What do you do during your hospital stay?

27 replies to this topic

#1 MissM86

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:39 PM

When I had DD I went private and had a 5 day hospital stay. I don't think I made the most of it- I got up and showered pretty much straight away every day and then sort of tried to do 'stuff'. I didn't rest much and ended up sick and exhausted when I got home and my stitches burst whilst in hospital - probably because I was moving around too much.

I am due to give birth again this year and plan to do things differently. I will go private again so I am wondering - what do you do during your hospital stay? Do you stay in your PJs all day, stay in bed, watch tv? I need lessons in relaxation! I felt like I had to get up, get showered and get dressed because of all the cleaners, food staff and nurses coming and going all day.

#2 JustBeige

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:55 PM

I showered, but put on tracky and soft tops.  I did private for my second and tbh, once they realised I knew what I was doing and didnt need help, I was lucky to see them once or twice a day, especially towards the end of the stay.

DH and I just hung out, took bubs for a bit of a walk around the ward, watched TV, ate and I read when he would go home.

Was very nice.

Oh they also had me tucked away into a back corner, so I think that helped with the peace and quiet too.

#3 Shellby

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:57 PM

With my second (my first was far from normal after birth hospital stay.) I still got up each morning and had a shower and got dressed after I had breakfast otherwise I felt yuck - but then I found in the first week after birth I had about 3 showers a day anyway.

Then I spent my day watching TV, sleeping and reading. I found with my second I only had 2 visitors over 5 days, so didn't have to entertain whereas my first I had about 15 visitors in the first 12 hours before finding out how sick my son was and we were transferred.

Only work I did was tend to Ben if he woke up and wanted a feed or needed a nappy change, otherwise he pretty much just slept, sometimes when he was awake I would lay him on my bed and just talk and stare at him and enjoy it. For the first 3 nights the nurses even took him for me so I could sleep - so I really relaxed.

Also the hospital offered a candle light dinner one night of your stay with your partner, had a fancy menu to choose from, they would take the baby if you wanted and yes you ate at a nice table done up and brought in with 2 candles. It also included a bunch of flowers and a card to go with the teddy they gave on the first day.

I treated it like a hotel stay really, didn't clean my room or make my bed, they did that. Just sat and ate and slept. It was bliss.

#4 Kay1

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:01 PM

I liked getting up and sorted in the morning. This took ages because of pain from c-section. Then the rest of the day would pretty much be a blur of feeds, crying baby, expressing, sterilising, feeding, expressing, sterilising, crying (me as well as him)....repeat. Last baby I did get to watch the Olympics while doing all this....and I saw it all, there was no sleeping LOL.

In all three stays there was a moment when I lost my shiz in the nursery and just broke down sobbing and begged them to have him for just one hour so I could sleep.

But I believe my experience is not the norm and that some newborns actually sleep a fair bit. Tounge1.gif

Edited by Kay1, 13 February 2013 - 08:04 PM.

#5 karkat

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:10 PM

DD1 was a c/s so spent a bit of time getting over pain, learning to breastfeed and all the new baby stuff.

DD2 was fantastic, was only in for about 36hrs but basically slept and feed DD the whole time. I did get up and dressed tho. Nursing staff mostly left me alone when they realised I had some idea of what I was doing and only came in if I buzzed them. Best day and a half ever.

DD3 I only spent just over 24hrs in. I'd been so looking forward to spending a couple of days in hospital relaxing and just worrying about new bub, however, the maternity unit hadn't had a baby in just over a week before DD3 was born (small rural hospital, had 3 babies in the day after I went home), so the nursing staff kept wanting to "do something" for me, when all I wanted to do was sleep and feed! So I went home the next day, disappointed not to have my 2 days of doing nothing!!

#6 Lokum

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:40 PM

DS1 - hand expressed, then pump expressed and tried to feed up my little 2.5kg boy. I was desperate to fatten him up, and he was slow and sleepy. I did snooze in the afternoons. Always had a shower and dressed in comfortable day clothes.

DS2 - BFing was easier. Showered every morning, comfy day clothes. When not looking after DS, I snoozed or watched TV. DH was with me a lot of the time so sometimes we chatted, and DS1 visited us every day for an hour or so. Still got home feeling sufficiently rested.

Each time, I've only sent them to the nursery for one 3-hour stint about 24 hours after the c/s, when I hit a wall and was afraid I'd drop them and needed the sleep. Felt guilty both times.

