Thank you gift ideas
For Obstetrician and midwife...

28 replies to this topic

#1 eleven

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:24 AM

Hi all,

I would like to give a thank you gift to my Obs and midwife when I go for my 6 week check up. I was a very nervous FTM throughout my pregnancy and both my Obs and MW were so fabulous and reassuring. I'm just stuck for ideas... Did you give your team a gift? What was it?

Thanks

#2 eleven

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:20 PM

No ideas at all?

#3 elle-M

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:27 PM

I just gave mine a card and a big bunch of flowers (for my OB and his midwife), and I'll do the same again but maybe add some chocolates or something because it will probably be my last baby.

#4 lovingmother

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:35 PM

Most give a card with the babies foot print and a photo.

#5 niggles

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:40 PM

A jar of lollies that can be placed in the staff area and shared.

#6 Feral Grey Mare

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:45 PM

I thought paying the bill was thanks enough.

#7 eleven

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:47 PM

DH agrees that paying the bill is thanks enough but I really would like to do something more...

#8 elmo_mum

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:17 PM

chocolates never go astray!!!

or lollies!!!

or just a nice bunch of flowers, and a card with bubs footprints/photo!

#9 ~Nic~

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:20 PM

I always liked the baby name book that it was in the waiting room at my ob's office, and one of the receptionists told me once that it was a gift from a mum after she had her bub... more for the office than the doctor though I suppose...

Maybe a nice glass jar with some lollies in it so the jar can be re-used??

Edited by ~Nic~, 14 February 2013 - 04:21 PM.

#10 feralstreak

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:22 PM

I sent an email thanking all the staff and attached some nice photos of my DS, but a card and chocolates sound like a lovely idea. Hmm, might give a card if there is a next time!

#11 More than a Mother

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:35 PM

I treated him to several rounds of golf and probably a contribution to his car/house/annual holiday.  wink.gif

#12 Blossom73

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:15 AM

I baked cookies for the midwives (went through a BC) and brought them in with a card and a photo.

#13 Lokum

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:36 PM

card to the midwives (thanking them all, and naming particular ones who were especially kind/helpful), and card to the OB with photo of DS.

Paid the OB a huge fee, so she doesn't need a gift, although I have seen bottles of wine in her rooms from happy parents.

I also sent a card with photo to my FS each time.

#14 Lokum

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:45 PM

QUOTE (ssorrrento @ 14/02/2013, 05:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I treated him to several rounds of golf and probably a contribution to his car/house/annual holiday.  wink.gif

See my other thread on Medicare/Medibank and my huge OOP expenses.

Perhaps I am also sad because the anaesthetist was talking about her children's schools and all the speech nights etc she had to attend. (3 kids at Melbourne's most expensive schools - I guess someone has to pay for it!!)

#15 Gumbette

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:53 PM

I gave my OB a bottle of Verve after each birth, and the midwife got a bottle of french perfume.  I loved my support staff.  My  anaesthetist only charged $800 for an after hours call out in a private hospital so I was pretty pleased with him too, but as I didn't really have much of a relationship with him, I didn't feel the need to buy a gift, though I was just as grateful for his help.

#16 drmiaow

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:04 PM

I understand where you are coming from OP, I too felt very grateful for the care I received and wanted to acknowledge that (beyond simply paying their professional fees).

I wrote a card (with my beautiful boys photo on it of course) and gave him a good bottle of red. The midwives I gave chocolates and a fruit box, along with a card.

Everyone seemed appreciative and I really enjoyed giving something to these people who in my opinion had all been rather wonderful.

biggrin.gif

#17 Boombox

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:14 PM

I gave my the care givers at my first birth a nice bottle of wine each and a card.

Subsequent births have been a card and goodie pack to the ward (basket with chocs, biscuits etc etc).

As a midwife I've had very lovely gifts, but a card is really meaningful, and I keep them all. (for the record-footprints inked on cards can have a slightly different meaning for midwives, not all that happy- a little photo suck in the card is much nicer  original.gif ).

Edited by thecleanowl, 15 February 2013 - 01:14 PM.

#18 07gbam

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:33 PM

Having worked with quite a few of them, and having met their families, who put up with unsociable hours , stressful working life and disruption to their families' lives, a few suggestions come to mind:

flowers to bring home
baskets of fruit to bring home/share with staff
cupcakes to share
movie tickets ( to share with long suffering wife who stays home alone with kids all too often)
like someone else suggested, lollies for waiting room
books- but many of them never have time to read.
biscuits
tie

although you have paid them a hefty fee, most of them make personal sacrifices to do their jobs-christmas day, children's birthdays, family occasions, new years eve etc etc can be disrupted, and their families bear the brunt. no amount of money, or posh schooling can make up for mummy or daddy being absent while attending to the needs of someone else, and this can be hard to explain to small children who just want daddy or mummy to be there. after years of training and study, and day to day risk taking, and the ever present threat of the rabid lawyer waiting to collect a share of the payout when things go wrong, maybe people are entitled to a significant income. It's easy to envy this when you sit at home every night, every weekend, every christmas after doing your 3 year bachelor degree and never assuming the risk of caring for two human beings every day of your working life.
It doesn't have to say much to say a special thanks to midwives, teachers, doctors, nurses, and anyone who has a special vocation in their job, even when they are paid to do that job.
Nice to see some people still recognise that others go out of their way to consider the wellbeing of others.

