Why don't school development days occur during school holidays?
One for the teachers

• Please log in to reply
133 replies to this topic

#1 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:43 AM

Genuine curiosity, why don't school development days occur during the school holidays when the students aren't attending anyway?

#2 toosenuf

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:47 AM

QUOTE (YodaTheWrinkledOne @ 13/02/2013, 11:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Genuine curiosity, why don't school development days occur during the school holidays when the students aren't attending anyway?

i have wondered about this too original.gif

#3 PrincessPeach

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:47 AM

Public or Private School?

Pupil Free Days always used to be used for this sort of thing.

#4 Feraldadathome

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:51 AM

Because government's haven't offered sufficient incentive to encourage teachers to attend work on their days of non-attendance. In NSW, agreement to individual, designated shcool development days was a big cost saving.

(in NSW at least, teachers get 4 week's annual leave, with the rest of the school holidays covered by official non-attendance. The annual salary accounts for that period of non-attendance)

#5 Heather11

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:53 AM

One of the reasons I can gather is that contract staff don't get paid for holidays.  Therefore they will be not be getting paid while doing the PD.

#6 liveworkplay

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:58 AM

They do as well in some schools. Teachers are contracted to do a certain number of days per year (as well as a certain number of face to face teaching time). How the school organises that is up to their relevant governing bodies.

#7 somila

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:59 AM

And there are so many contract staff these days. A couple of teachers in my staff room were "sacked" a week before the end of school last year, and their contracts were renewed in January.

They have been at the school for 3 or 4 years at least, and are both working as co-ordinators as well as classroom teachers and have significant extra-curricular involvement.

I'm assuming it's all about the money that the government saves over the summer holidays, but ...

Seriously, just give these people permanent employment!!!

Rant over.

#8 Lyra

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:00 AM

QUOTE (Heather11 @ 13/02/2013, 11:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
One of the reasons I can gather is that contract staff don't get paid for holidays.  Therefore they will be not be getting paid while doing the PD.

This is and also because some contract teachers might not even know what school they have been assigned to until the first day of term or even the first week.

#9 FeralRebelWClaws

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:03 AM

I teach in the ACT (I've taught both College and High School) and ours are all in stand down.

This year school went back Feb 4th and teachers were required to be at PD on Jan 30th to Feb 1st. On the odd occasion where there aren't enough days at the beginning of the year then they will do another one in the April stand down. Like the year that easter was the last weekend of term and then they put a PD day on the Tuesday, which is awesome if your partner isn't a teacher and you would have liked to have had a holiday using the 4 days of Easter. Mind you I rarely have time to have a "holiday."

Edited by PussyDids, 13 February 2013 - 11:03 AM.

#10 Bam1

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:26 AM

QUOTE (Sassy Girl @ 13/02/2013, 12:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They don't occur during holidays because teachers are people too and need time off  rant.gif Many teachers use the school holidays to spend time with their children as well as do normal school work, I am sure they'd love to do extra work as well during their time off  rant.gif rant.gif rant.gif rant.gif

But aren't all employees people too and need time off? The question is raised because despite at least 10 weeks of school holidays, teachers still need to take school development days on teaching days. Most employees only have 4 weeks off and also love to spend time with children, with friends etc etc

Fortunately other PPs have put more logical reasons why they can't be taken during the school holidays.

#11 Yogurtbliss

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:42 AM

I knew eventually this would come down to the ten weeks holidays! In reality, teachers are paid for 6 hours work a day (in Queensland- yep that's on our pay slips!) despite being at work for about 8 hours to complete the school day. Work done at home, parent teacher evenings, camps etc do not attract any further pay. Oh and the holidays are at a fixed time every year which can be tough if you need to go away for a wedding etc, you can't take it out of your annual leave, you usually just can't go.

This said, it is a rewarding career, and the holidays certainly make it easier to catch up on planning and marking when required, as well as to reenergise for another great term!

From an administration point of view, there are limited providers of quality professional development, if we limited the times available, the development may not necessarily be quality.

Finally, teachers are required to do 30 hours professional development annually to maintain their accreditation (also Queensland) so it is reasonable that at least some of these hours occur during term time, or I think we would see even more teachers leaving the profession due to burn out!

#12 FluffyOscar

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:54 AM

QUOTE (Jbonnett @ 13/02/2013, 12:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Finally, teachers are required to do 30 hours professional development annually to maintain their accreditation (also Queensland) so it is reasonable that at least some of these hours occur during term time, or I think we would see even more teachers leaving the profession due to burn out!

That's 4.2 days.

Or 2.1 days in the Term 1 holidays, and 2.1 days in the Term 2 holidays, which are agreed as being non-attending work days.

