Expressing
do u find it leaves u no time?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 nott

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:17 AM

hi,

not sure if i should post here.

i did most feeding with expressed milk. recently found that was draining cos of nappy issue.

i used manual pump to express, around 30 mins, sometimes longer if i want to get more milk.

things repeat after ~ 4 hrs.

most of the time, i feed my baby with the EMB cos breastfeeding doesn't work for me v well.

After express, feeding, changing cloth nappies, washing, i found i barely have time n energy left ( morning better, i still can prepare for the dinner n cook it in advance).

sometimes i wondered, i would have a better day , n sleep if i chose formula n disposable.

is that life normal? well, baby is 4 mths already.

please share.

#2 witchesforest

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:24 AM

great work! 4 months of total EBM is a huge achievement.

i express a bit (for a babysitter so i can take my older child to swimming lessons, and do some freelance work) and i find it tiring whenever i do it. doing it all the time must be very tiring.

my friend also had trouble breastfeeding. she expressed 100% like you and also felt very tired. she said it did improve from 6 months as her son started taking some solids too. she managed to keep expressing at least some milk till around 10 months and then switched to a mix of formula and baby food.

#3 lucky 2

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:38 AM

Being a fan of breast milk I'd give up the nappies in an instant if it gave me the energy to pump!
Research has shown that expressing with a double electric pump does maximise milk volumes and of course is quicker.
Perhaps a 15 min procedure vs a 20-30 min procedure for a single pump.
At 4 months with expressing 6 times a day for 30 mons, I can see how that would be tedious for sure.
I'd find it tedious, I expressed for 15 months less times a day and with disposable nappies and it was a challenge at times.
What made it easier for me was the double pump.
You have lots of options-
- keeping going as is (but if that was desirable you wouldn't have posted!)
- keep pumping 6 times per 24 and get disposables
- get a new pump (quicker and more efficient)
- combination pump, ie reduce expression sessions to a manageable level and combine with formula (ie ? 4 expressions or more or less, can vary according to how you are feeling)
- suppress milk production/wean, always at the bottom of my list original.gif but an option nevertheless
If you cant afford a new pump (probably $300-600) then ? drop the amount of expressions and combination pump.
When you pump, do you stop when the flow slows on the first breast then switch sides x 4, ie express each breast twice? This is the most effective way to express but if you are  in a hurry you can "power pump" and express just 2 sides, ie quicker even if less milk.
Try and make expressing work for you rather than control you iykwim?
I think you have done an awesome job providing all this breast milk for you baby for 4 months.
Another possibility is seeing a LC again to see if baby will take the breast directly, you never know, I've seen babies be bottle fed with ebm for 6 months and then suddenly accept the breast and go on to feed for years! They're a fickle lot.
All the best.
Some things that may be of interest-
http://www.exclusivelypumping.com/
http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/pumping...nks-excpumping/
There is a thread in this forum for exclusive expressors, it hasn't been active for a few months but I've bumped it to the front page.
http://www.essentialbaby.com.au/forums/ind...sive+expressing
All the best.

#4 nott

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:59 AM

QUOTE (evalynnI @ 14/02/2013, 10:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Congratulations on making it to 4 months!!

I had trouble BF with DS so started to express when he was 1wk old, and was getting tons of milk to start with which was great as I could then freeze it for later on. But I did find it very tiring, and like you say, takes a lot of time - in effect it is twice as long to feed when you express and then bottle-feed.

nott: yes, time doubled! now when i express, i try to multitask, eat while pumping, online a bit ( but that easily distract my pumping sad.gif ) . sometimes when im in front of pc, i'll pump for an hr.

I just couldn't keep up with it and I think due to tiredness I started having supply-issues, stress from also having a toddler to look after, by the time DS was 4 weeks old he was on formula.

nott: i also

I think you have done a GREAT job expressing for 4 months! In the end you need to do whatever keeps you sane, and if you do decide to supplement with formula, please don't beat yourself up about it - it doesn't make you any less of a great mum! And you can have the satisfaction of knowing that you did everything you could to provide your baby with the best start. Good luck  original.gif

#5 Betty_D

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:02 AM

OP, might be worth looking into hiring an electric breast pump. Most pharmacies have them and you can get them for about $80 a month.

I found using my manual breast pump like getting blood from a stone. Once you go electric, you never go back!

#6 meema

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:02 AM

Hello

You are doing really well to have expressed for this long.

My experience is 2+ years ago now but I thought I'd offer some support.  It does feel like exclusively expressing takes over, but it can be managed.  

I exclusively expressed for baby #4 (with three others under 5 to care for too!).  I actually can't remember how I managed to do this- but I am still happy that she got (almost)12mths of breastmilk.  It definitely got easier after 6mths when DD had solids.

An electric pump will be a timesaver, and a double pump is even better.  It was time consuming and I did feel restricted.  Some days I wanted to smash that pump!  And yet I was grateful for it too- it meant DD could get her breastmilk.

I would choose pumping to offer breastmilk rather than cloth nappies- but it really is up to you.

EE is harder than breastfeeding & it is more work than formula feeding. BUT exclusively expressing can become a part of your routine and you can try suggestions to make it fit better into your life with your baby.  I found it hard emotionally as I grieved the loss of a breastfeeding relationship.  My DD was fine but I was truly sad to lose breastfeeding my final child.

