Could it be the pill?
Moodiness

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 SarahBelle48

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:27 AM

Just need some advice, I did post this in the Health forum but then decided to put it in here as well for more traffic.

I'm currently on the contraceptive pill Levlen ED which I changed to about 18 months ago or so (was on Marvelon for several years before that).

I've found that my moods have been really weird over the past 6 months or so and even my husband has commented on how moody I've been lately. I've always been an emotional person but lately I'm a lot more snappy and I get cranky at the smallest thing. I'm finding it really hard to deal with because I know its not fair on my husband and even my dogs when they cop the brunt of my snapping or moodiness.

Could my moods be caused by the different type of pill that I'm on now and could changing the pill help my moods?

TIA.

#2 Libster

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:32 AM

Yes I do think the pill could be affecting your moods. It seems that different types of pills affect people very differently. I was on a certain type of pill for a long time (can't remember the name) and I was a total b**ch and had really bad headaches. When I changed to Yasmin things were a lot better but I had no libido whatsoever  sad.gif
Perhaps go back to the doctor and ask them to prescribe you a different pill?

#3 virtuallotus

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:40 AM

Certainly can be. I was on Levlen and was more aggressive and cranky. As I understand it, it can have androgenic effects.

I've switched to Diane ED 35, and I'm much more chill. It's a shame it's under review now. sad.gif

#4 lozoodle

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:09 PM

Yes levlen really affected me. I didnt realise how bad it was until i stopped it. Never again!

#5 ~Nic~

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:14 PM

Yep, I was a mess when I went to Levlen (Yaz worked well for me in regard to moods), and the mirena was even worse. Might be time to chat to your doctor to see if another one could suit you better.

#6 Quack Quack

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:21 PM

Yes I agree, I took Yaz for a very short time and I turned into a homocidal maniac. It was very frightening for me to have such a personality change... went off it and I was soon back to normal.

#7 MrsMJ

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:22 PM

oh i have tried sooo many and Levlen was the WORST. I was soo moody and cranky on it, I remember being so crazy on it and knowing I was not myself but I just couldn't stop the moods!
Never again will I take that!
Marvelon has worked the best for me. Yasmine was too light and didnt work and Dianne made me pile on at least 8kgs..it took me a good 4 years and multiple types to find what worked best.
goodluck getting on something that makes you feel nothing but you!

#8 9ferals

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:24 PM

I've been on a number of different hormonal contraceptives over the years and have found that they always affect my mood and overall wellbeing.

It's usually when I've gone off them that I've suddenly felt so much better, my mood improves, I lost weight, and I just  feel "lighter" all over.

This includes Implanon, which I was surprised about as my understanding is that the level of hormones is lower than the oral pill.

Good luck in finding something that suits your body.

#9 Flaxen

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:34 PM

I was horribly moody on levlen, yaz and yasmin, but was the worst on implanon. You could have been forgiven for thinking I had Bi Polar Disorder!

Im now on trifeme and its been good so far (6mths) My Dr said its a good one for moods.

Edited by Flaxen, 14 February 2013 - 01:36 PM.

#10 CupcakeMumma

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:45 PM

Yes it does, I had to go off it completely as it was totally messing with me sad.gif

#11 SarahBelle48

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:52 PM

QUOTE (MrsMJ @ 14/02/2013, 02:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
oh i have tried sooo many and Levlen was the WORST. I was soo moody and cranky on it, I remember being so crazy on it and knowing I was not myself but I just couldn't stop the moods!
Never again will I take that!
Marvelon has worked the best for me. Yasmine was too light and didnt work and Dianne made me pile on at least 8kgs..it took me a good 4 years and multiple types to find what worked best.
goodluck getting on something that makes you feel nothing but you!

I was on marvelon for a few years prior to changing over to levlen but marvelon was just so expensive because its not on the PBS. I'll ring up tonight and make an appointment with my GP to discuss some other options.

Thank you very much for the advice, I've been feeling so bad about being so cranky at DH all the time.

#12 SarahBelle48

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:33 PM

Well, I finally got the chance to see the doctor tonight. Basically, she rubbished the idea that it could be the pill and said she'd never heard anything about Levlen being worse for moods. She said that most women get less moody on the pill. She did end up giving me a script for another one but I never realised how few contraceptive pill brands are PBS-subsidised. My doctor had to ring the pharmacist to find a pill that is on the PBS but not Levlen. In hindsight, I should've just asked for a private brand. She prescribed Norimin in the end.

