If you eat meat...
Would you eat any animal?

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 jo-v

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:54 PM

There's uproar in the UK at the moment as horse meat has been found in a number of products. I can understand why people are upset as they didn't know it was there so it wasn't their choice to eat it.

Personally, while I wouldn't eat the low grade stuff that has been talked about (frozen lasagne, cheap burgers etc.) I would have no problem eating a horse steak.  I've travelled in Africa and eaten various game including croc and impala.  To me meat is meat, if you eat one animal whats the difference with eating another?  Dog and cat would make me hesitate because of the pet angle but if my life depended on it I would probably eat them....

For the record I don't mean I would go out and kill a random animal for dinner but if I was in a country where it was the norm to eat it, I would give it a try.

(hopes nobody from the pet forum pops in).

#2 steppy

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:56 PM

Wouldn't bother me at all. I've heard of worse things than horses being in pre-prepared meals. There are animals I draw the line at - like monkeys, dolphin, whale - but lets be clear here - I mean, I draw the line while I am not starving and able to get food easily. I'm not sure where the line stops if I'm starving to death. I've heard of people eating week old roadkill under those conditions.

#3 ~sydblue~

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:56 PM

I suppose depending on where you are, you adapt to the lifestyle and food choices there.
I would probably try anything if hungry enough.

#4 kpingitquiet

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:01 PM

My sister was really distressed as she's a horse rescuer. Me, I have a hard time distinguishing between types of meat, ethically. I don't really have a problem eating anything that isn't endangered. I also have no problem going years without touching any meat at all. I DO take issue with "mystery" meats such as this. You should always be allowed to know exactly what is contained in your purchased food.

#5 DK3000

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:02 PM

I think one of the issues with this scandal, though, is that the horses used weren't subject to the same standards regarding health and medicines used as beef cattle would be, so could pose a higher health risks than 'regular' meat.

#6 Feral-Lausii

I have eaten horse meat, very similar to beef. So no doesn't bother me.

#7 Guest_Sunnycat_*

I've been reading about this and don't get the uproar. I understand that the horse meat was contaminated though so I can see why people are upset about that. I can also understand beg upset at thinking you're eating something and it's actually something else.

I don't have a problem eating any animal animal....except my pets and endangered or "exotic" animals. I could never eat whale meat or a tiger.

So I guess I contradict myself, as I only would really eat farm animals and seafood.

Edited by Sunnycat, 12 February 2013 - 03:04 PM.

#8 amabanana

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:03 PM

I don't see any difference between a cow and a horse (in terms of meat).  It wouldn't phase me at all if someone told me I'd eaten horse as I've already tried it in the past.  I would be angry though if it was mislabeled as that is deception/fraud.

The list of things I have eaten will probably see me lynch mobbed so I'm not going to go there.  wink.gif

#9 MrsLexiK

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:03 PM

No I wouldn't, but I don't eat all animals anyway.  I eat some beef, chicken, fish, kangeroo, and have tried crocodile (If i lived somewhere north I would probably eat more crocodile when out at resutrants) I don't eat much pork, I don't eat lamb or veal.  I wouldn't try horse but it is probably because of the pet eliment for me.

#10 Ranunculus

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:05 PM

Stupid question.. but why don't we eat horse meat? Do they not taste good?

#11 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:10 PM

was this in Britain? Id probably prefer to eat horse there than beef anyway...

I wouldnt eat cats, cause I like them....same as dogs. I wouldnt eat shark...but thats a weird "karma" like thing for me - if I dont eat them they wont eat me......(Im not pretending it makes sense!)

#12 Foogle

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:14 PM

QUOTE (G.K @ 12/02/2013, 04:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't know about horse but I want to know why everyone (in my immediate family - DH I'm looking at you) have an issue with rabbit.

We were virtually raised on rabbit where I grew up.  It's fabulous and when I first visited my relatives in Germany when I was a young teen, what did we get for dinner for that first night in Berlin?  An absolutely beautifully cooked rabbit with mustard sauce and the most outstanding dumplings.

