Has anyone ever settled on a name they weren't inlove with?

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 MotherMonkey

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:29 PM

My husband & I named our son Malakai (Malachy): God's messenger, which is a very old Hebrew name, more common in Ireland etc but which we just love. Now we are expecting our second bub & CANNOT think of another name (girls names are fine, it's just the boys...)
We've been trying to find another slightly unique/unusual one to go with our first son but cannot agree on anything.
At the moment Adekin (a derivative of Adam: of the red earth) is a consideration but we are doing our best to avoid being the couple with the 'strange named children' wink.gif
I do like more 'normal' names like Gideon & Faegan (much to my husband's disgust as he just thinks of the old guy from 'Oliver') but the hubby has vetoed these.  
I am really worried that we (me in particular!!) will eventually just settle on a name that neither of us are in love with...has anyone else ever done this?
I know you can never please everyone but I'd really like to give my children beautiful names that reflect their individuality but not have people give us those strange looks & the typical "Oooh, that's unusual, where does that name come from...?"

Edited by MotherMonkey, 12 February 2013 - 03:29 PM.

#2 R2B2

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:32 PM

Yes, I settled with our first. I still don't love his name. at all.

don't settle if you can avoid it wink.gif

Adekin is cool for what its worth.

#3 Futhermore

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:33 PM

I really didn't love the name Reuben for my son, but couldn't find anything I liked better.  It was really just the best of a bad bunch.  Now I like it, but more importantly, he likes it :-)  (He is seven now)

Edited by ~maryanne~, 12 February 2013 - 03:40 PM.

#4 TinyTeddys

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:35 PM

DS1- We both loved it.
DS2- I LOVE it, DH said a few months back its still growing on him but it but he loves the NN it has.
DS3- DH loves it, I settled and still have doubts about it.

Sorry, your names are NMS. Good luck!!

#5 heart-beat

QUOTE (MotherMonkey @ 12/02/2013, 04:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
(me in particular!!) will eventually just settle on a name that neither of us are I'm not in love with...has anyone else ever done this?
Me. I didn't love DS2's name, still don't. But it's grown on me over time.

#6 Ice Queen

Yes, we settled for my DS's name as my DH and I couldnt agree.  There was a boys name I loved but I had to forget it as my DH just wasn't into it.

Anyway my DS is who he is now and I wouldn't change it for the world.  biggrin.gif

#7 lactasticmama

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:37 PM

Yes sad.gif

I settled with DD3's name (Remi). I'm still not in love with it, and very much regret using it. I do like her name, but would have preferred something else. Her name was my husbands pick, he loves her name. She wasn't named till she was 10 days old, and even then I feel we rushed into it.

Every day I think about how much I regret using it.

If he offered to change it tomorrow, I would.

#8 Lokum

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:37 PM

Our first DS. We had a short list of names we really liked, but none was a stand out winner.

We practised calling the foetus these names for 4 weeks at a time, and still they were a bit meh. We narrowed it down to one, and when he was born and they asked what we were calling him, we said, 'oh, I spose it'll have to be XYZ, in the absence of anything better.'

He has grown into it, and we adore it and it suits him. It's possible we were over-thinking it. I mean, you can't really pick a name which reflects your kid's individuality when they're not yet born. You could call a kid Felix and they turn out to be Mr Serious, or Bruce who turns into a flaming queen when he grows up.

Better pick something you both like, no creative spelling, easily pronounced and not offensive.

(Our second DS has a name DH loves and I absolutely adore, and that's the one which people generally respond to with one quirked eyebrow and, 'Is that a family name? What made you choose that?')

#9 tres-chic

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:38 PM

I do love all our kids names but it was an exercise in compromise.

Sometimes there are more important factors than just 'loving it'. Fitting with the surname, finding something original, etc.

Good luck.

