Aussie Farmers Direct
Anyone use them?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Funky Cold Ribena

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:07 PM

I'm thinking of using Aussie Farmers Direct for my milk, cheese, bread and fruit and veg, just the basic stuff. I've never ordered groceries before so not sure what to expect.

Have you/ do you use them? Do you recommend them?

TIA

#2 SlinkyMalinki

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:18 PM

I've used them for about a year.

We're currently just getting bread and milk twice a week, no complaints there.

We were getting their fruit, and the quality was pretty good, but it was delivered on Thursdays, which wasn't really when we needed it, so just cancelled.

#3 SummerRain

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:20 PM

i use them for milk and veges.

Milk tastes really nice and the veges that have been delivered have been really good.

I would recommend them.

#4 anna_garny

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:20 PM

I'm in Bendigo and I've used them for a while - we get bread, milk, orange juice and sometimes a veggie box if they're a good selection that week.

Bear in mind that they are franchises, so sometimes the quality can fluctuate, but the best way (we found) to do it is start small. So start maybe with the once-a-week just milk and bread and then add the odd extra bit as you go along; see how the quality is from your local guys.

Yes, the prices are a bit higher, but it means that we only go to the supermarket once a week (Monday nights) and get extra bread and milk delivered on Thursdays, which stops me from going to the supermarket on Thursday and spending another $50 (impulse buys are the bane of my life. I think I might switch to online shopping ONLY when this kid gets here...)

#5 Funky Cold Ribena

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:22 PM

QUOTE (SlinkyMalinki @ 14/02/2013, 04:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've used them for about a year.

We're currently just getting bread and milk twice a week, no complaints there.

We were getting their fruit, and the quality was pretty good, but it was delivered on Thursdays, which wasn't really when we needed it, so just cancelled.

Yes, the fruit and veg will come on Thursdays for our area too, which is fine. Was the quality good?

#6 item

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:03 PM

We found the quality of the f&v generally quite good.

However, in our area, the bread was not fresh (before or after new supplier) - tasted like it had been frozen then defrosted and a couple of times our deliveries were HOURS late (as in 2am) and then not put in the esky I'd left out on the (lit) porch - stuff was just propped against the door.

We liked one or two of the pre-prepared meals (beef pies were a hit) but most of the other time-saving meals were gross and gristly.  We found the prices VERY reasonable (Sydney) but in the end the sh*t customer service turned us off.  Shame, it was very handy while it lasted.

#7 HGL

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:03 PM

We purchased milk, eggs and meat from them for a while.

The deliveries didn't really work for us as they delivered on a Saturday at around 4am. Our bedroom window is right near the front window so we would end up sleeping really lightly and getting woken up by the delivery. So then we'd bring the delivery in and pop it the fridge and it would be impossible to go back to sleep.

Also, the meat was terrible. It looked fine but when cooked was very fatty (lots of fat spread over the cooktop and left in the pan) compared to the meat we normally buy from a butcher. (TMI warning**) It also resulted in terribly, smelly farts. Honestly, I realise it sounds bizarre but the farts were awful. There was nothing else we changed in our diet and as soon as we stopped eating the meat, no more smells.

They do source meat from different locations depending on the state so other places might be fine.

Check out their reviews on Product Review. Lots of customers unhappy with them.

#8 Ice Queen

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:12 PM

I used them while I lived in Perth and thought they were fantastic.  Excellent service, good quality (bread was delicious), no fuss.  Meat was fine although I didnt like their bacon.

But yes, they are a franchise so how good it is will depend on how good your area's franchisees are.

BTW, just to clarify from the PP's comment about getting up at 4am to unpack delivery.  You don't have to, it comes in an esky with ice packs so we always brought it in when we got up at 7ish.

Edited by Ehill, 14 February 2013 - 04:14 PM.

#9 TenYears

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:14 PM

We used them for ages and thought they were great.  The F&V were fantastic.    Then the local franchise changed hands and the quality declined sharply.   I complained and gave them a chance to fix things but bad vegies kept arriving so I cancelled my account.

So they can be great, or really ordinary.  Probably worth a try if you want to get things that way.

#10 SlinkyMalinki

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:16 PM

The quality was generally good.  We occasionally had a few average runs, but overall it was worthwhile.

#11 lclb

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:19 PM

I've used them for about a year, initially we started with fruit and vege and milk and bread.

After a while we found the fruit and vege quality was lacking so cancelled that part.

In Sydney the bread supplier went under around Christmas time so they are basically providing unmarked goodman fielder bread which is hit and miss in regard to freshness. I believe they are going to have a new bread supplier for Sydney around Easter time so will stick it out til then and see how that goes.

It is convenient to have the milk and bread delivered to the door twice a week!