I have noticed that my local butcher is starting to stock a few rabbits and I've been buying them.  I luurve rabbit.

Anyone else a rabbit lover?  original.gif

#13 TheGreenSheep

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:14 PM

Am I the only one who thinks when I see mass produced pies that they contain horse, goats and camels?? Another reason I dont eat pies as most of its unidentifiable offal. But thats totally unfounded, just the way my mind thinks.

And no I wouldnt be put off by eating horse meat. I have eaten a range of different animal meats. Id just like to know that its in my mince or burger etc.

#14 la di dah

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:15 PM

For religious reasons, I'll eat beef/lamb/chicken, but not pork/kangaroo/horse. I'll eat salmon but not prawns. I would be pretty mad about the mislabelling.

I'm thinking of giving up meat altogether for the ease/assuredness of it, but I don't think of all meat as interchangeable.

#15 kpingitquiet

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:15 PM

QUOTE (G.K @ 12/02/2013, 03:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

To the best of my knowledge, it's kind of a leftover cultural thing from when horses were primary forms of transport and livelihood. You'd have to be pretty hard up to eat your car, right? So it just got programmed out of us. That and they are treated in a very personal/domestic fashion, not unlike dogs. Other cultures don't have the same taboos.

#16 TheGreenSheep

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:16 PM

QUOTE (Foogle @ 12/02/2013, 04:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anyone else a rabbit lover?  original.gif

Dont mind rabbit, just thought it was a tad funny to be served rabbit at easter, being the easter bunny and all, but no one seemed to bat an eyelid or see the humour in it. They all ate with gusto.

#17 liveworkplay

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:17 PM

As long as it wasn't endangered and fit for human consumption (eg no harmful drugs etc injected) then I do not see the difference between cow and horse, guinea pig or dog.

I think the problem with the recent British scandal was that it was not stated. It's all cultural. Most other European countries would not have batter an eyelid at consuming horse.

#18 ~Supernova~

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:18 PM

Hmm I'm not sure. I am happy to eat animals that are bred for food, not so happy to eat what in my head is a "pet". I love horses, so would prefer to not eat them lol same goes for cats and dogs. If I were starving and they were the only food source around? Completely different story.

#19 BadCat

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:21 PM

I prefer to eat the standard cow, pig, chicken, sheep.  But I have eaten croc, ostrich, gazelle and roo.

I admit I do find it harder to consider eating cuddly pet animal types of meat.  I would if I were hungry and it was all that was on offer though.  Meat is meat after all.

Not rats though.  Don't feed me rat unless I'm on the verge of death because eeeeewwww rats.  sick.gif

#20 Gel_Bel

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:23 PM

I have no problem eating different meats, some I like, some I don't. I'm sure if I was starving I would also have no problem hunting for meat...I have a problem buying something labeled as beef and it turning out to be horse. And worse still, horse which could potentially make me sick...

#21 steppy

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:23 PM

I had an ex whose sister was a health inspector. This is why I do not eat dim sims and rarely eat pies etc.

#22 Meagan

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:26 PM

I would not be happy with the labels not being correct, but I have no issue eating any meat - so far!  I've had shark, frogs legs, snails, goat, croc, kangaroo, rabbit, whicity grubs (I have no idea how to spell it! We had a large aboriginal population at our school & native foods was part of my education) along with the standard beef, pork, chicken, fish.  I'll try anything once, but I think I would not eat endangered animals.

#23 la di dah

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:29 PM

QUOTE (Madame Protart @ 12/02/2013, 04:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For religious reasons you won't eat kangaroo?  I saw the other day you said you won't eat meat and dairy together (is that right?) for religious reasons.  Is there a quick explanation you wouldn't mind sharing?

Quickest? "Jew." roll2.gif

Kangaroo isn't kosher. It has not got the required physical features for a mammal to be kosher, specifically cloven hooves AND chewing their cud. I don't honestly know if a kangaroo chews its cud but it has big ol' paws. Seafood has other rules. There are no kosher reptiles/amphibians.

