My Sons classroom concern

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 my4beautifulboys

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:15 PM

My son is is Grade 3 class, and his class has no desks set up yindividually for each child. They have a few tables and chairs and then some can choose to sit on the floor to do writing, with leaning on a clipboard. I questioned the teacher and she said that children prefer to sit on the floor! In other countries they do. I am not happy at all about it, children need a routine and their own workspace.

#2 chickendrumstick

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:20 PM

But what if it actually works?
I'd like that option as it gave me more opportunity to stretch my body when necessary and also to remove myself from sitting next to someone I may not like or who may be distracting or a bad influence.
The school year is less than two weeks in...why not give it a chance?

#3 libbylu

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:23 PM

Sounds like our school.  They have one two three composites and while there are some desks and chairs in the classrooms, there is not one for every kid in the classroom.  When there are writing tasks to do the kids go and find their own spot to write, so some will chose the floor, others will sit on the terrace and some will sit at a table or stand at the benches.
I am not sure about the older year levels though.

Edited by libbylu, 12 February 2013 - 10:24 PM.

#4 #YKG

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:32 PM

I came through we are discussing.

When I was in primary school (I'm 27) no one had individual desks at all we all shared a desk or they were grouped together, we also had beanbags and you could sit in them and do your work on a clipboard if you wished, it was all the classed from prep to 6 that had these. It was awesome and a hella lot more comfy then sitting on the hard plastic chairs and I found my shoulders would hurt because I hunched over my desk when sitting on a chair.

It can work and kids do like to sit on the floor, we had reading time where you had to be either on a bean bag or sitting on the floor in anway you wanted like lying down or sitting up against a wall or whatever. It was relaxing. I personally wouldn't be worried about the configuration.

#5 my4beautifulboys

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:37 PM

I feel that children need a routine and their own personal space in class, a work station that they organise and call it their own. I think there is a time for floor time, as a reward,  for free play for doing good work, or quiet reading, puzzle time or similar. Or of course class discussions.  I really dont think children can do their best work sitting on the floor leaning on a clipboard. Its going to be tiring and a strain on theyre backs too.

#6 CocobeanLillylove

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:41 PM

QUOTE (my3beautifulboys @ 12/02/2013, 11:37 PM)
15324045[/url]']
I feel that children need a routine and their own personal space in class, a work station that they organise and call it their own. I think there is a time for floor time, as a reward,  for free play for doing good work, or quiet reading, puzzle time or similar. Or of course class discussions.  I really dont think children can do their best work sitting on the floor leaning on a clipboard. Its going to be tiring and a strain on theyre backs too.

What indicates that there is no routine? Seating arrangements don't suggest if there is a routine or not.

#7 Foogle

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:43 PM

Sounds a bit Barbara Prashnig style to me and I think that's great.

An article for you to read.  

I like what Prashnig is doing within classrooms.  I first came across her a number of years ago in NZ and attended quite a few of her lectures and learning seminars.  

Don't discount a non-traditional classroom setup.  Many children find that it enhances their learning.

#8 my4beautifulboys

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:45 PM

The children that turn up to class in the mornings, tend to look abit Lost. They need their own desk to go to, to be able to sit down and read or colour in or just organise theyre pencils etc. I think that is routine for them.

#9 EssentialBludger

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:49 PM

I would personally find it a bit strange. I can't imagine sitting on the floor writing for extended periods of time and would find it uncomfortable. Beanbags would be cool though!

#10 roses99

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:54 PM

Is your child having a problem with it?

Or are you projecting your concerns about it onto your child?

I admit, it seems unconventional. But why not see how it goes?

I doubt the teacher is doing it for the fun of it. He/she has either found it's worked in the past or is trying something that might have merit.

When you say 'children need' this or that, you're only talking about one type of child. Kids all have different needs and learning styles.

#11 poss71

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:55 PM

Has the teacher explained to your children how it's supposed to work, and why she is doing it this way? That might help - not all children can just absorb a new situation and run with it...

They may be the classic desk learners and the traditional environment is just right for them. The teacher should be getting the children a little more involved in the process, IMO.

#12 libbylu

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:59 PM

QUOTE (my3beautifulboys @ 12/02/2013, 11:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The children that turn up to class in the mornings, tend to look abit Lost. They need their own desk to go to, to be able to sit down and read or colour in or just organise theyre pencils etc. I think that is routine for them.

Our DSs class routine is to sit in a circle as soon as the music plays (one minute before the bell) so they are ready for their 'community circle' time once the bell goes.  They really shouldn't be in the classroom much before this - if they arrive early they can play outside.  As soon as the bell goes they are all focused and ready to begin their first activity (which is always the same).
What is the class routine once the bell goes? - that's what counts really.