#19 Goggie

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:45 PM

I'm not sure I can follow the rant of the previous pp...kind of OT.

I went through a team midwife program so bought a card with his photo and a box of chocolates for the team to share. For my one midwife who was with me the whole labour I bought her a massage. She deserved it:)

#20 sarkazm76

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:14 PM

For our midiwfe we ordered from Edible Blooms.
This one I think:
http://www.edibleblooms.com.au/p/cheeky-monkey-gift/615

Sock Monkey with a bucket of chocs original.gif  We saved a little cash by picking it up and dropping it to the hospital but she wasn't working that day so had to leave it for her but she facebooked me to say thanks original.gif
The staff who were there when we dropped it off thought it was fantastic, lol.

#21 Lokum

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:44 PM

QUOTE (07gbam @ 15/02/2013, 08:33 PM)
15332509[/url]']
Having worked with quite a few of them, and having met their families, who put up with unsociable hours , stressful working life and disruption to their families' lives, a few suggestions come to mind:

flowers to bring home
cupcakes to share
movie tickets ( to share with long suffering wife who stays home alone with kids all too often)
biscuits
tie

although you have paid them a hefty fee, most of them make personal sacrifices to do their jobs-christmas day, children's birthdays, family occasions, new years eve etc etc can be disrupted, and their families bear the brunt. no amount of money, or posh schooling can make up for mummy or daddy being absent while attending to the needs of someone else, and this can be hard to explain to small children who just want daddy or mummy to be there. after years of training and study, and day to day risk taking, and the ever present threat of the rabid lawyer waiting to collect a share of the payout when things go wrong, maybe people are entitled to a significant income. It's easy to envy this when you sit at home every night, every weekend, every christmas after doing your 3 year bachelor degree and never assuming the risk of caring for two human beings every day of your working life.
It doesn't have to say much to say a special thanks to midwives, teachers, doctors, nurses, and anyone who has a special vocation in their job, even when they are paid to do that job.
Nice to see some people still recognise that others go out of their way to consider the wellbeing of others.

LOL. I did send my FS, OB and the midwives a card with photo, and personalized and detailed message. Just didn't feel the need to add a gift, when the FS and OB in particular are many, many times richer than my family.

Funny, but when my work kept me away from my family, put me at considerable physical risk, took a toll on my marriage etc, no-one ever thanked me.

But then, it wasn't an emotional, romantic job like delivering babies. An essential public service, which attracted public service wages, utilized my 6 years of tertiary study, saw me work 2 Christmas Days in a row, 5 Australia Days in a row (which also happens to be my birthday), and one year, I worked every single frickn public holiday for 6 months.

Some people get to stack shelves, collect garbage, clean toilets, be police officers, prison wardens and child protection officers - and they have to make do with sh*tty wages. Your vent is misplaced.

Edited by Lokum, 15 February 2013 - 10:45 PM.

#22 porkchop's mama

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:16 PM

I gave my obs a bottle of Mo√ęt and the MW and secretary some Jo Malone shower gel. We took bub along to 6 week appt to say hello.

#23 Agnodice the Feral

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:55 PM

QUOTE (07gbam @ 15/02/2013, 08:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

flowers to bring home
cupcakes to share
biscuits
tie

Meh.

As a doctor who works similarly long hours to my obstetric colleagues I find your post odd. I don't expect thanks from my patients. It's my job. I don't 'go out of my way' for them - providing holistic, sensitive, available care to them is also my job. Nor do I expect gifts or thanks for it. I get paid for what I do. I get paid less in public, but the demands on me are less in public. I can choose to work in private, and the personal cost to me of working in private is met by substantially more financial recompense.

I think all your comments are misplaced. Highly paid professionals don't need thanks as well. The lesser paid nurses, theatre techs, kitchen and cleaning staff, and all the other people who suck up low pay and low status to do he jobs that make our worlds continue to run deserve thanks far more than a rich doctor.

#24 melski1

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:09 PM

I bought my OB a small desk globe (from Myer I think). Cheesy, but because he helped to 'give me the world' and I know he likes to travel. I bought his staff a bucket of cookie man cookies.

#25 Tokotoko

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:46 PM

I am also a doctor (GP) and agree with previous poster that we absolutely definitely don't expect gifts for just doing our normal job. In fact it makes me feel really awkward when patients spend money on such things for me, when I feel that I get remunerated well enough. So if you have to give anything, make it something that hasn't cost you money - eg I've had some nice cookies baked by a patient.

In the end, it's the sentiment that matters most. A card with some nice words and a photo is a MILLION times more meaningful and no gift is ever going to be as good or as meaningful as that. I always keep cards, whereas flowers, chocolates etc are gone in a few days and mean nothing.