#12 againagain

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:19 PM

We used them a  while back just for fruit and veg. I cancelled it after I had complained twice about mouldy things (once onions, once grapes) and was never offered a replacement or anything other than the customer service person saying "oh dear".

I can get cheaper at the fruit and veg market near me, it's just more annoying to have to go there. I wish they had been good for us because I did enjoy the convenience.

#13 For Fox Sake

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:25 PM

HATED them. Had nothing but drama with money being debited on the wrong day, wrong items in my order.. HATED THEM.
Meat was overpriced and highly fatty.

#14 HGL

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:29 PM

QUOTE (Ehill @ 14/02/2013, 02:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
BTW, just to clarify from the PP's comment about getting up at 4am to unpack delivery. You don't have to, it comes in an esky with ice packs so we always brought it in when we got up at 7ish.

Yes, it got delivered and left in an esky but the delivery's vans headlights shining into our window would wake us up.

#15 BetteBoop

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:33 PM

I've used them for a year or so now but only for bread and milk. Never a problem in that time.

I prefer their milk and bread to the popular brands.

#16 kpingitquiet

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:36 PM

Love em! My weekly box of fruit and veggies arrived a short while ago. Hooray! We get milk, bread, and eggs on Tuesdays. Have been using them for close to two years, now. No complaints.

#17 BetteBoop

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:39 PM

QUOTE (HGL @ 14/02/2013, 04:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Check out their reviews on Product Review. Lots of customers unhappy with them.

The review average is 3.7 out of 4. It would suggest most people are happy with them, wouldn't it?

http://www.productreview.com.au/p/aussie-farmers-direct.html

#18 JECJEC

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:44 PM

Wasn't fussed on the quality of the fruit and veg. Love having the milk delivered.

#19 kpingitquiet

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:45 PM

It should be pointed out that it is essentially a franchise business. So quality of service can't really be compared unless you live in the same delivery zone. Quality of product would be up for debate, though, within the same supply district. We're spoiled here and get Paris Creek milk so lucky us!

#20 HGL

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:46 PM

QUOTE (Beetlebop @ 14/02/2013, 02:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The review average is 3.7 out of 4. It would suggest most people are happy with them, wouldn't it?

http://www.productreview.com.au/p/aussie-farmers-direct.html

Perhaps but the comments of the most recent reviews aren't particularly positive.

And it's 3.7 out of 5.

Edited by HGL, 14 February 2013 - 04:52 PM.

#21 Dylan's Mummy

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:58 PM

I've used them for a while now. Generally everything is pretty good. The negatives so far are some rotten potatoes and onions. The packs of 4 meat pies aren't very nice and the hamburger patties are really fatty but once cooked and the fat soaked off they do taste nice.

I found that if I ordered say 2 sweet potatoes they would often give me 4 if the ones they had were a bit small. The family meat pie is nice and so is the banana and raspberries cake. They have just brought out baby food (for 10 months and up) and I bought a pack of 6 this week, it's expensive but I thought I would get some, but had it for lunch today and liked it. Their meat balls are good too.

#22 jemsoli

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:00 PM

we have used AFD for awhile, though had a break of about a year or so (not needed whilst i was not pregnant) but we are getting milk, bread and eggs delivered again.

i have never had any probs with the meat - though i only buy the cheaper things as it is a bit pricey. mince i found was fine, same with beef strips, sausages, chicken breasts and tenderloin kebab things.

fruit and veg, i was always getting F&V that took a week to ripen, so green bananas, hard pears and avocados. its just too hard for me to plan F&V that far in advance.

i love the taste of the milk but as i discovered yesterday the milk does not froth in my aldi milk frother (for the expressi coffee pod machine) which i was devastated about. it was pretty much just warm milk, no froth at all.

the bread always seems like it is a day old, but really, if you buy bread from the supermarket you are also getting day old bread anyway. the sourdough bread is really good though.

#23 jessie123

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:05 PM

Tried them for fruit & veg and the quality wasn't great and was expensive.

Id rather go to the shops and pick my own.

#24 F1widow

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:08 PM

Ive been with AFD for about 2 years. Like PP, I've found some things hit and miss. It will be up to the local supplier, of course, and if you do a search you mind find the local supplier have a Facebook which is good.

Pros
Quality of the food - when its good its really good - the organic pumpkin has been amaze balls the last few weeks and I really don't like pumpkin normally
Convenience and regular orders means we never have bare cupboards for long laughing2.gif
Customer service is excellent and I've found the communication from the supplier has been good

Cons
I don't like everything - the cheese and bread arent great and I've had a few dodgy potatoes too
I'd prefer a twice weekly F&V delivery as we find we have to supplement with big two shops for salad and other bits that don't last

#25 domestically~challenged

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:20 PM

I tried it for about 6 months and wasn't very impressed with fruit, veg, meat or bread.