I have been sent for blood tests to rule out any other possible reasons. So we'll just have to wait and see.

#13 B0612

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:41 PM

Another woman who has had side effects from Levlen. I ended up with terrible acne and emotional irritability and ended up going onto Dianne without any issues (also cleared up my skin too)

I think it's trial and error with finding a pill that works for you.

#14 Greatmum

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:53 PM

Levlen made me soooo sad and I would just cry over nothing.

#15 Excentrique Feral

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:57 PM

Levlen did that to me too. I'm on logynon now, much better.

#16 Libster

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:08 PM

QUOTE (SarahBelle48 @ 28/02/2013, 09:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, I finally got the chance to see the doctor tonight. Basically, she rubbished the idea that it could be the pill and said she'd never heard anything about Levlen being worse for moods. She said that most women get less moody on the pill. She did end up giving me a script for another one but I never realised how few contraceptive pill brands are PBS-subsidised. My doctor had to ring the pharmacist to find a pill that is on the PBS but not Levlen. In hindsight, I should've just asked for a private brand. She prescribed Norimin in the end.

I have been sent for blood tests to rule out any other possible reasons. So we'll just have to wait and see.

mad.gif well maybe you're not like "most" women! As you can see from this thread, there are plenty of ladies who have been affected negatively by the pill. It would be nice if there was a male contraceptive pill!

ETA that angry face was directed at your doctor, not you of course original.gif

Edited by Libster, 28 February 2013 - 09:08 PM.

#17 Cranky Kitten

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:18 PM

QUOTE (SarahBelle48 @ 28/02/2013, 06:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'd be looking for another doctor personally. The pill can absolutely affect your moods, and in quite significant ways. My first foray into using the pill (can't remember the brand, it was a while ago) resulted in my becoming so ridiculously aggressive that I got kicked out of a nightclub for decking some guy. Stopped taking it, back to normal within a few days.

#18 Floral Arrangement

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:57 AM

Yes from personal experience GP trialled me with a 2 month supply of the pill (I am sure it started with LE... was a long time ago). I was crying, depressed, foul moods the first month did not try the 2nd month trial. I have a mirena now and doubt I will ever "trial" the pill again, but I am 44 now.

I joked at the time that the 2nd month of that pill and my marriage would have ended maybe a sign of how bad it was for everyone.

Your gp is talking crap. I am not the only one in my group of family and friends that has suffered mood swings from the pill. That dissipate when they have come off of the pill.

Edited by FloralArrangement, 01 March 2013 - 11:59 AM.

#19 PurpleNess

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:05 PM

Yep!! I was put on Levelen after many years on Trifeme ( had a break for a few years), withing weeks I was nuts! I was sooo moody & flying off the handle at the silliest things, my then new boyfriend - now husband, seriously wondered who he'd hooked up with!!

Stop taking it & go back to ANOTHER GP. Get a different pill, I know lots of poeple who've had reactions to this pill.

Edited by PurpleNess, 01 March 2013 - 12:06 PM.

#20 FeralDancesHere

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:12 PM

I've trialed a few different pills and they all effect my mood badly. My sister is the same.

My doctor who I trust, said that Levlen is listed in some medications journal she refers to as being one of the better ones for mental health side effects, but no there is no gaurentee that it will not cause issues.

Last time I went on the pill, I found myself sobbing uncontrolably in a public toilet, contemplating going to the chemist to buy whatever meds I could to end it all. A week before I was fine. I also suffer general modiness and being a b**ch when I am on it. DH jokes he will leave if I ever go back on them.

It sucks, and if/when I manage to have #2 I am going to have my tubes tied so contreception becomes a non-issue. My sister who is sure she does not want any kids has an IUD. She also had issues with the in-arm contraceptive.

#21 F1widow

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:13 PM

Get a new GP, your current one sounds like she's been living under a rock for the last 30 years.

Like so many PP, Levlen made me insane moody; crying one minute, laughing the next, then mad, then trying to convince my DH to have sex with me. I'm on Yasmin at the moment and it's been pretty good. It actually made me feel like I was pregnant the first few weeks (in a good, kinda like the second trimester, kinda way).

#22 virtuallotus

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:30 PM

QUOTE (SarahBelle48 @ 28/02/2013, 08:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What a moron of a doctor. Depressive symptoms is on the list of possible side effects, in the information leaflet provided...I just checked.

Also, http://www.bayerresources.com.au/resources...et/file9541.pdf

Fail doktard is fail.

