What sort of activities does your 16 month old do?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:01 AM

Just wondering what activities your 16 month old does, be it at home or out and abut?

Just looking for some ideas. original.gif

#2 Bigfatbum

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:25 AM

We carry the cat food around in a handbag and then scream when mummy won't let us take it to playgroup.
We do playgroup and am going to start the baby rhyme time at the library.

We don't do to many actual activities just roll with the punches, though our "day" is broken up by the school hours so we get 2 "walks" a day as well.

Her favourite things ( that isn't walking around cat food)
Reading, we love the touchy books
Putting  things in and out of boxes
We hug our babies and then drop them on thier heads while we run to get the truck,
Press buttons on the calculator and look at photos of Bubbas on the iPad
garden ( pick parsley while mummy does the serious work)
Wrestle on the trampolene
Wear undies on our heads while mummy folds clothes
"wipe" benches while mummy cleans
And chase the dog
Until big brother gets home and then she will demand he reads.
We might have a day time bath if she is really cranky, she thinks that's a blast as well.

I've tried blocks and things but at the moment she is just not fussed and would rather push potatoes around in her pram

Edited by Bigfatbum, 13 February 2013 - 11:24 AM.

#3 Feral-as-Meggs

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:34 AM

I dont really do any craft as DS goes to childcare 3 days and they do plenty there.  

We do:

Playgroup
Mothers group
Feeding treats to the cat
Looking at trucks and diggers (luckily we have roadwork)
Going for a ride on the bus to the shops (normally we drive so the bus is a treat).
"Helping" with housework
Pushing any buttons we encounter
Going to Bunnings and pushing the little trolley
Park
Beach
Zoo
Going for a bike ride
Banging things
Babychinos
Ringing Nanna
Walking up and down the street talking to elderly people and schoolgirls (or anyone who thinks he's cute).
Helping Grandpa on his boat.  
watering with the hose (actually he is quite good at this)

#4 Clever Clogs

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:08 AM

Walking to the letterbox and inspecting every speck of dirt on the way
We often spend up to two hours at the park in the mornings
ABA meetings (she has weaned but we still go)
We read every book in the house dozens of times
Build towers with the block
Do laps of the house sucking on a wet face washer
Go for a wander in the pram to point at dogs, roos and birds
"Gardening" - pulling leaves off weeds and eating them
Screaming at snails
Pushing me out of the kitchen
Chatting to neighbours and the people at the post office
Grocery shopping
Visiting Nanna

#5 Orangedrops

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:38 AM

school drop off,
school pick up,
supermarket,
cafe,
follow mum around whinging while she does housework,
destroy big sister's lego,
destroy other things belonging to big sisters,
trash piles of folded washing,
climb all over mum and lick her while she tries to drink a cup of tea,
wander up and down the street finding sticks and leaves to eat.
licking dirt while mum hangs up washing

Edited by Orangedrops, 13 February 2013 - 06:39 AM.

#6 jayta

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:53 AM

playing with Little People sets
crafty things - drawing, finger painting, collage (with pieces of paper/feathers etc on a piece of contact)
2 piece jigsaws (cant join them but finds all the matches and I join them up)
feeding/putting to sleep dolls/teddies
dancing
pushing around a cart/stroller
ripping out grass and throwing dirt around in the garden
popping bubbles
playing on the ipad
playing on the slide
playing chasies
annoying the cats
watch play school, and in the night garden

#7 FeralLIfeHacker

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:07 PM

We went to playgroup today, then the pool for a swim but that isn't usual, today was a big day laugh.gif

usually it's pick up siblings from school/kindy
'help' with the washing
nap
read books
push cars around the house
play with 'little people"
sit in the washing basket
wander around the garden, try to ride bikes/scooters
still having 3 or more bf's a day
lots of eating/snacking
watching the rubbish truck
getting the mail
have a bath
play in the paddling pool
swing on swings
climb on climby thing
playdough
loves, loves balls atm and often will chase one around for ages.

#8 niggles

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:17 PM

My 14 month old is most fond of chasing balls around the house, especially if I take a turn rolling it from time to time, and pushing around anything with wheels saying 'vroom'.

He also likes baskets (like the cutlery basket from the dishwasher when he gets his hands on it) because he can carry them around and put things in them. I remember his sister being much the same about baskets at that age.

Anything with water gets his approval. We have a water play table in the backyard he quite likes but once we're out there he likes to wander mostly. I keep meaning to bring it into the bathroom. It'd probably get more use there but I worry about splashing and slipping.

Crawling over cushions and mats and things on the floor is still really good too. Especially if he can get really wild about it without hurting himself.

#9 50ftqueenie

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:28 PM

DS is 16 months. His activities in the past few days:

Daycare 2 days a week
Mothers Group
Playground visits
Small container of water and a paintbrush outside
Trashing the house at every opportunity
Snatching or throwing things at his big sister
Visit to the shops with food as a bribe to sit in the stroller
Following me everywhere (including the toilet)

He is happiest outside, so I try to get him out as much as possible. Oh and he loves throwing balls and will only sit still for a story at bedtime. At the same age I would take DD to Storytime at the library, wouldn't bother with DS he is much more active.