Hope that helps wink.gif

Reply to this topic

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sonia Kruger speaks of baby joy

Celebrity mum-to-be Sonia Kruger has spoken candidly about using donor eggs and IVF to fall pregnant at age 48.

Dressing to not impress: life through the eyes of a three-year-old

When it comes to getting dressed, my three-year-old has only one criterion: ?I don?t want to look beautiful.? And now I've worked out why.

Special nappies made with love for angel babies

Angel Baby Nappies make and provide tiny bereavement cloth nappies for pre-term stillborn babies and premature babies who pass away in the NICU.

Inside the brain of a tantruming toddler

What's going on in your child's mind in the lead-up to a tantrum? And what?s the best way to respond?

5 secrets to a long-lasting relationship

When it comes to keeping your relationship strong, it?s what you do - and not what you want - that really matters.

When 'furbabies' meet real babies

I am obsessed with my dogs, and can't imagine loving them any less once my baby arrives. But that doesn't stop everyone from telling me I will.

The least popular baby names of 2013

Looking for a baby name that?s nowhere near the top 10 ? or even the top 1000? Try the bottom five.

'I was so sleep deprived I crashed my car'

There are no laws regulating driving while tired, but statistics show that driver fatigue is one of the top three contributors to the road toll.

Why are there so few sexy maternity bras?

Rather than feeling ashamed of their post-baby bodies, women should be free to buy lingerie that makes them look attractive and pretty - no matter what stage of life they're in.

Toddler Alliyah one step closer to first trip home

She has lived the first 14 months of her life in a hospital intensive care unit, but Alliyah Broadby's parents hope to finally take their little girl home with them.

'Put people before IVF profits': IVF pioneer Alan Trounson

IVF could be done for hundreds of dollars in Australia instead of $8500 if clinics stopped charging what ''the market will handle'', a pioneer of the technology says.

Expectant parents urged to swap the pub for bub

Nearly one in five women drink while pregnant, but a current campaign is trying to drive down that unhealthy statistic.

Nutella supplies threatened by bad weather

There's bad news for fans of Nutella, the gooey, chocolatey hazelnut spread.

The cost of growing your own vegies

Does it make financial sense to grow your own veggies, or are you better off ordering produce from the local food co-op?

Breastfeeding mums less likely to suffer from PND, but all need support

A new study has shown the a complex relationship between a mother?s intention to breastfeed, her ability to do so, and postnatal depression.

The #loveyourlines Instagram account taking on body issues

A new Instagram account, LoveYourLines, has put the call out for to change the way we view stretch marks.

Mum gets diploma 51 years after being thrown out of school over pregnancy

Sandra Lantz was about six months pregnant and four months from graduation when she was forced to leave high school. Now, more than half a century later, she has finally graduated.

The lowdown on male midwives

How would you feel about having a male midwife assist your baby's birth? For a growing number of mums, the idea is a reality - and the experts all agree that it's something that should be encouraged.

Bomb threat at daycare centre

Worried parents took to social media yesterday after their children's daycare was evacuated due to a bomb threat.

Unusual celebrity baby names

Celebrities love to use their imaginations when it comes to naming their kids! Here's a gallery of some of the most memorable monikers in show biz families.

5 fears I've overcome since becoming a mum

Motherhood has a way of putting any phobias you had pre-parenthood into perspective: you either realise they?re a pointless waste of energy or they simply vanish in a sleep-deprived haze.

Mums review the Dymples range from Big W

The Big W Dymples range offers parents a vast selection of quality products to keep their little ones happy and healthy. We asked the Real Mums Test Drive team to review some items - here's what they said.

Recall: Another cot deemed unsafe

Parents are being warned to check their baby's cot is not one of those which have been recalled in recent weeks due to safety concerns.

The truth about breastfeeding and weightloss

Celebrities often state that their post-baby weight loss is down to breastfeeding, and breastfeeding alone. But that's not the reality for all women.

10 weird things little kids do

Most kids have their own personal brand of oddity. It's usually nothing to worry about, but every now and again you might find yourself scratching your head and asking, ?Really? Is that really a thing??

The app that helps detect signs of autism

Parents can assess their children's progress at critical developmental stages, thanks to this new app.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Do you suffer from Precious Firstborn Syndrome?

Testing ?no more tears? shampoo in your own eyes, warming cucumber sticks so they're not cold straight from the fridge, waking a sleeping baby to check they?re still breathing: these are all symptoms of Precious Firstborn Syndrome.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

Mums hit hardest as flu cases skyrocket

The number of confirmed cases of influenza in Australia has doubled the number for the same time last year - and women are 25 per cent more likely to get it.

The mum who had four babies in nine months

Feeling exhausted due to the demands of caring for a baby? Imagine the life of this mum, who gave birth to three boys and one girl in just nine months.

Everything baby at Big W

Lowest prices on everything baby, only at Big W. Sale starts August 4 and ends August 20 2014.

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

Mum gives birth at school

She went to a doctor complaining of stomach pains, then had an unexpected operation to remove a decades-old fetus.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.