Health Warnings on Coke
Drink too much and it might kill you?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 Cranky Kitten

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:53 AM

WELLINGTON (AFP) - A New Zealand woman's 10-litre a day Coca-Cola habit was a major factor in her death, a coroner found Tuesday, urging the soft drink giant to put health warnings on its caffeinated products.

Natasha Harris, a 30-year-old mother of eight from Invercargill in southern New Zealand, drank huge amounts of the fizzy beverage for years before her death in February 2010, coroner David Crerar found.

He said Harris suffered from a number of health conditions which could be linked to the "extreme" amounts of Coke she downed, playing a role in the cardiac arrhythmia that finally killed her.

"I find that when all the available evidence is considered, were it not for the consumption of very large quantities of Coke by Natasha Harris, it is unlikely that she would have died when she died and how she died," he found.

He added that Harris's Coke habit "was a substantial factor that contributed to the development of the metabolic imbalances which gave rise to the arrhythmia".

A pathologist found Harris, who did not drink alcohol, had an enlarged liver due to fatty deposits caused by excessive sugar consumption and low potassium levels in her blood, which can affect cardiac function.

Her family said she complained of a "racing heart" before her death and they considered her addicted to Coke, which she drank throughout her waking hours.

"(She would) go crazy if she ran out... she would get the shakes, withdrawal symptoms, be angry, on edge and snappy," her mother-in-law Vivien Hodgkinson told the inquest into her death last year.

Harris's family told the inquest she had all her teeth removed after they went rotten due to excessive soft drink consumption and at least one of her children was born with no enamel on its teeth.

Crerar said the family had not considered her Coke habit dangerous because the drink did not carry any health warnings.

He recommended "that Coca-Cola give consideration to the inclusion of advice as to quantity of caffeine on labels (in) its products and... adding appropriate warnings related to the dangers of consuming excessive quantities of the products".

He also said authorities should examine whether health warnings were needed and consider lowering the maximum amount of caffeine allowed in carbonated beverages.

However, the coroner also said all the ingredients of Coke were "entirely legal (and) are enjoyed by millions".

"Coca-Cola cannot be held responsible for the health of consumers who drink unhealthy quantities of the product," he said in a written finding.

Coca-Cola Oceania said in a statement that experts had been unable to agree on what caused Harris's heart attack and Crerar had acknowledged that he could not be certain what was behind it.

"Therefore we are disappointed that the coroner has chosen to focus on the combination of Ms Harris' excessive consumption of Coca-Cola, together with other health and lifestyle factors, as the probable cause of her death," it said.

Link here

The thought that comes to my mind is "dude, drink 10L a day of just about anything other than water and it's not going to be all that healthy" - surely some sort of personal responsibility comes into it?

Edited by Cranky Kitten, 13 February 2013 - 07:43 PM.

#2 PrincessPeach

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:56 AM

Actually I think even drinking 10 litres of water in a day will kill you...

But certainly common sense should have prevailed.

#3 amabanana

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:57 AM

Even 10L of water a day wouldn't be great.  Surely?

Crazy.

#4 Feral Grey Mare

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:57 AM

I couldn't even drink 10 litres of water a day. I don't believe that any amount of warning labels would have prevented this woman from self-destructing like this.

#5 ~sydblue~

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:59 AM

I think she overdosed on the caffeine in the coke, drinking that much. DH had to wean himself down to 1 600ml bottle a day. The only way he could do it was to take the panadol with caffeine in it.

He tries to go longer than a day, but if work is particularly stressful he caves and has his 1 bottle.

QUOTE (amabanana @ 13/02/2013, 12:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Even 10L of water a day wouldn't be great.  Surely?

Crazy.

10lt of water would kill you or at least make you really sick. It dilutes all the goodies in your system.

#6 Ianthe

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:59 AM

10 litres a day!

#7 Bluenomi

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:03 PM

If you are stupid enough to drink 10 litres of coke a day, what happens to you is completely your fault. The family aren't terribly smart if they think her drinking that much of it was fine because there wasn't a warning on the bottle.

Edited by Bluenomi, 13 February 2013 - 12:22 PM.

#8 Cat People

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:07 PM

I read this yesterday and found it quite unbelievable.  I still can't quite believe it was the coke that killed her at just 30.  I've known heavy drug addicts, smokers and alcoholics that have lived twice that.