#7 bjk76

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:56 PM

I had a CS with DS, so couldn't move around too much at first. I showered and dressed in my comfy maternity clothes, then pretty much spent all my time focussing on breastfeeding - getting DS to have a go, expressing with a pump, expressing by hand with a nurse 'catching' drops of milk with a syringe (!). DH was with me all day and we'd sit and chat and he'd feed me my meals, as DS was on the breast pretty much every time my food came! I didn't have the TV on at all and was pretty exhausted from a very long pre-labour and active labour, so wasn't too hard to just chill out.

#8 premmie_29weeks

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:57 PM

With my first I thought it was going to be a nice time with visitors and having new baby. I went private on a very busy weekend in September where it seemed all of Sydney was having babies. We were overwhelmed with visitors in the first 48 hours and exhausted. Ds1 was a screamer so no sleep. I had no time for more than a quick shower mornin and night. Bf was a disaster because I was so tired and a horrid dose of third day blues. I was happy to go home frankly.

2nd time very different birth and we had ds1 at home. I got up and showered every morning, and focuses on bfing, and trying to relax as much a possible. He slept more so I was better rested on coming home. But I was lonely in hospital, the midwives still gave a plethora of conflicting advice, and I found being cooped up just as awful as the first time. I discharged myself after 3 days...I missed Dh and ds1 I'm used to noise and people, and I told visitors to stay away so I was actually pretty lonely

#9 feralstreak

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:35 PM

With DS I ended up spending almost two weeks at a public hospital, due to pre-eclampsia and a c-section, so I was well and truly over it by the end!

Before DS arrived, I spent my time lounging around and reading Agatha Christies, which was lovely! My DH also brought around lots of chocolate and Grapetiser to offset the bland food!

After DS came it was a blur, but I spent a lot of time seeing the in-hospital lactation consultant (I needed a nipple shield and practice with attachment), which I found really useful when I got home.

I didn't end up having any visitors apart from family, as I was doped up on pain killers and feeding DS every three hours, so that took the pressure off having to be presentable and sociable!

It's hard to relax in a hospital though, too much noise and bright light. I did enjoy having a shower first thing, so that I felt nice and clean and then wearing comfy stretchy clothing or pyjamas all day. If I have another baby, I will be bringing in lots of trashy magazines!  Good luck with your impending birth!

#10 niggles

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:43 PM

I'm not very good at doing nothing but my second time around a very lovely, very firmly reassuring midwife talked through with me the details of my labour the next day and insisted I cancel or put off afternoon visitors and rest. She reminded me that my body had been through a great deal and needed the chance to recover. She also firmly encouraged me to sleep every afternoon. I'm really glad I took her advice. Those first few days went quite smoothly for me and the baby, with me making every effort to get that regular rest.

I showered, dressed comfortably and got back into bed each morning with baby in reach. I sat up for lunch and then stayed horizontal and slept for the afternoon (that really does help take the pressure off wounds and swelling). I'd freshen up when they came around with afternoon tea and then hop back into bed sitting up for visitors through the evening. I'd then shower again and potter quietly - TV, reading - before the late evening feed and then go to sleep.

#11 Feral timtam

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:49 PM

DS1- I got the bounty bag straight after the birth so between my very few visitors I alternated between reading bounty bag items and sleeping. I'm not a TV watcher, I was in there 3 days and went insane from boredom.

DD- Again stuck in that hell hole for 3 days. I had a substantial bleed after her so wasn't strong enough to  wander far from the bed. I didn't get the bounty bag until I was discharged, I hadn't packed a book, DH kept forgetting to put one in the car for me and had the room to myself. My phone had been left behind so I couldn't even play games on that. By the end of the first day I was begging to get discharged even though I was in no fit state to go home!

DS2- I managed to get early discharge! I showered, got dressed, fed DS2, had a sleep and they gave the go ahead for me to go home.

I hate being in hospital. The food was decent, nurses were lovely but I am claustrophobic and a very private person. If I don't get a room with a window to myself I start to get rather panicky. I'm also not a TV person and if I don't have a good supply of books and puzzles I go insane.

#12 Dylan's Mummy

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:59 PM

I enjoyed not having to cook or clean for 4 1/2 days.

Edited by Dylan's Mummy, 14 February 2013 - 05:00 PM.

#13 Fossy

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:00 PM

I think second time around you're more relaxed in general, I found I definately was. What do you enjoy? A good book? A soppy movie? Prepare yourself with whatever you enjoy.

