Where do you want your kids to grow up?
And is it the same environment you grew up in?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Academic

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:07 PM

I don't have kids yet but hopefully they are in my future. I was just pondering where I grew up, where I live now and what I would want for my children. DH and I both grew up on the Gold Coast and hated it, except for the beaches (and our friends). We now live in inner-city Brisbane and love it. We've also lived in inner-city Sydney and inner-city London, and loved those too. So it's safe to say we're city people. Having said that, we're also both very comfortable in rural environments, quite interested in permaculture etc. For a lot of my friends, their ideal environment to raise kids would be the bush, where they have wide open spaces, get up close with nature, have a relaxed sort of environment etc. I think I'd actually like to raise my kids in the inner city, right where we are now. Our suburb has such a strong community, you can walk everywhere and there's always something to do. I would have loved to have grown up here.

I've decided my ideal would be having a main home in the city, and a holiday home in the bush - on acreage in Northern NSW, perhaps. And when I say holiday home, I mean a rustic cabin, or a yurt (I'm obsessed with yurts). It could be rented out at other times of the year and weekends we weren't using it. Best of both worlds!

(I know - wouldn't we all like a holiday home? I'm not saying it's realistic, just ideal! happy.gif)

If you were lucky enough to have the choice, what would be the ideal environment for your family? And is the same as the area you grew up in, or vastly different?

#2 cinnabubble

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:09 PM

I would raise them as inner city as possible. I honestly don't understand why anybody would want to live anywhere else. I grew up in the dire suburbs and they scarred me for life.

#3 Feral Mozzie

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:12 PM

Somewhere near the beach, with an inner city feel to it. Unfortunately, that's WAY put of our price range sad.gif.

#4 R2B2

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:15 PM

in the country.
not too country though.
a nice medium sized town that has all the good facilities, but is small enough to feel "close knit"
or right where we are biggrin.gif they are happy and don't know the difference. we can take holidays to the country to visit family and get a "fresh air" fix original.gif

#5 Domestic Goddess

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:20 PM

Not the same envirnonment. Not even the same country lol. I moved to Europe when I was a preschooler.

Anyway, I HATED living in a small, wet, cold and overcrowded country. We used to have 40 acres in Kurrajong NSW, so I got a major culture shock when moving onto a 450m2 block with a 2 story house.

This is why we moved back in 2003. I will never ever move to a crowded area (like one of the major cities in Australia)  again. I now live in the "burbs" up on the North Coast of NSW and its great for kids to live here. Beautiful beaches on 1 side, pristine rainforests on the other. All while still having the conveniences of a big city. Ie: buses, airport, harbour, shopping centers, etc.

#6 PrincessPeach

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:24 PM

by the beach!

I've made the seachange to the Gold Coast from the suburbs & am loving every minute of it.

#7 mel43

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:33 PM

I've lived in the mountains my entire life. I can't imagine being happy anywhere else.
My kids have also lived here their entire lives (obviously) and they're pretty happy too.

#8 Ally'smum

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:40 PM

QUOTE (cinnabubble @ 14/02/2013, 02:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would raise them as inner city as possible. I honestly don't understand why anybody would want to live anywhere else. I grew up in the dire suburbs and they scarred me for life.

I hated our suburb and even now when I visit my parents I wonder why anyone would live there, as a teenager I dreamed of living inner city, that's where I moved when I out and no amount of living space or media rooms would get me back to the outer suburbs!

#9 wish*upon*a*star

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:40 PM

DH and I grew up in a large country town and this is where we plan to raise DD

#10 Feral Grey Mare

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:41 PM

As mine ride horses/motorbikes I would love to have lived in the country when they were younger (now 14 & 18). I grew up in a small country town and loved it. Moving was not really an option as DHs job does not really come up very often in rural areas.
In an ideal world where money was no object I would have liked country acres, a beachouse and a flat bang in the middle of Sydney CBD.

#11 skylark

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:42 PM

We've made the decision to go with the Gold Coast for our permanent home. Right on the beach, perfect for us. We were in Bondi before and also Elwood in Melbourne, but Burleigh Heads is where we are happiest. I think the vibe/scene around here has come a LONG way from what it was like when op grew up here, even in the 7 years since we first came up here it has changed hugely (once the options for lunch in burleigh were 3 pie shops and a Subway, now there is a wealth of awesome options and the one remaining pie shop is barely clinging to life). The train to brisbane is an hour if you are in need of more culture than is available here, and the lifestyle is fantastic.  The outdoors/sport/beach lifestyle is what we had growing up, and what we want for our son too.