Edited by domestically~challenged, 14 February 2013 - 05:21 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, out now on DVD, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s pre-school or day care!

Toddler freed after getting trapped in escalator

A shopping centre escalator needed to be pulled apart to free a toddler's trapped hand.

Why I'm kind of excited about my daughter's nits

Is it weird to say that I am secretly thrilled to find that my daughter Edie has nits?

Baby born at 10:11 on 12-13-14

Well, it's actually 13-12-14 to us over here. But still, Clare Elizabeth Keane's consecutive numerical birth time is pretty special.

On holding tightly and loving fiercely

We can't live in fear. This post is about Christmas and how at this time we should be celebrating life and grateful for what we have: our loved ones who we cherish fiercely.

Babies, relatives and coping with Christmas day

Everyone will love your baby but your baby may not be so happy to be passed around a lot of new people - nor may you want to feed with an audience.

Why I won't be posting pictures of my baby on Facebook

There are pros and cons to this policy.

The myths and truths of gender swaying

Here are a few popular methods hopeful parents-to-be use to try to get a baby of their preferred gender – and what an expert says about whether they really work.

10 easy DIY Christmas decoration ideas

It's officially time to get into the Christmas spirit. Why not branch out when you put up your tree this year and add a personal touch with a few DIY decorations? We've found the perfect easy-to-make ways to put more festive fever into your home.

The dangerous new trend of glucose challenge test refusal

A dangerous trend is seeing more mothers-to-be declining a relatively simple and painless test to check for gestational diabetes.

Office of Fair Trading reveals naughty toys ahead of Christmas

The Office of Fair Trading has pulled seven toys from shelves ahead of Christmas after they fail safety tests.

Video: Baby boy's trouble with twins

These twin girls will no doubt have fun fooling people in years to come, but nobody will be as confused as baby Landon.

Long-term reversible male contraceptive on its way

Men could soon have access to an injectable long-term contraceptive which works in a similar way to a vasectomy but promises to be easily reversed.

'I tried to kill my baby': one mum's story

After bathing and dressing her three-month-old son, Amanda had a rare moment alone with her baby.

Attack of the 'mummy brain'

I feel that almost every day, someone in my life - be they a friend, family member or complete stranger - feels the need to excuse my behaviour as I have other things on my mind.

Mum of baby who fell ill after drinking raw milk speaks out

A Melbourne mother has described how her son turned grey when he became seriously ill after drinking raw milk.

Australian divorce rate lowest since 1976

Modern newlyweds are now well into their 30s and marriage still offers something powerful a new book argues.

The aftermath of a traumatic birth experience

In Australia, 30 per cent of women find their birth experience traumatic, with 6 per cent going on to develop post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

Young mum burns 'from inside-out'

A young mum is in intensive care after she took a friend's antibiotic and wound up with an ailment that is burning her body 'from the inside-out'.

The disagreement that can break a relationship

If he doesn't change his mind, all I can hope is that I will. It would be a waste to spend the rest of my marriage mourning a baby that never was.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Co-sleeping or no-sleeping? Mum videos worst nap ever

One mother's futile attempt to sleep in caught on camera in a hilarious - and very cute - video.

Why children misbehave during the festive season

While we all like to imagine the holiday season as being a fun, loving and bonding experience; often our reality is quiet different.

I was fat-shamed by my doctor

The fear of being weighed is the most significant factor in women cancelling medical appointments - and now weight-shaming has happened to me.

End of an era: no more childcare

As we reach the end of 2014, we're closing the book on many things for another year, most notably childcare. Our last child has attended childcare for the very last time.

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, out now on DVD, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s pre-school or day care!

The 7-year itch is more like the 10-year itch: study

Contrary to popular belief, making it past the seven-year mark doesn't mean your marriage will be smooth sailing from there on.

Should children be forced to sit on Santa's lap?

We teach kids it’s okay to say no if they don’t feel safe, so why do some parents force their children to climb in to Santa's lap?

Stop telling us that parenting gets harder

I’m sure that parenting will get harder. But life isn’t exactly smooth sailing for many of us right now, either.

Baby born weighing almost 14 pounds

Yes, the bouncing baby girl was born by caesarean section. And mum says no more kids.

The dummy debate

I'm the first to admit that when I used to see tiny babies with dummies in their mouths, I thought "Hmm, lazy parenting." And now I apologise.

'I thought I was an only child'

Imagine meeting your double at a school sports event, or regularly being mistaken for someone you haven't met. Separated twins Margaret and Joy tell their story.

Carers admit to force-feeding children

As Sydney grieves the loss of Sydney siege victims Katrina Dawson and Tori Johnson, reports have suggested that both died as heroes.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.