#10 overthehill

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:38 PM

QUOTE (Ehill @ 12/02/2013, 04:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, we settled for my DS's name as my DH and I couldnt agree.  There was a boys name I loved but I had to forget it as my DH just wasn't into it.  Anyway my DS is who he is now and I wouldn't change it for the world.  biggrin.gif

This.
I don't love my sons name especially as its becoming more common day by day. But my DH wouldn't budge so what could I do :0(

#11 twin2

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:41 PM

I didnt like DS name that DH picked for him  at all. We compromised and I picked DD name and DH selected DS name (we had b/g twins) . I am so glad that we did as DS is the spitting image of his Dad and his name really suits him.(PS Still dont like the name but on DS it works)

Hope this helps

#12 lactasticmama

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:43 PM

QUOTE (overthehill @ 12/02/2013, 04:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't love my sons name especially as its becoming more common day by day. But my DH wouldn't budge so what could I do :0(

Same. I've heard of 3 other Remi's in my town since my dd was born. I try so hard picking a name that is uncommon, but soon after I hear them everywhere. Annoys me no end (happened with my other 3 too). Not saying I own their names, it's just so disappointing. Makes the regret even more prominent.

#13 Tikiboo16

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:43 PM

I love DD's name.. but had she been a boy we would have settled. DH and I just could not find a boy's name that worked for us. After months of to and fro, we settled on something we were both a bit 'meh' about. Good thing she was a girl original.gif

#14 Peppery

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:49 PM

DD's father picked her name, well he told me two names he liked and i picked between those. I can't say  i absolutely love her name but i don't give it much thought.

#15 Quack Quack

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:51 PM

I have nothing to offer except... I have a son called Malakai... you have great taste wink.gif

#16 namie

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:54 PM

Yes. I was a bit 'meh' about DS1s name when I gave birth. But when the midwife asked his name 'Andrew Lachlan' was all we had so that was it. It was very strange calling him Andrew for the first few months and I constantly wished we'd called him something different but since I had no other suggestions, it was done and dusted.

Now, I love it and can't imagine him being called anything else (he's almost 3.5yrs)

#17 kpingitquiet

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:00 PM

I have a distinct fear of this as I chose kiddo's name sometime around my 10th birthday and never swayed from it. I can't imagine finding another name I'll love as much.

Good luck!

#18 snortle

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:00 PM

-

Edited by snortle, 20 May 2014 - 09:31 PM.

#19 MotherMonkey

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:26 PM

QUOTE (5*little*ducks @ 12/02/2013, 04:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have nothing to offer except... I have a son called Malakai... you have great taste wink.gif

Ah-ha, great job!! As I said, we think it's BEAUTIFUL wink.gif So you don't have any thoughts on sibling names then if we share the same taste?

PippityRoo - I think your children's names are just lovely.

Thank you so much for your responses everyone, I really think as mothers we just find a way to beat ourselves up sometimes!! I'm sure we could give our children hideous names & they would still be the most beautiful things in the world to us, I'm just being pedantic *lol*

#20 BadgerBasher

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:48 PM

Yes, sort of.
Bean was supposed to be Innogen Constance.

And then I let my mum get to me. Regretted, deeply.

I suspect that if we have a boy DP and I will have to put our compromise hats on because at 39 weeks we still didn't have a boys name.

#21 Kay1

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:41 PM

I had three boys. We had no doubt at all about DS1's name. We both loved it and agreed on it as soon as I found out I was pregnant. DS2 was really hard. We came up with one at 20 weeks after much discussion. We both loved it but then we started to consider another (similar name). Over the next 20 weeks we went back and forth between the two. Eventually we settled on the second name. I do love it but its not as brave as the original name and even after he was born I was unsure but DH pushed me into committing to it so he could make the announcements. I have to say though that the kid he is, his name suits him to a T and he is SOOOOO not a Theodore (the original name).

With DS3 the only name I loved was Theodore but we couldn't use it because its too similar to DS2's name so it was back to the drawing board.  We knew he was a boy and I suggested his name at 12 weeks. Between then and his birth we were unable to come up with anything else we liked more (despite HOURS of searching). We also spoke to DS1 about names and as soon as he heard the one I'd suggested he was 100% adamant that that was the baby's name and wouldn't consider anything else. He got quite upset when he heard us discussing names as he was so set on the name. So that's what we used. I don't love it as much as I did DS1's but I am happy with it. Its a good name and I think it suits DS3 but it is more mainstream than I ever thought I'd use. But that's what happens when you have to come up with three names of the same gender!

Edited by Kay1, 12 February 2013 - 06:44 PM.

#22 LwOols

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:37 PM

Our eldest have the same name! Ours is spelt different but essentially the same name and we love it too. If it is any help my other two sons are Seth and Torren.

#23 Alpha_Chook

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:44 PM

DP chose Eamons name, while I didn't really like it at first I now love it and it definitely suits him

#24 littlepoppet

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:53 PM

We had no trouble deciding on names for our first two children. We still love their names!

