how important is a routine for a baby?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 katiebear26

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:52 PM

DD is 6 months old and usually has 3 short sleeps per day but never wakes at the same time each day and the naps are all over the place. She often gets sleepy and closes her eyes for a few minutes then is wide awake for another play session.

while i would love to have one, she hasn't settled into a routine and i've found it very hard to get her into one (still working on it though, at least a rough routine, not timed to the minute).

i'm wondering whether babies really need a routine? i figure that when she starts daycare there will be a routine more or less required of her and i'd like to see what i can achieve first.

i'd love to hear from people who have bubs about 8+ months old who have routines and who don't, and whether you think it's worked well or wasn't necessary? thanks original.gif

#2 mandala

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:58 PM

It depends on the baby. DS needed a structure in his day - so feed, play, sleep, bath before bed, walk around the block in the afternoon. However, it wasn't particularly rigid with times until he had dropped his third nap at 6 months.

I found the 3-2 transition meant I had no idea when DS might be napping or not, and my days were all over the place. It settled down when he went to two naps, and I could easily predict what he wanted to do and when.

DS went to two naps quite early, at 6 months, but some babies still need three at 9 months+.

#3 amabanana

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:59 PM

I'm not a routine person but I realllllly tried to have one with DD1 because she was a shocking sleeper.  It was a bad idea but I didn't know that at the time.  I think routine is important but so is being flexible and going with the flow.  Stress isn't great whether that stress comes from trying to stick with a routine or by not having one.
Well, that was helpful.... NOT!  lol

#4 Feral-as-Meggs

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:00 PM

I'm sure my son could have coped without a routine, but I couldn't, and my happiness is essential to his at this point in his life.

I find that a routine lets me get stuff done and also make appointments and plans to catch up with friends (which keeps me sane) and its easier for people to help me out with babysitting because I can tell them where he's up to and what he's likely to need.   It's only rough, everything can move 30 mins or so each way.

#5 axiomae

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:09 PM

My DD is a changed baby. After implementing a routine she has gone from being an irritable, overtired child to a well-rested, happy baby that is such a joy to be around. She needs predictability, she needs structure. She's the kind of baby that won't settle anywhere but the cot and once I realised that I stopped trying to get her to fall asleep in other places (pram, car etc) and just accepted that for the short term we'd be sticking to a feed, play, sleep routine close to home. SO worth it!

#6 Kay1

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:10 PM

I need routine because I have other kids with school etc to accommodate. My 6 month old has a flexible routine of two - three naps (depending on how long his sleeps are). I have put a lot of work into getting him to self settle and he now sleeps pretty well during the day. I do tend to rush home at 9.30am for his sleep and again for his afternoon sleep, or ensure that I am somewhere where he can sleep in the pram etc. I aim for a similar bedtime each day, depending on when his last nap was.

I do believe that there are certain times of day that babies are more likely to be sleepy (at this age 9 and 1) and so I aim for sleep at those times. At about 8 months I think its more like 10 and 2) which is going to be a problem for me having to pick up kids at 3pm each day. sad.gif

#7 Phoenix Blue

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:13 PM

Routine doesn't have to be by the clock, as in 9:30 is sleep time. But can be more by awake time.

DD has what I consider a routine. It became more structured around 6-7 months to help with her night sleep.

At about 6-7 months she would be awake for around 1:45-2hours tops. So if she woke of a morning at 7am,then first sleep was by 8:45-9am. 2nd sleep she was usually down between 12-1pm. And 3rd sleep going down anytime between 4-5:30pm. I found that she slept much better at night if she had the 3rd sleep. Bedtime was around 7:30-8pm. She's only just starting to drop it now at 9 months. She's also happy to be awake 2:30-3hours now.

Personally I think babies thrive better with some sort of routine, and I know I need a routine too.

HTH

#8 mum2jp

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:14 PM

Hi, I never had a routine in the sense that I was watching the clock. I do think it's important to have some kind of flow to the day though. We always did things in the same order each day but based on when DS was hungry or looking tired. DS is 2 now and has settled into a flexible sort of routine but we still don't have set times for things. At 6 months we would have a flow that went feed, play, feed (as he always fed to sleep) then seep again.

#9 minidiamond

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:15 PM

I have just started DS on a routine, of sorts.  He's like your DD, catnaps during the day and has a little sleep while BF-ing and he's all set to go.  Sometimes I resent going in the car or taking him for a walk in the pram because he'll get a little shut eye and ruin any hope of a decent nap.

However, the routine definitely is helping, a friend suggested it from a mothercraft nurse she hired, and it doesn't always 'translate' (ie there's an assumption of a 2 hour nap in morning and arvo which doesn't happen for us).  But I stick to the feed times and the times to put him down.  It's going ok.  His night sleeps have improved alot, although we just started solids about 4 weeks ago so that may've contributed.

