8 year old sleepover party

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Funwith3

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:29 PM

DD1 is having a sleepover party for her 8th birthday. I will have 5 little seven and eight year olds in my house from 3pm on a Saturday, and they're getting picked up at 11am on the Sunday.

It's just dawned on me that they'll all be here for a pretty long time!!

Saturday afternoon - what fun activities can I plan? Something not too babyish, something fun, but cheap or free. I don't want to take them anywhere, just want some ideas of fun things for girls to do at home. Any craft ideas? Games?

At some point we'll go out and pick a couple of DVDs which they can watch after dinner. Dinner will be either fish and chips, spaghetti bolognaise, or a mixture of finger foods such as sausage rolls, sandwiches etc. Plus of course, the birthday cake.

All the kids will sleep together in the lounge room.

My Sunday morning plans are to do a pancake breakfast with hot chocolates. I imagine they'll just play in the morning and by the time breakfast is over, and they're dressed and packed, their parents will be here to get them.

Should I be doing anything else? Have you got any ideas or lovely touches?

#2 knittingkitten

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:36 PM

Jewellery making? The bits and pieces to make necklaces or bracelets don't need to be expensive...
Cupcake decorating?
Twister?

Edited by knittingkitten, 12 February 2013 - 09:38 PM.

#3 anotherid

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:09 PM

Have you sent out the invites yet? If so have you received rsvp's?

To me that is far to long for a birthday party. It takes up so much of the weekend. I wouldn't personally want my child to go to a party that lasts that long at such a young age.

#4 ~kuddlebug~

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:17 PM

The chocolate game is one of my favourite party games. You have a table and chair, knife and fork and a block of chocolate. Everyone sits in a circle around the table and roll a die. The first to get a 6 gets to try and cut off some chocolate before the next 6 comes up. And to make it more fun, you have to put an apron, hat and gloves (or other dress ups!!) before you start cutting. Any chocolate you cut you can eat, but if you don't get it cut before the next 6 is rolled that's it!!

I'd do party games in the afternoon that will tire them out (obstacle course, musical chairs, statues etc) so they're nice and tired and sleep, and have another movie for the morning too. Enjoy, I started going to sleepovers at 7 and they were so much fun!!

#5 aprilrain

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:22 PM

Yep, I'd do 5pm til 9am. Those little darlings will natter until at least 12 and be awake at the crack of dawn!! Shoo them off as early as possible and then YOU can go back to bed biggrin.gif

Pedicure,Manicures
Silly Hairdos
Treasure hunt in the garden
Scavenger hunt
Get out WII zumba or some zumba Dvds to fool around in front off
Sing star - Abba is good cause they will be amazed that you know all the words!
Make piklets - put the batter in a sqeezy sauce bottle and they can make their initials etc.

#6 Feral Grey Mare

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:23 PM

The timing and the numbers sound very manageable to me. How about dress up clothes and a supply of cheap make-up for them to paint themselves with. While I don't agree with formal make-up parties for little kids it is an entirely different thing if you just let them go crazy themselves. Try the local op-shop (if you want to be really cruel.....) for some dress up type clothes -

#7 Kafkaesque

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:30 PM

I recently had 9 girls aged 6-9 years sleep over they came at 3pm and left at 10am. It was perfect. Craft with that many I thought was too hard so I just bought some jumbo chalk and let rhem go wild on the back pavers. They did that for literally hours. I also gave them two buckets and jumbo sponges and they had relay races to see who could transfer water from one bucket to another using the sponges. Again did that for ages.

After dinner we had glow sticks, a pack of 100,which they made bracelets and then turned off the lights and had a disco. About 9.30 I put on a movie. They were all asleep by midnight.

Was a fanatic night.

#8 lovemekids

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:01 PM

We had a sleep over for our daughter, it was great fun and simple - Pizza and movies is always a winner! I bought some sleep over themed decorations from Birthdays Wrapped Up. The biggest hit was a door decoration that dangled at the entrance, it made the sleep over extra girly.

Hope you have fun with yours original.gif

#9 *dreamer*

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:54 PM

I had five 8 year olds at ours about a month ago from 3 until 10.   I honestly wouldn't be too worried about games unless you live in a small flat.   They just ran around like idiots for hours.  Nothing structured.   They literally spent hours making up plays and musical numbers which they performed for DH and I.

I think the less you need to organise the more bearable it is.

ETA - they also took up a lot of time planning their midnight feast..... and then of course fell asleep and slept right through. original.gif

Edited by *dreamer*, 26 February 2013 - 02:58 PM.

#10 EsmeLennox

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:56 PM

Cupcake decorating, jewellery making and mini-manicures sprang to mind for me. Then plop them in front of a couple of good 'girly' movies in the evening.

#11 bebe12

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:10 PM

hi,

At DD's party we had balloon races. They put a balloon between thier legs and had to jump, waddle to other end turn around and sit on balloon until it broke.  They played this game for and hour.  Though its a bit messy, it was great fun.

Pinata was good too.  You can make or buy one, and as you will need lollies for midnight feast this can be the place they earn them from.

I set up a table for making necklaces, bracelets and door hangers.  I just use all my craft stuff.  The girls love keeping them and they each made one for there mum too, which kept them interested for longer.

As PP said they will amuse themselves.