Meat (well, red meat or poultry, fish is okay) and dairy aren't eaten together because of a commandment in Leviticus about it being [not the real term]A Large No-No[/not the real term] to boil a calf in its mother's milk.

I don't keep strict kosher, but I do avoid meats that would never be right, like horse/kangaroo/shark/prawns etc. where it doesn't matter how you prepare them, they're always wrong.

Sorry for the tangent. Anyway, mislabeling peeves me.

EDIT: Halal and kashrut (kosher rules) overlap but then separate again. Pigs are out in both, I think horse would be okay in halal though, and liquor is okay in kashrut.

Edited by la di dah, 12 February 2013 - 03:31 PM.

#24 Riotproof

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:31 PM

From what I understand its actually that the horse meat hasn't been put through the same safety channels. They are worried about hormones and chemicals being present, as well as being misrepresented as beef.

Tbh, it not sure I would order horse at a restaurant, but if I visited someone's home and they served it, I'd probably eat it.

#25 Ice Queen

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:32 PM

I lived in France so I don't even raise an eyebrow at horse meat.  It is sold in every butcher and on many menus.  It is however a 'cheap' meat and a lot of the elderly French eat it as it was one of the few meats they could afford during war and afterwards.  It isn't very appetising looking (a very dark, deep red) in the butchers so, no, it is not a meat I would choose.

For me it would be the mislabelling though and the UK is terrible for it.  When I lived there chicken fillets were found to be injected with pork fat to increase the weight and size of them.  That kind of behaviour from food manufacturers sh&ts me no end.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Teaching our son to say no to violence against women

Today, on White Ribbon Day - and every other day - we're teaching our son to say no to violence against women.

Mothers told to breastfeed in 'spacious' toilet

If there is one thing the owners of Tillings Cafe can be certain of, it is that the eatery won't win the award for Britain's best baby-friendly coffee shop any time soon.

Mother gives name to son dumped down drain

A woman who admitted to dumping her newborn baby down a Sydney drain has reportedly been allowed to give him a name.

Taking small steps to reduce stress

Are you feeling used up by life's stress, family problems and a demanding job you can't turn off? Many people are way beyond work-life exhaustion. They are functioning as robots.

Bad news: we're running out of chocolate

The world's biggest chocolate-maker says we're running out of chocolate.

Born at 23 weeks, 'Chopstick Baby' survives first week

A baby who was born at 23 weeks has survived her first week of life outside the womb.

Manic stations: the nesting instinct in pregnancy

It might sound like temporary insanity, but almost obsessive nesting as you near your due date isn’t uncommon – even if you’re not usually a particularly clean person.

How a baby can survive alone for days on end

The baby found abandoned in a Sydney drain may have been alone for up to six days without being fed, leaving many asking how he could have survived.

When it begins to look a lot like Christmas

A child's excitement at Christmas time is a beautiful thing, but one dad ponders whether his toddler daughter is getting into the festive mood a bit too soon.

Hospital lets dads the experience some of the pain of childbirth

A new experience is radically altering men's views of childbirth.

Italian doctors questioned over formula bribes

Italian police have placed 12 doctors under house arrest on suspicion of promoting baby milk formula over breastfeeding.

Heartwarming prank gives single mum the house she was hired to clean

Cara Simmons arrived at work to clean a large and beautiful house in time for a party planned for that evening. It was soon hers.

Those special moments of sibling bonding

Every now and then your child does or says something that is truly memorable.

Why we should stop telling new parents to 'enjoy every moment'

A few weeks ago, some dear friends of mine had their first baby. As the proud dad texted me a picture I had to fight the natural instinct to say “Enjoy every moment!”

Baby monitor footage posted online

Footage of Australian babies and children sleeping in their bedrooms are among the images on a Russian site showing live feeds from thousands of homes and businesses around the world.

Did this new dad really hit on his wife's midwife?

Was there really a man who was actually there by his wife’s side as she laboured and gave birth to his child, all while he was making what he perceived to be meaningful eye contact with a midwife?