#10 katiebear26

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:02 PM

QUOTE (meggs1 @ 13/02/2013, 09:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm sure my son could have coped without a routine, but I couldn't, and my happiness is essential to his at this point in his life.

I find that a routine lets me get stuff done and also make appointments and plans to catch up with friends (which keeps me sane) and its easier for people to help me out with babysitting because I can tell them where he's up to and what he's likely to need.   It's only rough, everything can move 30 mins or so each way.

meggs 1 i am the same, this is why i am leaning towards a routine. i usually get out during the morning and am home by 1pm at the latest, so in a sense *i* have a routine...

QUOTE (minidiamond @ 13/02/2013, 09:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
His night sleeps have improved alot, although we just started solids about 4 weeks ago so that may've contributed.

minidiamond DD is the opposite! as soon as she started solids she started waking during the night for another feed, and sometimes twice now. i've just popped her down again after a bottle and she'll no doubt be up between 1-3am.

we used to have a bit of a routine in that whatever time she got up, she would need a nap 1 hour after getting up, then a couple of 2 hour blocks, then the last awake session was about 3 hours and she'd be asleep by 7pm. now it's crazy - waking anywhere from 4:30 - 6:30am, awake for between 1 hour and 3 hours that first time, then 2 hours, then the afternoon can drag on like today she went for 4 hours then 3 hours before her longer sleep tonight.

it's driving me a little crazy... we're working towards self settling (that's another thread in itself...) so maybe after that i can get her to be more predictable.

BTW how do you know a baby needs a structured day???

#11 Funwith3

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:06 PM

QUOTE (Phoenix Blue @ 13/02/2013, 09:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Routine doesn't have to be by the clock, as in 9:30 is sleep time. But can be more by awake time.

DD has what I consider a routine. It became more structured around 6-7 months to help with her night sleep.

At about 6-7 months she would be awake for around 1:45-2hours tops. So if she woke of a morning at 7am,then first sleep was by 8:45-9am. 2nd sleep she was usually down between 12-1pm. And 3rd sleep going down anytime between 4-5:30pm. I found that she slept much better at night if she had the 3rd sleep. Bedtime was around 7:30-8pm. She's only just starting to drop it now at 9 months. She's also happy to be awake 2:30-3hours now.

Personally I think babies thrive better with some sort of routine, and I know I need a routine too.

HTH

Thank you, you have really hit the nail on the head with regards to a routine for my 8 month old!! Your routine fits in perfectly with school runs and for some reason, I just could never figure it out. Somehow, having it in writing in front of me - what you've said makes perfect sense. MUST be down before 9.15am in order for her to be asleep again by about 1pm ish - which would then mean she has enough time for a second long sleep before school pick up.

I always got the 9am sleep ok, but by the time I got DD3 organised for her 2nd long sleep, there wasn't enough time left and I'd be waking her to pick up her sisters from school. Then I never even thought of doing an after school nap.

Thanks!!!!  biggrin.gif

#12 Feralina

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:16 PM

Like some others, we followed a loose routine, mostly based on how much awake time DS could handle. Our whole day pretty much depended on what time he woke up in the morning - I'd base his first nap time around that (up for up to 2 hours, then nap), which would then affect his second nap, etc. If I needed to do something at a particular time later in the day, I'd wake him up earlier/later in the morning so that i could work naps around the activities (he was never big on sleeping anywhere but the cot).

Oh, and we followed feed/play/sleep from when he was about 6 weeks old. I found that made a huge difference for me.

Edited by Zeppelina, 13 February 2013 - 09:17 PM.

#13 ubermum

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:22 PM

Depends on the family and the baby. I have an 8mo who's only routine is to go down for the night some time around 7pm. The rest of the time, it's just go with the flow around all of our activities and committments.

#14 premmie_29weeks

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:03 AM

I tried desperately with ds1 at that age to get him to sleep longer than 20 minutes. I found once he hit 2 day sleeps and we had sorted the night sleeping at about 8 months his day sleeps improved a lot? I suddenly had a pretty solid eating and sleeping routine and a baby that slept all night. My holy grail original.gif and I was so much happier for it, he was well rested, hitting milestones and we could plan around his sleeping times to be out and about. It improved further apfrom 14 months on 1 sleep as we could be out and about for longer and longer.

Ds2 was a better sleeper all round and I found I could try and get them sleeping together in the afternoon from quite young. Study still sleep together at 1pm every day which works well for me!

