la di dah

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:29 PM

Some of my favourite boys that aren't too unusual
Isaac
John, Jonathan, Joel, Jared, Joshua, Jethro.
Benjamin
Aaron, Asher, Amos.
Dan, Daniel (two different Biblical guys)
Gabriel, Gideon, Gilead
Micah, Malachi, Michael
Nathan, Nathaniel

Girls
Rachel, Rebecca/Rebekah, Ruth
Naomi - I *heart* Naomi but could never use it with our last name.
Judith
Kezia
Leah
Hannah, Anne
Abigail
Sarah, Sarai

Since it's not like the Bible was written in English anyway I'd be tempted to include other translations, like Spanish spellings of Biblical names, mostly because I like Joaquin and Raquel, but I don't know if you'd count those.

If you open the girl's names up to feminizations of the boys' names there's about 3050 options, some of my favourites would be Jane, Simone, Josephine, and Natania.

#21 Emmaleee

Posted 16 February 2013 - 06:17 PM

I have a friend with a beautiful little boy named Judah (as opposed to Judas), it means praise be to God original.gif

i only know boys ones
Noah
Elijah
Levi
etc

#22 B.feral3

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:09 PM

Isaac
Adam
Luke
Elias
Benjamin

#23 aprilrain

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:33 PM

I have an 11yo Jonah, and he prefers to be called this over Joe, Joey etc. also a 13 yo Samuel that likes to be called Sam.

Solomon (Solly)

or wiki/List_of_women_in_the_Bible with comments on their biblical role. Or this is more comprehensive http://www.christiananswers.net/dictionary/women.html

edited because I mucked it up.

Edited by aprilrain, 16 February 2013 - 07:43 PM.

#24 alison7304

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:48 PM

Ethan
Jaden (biblical is Jadon).
Bowen (Bohan)

Reba but its too close to Deborah
bother I did used to have a heap, just can't think of any girl names.

#25 Musk Sticks

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:08 PM

QUOTE (PatG @ 14/02/2013, 08:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Jacob was actually a very holy and righteous man, this is why he merited to father the 12 tribes of Israel.

Jacob did "deceive" his father Isaac under the guidance of his mother Rebecca.
This was not an "evil" act on anybody's part.

Jacob was Esau's younger twin brother.

Esau was a wicked person, but because he was the 'firstborn' he was destined to receive a greater blessing from his father. However, years before, when Isaac was mourning his father's death, Esau sold this "birthright" to Jacob for a bowl of lentils.

Jacob , however, was unaware that the brothers had made this exchange.

During Isaac's last days, he called his sons to his side to be blessed.

Rebecca knew that Esau wasn't fit to receive the holy blessing intended for the firstborn and so with her wisdom and foresight, she helped Jacob secure this blessing (which he had previously "bought" from his brother) by disguising himself as Esau.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Clever panda fakes pregnancy

News that a giant panda was pregnant prompted much excitement, but it appears there were never any cubs on the way.

'I survived placenta percreta'

When writing her birth plan, Simone Pavil included an item most women wouldn?t even think about: what should happen if she was put on life support. The mum had the potentially fatal condition placenta accreta.

Managing personal space as a mum

In the midst of the early parenting years, our bodies and minds can seemingly be overtaken by our offspring. How can we balance our need for personal space with the needs of our children?

'If love could have saved you, you'd have never left'

The words "spontaneous abortion" on the hospital paperwork really got to me. My baby died; I didn't spontaneously decide to abort him.

15 classic Aussie ads

Watch some of the classic Australian ads of the 80s, 90s and 00s, and remember the catchphrases and jingles we all used to know so well ...

For and against

Should Blue Ivy have been at the VMAs?

Many were quick to condemn Beyonce and Jay Z after appearing on stage at the MTV Video Music Awards with their two-year-old daughter, but others thought it was a sweet family moment. What do you think?

Toddler attacked at gym creche

Two-year-old girl Eva Ness was left with a black eye and bite marks on her face and body after an altercation with an older child at a health club's child-minding facilities. Now her parents are calling for the centre to be closed.

Pregnancy a tricky matter of timing for FIFO couples

Manipulating rosters, coordinating 'conjugal' visits, working on site with your partner; getting pregnant can prove stressful for FIFO workers.

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

Carseats have twice as many germs as a toilet

Most parents know their child's carseat is not always squeaky clean, but they might not realise just how dirty it really is.

Doctors remove foetus from 'medical marvel' after 36 years

Doctors in India have removed the skeleton of a foetus that had been inside a woman for 36 years.

Nine months in six seconds: new parents' Vine clip a hit

We?ve seen some memorable time-lapse pregnancy and birth announcement videos before. Now one new couple has taken it to the extreme, capturing it all in just a six-second Vine video.

Sonia Kruger speaks of baby joy

Celebrity mum-to-be Sonia Kruger has spoken candidly about using donor eggs and IVF to fall pregnant at age 48.

Dressing to not impress: life through the eyes of a three-year-old

When it comes to getting dressed, my three-year-old has only one criterion: ?I don?t want to look beautiful.? And now I've worked out why.

Special nappies made with love for angel babies

Angel Baby Nappies make and provide tiny bereavement cloth nappies for pre-term stillborn babies and premature babies who pass away in the NICU.

Inside the brain of a tantruming toddler

What's going on in your child's mind in the lead-up to a tantrum? And what?s the best way to respond?

5 secrets to a long-lasting relationship

When it comes to keeping your relationship strong, it?s what you do - and not what you want - that really matters.

When 'furbabies' meet real babies

I am obsessed with my dogs, and can't imagine loving them any less once my baby arrives. But that doesn't stop everyone from telling me I will.

The least popular baby names of 2013

Looking for a baby name that?s nowhere near the top 10 ? or even the top 1000? Try the bottom five.

'I was so sleep deprived I crashed my car'

There are no laws regulating driving while tired, but statistics show that driver fatigue is one of the top three contributors to the road toll.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Do you suffer from Precious Firstborn Syndrome?

Testing ?no more tears? shampoo in your own eyes, warming cucumber sticks so they're not cold straight from the fridge, waking a sleeping baby to check they?re still breathing: these are all symptoms of Precious Firstborn Syndrome.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

Mums hit hardest as flu cases skyrocket

The number of confirmed cases of influenza in Australia has doubled the number for the same time last year - and women are 25 per cent more likely to get it.

The mum who had four babies in nine months

Feeling exhausted due to the demands of caring for a baby? Imagine the life of this mum, who gave birth to three boys and one girl in just nine months.

Everything baby at Big W

Lowest prices on everything baby, only at Big W. Sale starts August 4 and ends August 20 2014.

Going viral

Weirdest pregnancy products

From pee stick keepers to stylish sick bags, there are some very strange inventions out there for pregnant women.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.