Keep calm and ignore the Tantrum Trolls

Tantrum Trolls are a small but growing species of predatory bottom-feeders who delight in picking on parents at their most vulnerable.

It's okay to never 'get over' the death of a loved one

The death of children, siblings, and parents has long term impacts on the rest of our lives.

What Mark Latham needs to know about depression and motherhood

Love has nothing to do with mental illness. But love may drive a mother to do something about it.

'We're just trying to keep our child alive': life with FPIES

We have a beautiful seven-month-old son, and his allergy rules our life.

Transgender dad breastfeeds his babies

A transgender man who breastfed his first baby - despite having his breasts removed as part of his transformation from female to male - has now had a second child.

Couple face $1 million medical bill and bankruptcy after babymoon birth

A Canadian couple were slammed with a million dollar medical bill after their daughter was prematurely during their babymoon.

Cigarettes, junk food dominate supermarket sales growth

One in every five dollars spent at supermarkets goes on cigarettes or junk food, according to industry data.

Teacher under fire for breastfeeding in class

There is no doubt mums have a right to continue breastfeeding after they have returned to work, but one teacher in the US has taken it to the extreme.

Win a family pass to Disney Live!

We have 4 family passes to give away to see Disney Live! presents Three Classic Fairy Tales, touring Australia this December/January.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Join PADDINGTON on the red carpet!

To celebrate the release of PADDINGTON, we are giving five lucky winners the chance to win a family pass to the exclusive Australian Premiere in Sydney on December 7!

The tragedy of losing a favourite teddy bear

We were green and uninitiated, perhaps a little naïve when it came to the favourite toy responsibility.

Video: Baby sniffs beardless dad to make sure it's him

She looks him up and down and then touches his chin, but baby Lindsey still isn't sure this clean-shaven man is her dad.

It's possible to workout while pregnant

Medical experts say intense fitness routines can be done safely during pregnancy - if the mums-to-be follow some guidelines.

What parents really want for their kids

Are our hopes, dreams and expectations for our children what they really need?

'I had a feeling something was seriously wrong'

Before even giving birth, Katie Myers' maternal instincts warned her something was wrong with her baby.

When your pregnancy causes a relationship rift

Some dads-to-be don't miss a beat when their partner is pregnant; others struggle with a range of issues and can become withdrawn, right when their support is needed most.

Couple uses group photo trick to announce pregnancy to loved ones

Katharine and Kris Camilli devised a clever trick to immortalise their family and friends' reactions to their exciting pregnancy news.

Why Tracey Spicer has given up make-up

"After 30 years on television, I had become what I despised: a painted doll who spent an hour a day and close to $200 a week putting on a mask."

Knowing you are one of the lucky ones

I am secure, confident and strong, but the responsibility of protecting my children can almost bring me undone.

Why I am so emotional now I have kids?

There are so many ways in which parenthood changes us as women, but one of the most noticeable, for me, has been the changing state of my emotions.

Baby survives despite sharing womb with 'foreign body'

Baby Maia was conceived against the odds, only to find she was sharing a womb with an ominous "foreign body".

Video: Baby shows dog how to jump - or vice versa

They say dog is man's best friend, but this playful pooch seems to have chosen a jumping baby as her number one buddy.

10 ways to soothe a crying baby

New paernts can get frustrated when their newborn gets fussy and can't settle down. When you're feeling overwhelmed, try some of these simple tips to help soothe your baby.

20 baby names that are becoming more popular every year

The data-lovers at nameberry.com have been at it again – this time, they’ve discovered the names that are continually rising up the ranks, ready to take out some top spots in the next few years.

10 great meals to make for new parents

Ideally, you want to give food that isn’t expensive to make, isn't too difficult to create, and freezes well; stews, bakes, soups and pasta sauces are perfect.

Weird pregnancy products

Some pregnancy products come to market and are just awesome. Others just leave you scratching your head.

Carers admit to force-feeding children

Twin brothers have become dads on the same day ? with their partners giving birth in the same hospital, and even the same birthing pool.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.