#23 vanessa71

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:14 PM

As soon as I read you thread title, I said to myself, 'if you're on Levlen it certainly could'.

I went on it very briefly before trying to get pregnant with DS, I had never been so moody in all my life. I remember once going right of at DD, who wasn't even two, and that was just not like me, I stopped after that. I have been on a few pills, but nothing made me as mad as Levlen did.

#24 FeralProudSwahili

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:03 PM

OP, your GP is an idiot. I advise you seek help from a different doctor, who knows what they are talking about.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Clever panda fakes pregnancy

News that a giant panda was pregnant prompted much excitement, but it appears there were never any cubs on the way.

'I survived placenta percreta'

When writing her birth plan, Simone Pavil included an item most women wouldn?t even think about: what should happen if she was put on life support. The mum had the potentially fatal condition placenta accreta.

Managing personal space as a mum

In the midst of the early parenting years, our bodies and minds can seemingly be overtaken by our offspring. How can we balance our need for personal space with the needs of our children?

'If love could have saved you, you'd have never left'

The words "spontaneous abortion" on the hospital paperwork really got to me. My baby died; I didn't spontaneously decide to abort him.

15 classic Aussie ads

Watch some of the classic Australian ads of the 80s, 90s and 00s, and remember the catchphrases and jingles we all used to know so well ...

For and against

Should Blue Ivy have been at the VMAs?

Many were quick to condemn Beyonce and Jay Z after appearing on stage at the MTV Video Music Awards with their two-year-old daughter, but others thought it was a sweet family moment. What do you think?

Toddler attacked at gym creche

Two-year-old girl Eva Ness was left with a black eye and bite marks on her face and body after an altercation with an older child at a health club's child-minding facilities. Now her parents are calling for the centre to be closed.

Pregnancy a tricky matter of timing for FIFO couples

Manipulating rosters, coordinating 'conjugal' visits, working on site with your partner; getting pregnant can prove stressful for FIFO workers.

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

Carseats have twice as many germs as a toilet

Most parents know their child's carseat is not always squeaky clean, but they might not realise just how dirty it really is.

Doctors remove foetus from 'medical marvel' after 36 years

Doctors in India have removed the skeleton of a foetus that had been inside a woman for 36 years.

Nine months in six seconds: new parents' Vine clip a hit

We?ve seen some memorable time-lapse pregnancy and birth announcement videos before. Now one new couple has taken it to the extreme, capturing it all in just a six-second Vine video.

Sonia Kruger speaks of baby joy

Celebrity mum-to-be Sonia Kruger has spoken candidly about using donor eggs and IVF to fall pregnant at age 48.

Dressing to not impress: life through the eyes of a three-year-old

When it comes to getting dressed, my three-year-old has only one criterion: ?I don?t want to look beautiful.? And now I've worked out why.

Special nappies made with love for angel babies

Angel Baby Nappies make and provide tiny bereavement cloth nappies for pre-term stillborn babies and premature babies who pass away in the NICU.

Inside the brain of a tantruming toddler

What's going on in your child's mind in the lead-up to a tantrum? And what?s the best way to respond?

5 secrets to a long-lasting relationship

When it comes to keeping your relationship strong, it?s what you do - and not what you want - that really matters.

When 'furbabies' meet real babies

I am obsessed with my dogs, and can't imagine loving them any less once my baby arrives. But that doesn't stop everyone from telling me I will.

The least popular baby names of 2013

Looking for a baby name that?s nowhere near the top 10 ? or even the top 1000? Try the bottom five.

'I was so sleep deprived I crashed my car'

There are no laws regulating driving while tired, but statistics show that driver fatigue is one of the top three contributors to the road toll.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Do you suffer from Precious Firstborn Syndrome?

Testing ?no more tears? shampoo in your own eyes, warming cucumber sticks so they're not cold straight from the fridge, waking a sleeping baby to check they?re still breathing: these are all symptoms of Precious Firstborn Syndrome.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

Mums hit hardest as flu cases skyrocket

The number of confirmed cases of influenza in Australia has doubled the number for the same time last year - and women are 25 per cent more likely to get it.

The mum who had four babies in nine months

Feeling exhausted due to the demands of caring for a baby? Imagine the life of this mum, who gave birth to three boys and one girl in just nine months.

Everything baby at Big W

Lowest prices on everything baby, only at Big W. Sale starts August 4 and ends August 20 2014.

Going viral

Outrage over baby's icy challenge

A man has been reported to child protective services after taking the ALS ice bucket challenge with his 10-month-old granddaughter.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.