This bit from the family just stank of "law suit!" -

Crerar said the family had not considered her Coke habit dangerous because the drink did not carry any health warnings.

Really?  When all her teeth fell out, that didn't give you a clue?   Sure you wouldn't expect it to kill you at just 30 but eventually there would be some serious health problems.

Anyway, pretty sad for the family but I think some of the responsibility and fault has to be with the woman.

#9 Bunsen the feral

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:09 PM

That's over 1kg of sugar every day! Should a kilo bag of sugar come with a warning not to eat it all in one day?

#10 steppy

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:11 PM

I know a woman who was almost killed for doing the same thing only it was Diet Coke. Excessive consumption of anything is going to kill you really. She had to go on sick leave for 6 months to fight back and get healthier. She doesn't drink it anymore.

Edited by steppy, 13 February 2013 - 12:11 PM.

#11 Cranky Kitten

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:12 PM

Is it childish of me to wonder how much she'd have to pee drinking all that? Not to mention the fact that she was effectively consuming several kilograms of sugar every day.

#12 NSG

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:12 PM

So, all her teeth had to be removed and she would get withdrawal symptoms if she didn't drink the stuff and they thought that was all ok? At least one child has serious teeth problems and that didn't trigger a warning for them? God I hope there are not warnings put on coke bottles, that would be nanny state to the extreme.

#13 Jane F. Jetson

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:20 PM

QUOTE (Madame Protart @ 13/02/2013, 01:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Really?  When all her teeth fell out, that didn't give you a clue?   Sure you wouldn't expect it to kill you at just 30 but eventually there would be some serious health problems.

You'd think that'd be a bit of a hint, wouldn't it?

I am normally fairly pro-health warning, but in this case I don't really believe it's warranted. I do feel sorry for the family, but I would have thought it would be really, really basic common sense not to drink this much of anything, but particularly a substance which is widely known to be not exactly health food.

#14 FeralBob!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:21 PM

QUOTE (Bunsen @ 13/02/2013, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's over 1kg of sugar every day! Should a kilo bag of sugar come with a warning not to eat it all in one day?

According to the logic in that article, yes.

What I don't understand is how she got to the point of drinking 10 litres of liquid every day, and why none of the health professionals she presumably saw didn't warn her of of the risks of that level of consumption of ANY fluid?

The only time I've come close to drinkng that amount of water every day was on holiday in Uluru one January when it was 42+ degrees every day and we were outside seeing the sights.

#15 Tigerdog

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:22 PM

QUOTE (Cranky Kitten @ 13/02/2013, 12:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The thought that comes to my mind is "dude, drink 10L a day of just about anything other than water and it's not going to be all that healthy" - surely some sort of personal responsibility comes into it?

Exactly!!  And they may as well remove the caffeine altogether, just reducing it isn't going to have any impact at all on a fool who'd drink 10 litres in a day - they'll still be consuming an excess!

Edited by Tigerdog, 13 February 2013 - 01:07 PM.

#16 CountryFeral

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:28 PM

If they despoil my wine with a bloody warning label then-  hell yeah they should put one on stupid Coke!

However if they leave my wine alone then they can continue on with their caffeine/sugar/aspartame lack of warning labelling.

#17 Alina0210

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:30 PM

thats so much... i feel guilty if i 2 cans of coke at a party lol...

10L wow

#18 Feraldadathome

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:43 PM

Are there warning labels on coffee?

Coke labels state that it contains caffeine, and the nutritional information makes it as clear as with other products that it cintatins sugar.

The call for warning labels strikes me as a grieving family seeking to reduce the dead woman's individual responsibility.

#19 seayork2002

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:44 PM

Why on earth should we allow personal responsibilty in society???

#20 Froger

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:56 PM

I'd like to see a label that tells me exactly how much caffeine is in the bottle/can/per serve. I think that would be useful. I'd actually like to see it on tea and coffee and all caffeinated drinks, as well as a suggested daily limit for caffeine.

#21 protart roflcoptor

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:57 PM

QUOTE (SarahM72 @ 13/02/2013, 12:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd like to see a label that tells me exactly how much caffeine is in the bottle/can/per serve. I think that would be useful. I'd actually like to see it on tea and coffee and all caffeinated drinks, as well as a suggested daily limit for caffeine.

It doesn't have that info on the label already?

#22 Froger

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:58 PM

QUOTE (protart roflcoptor @ 13/02/2013, 12:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It doesn't have that info on the label already?