And kids don't write for extended periods in the lower grades. Different in the higher grades I guess.

#13 my4beautifulboys

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:01 PM

No Ds came home from school and said he couldnt really write well, he had this bench to write on and he couldnt get his chair near enough, to do good writing. I dont know really, we re going to be having a teacher/parent meeting this week, so perhaps i ll  know abit more then.

When i questioned her about it, she said that some children prefer to work on the floor. And that theyre trialling it for this term too see how it all goes.

#14 libbylu

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:12 PM

If he has a clear preference for a table and chair, then he should have the opportunity to use one, of course, he may just need to let his teacher know his preference.
Out of our four closest government primary schools, three have this flexible type of set up with few tables, lots of floor space, reading corners, art spaces, kitchens in the classroom, audiovisual/computer areas etc. - at least in their younger age classrooms.  Only one we looked at had traditional tables and chairs for all of the little ones.
I think you will find it is becoming the norm, along with approaches such as 'child-directed learning'.

#15 Expelliarmus

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:21 PM

I believe you have received an appropriate response in that case. It's a valid and legitimate learning set up and it is being done as a trial.

On what basis is the belief that children need their own table and work space to be successful?

That's a traditional arrangement but it certainly doesn't equate to success for all students.

Some students actually need something very different and will be unsuccessful when confined to a table and chair set up.

In my experience LOTS of children prefer to work on the floor. The vast majority in fact. It is also my experience that if students have their own table and chair and workspace not only do they spend an inordinate amount of time fighting over it but they find it incredibly difficult to move to another space to work and that can be crucial when working socially. Valuable learning time is wasted explaining to the student that they cannot work with their group if they insist that everyone sits in their 'own seats'.

I believe it needs a whole school approach however to make it work. Therefore my classroom is still a desk for every child. But I try to be relaxed about work spaces except for when they are doing handwriting or testing. It works for a great many lessons and I have clipboards available for students wishing to work on the floor. They are pretty much trained to work at their desks though. I hope they'll learn to be more flexible with their learning as the year goes on.

OP I think your DS needs to let the teacher know he is more comfortable at a desk and seek to actively use those spaces. If he's not getting access to them the teacher can assist.

#16 darcswan

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:33 PM

It's becoming popular in offices too.  Many businesses are adopting 'activity based working' - no fixed desks for workers, just different configurations of workspaces where you can go depending on what you're doing.  Macquarie were one of the first in Australia, but CBA, NAB, KPMG and many more have adopted it too.

An important part of the effectiveness of this approach is that workers have a choice of which space suits them.  Not all people do well sitting at desks for 6 hours a day.  Not all people like to tap away on their keyboards on the couch.  But this approach recognises and respects these differences.  When you're a child, its worth trying out different ways of working to see what suits you best.  

So OP... your posts speak in absolutes that are simply untrue.

#17 Bigfatbum

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:48 PM

That sounds like it would be perfect for my nearly 8 year old. I can see how it wouldn't be for everyone but I wish my school would trail it.

#18 Feralishous

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:48 PM

Id give it a try, but it wouldnt suit me personally. I like my own space for my things.

#19 Julie3Girls

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:44 AM

It sounds to me like the kids actually have a choice .. that there are some tables and chairs available for te kids?
In which case I would have no real problem with it as a trial, as long as the teacher is monitoring the situation and willing to change to meet the needs of the kids.

I admit, I'd be wanting to have the kids to all have access to a desk. While there are definitely times when sitting on the floor etc would be great, I think there are benefits to having a desk to sit out for writing tasks.  At that age, they tend to still be doing handwriting, as well as other writing tasks where I do think it would be better to have a desk and chair situation. I'd be interested in the ergonomics of it as well - sitting probably in a chair would be better for their back and posture wouldn't it?

I do like the idea of the classroom being a bit free flowing though.  I know my DD3's classroom is pretty flexible, and the teacher is definitely one to try out experimental ideas - she has a few kids with aspergers and ADHD. So she is trialing lots of things - like allowing a couple of the kids on medication to have snacks constantly on their desk. Hot water bottles (just cold water), as cushions on their seats to allow them a bit of motion on their seats. One child has elastic cord around the legs of his chair, to give his feet somewhere to sit and bounce, without sitting there thumping the floor with his feet.  Gives them the ability to get those jiggles out, rather than all their concentration going into just sittng still.
She suggested yesterday that all the kids in the class can bring just a normal cushion in for their seats, to make them more comfy.
They do have desks for everyone, but seating arrangements change a lot. They don't store things at their desk - they have a plastic tray over at the wall for all their books etc, and the teacher has name cards that she placing on the desks. She moves them around as needed. In fact, the whole school works this way.