#12 More than a Mother

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:49 PM

I've actually been leaning towards moving this week.

We have a new build on an average sized block in the suburbs and I'm not happy.

I'd like to move into the hills onto an acre block, with trees and somewhere for our son to explore, have a dog etc. I'm a farm girl, and while I couldn't live on a farm again, having neighbours in a suburb with no character isn't my ideal for our son.

#13 starseed

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:55 PM

I grew up on the Gold Coast and left to go solo overseas at 19 - couldn't wait to get away! Now after living in the suburbs of Melbourne for the past 14 years I am dying to get back to the Gold Coast to bring my DD up with the out-doorsy beach lifestyle. I want her to do nippers and for us to have the luxury of a backyard pool and have beach bbq's every weekend. Fantastic weather, superb beaches. Heaven!

QUOTE (skylark @ 14/02/2013, 03:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We've made the decision to go with the Gold Coast for our permanent home. Right on the beach, perfect for us. We were in Bondi before and also Elwood in Melbourne, but Burleigh Heads is where we are happiest. I think the vibe/scene around here has come a LONG way from what it was like when op grew up here, even in the 7 years since we first came up here it has changed hugely (once the options for lunch in burleigh were 3 pie shops and a Subway, now there is a wealth of awesome options and the one remaining pie shop is barely clinging to life). The train to brisbane is an hour if you are in need of more culture than is available here, and the lifestyle is fantastic.  The outdoors/sport/beach lifestyle is what we had growing up, and what we want for our son too.

I agree Skylark- Burleigh is rockin' these days- I love all the little boutiques, cafe's and bars. The alternative therapies, holistic health & yoga industries are booming up there and this all really interests me too. The GC has come a long way! It would be my pick.

#14 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:32 PM

QUOTE (Academic @ 14/02/2013, 02:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you were lucky enough to have the choice, what would be the ideal environment for your family? And is the same as the area you grew up in, or vastly different?

Major regional town that is only an 1-2 hours from a capital city.

And that's where we live.  Love it!

If it were just DH and I, no kids - back in inner Sydney.  Upon saying that, even once the kids grow up and leave home, I don't think we'd move back there now.

#15 Ireckon

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:42 PM

We did this too. 2 hrs from the centre of Sydney. 30 minutes from town, great school, great people, and room for the kids to run.

This is perfect for us. For some, the country air is just not kosher.

#16 steppy

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:44 PM

I think these days I'd prefer the city. There's so much censure for letting your kids do anything by themselves or go outside and all those kind of things. If my kids can't roam free like wild creatures, then they may as well be where the indoor supervised activities are frequent and available

#17 FeralLIfeHacker

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:50 PM

In an ideal world I would love my kids to grow up in the country or at least not in a city.  We are working on it.  

I would not want my kids to grow up where dh and I did.  It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world but there certainly are a lot better places.

#18 Ianthe

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:55 PM

I guess it is similar although we moved out of Sydney to get it. And we are near the beach. I love it. It's a really nice laid back lifestyle but it isn't too far to head to Sydney for any major events. I could not live in Sydney again, the traffic drives me mental. Locally it doesn't take me any longer than 10 minutes to drive anywhere we need to go on a day to day basis. We have an excellent public primary school and private highschool and they are a 2 minute drive. My kids go out and play out the front with the neighbour kids. I love that.

#19 LovingTheBeach

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:57 PM

DH and  I both grew up in a large regional town and are still here with our baby, intending to stay for the foreseeable future. To me it's perfect as only a couple of hours outside the city for semi-regular trips but the feel of the country which I loved growing up! I don't think I would cope with city traffic

#20 againagain

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:07 PM

I'm in the outer suburbs of a capital city, I would much prefer to be a little further out. 3-5 acres would be ideal.

Problem is, that is what I had always envisioned for my kids, but as time has gone on I feel like I can't do it to them. They are happy and settled at school, they love the area, they are involved in local sporting clubs and have friends in the streets surrounding us. They are not country kids, or even semi-country kids. They are children of the suburbs and this is where they are happy.