Don't know. Perhaps it does. I don't actually drink coke. I'm just trying to look after the health of everyone else in Australia.  wink.gif

#23 FeralBob!

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:01 PM

I don't think it does, I think it just tells you that there's caffeine.

Mind you, I can't confirm this as no one in my office drinks a lot of coke....

#24 archygrouseferal

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:04 PM

While agreeing that the woman and her family had to be all kinds of stupid not to recognise and deal with the problem of drinking so much coke, the cynic in me noted  Coke's response

'In a statement yesterday,Coca-Cola Oceania spokesman Josh Gold said the coroner should not have focused on Ms Harris' Coke "addiction", because one of the contributing expert witnesses – Professor Johan Duflou, a forensic pathologist contracted by Coca-Cola to give evidence – disagreed with the other expert witnesses.'

One pathologist  disagreed with the other experts who thought Coke was dangerous? And he was the pathologist contracted by Coke? Well, who'd a thunk it!

#25 2_little_boys

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:12 PM

I considered myself a coke addict (have recently given up and only drink water - YAY me) and I still never drank anywhere near 1/2 that amount.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recall: Another cot deemed unsafe

Parents are being warned to check their baby's cot is not one of those which have been recalled in recent weeks due to safety concerns.

The truth about breastfeeding and weightloss

Celebrities often state that their post-baby weight loss is down to breastfeeding, and breastfeeding alone. But that's not the reality for all women.

10 weird things little kids do

Most kids have their own personal brand of oddity. It's usually nothing to worry about, but every now and again you might find yourself scratching your head and asking, ?Really? Is that really a thing??

The app that helps detect signs of autism

Parents can assess their children's progress at critical developmental stages, thanks to this new app.

Long battle to learn the truth about Ariana's birth

Cerise and Tim Lawn spent two years fighting to find out how a healthy pregnancy turned into a nightmare birth, and why their daughter now suffers from disabilities she shouldn't have.

Christina Aguilera announces daughter's name

Christina Aguilera and her fiance, Matt Rutler, have welcomed their daughter into the world.

Couple caught in surrogacy crackdown

An Australian couple caught up in Thailand's surrogacy crackdown have said many parents are distraught and facing dire financial difficulties as are they are unable to bring their surrogate-born babies home.

'Tired' mum dies of undiagnosed diabetes

New mum Nicky Rigby thought her exhaustion was due to the demands of looking after her baby. But the 26-year-old was seriously ill with diabetes, and died due to her condition not being diagnosed.

5 co-sleeping myths busted

In case you are co-sleeping with your baby, and all the ?helpful? advice from others is sending you down the slippery slope of self-doubt, let?s bust a few myths on the topic.

When pregnancy takes you down memory lane

One mum-to-be discovers pregnancy hormones can give rise to some surprising emotions.

What?s your love language?

The secret to making your partner feel special is to know which language of love they favour ? and it?s the same for your kids, too.

Returning to exercise after a caesarean

I had my daughter four months ago via caesarean, and I want to get back into exercise. What are some good first steps I can take?

20 signs of a great relationship

The secret to a perfect relationship is admitting you are wrong after an argument, five kisses a day and sex twice a week, a new survey suggests.

Video: emotional 60-second Robin Williams tribute

Take a minute to remember some of the greatest films of your childhood ... and have a few tissues close at hand.

The realities of escaping domestic violence

?Why doesn?t she just leave?? is the common question people ask when trying to understand domestic violence. For many, leaving the relationship is far from straightforward.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Do you suffer from Precious Firstborn Syndrome?

Testing ?no more tears? shampoo in your own eyes, warming cucumber sticks so they're not cold straight from the fridge, waking a sleeping baby to check they?re still breathing: these are all symptoms of Precious Firstborn Syndrome.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

Mums hit hardest as flu cases skyrocket

The number of confirmed cases of influenza in Australia has doubled the number for the same time last year - and women are 25 per cent more likely to get it.

The mum who had four babies in nine months

Feeling exhausted due to the demands of caring for a baby? Imagine the life of this mum, who gave birth to three boys and one girl in just nine months.

Everything baby at Big W

Lowest prices on everything baby, only at Big W. Sale starts August 4 and ends August 20 2014.

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

Mum gives birth at school

Whether they're out of favour traditional names, or the parents were a little creative, here are the least popular names of 2013.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.