Is this arrangement fair and equitable?UPDATED POST 30
or is someone drawing the short straw

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 3mummy3

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:23 PM

Just want to put out a scenario and see if people think the arrangements are fair or not. My dh thinks we are drawing the short straw but i think things are pretty much equal or more on my side a tad. I wont say who is who so just let me know which if any family is getting diddled and what could be done to make it more even!

Family A has a small baby, a primary school child and two highschool kids. Mum is sahm but works part time from home, dad leaves early and gets home late so isnt involved at all in the scenario.

Family B has two primary school kids and one high school kid. Mum works two afternoon/evenings per week, dad works fulltime but not long hours so is involved in the scenario.

Current arrangement is that family A mum drops highschool kids off at family Bs house in the morning and takes Bs primary kids back home with her, they stay for about twenty minutes before walking across the road to primary school. Family Bs mum or sometimes dad drives the highschool kids to school, about 8 minute return trip. Family As driving time is about 20 minutes due to bad traffic between the two homes.

After school the primary kids walk home and stay at family As house for about 30-45 minutes, they are given an afternoon snack. Family Bs mum or dad picks up highschool kids then comes and drops As kids off at home and picks up their kids. Drive time for them about 25 or so minutes.

But once a week mum is working and dad has to stay back for meetings so family A collects primary school kids, drives to highschool to pick up highschool kids, drops family Bs kids off at home then goes back home. Takes about 40 minutes due to traffic at that time.

Then another day one of familyBs kids has afterschool activity so his mum will pick her primary school kids up and go to activity and family A mum will pick up her own primary kid then do the highschool pick up, dropping Bs highschool kid at home. 40 minute trip again.

So hopefully you can understand my ramblings and give opinions regarding the scenarios!

ETA Also will just add that if each family went their seperate ways Family A would have more driving but wouldnt have to babysit Bs primary kids and feed them snack. And family b would have more driving and would be stuck on the two days mum works, and would also need to provide snack for own kids.

Edited by 3mummy3, 12 February 2013 - 05:50 PM.

#2 Funwith3

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:31 PM

OMG I'm so confused!! All I can say is if families A and B can make those arrangements work successfully, then they deserve a medal! As for your question, who gets the rough end, it seems like both are equally helping.

#3 laridae

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:34 PM

Its pretty fair - except when you get to the exception days, in which case family A does a little more work.

However if they didn't have family B they would be doing it anyway (they would still have to do primary & high school pickups) - so they still come out ahead.

ETA: If family B did the morning run, ie drop the kids off and pick up the teenagers to take to school on the exception days it would be a little more balanced.

Edited by laridae, 12 February 2013 - 01:59 PM.

#4 Peppery

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:40 PM

Sounds fair except for the exception days but they sound like they happen each week, so i think that shifts the balance and Family A are getting the short straw.

#5 Coffeegirl

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:42 PM

Sound pretty fair to me.  Although Family A does seem to spend more time in traffic than family B

And wow - one full car with all the teenagers and a baby original.gif

Is Family B willing to reciprocate if Family A needs it on occasion?

Edit for weird triple post

Edited by Coffeegirl, 12 February 2013 - 01:42 PM.

#6 baby*girl

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:43 PM

Fair or not, it sounds like a great family set arrangement if everyone is happy.

#7 ekbaby

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:44 PM

Reading all that does my head in, but honestly, rather than asking strictly "is this equal?" I would be asking "are both families happy with the arrangement?"

If one family member/parent is not happy with the arrangement, what is the issue(s) of contention? Eg is there a specific pick-up or something that doesn't work well on one day? Can they be worked around?

Some families might be quite happy to do things for each other even if they are not strictly "fair" but just see it as part of the grand scheme of things in terms of helping each other out...so it probably depends on the relationship between the families.

#8 protart roflcoptor

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:46 PM

T'would be extremely difficult to work out a situation involving 2 families and that many kids that is completely and utterly 50/50.