So that's basically one day a week during the Term 2 and 3 breaks that could be spent doing your PD, given that you're working anyway  shrug.gif

Do you have to personally pay for your PD, or does the school cover it?

#13 José

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:01 PM

I find it hard to believe that this is a serious question. I used to work in retail where we had product training sessions but you werent expected to attend if you were on holidays.  I have also worked in tourism where we had training sessions but again those on leave were not expected to attend.  Not sure why teachers would be different?

#14 Yogurtbliss

Some the school will cover, some you end up paying for yourself, which can be claimed on tax.

Most (all I have ever been to!) are run during school hours, minus breaks, so you only end up with 5 hours per day, not sure if that is school or presenter preference though!

#15 KT1978

And there are so many contract staff these days. A couple of teachers in my staff room were "sacked" a week before the end of school last year, and their contracts were renewed in January.

They have been at the school for 3 or 4 years at least, and are both working as co-ordinators as well as classroom teachers and have significant extra-curricular involvement.

I'm assuming it's all about the money that the government saves over the summer holidays, but ...

One of the reasons I can gather is that contract staff don't get paid for holidays. Therefore they will be not be getting paid while doing the PD.

I don't understand how they are saving money by "sacking" people when they aren't paid in holidays to start with anyway.

Shouldn't contract workers be on a higher rate to account for annual leave etc?

#16 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:03 PM

QUOTE (PrincessPeach @ 13/02/2013, 10:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Public or Private School?

Pupil Free Days always used to be used for this sort of thing.

Does it matter?

I figured it's called "Pupil Free Days" for the students and parents sake, but the teachers/staff realise it's for their own planning/development etc.

QUOTE (Lyra @ 13/02/2013, 11:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is and also because some contract teachers might not even know what school they have been assigned to until the first day of term or even the first week.

that's bad planning.  sad.gif

QUOTE (Sassy Girl @ 13/02/2013, 11:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They don't occur during holidays because teachers are people too and need time off  rant.gif Many teachers use the school holidays to spend time with their children as well as do normal school work, I am sure they'd love to do extra work as well during their time off  rant.gif rant.gif rant.gif rant.gif

Okay, you don't have to rant.  I'm trying to understand this.  The average punter has no idea about the working arrangements for teachers.  I'm not trying to be deliberately inflammatory, I'm trying to understand why it is so.  

Other jobs/professions have 4 weeks of annual leave (usually) to have some time off and spend time with their family.  Given that there is around 10 weeks of school holidays when students do not attend, I presume that for most teacher, the 10 weeks of student non-attendance includes standard 4 weeks annual leave, leaving 6 weeks of school holidays where teachers/staff do not go into the "office", so to speak.  I was just wondering why staff development and training can't be done during this student non-attendence time.

And teachers are not the only profession to do longer hours than required contact/office hours.  My sympathy on that score is not high.  Yes, it's intense during school term, but for many teachers they get a good break every three months or so.

QUOTE (Bam1 @ 13/02/2013, 11:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But aren't all employees people too and need time off? The question is raised because despite at least 10 weeks of school holidays, teachers still need to take school development days on teaching days. Most employees only have 4 weeks off and also love to spend time with children, with friends etc etc

This is what I was trying to ask.  Thank you.

This year school went back Feb 4th and teachers were required to be at PD on Jan 30th to Feb 1st. On the odd occasion where there aren't enough days at the beginning of the year then they will do another one in the April stand down.

Genuinely curious, why wouldn't there be enough days in January?

QUOTE ( @ 13/02/2013, 12:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I find it hard to believe that this is a serious question. I used to work in retail where we had product training sessions but you werent expected to attend if you were on holidays.  I have also worked in tourism where we had training sessions but again those on leave were not expected to attend.  Not sure why teachers would be different?

I'm not expected to attend training on my holidays.  Mind you, I don't have 6 weeks a year when I have no client/office contact.

I'm confused - do permanent teachers get paid for 40 weeks of work, spread over 52 weeks?  Or do permanent teachers get paid for 48 weeks, spread over 52 weeks? (second option is what happens with most people - 48 weeks of work + 4 weeks of annual leave = 52 weeks).

I have been a contract teacher/lecturer (university), so I completely get that as a contract employee, you are only paid for the term of teaching, not for time outside of the teaching term. Higher rate of pay but the pay has to last for the periods of time when you are not teaching (which is painful over Xmas).  Mind you, even as a contract employee, if I was expected to undertake training, I was paid for this, and it occurred outside of my face-to-face teaching timetable.  They didn't expect me to not teach for a few days during semester when students were waiting, training usually occurred on a non-teaching day or during the evenings.