#12 Anemonefish

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:13 PM

My DD had a sleepover party with 3 of her closest friends for her 9th birthday. It was the easiest party ever and DD and her friends had a great time. We made cupcakes, which they all helped with, and then they each decorated their own cupcakes. Dinner was 'make your own pizzas'. They watched a movie after dinner. In the morning, they made their own ribbon hair ties (similar to this)

The rest of the time, they were happy to just play in DD's room and in the garden. I had some of those stick-on nail sets handy in case another activity was needed, but we didn't end up using them. And they lost interest in the hair ties pretty quickly - they just wanted to play. One of her friends got picked up at 11am the next morning, the other 2 stayed well into the afternoon, they played and entertained themselves so it was fine.

Edited to fix link.

Edited by Anemonefish, 26 February 2013 - 03:16 PM.

#13 Julie3Girls

Posted 02 March 2013 - 04:46 PM

I'd be tempted to make the time frame a little shorter. Probably 4-10.

Both my girls had a sleepover party for their 9th birthdays.

Activities ...
Dd1
Buy a pile of plain white pillowcases and a pack or two of fabric markers. Let them decorate their own pillowcase. huge hit with the kids, they all changed their pillowcases over once they were done. This took them a fair while, they were happy just to talk etc until dinner
Dinner was takeout pizza,  they sat on the floor to eat.
Then birthday cake, with make your ice team sundaes for dessert.  Just a couple of scoops of ice cream, and they could add they own other stuff - sprinkles, choc chips, mini m&ms, strawberries, whipped cream etc.

After food, kicked them all in the back room. Gave them each their party bags at this point, which contained lollies (snacks for the movie), glow sticks, small led torch. And they really just entertained themselves with music, and then movies.

Dd2
Started a bit earlier because hers was summer, and we have a pool.
So they swam, dinner was nibbly food like nuggets party pies etc.
After dinner, we took them for a walk around the block to an a street that had unreal Christmas lights.
Then let them entertain themselves with movies etc.

I like 10 as a pick up time, because its meant most were gone by 10:30, leaving us the day to recover.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to tell if your child has a speech or language problem

Left untreated, children who start school with speech and language difficulties face an increased risk of reading and writing difficulties, more bullying, poorer peer relationships and less enjoyment of school. So, what should parents expect of children at different ages?

Finding your tribe as a new mum

How was my renegade mother's group different from my first? They were my kind of people. My tribe.

Following your child's emotional roadmap

Psychologist Angharad Candlin will guide parents through their child's emotional development during her seminar at the Essential Baby and Toddler Show in Sydney this weekend.

Delivery room surprises: when gender predictions are wrong

Out of all the questions asked of mums-to-be, “Do you know what you're having?” would be right up there in popularity. Sometimes,

The fertility battle we don't talk about

“You’re nowhere near menopausal,” my doctor cheerily informed me, and my heart sank. I don’t want to live with worry about pregnancy anymore.

'My morning sickness was so bad I'm not having any more kids'

“All the horrible stuff was totally worth it to have my son. But there is absolutely no way I could go through it all again.”

The 'no children' wedding invite

It was the wedding of one of my oldest and dearest friends, and she had invited me to be her bridesmaid. It was quite an honour. But there was one problem.

Baby Dylan recovering well after spending five days alone

For up to five days he lay alone after his mother died of a suspected drug overdose, but eight-month-old Dylan Micallef has made an incredible recovery.

Win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher

Fill out this quick survey and tell us in 25 words or less your best pregnancy or parenting tip - you'll go in the draw to win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher.

The mystery of William Tyrell, little boy lost

The question remains: How does a little boy simply vanish without a trace?

Woman fights off robber, then gives birth

A thief in the US got more than he bargained for when he try to rob a woman who was nine months pregnant because he figured she would be an easy target.

Video: Two-year-old tells mum off for laughing at her

This little girl is not happy that her mum started laughing during her performance - so she tells her exactly how she feels about it.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Losing yourself to motherhood

While watching your baby grow into a unique little person is exciting and wondrous, the intensity of meeting everyone else?s needs can ever so sneakily overtake your own needs for self-care.

Tearing during delivery: the facts

Almost all women will experience bruising, grazing or tearing after a vaginal birth. Depending on the degree of tearing, there are various treatments available.

6 tips for a day out with a baby and toddler

Outings can be lots of fun with the kids, but there are inevitable challenges. Here's some information about days out to help you be a little more prepared.

Why I invited a dozen people to watch my son's birth

I sent invitations on burgundy scrapbooking paper stamped with a field of poppies, and told each person why I wanted him or her there. I warned that there would be nudity.

Getting labour started: tips for a natural induction

When your baby?s due date comes and goes without so much as a pop - let alone a bang - it can be disheartening. Mums and a doula share their stories of natural inductions.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

That's my boy: a dad's diary of the first 4 months

Unbearable anxiety, unspeakable joy, constant exhaustion and bouts of frustration ... The many shocks of first-time fatherhood resound in a dad's diary of his son's early months.

One of the most important things a new mum can do

Finances may not be as cute as a newborn, but with many women?s working arrangements changing post-baby, monetary matters need attention too.

Does this baby say 'I love you'?

She's only 10 weeks old, but this baby is already dividing people around the world.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

My Wellbeing

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.