I can say that years later I am grateful to myself that I gave my DD her breastmilk.   It was hard work but I am glad I did it.  However, I was also very relieved when I finally decided to stop EE- it opened up my life again & it was a great feeling NOT to be tied to that bloody pump.

Best of luck- don't make any rash decisions, give yourself a timeframe for a decision rather than an immediate one.  Sometimes I had to just keep going one pump at a time.  

And try not to allow guilt in regarding your choices (I am offering advice here that I struggled to follow myself rolleyes.gif ).  Supplementing with formula or choosing to end expressing & formula feeding fulltime may be an option you want.  It is great to have options.

AND- well done on offering four months of breastmilk to your baby- what a fantastic start your baby has due to your efforts!

#7 nott

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:09 AM

tks for all the support! biggrin.gif i did read the first few replies but haven't checked the rest till now.
yes, expressing now becomes a part of my life. love it? not of course. but now adapted/ try to dapt my life.
instead sitting for half an hr, doing one thng. now i usually pump while i eat , to save time. sometimes online/ read while pumping. i now understand how those one handed feel.

i have formula as a back up, n have used that for different days during the months. honestly, i will have some guilty feeling when that is done, though i know from bks, mags that they are not poison to babies. that's the brain thing i need to adjust , particularly when i read those mums who can feed a baby without a single scoop of formula.

recently i tried to offer bf, but found my baby will pull my nipple as if it was the teat! ( now he like biting, pulling his teat !)  feeling painful, n he doesn't suck actually i just sill keep on expressing.
one gd thing about that is he drinks that much quicker than directly on breast. the bd thing, of course is i need to clean the pump n bottles!

one thing i found expressing bad is it limited my social life/ going out venue. b4, we went to dine in some small chi restaurants when  i need to pump. i could just stand in the narrow loo for 15-20 mins. u can imagine how nasty the feeling is.

now, i mostly go to those restaurants, shopping centres at least with a clean toilet . n i need to estimate when is my next pump to arrange my schedule with that clean toilet, clean parent room nearby.

i know i will have a better life later. just need for the transition n i will pump at a longer interval.

really thankful that i know that forum, the mums here have helped me answer a lot of qs quickly n most importantly, the mental support n the empathy they got. the man doesn't comprehend my feeling v much.

being encourged and assured of that i did is gd, i 've motivation n energy to move forward. original.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to tell if your child has a speech or language problem

Left untreated, children who start school with speech and language difficulties face an increased risk of reading and writing difficulties, more bullying, poorer peer relationships and less enjoyment of school. So, what should parents expect of children at different ages?

Finding your tribe as a new mum

How was my renegade mother's group different from my first? They were my kind of people. My tribe.

Following your child's emotional roadmap

Psychologist Angharad Candlin will guide parents through their child's emotional development during her seminar at the Essential Baby and Toddler Show in Sydney this weekend.

Delivery room surprises: when gender predictions are wrong

Out of all the questions asked of mums-to-be, “Do you know what you're having?” would be right up there in popularity. Sometimes,

The fertility battle we don't talk about

“You’re nowhere near menopausal,” my doctor cheerily informed me, and my heart sank. I don’t want to live with worry about pregnancy anymore.

'My morning sickness was so bad I'm not having any more kids'

“All the horrible stuff was totally worth it to have my son. But there is absolutely no way I could go through it all again.”

The 'no children' wedding invite

It was the wedding of one of my oldest and dearest friends, and she had invited me to be her bridesmaid. It was quite an honour. But there was one problem.

Baby Dylan recovering well after spending five days alone

For up to five days he lay alone after his mother died of a suspected drug overdose, but eight-month-old Dylan Micallef has made an incredible recovery.

Win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher

Fill out this quick survey and tell us in 25 words or less your best pregnancy or parenting tip - you'll go in the draw to win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher.

The mystery of William Tyrell, little boy lost

The question remains: How does a little boy simply vanish without a trace?

Woman fights off robber, then gives birth

A thief in the US got more than he bargained for when he try to rob a woman who was nine months pregnant because he figured she would be an easy target.

Video: Two-year-old tells mum off for laughing at her

This little girl is not happy that her mum started laughing during her performance - so she tells her exactly how she feels about it.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Losing yourself to motherhood

While watching your baby grow into a unique little person is exciting and wondrous, the intensity of meeting everyone else?s needs can ever so sneakily overtake your own needs for self-care.

Tearing during delivery: the facts

Almost all women will experience bruising, grazing or tearing after a vaginal birth. Depending on the degree of tearing, there are various treatments available.

6 tips for a day out with a baby and toddler

Outings can be lots of fun with the kids, but there are inevitable challenges. Here's some information about days out to help you be a little more prepared.

Why I invited a dozen people to watch my son's birth

I sent invitations on burgundy scrapbooking paper stamped with a field of poppies, and told each person why I wanted him or her there. I warned that there would be nudity.

Getting labour started: tips for a natural induction

When your baby?s due date comes and goes without so much as a pop - let alone a bang - it can be disheartening. Mums and a doula share their stories of natural inductions.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

That's my boy: a dad's diary of the first 4 months

Unbearable anxiety, unspeakable joy, constant exhaustion and bouts of frustration ... The many shocks of first-time fatherhood resound in a dad's diary of his son's early months.

One of the most important things a new mum can do

Finances may not be as cute as a newborn, but with many women?s working arrangements changing post-baby, monetary matters need attention too.

Does this baby say 'I love you'?

She's only 10 weeks old, but this baby is already dividing people around the world.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

My Wellbeing

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.