The things I did with DS I didn't do with DD - watched movies, had 2 massages (bliss!!) went for walks outside, went out for lunch, even got a pedicure! With DD I was more focused on learning how to care for her, utilizing the lactation consultant a lot! I didn't have as much time to relax.

I would get up and shower or have a spa in the morning just to feel clean, did at night too.  Put on comfy clothes, nothing too fancy.  Then just relax, put my feet up a lot as I had swelling, enjoyed the classes, got a lot from physio ones, just enjoyed the time knowing I didn't have to cook or clean!!

#14 Natttmumm

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:26 PM

I have been in hospital and have made the most of it.
I do get up around 7 ish have a shower, get dressed, eat and have a coffee.
I spend the day feeding bub(bottle feeding plus expessing) so it's spaced out and resting while he's asleep which has been the whole time. I watch tv, enjoy the visiting times or use my iPad.
I have2 other kids so enjoy the break from the chaos at home.
5 days I'm over it though

#15 Jess1308

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:32 PM

Second time around hubby stayed two nights, I was alone with my daughter for the other three nights. I just watched TV, read magazines, messed about on the iPad, slept and recovered. I also only had immediate family visit so as to optimize rest time before going home with a newborn to my 18mth old original.gif

#16 Katie_bella

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:39 PM

Hate being a patient, I'd rather sit at home on my own couch with my own food and watch TV. Doing that in hospital seems ridiculous to me, others obviously, feel differently wink.gif .

#17 JaneLane

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:47 PM

I was a private patient but in a public hospital in my own room with both boys who were c-sections.

I was in 5 days and we paid for DH to stay over night so he was there the entire time.  I wore soft yoga pants and a comfy roomy exercise top as I felt a bit blerg just being in pj's. I did do hair and makeup everyday to make myself feel a bit nice too.

I spent most of the time lying or sitting in the bed or chair, talking to DH and visitors, read books, played games, checked emails Facebook etc on my phone, browsed magazines DH brought up from the hospital news agency.  I took everything really easy and it was over 30 hours after both ops before I was told to get out of bed and shower. It then was another day before I could slowly shuffle to the bathroom without help.  I was very conscious of my insicion and did everything slowly and took it easy.  I knew I wouldn't have that luxury when I got home do I made use of all the help.

Edited by blue4me, 18 February 2013 - 02:50 PM.

#18 Cranky Kitten

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:10 PM

DD - in for 3 days, public hospital but entire 4 bed room to myself. Aside from learning how to bathe her, bf and so on I was bored silly for most of it, would leave her sleeping with the nurses while I nicked off to the shop and even went out to see friends. Pestered the nurses to let me go home pretty well daily until I'd nagged them into acquiescence.

DS - in for 3 days again, private hospital own room with DH. Aside from visitors and getting bf sorted, we'd brought my laptop and a wireless internet connection for entertainment and access to the outside world, and even then I was climbing the walls to go home by the end of day 2. Would've left earlier but the painkillers wore off and I was a bit sore.

This time - planning to only be in overnight, or for the day if a morning birth. I hate hospitals.

#19 Bluenomi

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:35 PM

I enjoyed the peace and quiet, well as much as you can on a maternity ward. I had visitors drop in but I liked having time with DD without the distractions of tv, cleaning, cooking etc. DH bought the laptop in so I spend some time on that and taking lots of photos of DD. I wanted to stay longer but that was mostly because MIL and FIL were staying at my house (univited  rolleyes.gif )

#20 Pocket79

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:43 PM

I was lucky my hospital has a 'little luxuries' program where they move you to a hotel after a night or two if all goes well. It was bliss- we had ocean views, two queen beds, DH stayed with me the whole time and there was a special room service menu which was delicious. There are midwives there 24/7 and they come to check on you at regular intervals or if you call but otherwise they leave you to relax. And that's pretty much what I did, in between visitors. I had magazines to read and eBooks on my iPHone.
I am due with #2 in April and hoping so much that I get to go to the hotel again. I think we will bring DS though as I want him to feel part of everything and bond with his new sibling, so perhaps it wont be quite as relaxing as last time although I will have lots of family around to take him on excursions if he needs to get out, and he sleeps pretty well so hopefully it can be a mini holiday for all of us.
This post did make me think about the fact that I need to make sure I relax though, before we get home and the chaos escalates!!

#21 DEVOCEAN

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:02 PM

I had a shower every morning when DH came in. He would watch her while I showered. Then we would just veg and go for walks around the hospital.