I think it depends on you and your baby. I. Wasn't a clock watcher, but I figured out a routine that worked well for everyone. I could never cope with all over the place...and neither could both my boys...some structure and predictability is important I feel, particularly when they become toddlers

#15 Futureself

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:16 AM

QUOTE (Phoenix Blue @ 13/02/2013, 08:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is us too. First awake block is only 1.5-2 hours as he gets tired but is 3 hours for the rest of the day. I've tried for shorter in line with recommendations of only having him up for 1.5-2hours but 3 hours awake time works for him. He wakes up anywhere from 5:30 - 7:00am so my day just has to keep shifting but I consider it a routine  shrug.gif

#16 mysonsmum

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:34 AM

I wouldn't bother with routine if ur baby doesn't seem to need it. The worst times I ever had with my son was when I stupidly listened to everybody telling me he needed a routine, if I didn't do it now I'd regret it later ect so I tried to put him in a routine & it was awful but as soon as I went back to going with the flow & following his leads he was happy as & I never had any problems

#17 mandala

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:35 AM

How do you know if you have a baby who needs structure? You try to put one in place, guided by their cues, and then you see if they're happier original.gif And then you try and change it and see if they are unhappy!

My DS is flexible to a point. He can miss a nap one day, or have a later night, or have a big morning tea and a late lunch. But by day two or three of that kind of thing, he's grumpy and overtired and clingy. Some babies are even more attached to their routine.

#18 Madnesscraves

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:44 AM

For my DD, she needed Routine. It was actually implemented at the hospital as she was a premmie. everyone kept telling me she didn't need it, it was silly etc. So I decided to not to do a routine and oh my god. she was horrible. So I put the routine back into place. She's far happier if she has a routine in place in terms of sleep. Not so much what she's doing during the day, but the routine more for her awake/sleep time.

What she does when shes awake varies. so it doesn't bother her. Just long as she gets her sleep after 4.5 hours of being awake in the morning is all she cares about.

It really makes it easier for me to book appointments knowing when she sleeps. I agree every now and then I do have to go out during her sleep time and she's not too bad, she's only rotten if it happens to many days in a row. once in a while though, doesn't have an issue.

#19 Blossom73

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:29 AM

My DS needs the routine and was much happier once we had one. We still have one today at nearly age 2.

This meant that I did have to be home for sleep times most days, but it made the rest of our time together much easier and happier.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Why Tracey Spicer has given up make-up

"After 30 years on television, I had become what I despised: a painted doll who spent an hour a day and close to $200 a week putting on a mask."

Empowering bikini photo of 46-year-old mum goes viral

When a group of teenagers made rude remarks about her body as she walked past them in a bikini at the local beach, Julie Cross refused to cover up.

Devastated widow discovers she's pregnant the day before husband's funeral

They had been trying to conceive a baby for seven years. Tragically Kristy Kirchner found out she was pregnant the day before her husband Royce's funeral.

Gabriella Goat sues Peppa Pig

Every toddler's favourite television pig is being sued by an Italian woman who shares a name with a Peppa Pig character.

Meet the Mpregs, the male pregnancy enthusiasts

"Men can't have babies - that's something only women can do! But our community is full of like-minded people who wish otherwise."

Your new motherhood survival kit

Forget about the bright, pretty baby things - while you're in survival mode, all you'll need are the essentials.

More than 100,000 cars recalled globally after death of pregnant woman

The announcement of a mass recall comes as Malaysian police investigate the death of pregnant woman in July.

Win a family pass to Disney Live!

We have 4 family passes to give away to see Disney Live! presents Three Classic Fairy Tales, touring Australia this December/January.

I had a 'good baby' but still suffered from postnatal depression

I had a much wanted precious baby girl, a 'good baby' who slept well, self settled and was mostly content. It just seemed implausible to think I could succumb to depression.

There's no need to eclipse a babymoon

As long as pregnant women do their research, travelling during pregnancy can be done safely.

Mum and daughter have babies on same day

"It's not really something you ever want or think could happen. To have my mum going through it with me is probably the most special, amazing thing ever.”

Our baby's reflux caused the longest endurance test of our lives

I'm glad she wasn't my first child, or I would have thought that this was normal.

Win one of 5 Little Tikes Cozy Coupe Sport

Australia?s No 1 selling car is now available in a Sports model and we have 5 to give away to some lucky Essential Baby families.

The podcast that reminds mums they are not alone

A mum's complicated, gruelling labour gave birth to two lovely beings: her daughter and her delightful podcast, The Longest Shortest Time.

Is it too late to change my midwife?

My wife is nine months pregnant and we are planning a home birth - but we've had late problems with our midwife team.

The Very Hungover Caterpillar: a parody many can relate to

A new book released this month will be sure to have parents nodding and giggling in recognition the world over.

Babywearers unite against misinformation

Everyone has heard of people power, but what about passionate babywearing power?

Reliving the birth experience

When people ask about how my labour went, I usually respond: "Good, I think? Four hours long, and yeah it hurt, but I dunno, it's labour, it's giving birth, it's painful... but I guess it was good? As good as good gets?"