It kills me that we will never go now  sad.gif  I'm working on letting the dream go, as the only person it would seem to benefit now is me.

ETA I grew up in very remote country and then moved a couple of times to larger regional towns (still not huge though). I loved the environment but hated moving, which is why I am so reluctant to move my kids when they are so happy.

Edited by againagain, 14 February 2013 - 04:08 PM.

#21 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:08 PM

I want my kids to grow up in the inner city or a big city like London, Melbourne or Sydney or in a semi rural area close to a big town centre. It's never going to happen though.

I have lived in Perth suburbs for over 20 years and I hate it, but I do actually think it's a nice place to raise kids. It's a shame I'm still here and didn't ever manage to escape for a bit before settling down.

I'm seriously considering a move to Melbourne or Sydney in the next couple of years but I think that would break my parents heart as they would be devastated to be away from their grandchildren.

#22 Kay1

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:16 PM

I love the inner city too and lived there for many years pre kids. But we love the space our suburb offers. We love our big(ger) house, large backyard, having direct access from our garden into a park. Very green, leafy school environment, no traffic or parking hassles. We have lots of parks and national parks to choose from within a few minutes drive and we can get into the city in 25-30 minutes so we still do lots of museums, outings in the city etc.

#23 Feral timtam

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:27 PM

Right where we are biggrin.gif

We have a rambling old Queenslander on a bit over 1 acre just outside of Ipswich. The house is right on the train line, I can be on the platform between the time the boom gates drop and the train stops! We've got a lovely park not even 5 minutes walk from the house and good, cheap schools within 4km of the house. On a nice day I've been taking DS1 to kindy by train and walking home.

The weather is pleasant most of the year, the kids have room to roam, the neighbours are lovely and it's such a safe neighbourhood that a lot of people don't lock their houses.

We would like something a bit better laid out and are tossing up between getting the house removed and rebuilding or having someone in to do modifications on the current building.

#24 MintyBiscuit

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:35 PM

Where we are is ideal. It's outer suburbs, but close enough to the city that we can get in there pretty often. We have a huge yard, loads of space, parklands across the road so lots of room for riding bikes and playgrounds and picnics and bushwalking and all that fun stuff. DH and I loved living in the city, and have always said we'll retire to Surry Hills, but for bringing up kids I like the 'burbs.

I grew up in the 'burbs but in dodgier areas than where we live now. DH moved all around the country (army kid) but almost always in suburban areas.

#25 FiveAus

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:41 PM

I raised my kids in the same town I lived in most of my life....a large country town 2 hours from the city. It was fine, but now I live 15 minutes from there, in a tiny rural village and I absolutely love it. Would have loved to raise kids out here, they'd have had a whole different upbringing. However, at least one of my kids would probably have hated it. She lives in the city now.

My husband was born and raised in San Francisco and says he loves inner city life. When he speaks like that I look at him in absolute horror. The only thing I can think of that would be worse is the suburbs.

He assures me that he's very happy where we are though.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Special offer: The Baby & Toddler Show 2014

At The Baby & Toddler Show, you?ll find everything you need to get ready for your new arrival and guide you through the early weeks and years of parenting.

An open letter to Tony Abbott: please salvage our super

We face financial ruin, but most of us don?t realise it. If we don?t act together to salvage our superannuation, I have no doubt the new GFC will be the Girls? Financial Crisis.

'I'm happy to know I'm changing lives': surrogate mum of two

I know that once the baby is born, I will focus on the gift I have given, and watch the parents with their new child. I can't wait for that day.

Birth trauma and the issue of informed consent

There is a perception that women should just be happy they have a healthy baby in their arms. But for women who experienced birth trauma, there's a lot more to it.

Tips for managing pollen allergies and hayfever

They're simple tips, but they can have a big impact on those who suffer from hayfever and pollen allergies.

Ada Nicodemou shares tribute to her stillborn baby

Just over one month since Ada Nicodemou and her husband lost their second son, the Home and Away star has shared a touching poem for her baby.

Mum causes stir breastfeeding on train

?To the woman breastfeeding her kid on the train. Seriously! On the train?" began the letter of complaint.

10 things they don?t tell you about being pregnant

As I slowly waddle my ever-changing pregnant body towards the finishing line of my due date, it?s becoming increasingly clear there are a lot of things they just don?t tell you about pregnancy.