Our third child (second boy) proved a lot more difficult to name. We pretty much had to compromise as we just were not on the same page in name taste at all. I actually pushed for this name but it was my husband who adjusted to it sooner. Even up until our boy turned 1ish (he's only 14 months now) I was second guessing myself and wondering if we'd made the right choice or whether we should change it. Recently, I have come to absolutely adore his name. It's very gentle but masculine (if that makes sense!). It's suits him perfectly and I am soooo glad we gave this particular name to him. I love it easily as much as the names we gave our other children.

My advice to you would be to not let anyone else (outside of you and your husband) influence your decision as it's a very personal one.

#25 gemgirl

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:02 PM

We both love our boy name. I suggested our girl name, but it was on a list of names I LOVE and names I like. I like it. DP didn't love any of the ones I loved, but she loves our girl selection. I am not sure if I love it, I am pretty sure I can grow to love it. I think if one has different taste to their partner, there will always be some compromise. We could have a name I love,or she loves, but a name we both love might be harder. I am amazed we managed it for a boy

Edited by gemgirl, 12 February 2013 - 08:06 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to tell if your child has a speech or language problem

Left untreated, children who start school with speech and language difficulties face an increased risk of reading and writing difficulties, more bullying, poorer peer relationships and less enjoyment of school. So, what should parents expect of children at different ages?

Finding your tribe as a new mum

How was my renegade mother's group different from my first? They were my kind of people. My tribe.

Following your child's emotional roadmap

Psychologist Angharad Candlin will guide parents through their child's emotional development during her seminar at the Essential Baby and Toddler Show in Sydney this weekend.

Delivery room surprises: when gender predictions are wrong

Out of all the questions asked of mums-to-be, “Do you know what you're having?” would be right up there in popularity. Sometimes,

The fertility battle we don't talk about

“You’re nowhere near menopausal,” my doctor cheerily informed me, and my heart sank. I don’t want to live with worry about pregnancy anymore.

'My morning sickness was so bad I'm not having any more kids'

“All the horrible stuff was totally worth it to have my son. But there is absolutely no way I could go through it all again.”

The 'no children' wedding invite

It was the wedding of one of my oldest and dearest friends, and she had invited me to be her bridesmaid. It was quite an honour. But there was one problem.

Baby Dylan recovering well after spending five days alone

For up to five days he lay alone after his mother died of a suspected drug overdose, but eight-month-old Dylan Micallef has made an incredible recovery.

Win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher

Fill out this quick survey and tell us in 25 words or less your best pregnancy or parenting tip - you'll go in the draw to win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher.

The mystery of William Tyrell, little boy lost

The question remains: How does a little boy simply vanish without a trace?

Woman fights off robber, then gives birth

A thief in the US got more than he bargained for when he try to rob a woman who was nine months pregnant because he figured she would be an easy target.

Video: Two-year-old tells mum off for laughing at her

This little girl is not happy that her mum started laughing during her performance - so she tells her exactly how she feels about it.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Losing yourself to motherhood

While watching your baby grow into a unique little person is exciting and wondrous, the intensity of meeting everyone else?s needs can ever so sneakily overtake your own needs for self-care.

Tearing during delivery: the facts

Almost all women will experience bruising, grazing or tearing after a vaginal birth. Depending on the degree of tearing, there are various treatments available.

6 tips for a day out with a baby and toddler

Outings can be lots of fun with the kids, but there are inevitable challenges. Here's some information about days out to help you be a little more prepared.

Why I invited a dozen people to watch my son's birth

I sent invitations on burgundy scrapbooking paper stamped with a field of poppies, and told each person why I wanted him or her there. I warned that there would be nudity.

Getting labour started: tips for a natural induction

When your baby?s due date comes and goes without so much as a pop - let alone a bang - it can be disheartening. Mums and a doula share their stories of natural inductions.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

That's my boy: a dad's diary of the first 4 months

Unbearable anxiety, unspeakable joy, constant exhaustion and bouts of frustration ... The many shocks of first-time fatherhood resound in a dad's diary of his son's early months.

One of the most important things a new mum can do

Finances may not be as cute as a newborn, but with many women?s working arrangements changing post-baby, monetary matters need attention too.

Does this baby say 'I love you'?

She's only 10 weeks old, but this baby is already dividing people around the world.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

My Wellbeing

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.