So as long as there is a desk available for your child, and the kids understand that there is a CHOICE, if they want to sit at a table they can, I don't see a major problem with it.

#20 liveworkplay

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:50 AM

Whislt our primary school does have enough seats and table space for each child, they are big, shared tables. Even at high school no one has their own "desk"  You have a tub (primary) or locker (high school) and that's for storage. No personal desk space to set up like a work desk to be seen.

If it works, I would have no problem with it. We all know how ergonomically unsound most desk/chair work spaces are.

#21 Kay1

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:53 AM

My son would love this!! He hates sitting at a desk to work.

I do like the idea of the classroom being a bit free flowing though. I know my DD3's classroom is pretty flexible, and the teacher is definitely one to try out experimental ideas - she has a few kids with aspergers and ADHD. So she is trialing lots of things - like allowing a couple of the kids on medication to have snacks constantly on their desk. Hot water bottles (just cold water), as cushions on their seats to allow them a bit of motion on their seats. One child has elastic cord around the legs of his chair, to give his feet somewhere to sit and bounce, without sitting there thumping the floor with his feet. Gives them the ability to get those jiggles out, rather than all their concentration going into just sittng still.
She suggested yesterday that all the kids in the class can bring just a normal cushion in for their seats, to make them more comfy.

Wow!! I so wish we had that teacher at our school!

#22 EBeditor

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:42 AM

We have activity based working at Essential Baby too. I'd love a beanbag area!

#23 Sentient Puddle

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:48 AM

For formal writing activities - no.  DS has hand strength issues and must sit on a chair of a proper height paying attention to his posture and shifting weight when writing. The teacher encourages all children in class to do the same for all writing activities to improve everyones posture and core body strength.  For other listening or playing or thinking type activities fine.  Lying on the tummy pushing up etc is good for core body strength.

#24 Julie3Girls

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:00 AM

Wow!! I so wish we had that teacher at our school!

I am soooooo loving this teacher!!!

The parent info meeting was yesterday, and honestly, I'm just so impressed with her, and really looking forward to this year.  She is definitely one of those above and beyond teachers ... some of the ideas she has for the year, ways to engage the kids.  She is willing to try out so many new things.

#25 Banana Pancakes

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:20 AM

That kind of classroom would suit me and my ds perfectly. I hate sitting upright in uncomfortable chairs. Its one of the reasons I dont work in an office  biggrin.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Special Ticket Offer, Save $8!

The Essential Baby & Toddler Show is back this April! Save $8 off the door price for a limited time only!

Finding baby name inspiration in unusual places

Sometimes the greatest baby name ideas come from the most unexpected places, as these EB members show.

The case for inducing at 37 weeks

While we often think of pregnancy as a 40 week affair, experts agree that 37 weeks is actually “full term". So is there an argument for inducing all births at 37 weeks?

Does controlled crying really work?

Controlled-crying techniques may help some babies sleep through the night, but for many exhausted new parents, it's just a recipe for more tears all round.

How I taught my infant to use a toilet

As people become more aware of these benefits, I hope more parents will practice this method, so we can cut down on nappies and improve baby bonding.

'I thought it was impossible': Emily Symons pregnant at 45

Aussie actress Emily Symons has announced she is pregnant with her first baby.

Shallow water blackout kills fit, healthy dad

A little girl will grow up without her father after the fit and healthy 34-year-old passed away while doing something he had practised his whole life.

Afternoon naps may be bad for toddlers' sleep

You could be doing yourself a disservice by encouraging your toddler to have an afternoon nap, according to new research.

Best gifts for newborns, new mums and christenings

We've compiled a guide to some of the most popular presents for newborns and new mums, and for christenings and naming days.

Jaime King to be a mum again

Actress Jaime King is pregnant with her second child, giving 16-month-old James a sibling.

Nannies should receive government funding

The Abbott government should extend funding to nannies, and direct childcare payments to low and middle income families, a landmark study on childcare has found. 

Common skin irritations in newborns (and how to treat them)

As many as one in two newborn babies suffer from skin irritations in their first few weeks. So what are the most common rashes and irritations to look out for?

10 wall decals for the nursery or playroom

Wall decals are the answer to creating a beautiful nursery or children's space without lifting a paint brush, a spirit level or even a hammer.

Preschooler walks 2.4km home alone

Three-year-old Cain Trainor headed off home after his first day at a new preschool without telling anyone.