Overcoming a fear of the dark

A toddler's fear of the dark is very normal, but there are ways parents can help children through this stage in their development.

Kids, TV and movies: how young is too young?

It seems you don't have to throw the TV and iPad out the window - it all boils down to moderation, supervision and interaction.

Video: Baby's first birthday is a special day for mum, too

?A baby?s first birthday is also mum?s first birthday.?

The day Supernanny came to tea

Prince William's favourite celebrity child trainer Jo Frost puts Bryony Gordon and her toddler through their paces.

Tales from the homefront

When you're at work you sort of assume that your house is basically just sitting there quietly doing nothing until you return. However, since spending my days at home, I've learned this couldn't be further from the truth.

The words I hated hearing as new mum

It was less than a week after my son was born that I first heard it - from my mother.

To the pharmacist who sold me baby formula

On the rare occasion I catch sight of you at school, or around town, I think back to our earliest exchange. I?m sure you have no recollection of it at all.

Babies may benefit from autism therapy

Children showing signs of autism don't usually receive early intervention until well into toddlerhood or later, but a new study suggests infants with symptoms of the developmental disorder might benefit from therapy from as early as six months.

Knatalye and Adeline born with an everlasting bond

Knatalye Hope and Adeline Faith are a lot like any other identical twin girls, but there is one dramatic difference: they're joined at the chest and shares several internal organs.

The question this dad wishes he'd asked his wife

I should have seen that my wife wasn't the same person I'd fallen in love with, but we were both too focused on simply trying to get by.

Why we should talk about the deaths of the Hunt children

The deaths are too horrible even to think about. Yet we owe it to the children - Fletcher, Mia and Phoebe Hunt - to think long and hard about it all.

Baby dies of meningococcal weeks after vaccine application denied

A six-month-old girl has died from meningococcal disease just weeks after an application for government funding of a vaccine for the most deadly strain of the virus was rejected.

Finding the right balance when playing with your kids

Being too involved in our children?s play and not allowing our kids enough free time for unstructured activities can mean our kids miss out on the value that play offers.

Creative DIY light shades

The Pop Light light shade comes in a flat pack already made - it's up to you to design it as you'd like.

The battle of iParenting versus imagination

Have we forgotten how to be imaginative, resourceful parents?

Why movement is so important for your baby's growth

Letting your child move as much as possible in the early years ? using all senses, engaging in the real world, preferably outside ? will help them grow up healthier, smarter, calmer and stronger.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Special offer: The Baby & Toddler Show 2014

At The Baby & Toddler Show, you?ll find everything you need to get ready for your new arrival and guide you through the early weeks and years of parenting.

Losing yourself to motherhood

While watching your baby grow into a unique little person is exciting and wondrous, the intensity of meeting everyone else?s needs can ever so sneakily overtake your own needs for self-care.

Tearing during delivery: the facts

Almost all women will experience bruising, grazing or tearing after a vaginal birth. Depending on the degree of tearing, there are various treatments available.

6 tips for a day out with a baby and toddler

Outings can be lots of fun with the kids, but there are inevitable challenges. Here's some information about days out to help you be a little more prepared.

Why I invited a dozen people to watch my son's birth

I sent invitations on burgundy scrapbooking paper stamped with a field of poppies, and told each person why I wanted him or her there. I warned that there would be nudity.

Getting labour started: tips for a natural induction

When your baby?s due date comes and goes without so much as a pop - let alone a bang - it can be disheartening. Mums and a doula share their stories of natural inductions.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

That's my boy: a dad's diary of the first 4 months

Unbearable anxiety, unspeakable joy, constant exhaustion and bouts of frustration ... The many shocks of first-time fatherhood resound in a dad's diary of his son's early months.

One of the most important things a new mum can do

Finances may not be as cute as a newborn, but with many women?s working arrangements changing post-baby, monetary matters need attention too.

Baby survives five days alone

He lay with his mother for up to five days after she died of a suspected drug overdose - and survived.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Reader offer

2 FOR 1 TICKET OFFER

For Shopping, For Advice, For Baby & You. Enjoy a special day out with fabulous shopping from over 200 brands, leading parenting experts offering advice on a range of topics, and amazing children?s entertainment

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.