#10 bettymm

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:42 PM

DD 14 months likes just going for walks down the street, investigating trees and chasing birds.

pulling books off her little book case and flippng through them, occasionally bringing some to me to read with her.

Tearing down the lego creations her older sister is making

pushing a little mini stroller with a dolly in

pushing a wooden cart with blocks and taking all the blocks out and in again

just started swimming lessons, loves it.

trips to the park..loves climbing things and i help her down the slide.

just generally pottering about..exploring the house and its contents

#11 Wyn99

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:46 PM

DS is almost 16 months. He has FDC 2 days per week. The other days he comes with me to preschool and school drop off. Inside:
-searching for any remotes left lying around then pushing everybutton
- pulling tupperware out of kitchen drawers
- pushing toy cars along the floor
- locating our stool and using it to get access to high places (eg. ikea playtable, bathroom sink, my bed)
- throwing a small ball around
- pulling DS and DD books off their shelves
- annoying habit of dropping useful things in the kitchen bin

Outside
Loves the hose
Loves getting dirty
Sandpit
Trying to sit in siblings' trike
Bouncing on his bottom on the trampoline
Giving food to the dog
Babycino in cafe
Library baby story time

#12 Guest_AllegraM_*

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:51 PM

Talk to the frogs living in the louvres
Chase squeaky ball with Labrador
Push buttons (turning off dishwasher mid- cycle is a hit)
Stare at washing machine when cycling
Look at neighbour's chickens
Empty all water bowls for cat and dog
Push around furniture
Flip through books
Today we caught a stick insect and that was a huge hit
"Help" hang out washing
Play with surprisingly tolerant cat
Play hide and seek with mummy in garden

#13 Cranky Kitten

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:05 PM

Currently 15 month old DS's activities consist of:

Wake up at stupid o'clock and grump until I get a snack
"help" Daddy put his shoes on ready for work
Say goodbye to Daddy
Have my breakfast and whatever I can steal off of Mummy
Play with toys for a bit - wooden helter skelter is a current fave, as is a toy piano and trucks.
Depending on the day we either go to playgroup, swimming lessons, catch up with friends or do the shopping - loves going out.
Home for a nap
Lunch
Watch Giggle and Hoot
Chase Mummy around the house yelling at the vacuum cleaner
Raid the plastics and bakeware cupboards to bash baking tins together - best noise evar!
Wander around the garden while mummy hangs washing, playing in the dirt, stealing pegs and hiding so mummy has to come find me.
Get rinsed off in the laundry trough after outside time
Drawing on blackboard
playing in box-cubby
Having rides on wheelybug
Investigating the bin
Playing with the cat (who is surprisingly patient with the "pats")
Watch playschool while waiting for Daddy to get home.
Ambush Daddy at the front door for tickles and hugs.
Dinner time
Bath time with Daddy, but not before a nudie run around the house
In the Night Garden and quiet play before milk and bed.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Special Ticket Offer, Save $8!

The Essential Baby & Toddler Show is back this April! Save $8 off the door price for a limited time only!

Finding baby name inspiration in unusual places

Sometimes the greatest baby name ideas come from the most unexpected places, as these EB members show.

The case for inducing at 37 weeks

While we often think of pregnancy as a 40 week affair, experts agree that 37 weeks is actually “full term". So is there an argument for inducing all births at 37 weeks?

Does controlled crying really work?

Controlled-crying techniques may help some babies sleep through the night, but for many exhausted new parents, it's just a recipe for more tears all round.

How I taught my infant to use a toilet

As people become more aware of these benefits, I hope more parents will practice this method, so we can cut down on nappies and improve baby bonding.

'I thought it was impossible': Emily Symons pregnant at 45

Aussie actress Emily Symons has announced she is pregnant with her first baby.

Shallow water blackout kills fit, healthy dad

A little girl will grow up without her father after the fit and healthy 34-year-old passed away while doing something he had practised his whole life.

Afternoon naps may be bad for toddlers' sleep

You could be doing yourself a disservice by encouraging your toddler to have an afternoon nap, according to new research.

Best gifts for newborns, new mums and christenings

We've compiled a guide to some of the most popular presents for newborns and new mums, and for christenings and naming days.

Jaime King to be a mum again

Actress Jaime King is pregnant with her second child, giving 16-month-old James a sibling.

Nannies should receive government funding

The Abbott government should extend funding to nannies, and direct childcare payments to low and middle income families, a landmark study on childcare has found. 

Common skin irritations in newborns (and how to treat them)

As many as one in two newborn babies suffer from skin irritations in their first few weeks. So what are the most common rashes and irritations to look out for?