#22 monkeys mum

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:09 PM

With all three I was home within 24hrs, I go a bit stir crazy and start missing the kids at home.

This time though I might stay a day depending on how it all goes and how I feel afterwards, if anything like the last two I will be up and walking around as soon as I'm allowed. After having ds1 I showered while DP joined him down to scn, fresh out of the shower and the midwife asked if I wanted to see him and my eyes lit up and i said yes, so she told me she would organise a wheelchair, then looked shocked when I asked if I could just walk there. If he hadn't been in scn for a few hours we would have been home that evening.

Some times a break is great other times you just want out of there. I was a up in the morning shower, and dress and bug each nurse that came near me for when I could go home.

#23 PigNewton

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:29 PM

I was in for 5 days. I watched quite a few shows on Youtube and also had a reasonable amount of visitors, as DS was born 3 days before Christmas, so lots of people were off work. I didn't find the visitors intrusive as the hospital had pretty strict visiting hours (DH could room in though, private hospital)

I did shower and make-up every day, but mainly because the rest of me looked so blergh and it was nice to have a bit of normality up top when I'd been living in jersey shorts and Tshirts for days and had frozen surfboards in my undies.

TBH the last couple of days I was bored sh*tless. DS was under lights for jaundice and was sleeping most of the time that he wasn't feeding, there was nothing good on TV because it was Christmas and I had no library books. If I get to do it again, I'll remember some good books at least. I was also a little bummed at missing Christmas Day lunch although my family came in in the morning to do presents. I did get a couple of hours out to go to a Boxing Day BBQ, but by the time they said DS was OK to go, I was raring to get out of there!

#24 Feralishous

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:00 AM

This time I birthed at night, so showered, at dinner and slept/breastfed.
Next day I showered, ate, facebooked, introduced DS to DD and my mums and sisters and slept.
Then I went home original.gif
I was in for a month with DD, so wasnt staying a moment longer than necessary

#25 Onyx

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:20 AM

The first 24 hours I couldn't get out of bed, when I did I showered then just relaxed with my little guy.

We had a few visitors but mostly I stayed in bed, I wore comfy yoga pants and a singlet top. DS slept a lot, so while he slept, so did I.

I stayed at a nice hospital so enjoyed the food, my OB sent someone to give me a foot massage, I felt pretty chilled out the whole time. I didn't want to go home.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Teaching our son to say no to violence against women

Today, on White Ribbon Day - and every other day - we're teaching our son to say no to violence against women.

Mothers told to breastfeed in 'spacious' toilet

If there is one thing the owners of Tillings Cafe can be certain of, it is that the eatery won't win the award for Britain's best baby-friendly coffee shop any time soon.

Mother gives name to son dumped down drain

A woman who admitted to dumping her newborn baby down a Sydney drain has reportedly been allowed to give him a name.

Taking small steps to reduce stress

Are you feeling used up by life's stress, family problems and a demanding job you can't turn off? Many people are way beyond work-life exhaustion. They are functioning as robots.

Bad news: we're running out of chocolate

The world's biggest chocolate-maker says we're running out of chocolate.

Born at 23 weeks, 'Chopstick Baby' survives first week

A baby who was born at 23 weeks has survived her first week of life outside the womb.

Manic stations: the nesting instinct in pregnancy

It might sound like temporary insanity, but almost obsessive nesting as you near your due date isn’t uncommon – even if you’re not usually a particularly clean person.

How a baby can survive alone for days on end

The baby found abandoned in a Sydney drain may have been alone for up to six days without being fed, leaving many asking how he could have survived.

When it begins to look a lot like Christmas

A child's excitement at Christmas time is a beautiful thing, but one dad ponders whether his toddler daughter is getting into the festive mood a bit too soon.

Hospital lets dads the experience some of the pain of childbirth

A new experience is radically altering men's views of childbirth.

Italian doctors questioned over formula bribes

Italian police have placed 12 doctors under house arrest on suspicion of promoting baby milk formula over breastfeeding.

Heartwarming prank gives single mum the house she was hired to clean

Cara Simmons arrived at work to clean a large and beautiful house in time for a party planned for that evening. It was soon hers.

Those special moments of sibling bonding

Every now and then your child does or says something that is truly memorable.

Why we should stop telling new parents to 'enjoy every moment'

A few weeks ago, some dear friends of mine had their first baby. As the proud dad texted me a picture I had to fight the natural instinct to say “Enjoy every moment!”