Video: Why mums get nothing done

In spite of being in an almost constant state of motion while looking after the kids and trying to keep things together at home, it can seem as though parents have managed to get nothing on the to-do list done by the end of the day.

The middle name game

The middle name is no longer an afterthought, and parents' inspiration comes from many places.

Have a baby or your money back - but there's a catch

A new IVF scheme offers couples the chance to fall pregnant and give birth - or get their money back. But there's more to it than you might think.

A rare glimpse inside the womb

A baby born still inside the amniotic sac gave US doctors a rare glimpse at life inside the womb.

Battered mum forced to write to her attacker ex in jail

Three years ago Jason Hughes viciously attacked his ex-partner. Now she has to write to him three times a year.

Woman pleads not guilty to ultrasound scam

A West Australian woman will fight allegations that she scammed expectant mums by selling them fake ultrasound pictures of babies.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Brain damaged mum receives compensation

A Sydney mother who suffered brain damage when she was hit by a car while pushing her newborn baby in a pram has reached a confidential out-of-court settlement with the driver's insurance company.

Indigenous midwives break down the barriers

A culturally sensitive midwifery service has gained the trust and respect of Aboriginal women.

The Katering Show's next big delivery

Most mums-to-be plan to take things easy and perhaps have a little break from work as the birth of their baby draws near. Not Kate McCartney.

53 creative pregnancy announcements

Announcing that you're expecting can be a time to express your creativity, sense of humour and imagination. Check out how other parents and parents-to-be have broken the news to friends and family.

Why I have mixed feelings about Cindy Crawford's leaked photo

Last week an un-retouched photo of model Cindy Crawford surfaced, showing the 48-year-old mother-of -two posing in underwear.

How to create a Peppa Pig pancake

Thought your toddler could not love pancakes any more than they already do? How about if the breakfast treat came in the shape of every two-year-old's favourite cartoon character?

'It's a little life, not a little loss': pregnancy after miscarriage

I thought I was never going to be able to have a successful pregnancy. I decided that I wasn't going to form an emotional attachment with this baby.

Bonds Baby Search 2015: what you need to know

February 18 marks the start of one of the most prolific annual baby competitions in Australia: the Bonds Baby Search. And this year is going to be more special than ever.

Who will manage your Facebook account when you're gone?

This is not something that people like to talk about, but Facebook has announced that it will grant users more control over what happens to their pages after they die.

Struggling mum of four wins $188 million

Mother of four Marie Holmes was financially struggling after quitting her jobs at Walmart and McDonald's in order to care for her children.

Pregnant obese women a 'relatively new problem', coroner hears

A first-time mother whose daughter died hours after her frightening birth insists she was never told of the risks of being obese and pregnant.

'I'm angry as hell': the story behind mum's passionate vaccination plea

She has labelled parents who do not vaccinate their children "misinformed imbeciles" - and for that, she makes no apologies.

IKEA hacks for the nursery and kids' rooms

Are you one of those that know the whole IKEA catalogue by heart? Love their stuff but want to personalise it? Here's some inspiration to help you realise the potential of IKEA furniture and fittings.

8 different kinds of tantrums

I never thought I’d say this, but for a brief moment last week, Kim Kardashian and I had something in common: both our kids had public tantrums.

Polycystic ovary syndrome: symptoms, treatment and your fertility

Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is the most common female hormonal condition, affecting roughly one in 12 Australian women.

What's the best position for giving birth?

If doing it on your back is out, what's the best position for labour and birth?

Wife forgives snake catcher husband for car surprise

With Valentine's Day coming up, Nat Gilbert could be forgiven for thinking her husband might be planning a surprise for her.

Kids who meet milestones at their own pace

We usually only hear the success stories: tales of the two-year-old who’s talking, running and completely toilet trained. But other stories need to be told too.

Ruby shines as Bonds Baby

Sarah Kiss has a word of advice for proud mums and dads who are keen to enter their babies in this year's Bonds Baby Search Competition - just have fun.

Why dads should go to sleep school

If your family needs to go to sleep school, go with them. You are part of that family and you are part of the solution.

36 baby names inspired by food and drinks

A French court may have ruled out Nutella as a baby name, but that doesn't have to stop you from taking inspiration from the supermarket (or bottle shop). See what parents in the US have chosen for their delicious little ones.

Clever breastfeeding products

Check out this range of products designed to help make your breastfeeding journey more enjoyable, manageable and convenient.

Win a KitchenAid Mixer

Let's celebrate 300,000 fans on Facebook

To celebrate, and to thank our amazing fans, we?re giving away a KitchenAid Artisan Tilt-Head Stand Mixer.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.