10 wall decals for the nursery or playroom

Wall decals are the answer to creating a beautiful nursery or children's space without lifting a paint brush, a spirit level or even a hammer.

Preschooler walks 2.4km home alone

Three-year-old Cain Trainor headed off home after his first day at a new preschool without telling anyone.

Video: Why mums get nothing done

In spite of being in an almost constant state of motion while looking after the kids and trying to keep things together at home, it can seem as though parents have managed to get nothing on the to-do list done by the end of the day.

The middle name game

The middle name is no longer an afterthought, and parents' inspiration comes from many places.

Have a baby or your money back - but there's a catch

A new IVF scheme offers couples the chance to fall pregnant and give birth - or get their money back. But there's more to it than you might think.

A rare glimpse inside the womb

A baby born still inside the amniotic sac gave US doctors a rare glimpse at life inside the womb.

Battered mum forced to write to her attacker ex in jail

Three years ago Jason Hughes viciously attacked his ex-partner. Now she has to write to him three times a year.

Woman pleads not guilty to ultrasound scam

A West Australian woman will fight allegations that she scammed expectant mums by selling them fake ultrasound pictures of babies.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Brain damaged mum receives compensation

A Sydney mother who suffered brain damage when she was hit by a car while pushing her newborn baby in a pram has reached a confidential out-of-court settlement with the driver's insurance company.

Indigenous midwives break down the barriers

A culturally sensitive midwifery service has gained the trust and respect of Aboriginal women.

The Katering Show's next big delivery

Most mums-to-be plan to take things easy and perhaps have a little break from work as the birth of their baby draws near. Not Kate McCartney.

53 creative pregnancy announcements

Announcing that you're expecting can be a time to express your creativity, sense of humour and imagination. Check out how other parents and parents-to-be have broken the news to friends and family.

Why I have mixed feelings about Cindy Crawford's leaked photo

Last week an un-retouched photo of model Cindy Crawford surfaced, showing the 48-year-old mother-of -two posing in underwear.

How to create a Peppa Pig pancake

Thought your toddler could not love pancakes any more than they already do? How about if the breakfast treat came in the shape of every two-year-old's favourite cartoon character?

'It's a little life, not a little loss': pregnancy after miscarriage

I thought I was never going to be able to have a successful pregnancy. I decided that I wasn't going to form an emotional attachment with this baby.

Bonds Baby Search 2015: what you need to know

February 18 marks the start of one of the most prolific annual baby competitions in Australia: the Bonds Baby Search. And this year is going to be more special than ever.

Who will manage your Facebook account when you're gone?

This is not something that people like to talk about, but Facebook has announced that it will grant users more control over what happens to their pages after they die.

Struggling mum of four wins $188 million

Mother of four Marie Holmes was financially struggling after quitting her jobs at Walmart and McDonald's in order to care for her children.

Pregnant obese women a 'relatively new problem', coroner hears

A first-time mother whose daughter died hours after her frightening birth insists she was never told of the risks of being obese and pregnant.

'I'm angry as hell': the story behind mum's passionate vaccination plea

She has labelled parents who do not vaccinate their children "misinformed imbeciles" - and for that, she makes no apologies.

IKEA hacks for the nursery and kids' rooms

Are you one of those that know the whole IKEA catalogue by heart? Love their stuff but want to personalise it? Here's some inspiration to help you realise the potential of IKEA furniture and fittings.

8 different kinds of tantrums

I never thought I’d say this, but for a brief moment last week, Kim Kardashian and I had something in common: both our kids had public tantrums.

Polycystic ovary syndrome: symptoms, treatment and your fertility

Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is the most common female hormonal condition, affecting roughly one in 12 Australian women.

What's the best position for giving birth?

If doing it on your back is out, what's the best position for labour and birth?

Wife forgives snake catcher husband for car surprise

With Valentine's Day coming up, Nat Gilbert could be forgiven for thinking her husband might be planning a surprise for her.

Kids who meet milestones at their own pace

We usually only hear the success stories: tales of the two-year-old who’s talking, running and completely toilet trained. But other stories need to be told too.

Ruby shines as Bonds Baby

Sarah Kiss has a word of advice for proud mums and dads who are keen to enter their babies in this year's Bonds Baby Search Competition - just have fun.

Why dads should go to sleep school

If your family needs to go to sleep school, go with them. You are part of that family and you are part of the solution.

36 baby names inspired by food and drinks

A French court may have ruled out Nutella as a baby name, but that doesn't have to stop you from taking inspiration from the supermarket (or bottle shop). See what parents in the US have chosen for their delicious little ones.

Clever breastfeeding products

Check out this range of products designed to help make your breastfeeding journey more enjoyable, manageable and convenient.

Win a KitchenAid Mixer

Let's celebrate 300,000 fans on Facebook

To celebrate, and to thank our amazing fans, we?re giving away a KitchenAid Artisan Tilt-Head Stand Mixer.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.