Literary baby name inspiration

From Harry Potter to Shakespeare and everything in between, we've scoured the library shelves for literary baby name inspiration.

Preparing your child to attend a sibling's birth

Thinking about having your kids at the birth of your baby? Here are some things to consider.

Counselling helps mum deal with triplets' early birth

When Kimberlee King's waters broke nine weeks before her triplets were due, she went into autopilot as she packed her hospital bag.

The women balancing babies with new businesses

Motherhood teaches us that we can be more tolerant, patient, and loving than we ever thought possible - and can also show us that we're innovative, creative and entrepreneurial, too.

It's true, kids grow up overnight

A dad ponders how his toddler daughter can change so much in just one 24 hour period.

Father sings to dying son days after losing wife

A heartbreaking video shows a new dad singing 'Blackbird' to his dying son just days after losing his wife.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win one of 5 Little Tikes Cozy Coupe Sport

Australia?s No 1 selling car is now available in a Sports model and we have 5 to give away to some lucky Essential Baby families.

Join PADDINGTON on the red carpet!

To celebrate the release of PADDINGTON, we are giving five lucky winners the chance to win a family pass to the exclusive Australian Premiere in Sydney on December 7!

Knowing you are one of the lucky ones

I am secure, confident and strong, but the responsibility of protecting my children can almost bring me undone.

Why I am so emotional now I have kids?

There are so many ways in which parenthood changes us as women, but one of the most noticeable, for me, has been the changing state of my emotions.

Baby survives despite sharing womb with 'foreign body'

Baby Maia was conceived against the odds, only to find she was sharing a womb with an ominous "foreign body".

Video: Baby shows dog how to jump - or vice versa

They say dog is man's best friend, but this playful pooch seems to have chosen a jumping baby as her number one buddy.

10 ways to soothe a crying baby

New paernts can get frustrated when their newborn gets fussy and can't settle down. When you're feeling overwhelmed, try some of these simple tips to help soothe your baby.

20 baby names that are becoming more popular every year

The data-lovers at nameberry.com have been at it again – this time, they’ve discovered the names that are continually rising up the ranks, ready to take out some top spots in the next few years.

10 great meals to make for new parents

Ideally, you want to give food that isn’t expensive to make, isn't too difficult to create, and freezes well; stews, bakes, soups and pasta sauces are perfect.

'It's not you, it's me': Boston bombing survivor mum to have leg amputated

Rebekah DiMartino is going through a break-up. She even wrote a farewell love letter. But it's not to her husband.

What it's like to go through early menopause

In a cruel twist, Carla had been breastfeeding and perimenopausal at the same time. But she's far from the only one to go through menopause early.

Restaurant served alcohol to two-year-old

Busy restaurants can be forgiven for getting food and drink orders mixed up from time to time, but not when the confusion leads to a two-year-old being served an alcoholic cocktail instead of the child-friendly beverage they ordered.

Julia Morris tells of miscarriage on a flight

Julia Morris has spoken about the devastation of suffering a miscarriage while on an international flight.

Woman's survival after birth 'a story of two miracles'

A US mother is home and tending to her new baby less than a month after surviving without a pulse for 45 minutes.

Eating ice may give mental boost to the iron deficient: study

A new study proposes that, like a strong cup of coffee, ice may give those with insufficient iron a much-needed mental boost.

Tiny lives in caring hands: Thank U NICU Day

Each year in Australia, over 40,000 newborns need the help of a special care nursery or neonatal intensive care unit. One day a year, the staff are honoured by the parents they help through those dark days.

I paid $50,000 to have a girl

This time my husband and I hadn't taken any chances. We had paid $50,000 and travelled 13,000 kilometres to make sure the baby growing inside me was female.

Weird pregnancy products

Some pregnancy products come to market and are just awesome. Others just leave you scratching your head.

Dear firstborn, I'm sorry

Being a first-time mum is tough for so many reasons – particularly because you really have no idea what you're doing.

A trace of sesame could kill my son

Helen Richardson son's had two anaphylactic reactions in a month. It's traumatic for everyone.

When you know before the test says yes

It wasn't a pregnancy test or missed period that told me I was pregnant with my second baby; it was too early for those things. A doner kebab told me I was going to be a mum again.

What not to do when your partner is in labour

Robbie Williams stole the show during his wife Ayda's labour, pretty much demonstrating everything on the "what not to do when your partner is in labour" list.

Best maternity swimwear and beach cover-ups

Thinking about a tropical babymoon but have nothing to wear? Here are some great swimwear and beach cover-up options for mums-to-be.

Mark Latham, you have no idea

Parents who treat their depression are "cowardly", feminists are baby haters with a "psychoneurotic disorder". Really, Mark?

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.