Sorry, my question was not meant to inflame.  But I don't really know what the work/pay arrangements are for teachers, hence my curiosity about why this happens.

Edited by YodaTheWrinkledOne, 13 February 2013 - 01:04 PM.

#17 FeralRebelWClaws

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:04 PM

QUOTE (Bam1 @ 13/02/2013, 12:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If I were a typical APS employee, for the hours I work I would end up with more than 12 weeks off due to time in lieu. I don't earn more... I am on the equivalent APS scale. APS employees would not be expected to do training in their leave periods.

The more that is asked of teachers, with no compensation, the lower quality of graduate teaching attracts.

Honestly, I tend to spend the first week of my stand down catching up on sleep. Teaching is incredibly draining and I teach fantastic mature kids who are 16-18 (I have 1 class with students with special needs). I would imagine it is worse for those teaching 5 year olds!

I get really tired of feeling as though I have to justify my salary, my holidays, my work hours etc to society. TBH it's the worse part of the job. No one feels compelled to have opinions on the conditions of doctors, or swimming teachers or dance coaches or any other person that comes in regular contact with children.

#18 Heather11

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:12 PM

QUOTE (Lyra @ 13/02/2013, 11:00 AM)
that's bad planning.

This can be due also to a sudden influx of enrollments over the summer holidays.  At a public school you can rock up on the first day and enrol.  This may mean they have to add an extra class and employee another staff member.

#19 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:12 PM

QUOTE (PussyDids @ 13/02/2013, 01:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I get really tired of feeling as though I have to justify my salary, my holidays, my work hours etc to society. TBH it's the worse part of the job. No one feels compelled to have opinions on the conditions of doctors, or swimming teachers or dance coaches or any other person that comes in regular contact with children.

Sorry.  It's DD's first year and so it's the first time I've had to grapple with the whole student-free day thing on top of school holidays.  When you only have 4 weeks of annual leave and no back-up family/support, it can be a big issue as to how to find care for your kids on these extra student-free days.

I think teachers are great.  All the teachers I know put a lot of effort into their teaching, care about their students and have more patience/stamina than I would have with a classroom of kids.  My question was not meant as a criticism, but more a genuine curiosity about how this came to pass.

Edited by YodaTheWrinkledOne, 13 February 2013 - 01:13 PM.

#20 niggles

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:45 PM

I work with teachers, and we often have them coming in on their school holidays to plan and arrange resources with us. Some also attend professional development sessions with us in their own holiday time.

Mandated professional development arranged by the school has to be done in term time because at other times the teachers are on holidays and their time is their own. Just like any other profession.

#21 farfaraway

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:50 PM

Thank you PussyDids for articulating what my seething brain could not. Well said.  cclap.gif

#22 pitzinoodles

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:10 PM

QUOTE (PussyDids @ 13/02/2013, 01:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If I were a typical APS employee, for the hours I work I would end up with more than 12 weeks off due to time in lieu. I don't earn more... I am on the equivalent APS scale. APS employees would not be expected to do training in their

I really don't understand this. Can you spell it out for me please.

#23 Milly Molly Mandy

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:10 PM

Seriously OP? Because it is their holidays! As to how many weeks holidays they have it doesn't really matter. The time you think they should be training is part of their agreed holidays.

I guess thd alternative is to not give them any training time at all. Let's see how that works.

Teachers you rock!!! You do a great job teaching our kids and helping them grow into the adults they will become. All of this done with a smile on your face despite the b**chy misinformed parents (not directed at anyone here) you have to deal with.

Enjoy your well deserved holidays.

#24 SarahBelle48

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:22 PM

QUOTE (PussyDids @ 13/02/2013, 02:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If I were a typical APS employee, for the hours I work I would end up with more than 12 weeks off due to time in lieu. I don't earn more... I am on the equivalent APS scale. APS employees would not be expected to do training in their leave periods.

But those 12 weeks would be covered by the "official non-attendance periods" that PPs mentioned, wouldn't they? As in over the 52 weeks, the total number of hours worked would probably balance out. This is a genuine question btw, I'm not having a go at you or anything.

Also rather than starting another thread, can I just use this thread to clarify something in regards to teachers and leave. When its said that they have 4 weeks annual leave, is this leave absorbed by the school holiday periods or in addition to? As incould you use that 4 weeks leave during school terms? Its just that I had a family member who is a teacher and she was always going off on 2-3 week long holidays during school terms and we always wondered how she got the leave to do that.