Baby monitor footage posted online

Footage of Australian babies and children sleeping in their bedrooms are among the images on a Russian site showing live feeds from thousands of homes and businesses around the world.

Did this new dad really hit on his wife's midwife?

Was there really a man who was actually there by his wife’s side as she laboured and gave birth to his child, all while he was making what he perceived to be meaningful eye contact with a midwife?

Keep calm and ignore the Tantrum Trolls

Tantrum Trolls are a small but growing species of predatory bottom-feeders who delight in picking on parents at their most vulnerable.

It's okay to never 'get over' the death of a loved one

The death of children, siblings, and parents has long term impacts on the rest of our lives.

What Mark Latham needs to know about depression and motherhood

Love has nothing to do with mental illness. But love may drive a mother to do something about it.

'We're just trying to keep our child alive': life with FPIES

We have a beautiful seven-month-old son, and his allergy rules our life.

Transgender dad breastfeeds his babies

A transgender man who breastfed his first baby - despite having his breasts removed as part of his transformation from female to male - has now had a second child.

Couple face $1 million medical bill and bankruptcy after babymoon birth

A Canadian couple were slammed with a million dollar medical bill after their daughter was prematurely during their babymoon.

Cigarettes, junk food dominate supermarket sales growth

One in every five dollars spent at supermarkets goes on cigarettes or junk food, according to industry data.

Teacher under fire for breastfeeding in class

There is no doubt mums have a right to continue breastfeeding after they have returned to work, but one teacher in the US has taken it to the extreme.

Win a family pass to Disney Live!

We have 4 family passes to give away to see Disney Live! presents Three Classic Fairy Tales, touring Australia this December/January.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Join PADDINGTON on the red carpet!

To celebrate the release of PADDINGTON, we are giving five lucky winners the chance to win a family pass to the exclusive Australian Premiere in Sydney on December 7!

The tragedy of losing a favourite teddy bear

We were green and uninitiated, perhaps a little naïve when it came to the favourite toy responsibility.

Video: Baby sniffs beardless dad to make sure it's him

She looks him up and down and then touches his chin, but baby Lindsey still isn't sure this clean-shaven man is her dad.

It's possible to workout while pregnant

Medical experts say intense fitness routines can be done safely during pregnancy - if the mums-to-be follow some guidelines.

What parents really want for their kids

Are our hopes, dreams and expectations for our children what they really need?

'I had a feeling something was seriously wrong'

Before even giving birth, Katie Myers' maternal instincts warned her something was wrong with her baby.

When your pregnancy causes a relationship rift

Some dads-to-be don't miss a beat when their partner is pregnant; others struggle with a range of issues and can become withdrawn, right when their support is needed most.

Couple uses group photo trick to announce pregnancy to loved ones

Katharine and Kris Camilli devised a clever trick to immortalise their family and friends' reactions to their exciting pregnancy news.

Why Tracey Spicer has given up make-up

"After 30 years on television, I had become what I despised: a painted doll who spent an hour a day and close to $200 a week putting on a mask."

Knowing you are one of the lucky ones

I am secure, confident and strong, but the responsibility of protecting my children can almost bring me undone.

Why I am so emotional now I have kids?

There are so many ways in which parenthood changes us as women, but one of the most noticeable, for me, has been the changing state of my emotions.

Baby survives despite sharing womb with 'foreign body'

Baby Maia was conceived against the odds, only to find she was sharing a womb with an ominous "foreign body".

Video: Baby shows dog how to jump - or vice versa

They say dog is man's best friend, but this playful pooch seems to have chosen a jumping baby as her number one buddy.

10 ways to soothe a crying baby

New paernts can get frustrated when their newborn gets fussy and can't settle down. When you're feeling overwhelmed, try some of these simple tips to help soothe your baby.

20 baby names that are becoming more popular every year

The data-lovers at nameberry.com have been at it again – this time, they’ve discovered the names that are continually rising up the ranks, ready to take out some top spots in the next few years.

10 great meals to make for new parents

Ideally, you want to give food that isn’t expensive to make, isn't too difficult to create, and freezes well; stews, bakes, soups and pasta sauces are perfect.

Weird pregnancy products

Some pregnancy products come to market and are just awesome. Others just leave you scratching your head.

Carers admit to force-feeding children

A mum and daughter will continue working in the industry despite admitting they mistreated kids in their care.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.