#25 pitzinoodles

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:24 PM

QUOTE (Milly Molly Mandy @ 13/02/2013, 02:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Seriously OP? Because it is their holidays! As to how many weeks holidays they have it doesn't really matter. The time you think they should be training is part of their agreed holidays.

So are teachers only paid for 42weeks/yr?

I am genuinely trying to get my head around the whole thing.

Edited to fix up number of weeks.

Edited by pitzinoodles, 13 February 2013 - 02:26 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

How I learnt to relax about routines

After many routine-led, tough years, we've realised that being parenting isn't about being perfect. It isn't about following a schedule to a T.

Should you have a third child or not?

I thought our family had been complete with our two boys. I had no idea how much I needed my daughter until she was here.

Helping a toddler embrace an adopted sibling

A single parent by choice, I am preparing to adopt a second baby from Morocco. And I face a special challenge.

When pregnancy messes with your self-esteem

Pregnancy doesn't make all women feel beautiful. It certainly doesn't raise every woman's self-esteem.

Join us in The BIG nappy change

Introducing the new Coles Little Explorer Nappies! You can confidently rely on Coles Little Explorer nappies at each stage of your child's growth, so take the Big Nappy Change and try new Coles Little Explorer nappies for yourself!

Robbie Williams live tweets wife's labour

And the award for most patient woman in labour goes to ... Robbie Williams' wife, Ayda Field.

Vaccine ignorance is deadly and contagious

In the absence of credible, strong political leadership, paranoia about disease can go viral.

Parenting differently based on birth order

All children have unique personalities, but keeping birth order in mind could help when parenting.

How to get rid of the mum guilt

Motherhood and guilt seem to go hand in hand, but there are ways to focus

Paid parental leave scheme grinds to a halt

The future of Prime Minister Tony Abbott's paid parental leave scheme appears to be up in the air, despite the fact it is due to begin in less than nine months.

The devastation of foetal alcohol spectrum disorders

No one's sure how many Australians are affected by foetal alcohol spectrum disorders, but the consequences for those who are can be devastating.

The pros and cons of finding out the sex of your unborn baby

It’s often one of the biggest choices parents make during the course of their pregnancy; to find out, or not to find out, the sex of their baby before it’s born.

Toddler's awesome dress up month

Two-year-old Willow and her photographer mum, Gina Lee, made October "Dress Up Willow Month". She posted photos of Willow's costumes on her Instagram account, and her creative takes on popular culture are simply adorable.

Childhood around the world

It can be easy to assume our ideas around childhood are universal, but they are particular to where we live, as these practices show.

Best picks for baby and toddler shoes

Here's a great selection of footwear from pre-walker to walker ensuring comfort and style for growing feet.

I lost my wife and daughters to Ebola - then it came for my son

Sunday, September 21, is a day I will never forget.

The 'yucky' illness that took over my life

I have a chronic illness nobody likes to discuss. It involves toilet talk, and probably caused my miscarriage. But it needs to be talked about.

Prenatal testing: the facts

Prenatal testing is done to check if a baby has certain medical conditions before birth. Here is some important information about what the tests are for and the risks involved.

5 things to do with your baby?s old clothes

Did you think your only option for your baby?s old clothes was to pack them away or give them to the Salvos? Think again.

Why it's possible to not realise you're pregnant until the baby arrives

After hearing about 'surprise babies' born to mums who didn't know they were pregnant, it's common to ask "how did she not realise?" But experts say it's entirely possible for it to happen.

'My miracle is finally here'

How has the world continued on its pace when mine has been altered so drastically?

Dairy can help older women fall pregnant: study

Ice cream may be the ultimate comfort food, but a study suggests it could also help older women to have children.

Megan Gale goes topless for 'sexiest people' cover

Six months after a heavily pregnant Megan Gale posed nude for Marie Claire, the glowing new mum has gone topless for the cover of another magazine.

A new perspective on life from living with two diseases

A mother shares her personal story about the difficulty of living with two conditions, one of which stops her from being able to see her daughter's face.

Warning about Children's Panadol dosage

The Therapeutic Goods Administration has issued a safety advisory warning parents about confusion when using the dosing syringe supplied with Children's Panadol.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Take 'The Coles Big Nappy Change' Challenge

You could become part of our Test Drive team and win one of 200 packs of Coles Little Explorer Nappies as part of our 5-day challenge.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Join us in The BIG nappy change

Introducing the new Coles Little Explorer Nappies! You can confidently rely on Coles Little Explorer nappies at each stage of your child's growth, so take the Big Nappy Change and try new Coles Little Explorer nappies for yourself!

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Thief uses breast milk as weapon

Police are on the hunt for a thief who robbed a pharmacy using her lactation skills.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.