It's not as if one family is doing it all, all the time.

Maybe the high school kids could look at options to get themselves to school?

#9 toosenuf

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:47 PM

I think if you are unhappy with the current arrangement, then say it isnt working for you and look after your own kids.  But all in all it seems to come out in the wash.

#10 Mpjp is feral

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:49 PM

QUOTE (ekbaby @ 12/02/2013, 02:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Reading all that does my head in, but honestly, rather than asking strictly "is this equal?" I would be asking "are both families happy with the arrangement?"

If one family member/parent is not happy with the arrangement, what is the issue(s) of contention? Eg is there a specific pick-up or something that doesn't work well on one day? Can they be worked around?

Some families might be quite happy to do things for each other even if they are not strictly "fair" but just see it as part of the grand scheme of things in terms of helping each other out...so it probably depends on the relationship between the families.

I think they deserve a prize for keeping all that straight in their heads!!!!

I very much agree with teh poster above.

I have similar (although less complicated) situations with several families, and with some I do 'more' than they do....however I a) am happy to help, b) like their kids and c) know that if I ever was stuck they'd help me out too....and if I am doing stuff it makes me feel more comfortable about asking!!

#11 Klinkalink

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:53 PM

I think that Family B gets a slightly better deal, but not by much, so it's pretty even. If everyone's happy with it, that's all that matters.

#12 FeralLIfeHacker

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:56 PM

Really, really confusing but it seems like family A is doing a little more driving/picking up/dropping off.   I'd say family B has it a tad better.  Agree with pp's it's whether each family is happy or not and if it's working.

#13 bandbub

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:57 PM

i think family b is getting more out of it

#14 Anonymous12

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:05 PM

If I were either family I would be pretty happy with the arrangement, I don't know of many situations where people help each other out like this and I think this arrangement sounds great.

I imagine there are other times where they might help each other with babysitting, hosting etc so it would probably all even out in the end.

#15 kpingitquiet

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:06 PM

Sounds pretty fair to me. Might be a little harder on Family A, but surely it's nothing a couple dollars of gas money, or the occasional offer of nighttime babysitting couldn't cover.

#16 ImpatientAnna

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:11 PM

So, so very confused but think family A puts in slightly more work, but sounds like it works.....

Does it work? Come on op which family are you and what is your take on it?

#17 ImpatientAnna

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:17 PM

Eta I am guessing you are family A. If you think you are getting rorted, just cease the arrangement and tell your teenagers to get themselves to school like every other HS student does.

#18 Moo point

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:19 PM

QUOTE (ImpatientAnna @ 12/02/2013, 03:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Eta I am guessing you are family A. If you think you are getting rorted, just cease the arrangement and tell your teenagers to get themselves to school like every other HS student does.

This. Don't kids get buses/other transport or walk to school anymore?

#19 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:21 PM

QUOTE (ekbaby @ 12/02/2013, 01:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agree with this.  It's reasonably even, although if one wanted to get picky about it, Family A may do a bit more than Family B.  But if both families are happy with the arrangement and continue to help each other out, I don't see the problem.

OP, from your post, it sounds like your DH thinks you guys are getting short-changed in this arrangement.  Which means at least one family may not be entirely happy with the arrangements.  If this is not resolved, it's likely to create resentment.  If it is brought up with other family, is your family happy to have a change or loss of current arrangements?

#20 gemgirl

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:43 PM

Family A is put out a bit more with driving and snacks /babysitting and exception days.

But if all are happy, leave it as is. If not, family B could pitch in with more transport or weekend sitting now and again, maybe?

#21 gemgirl

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:45 PM

Also, can family b ever drop the kids to family a in the morning?

#22 saxa

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:47 PM

OP, from your post, it sounds like your DH thinks you guys are getting short-changed in this arrangement

Wonder what DH is suggesting as an alternative?

If you are family A - how does it effect him anyway as he doesnt do any of the running around.

Is he willing to help you out if the current situation came to an end?

#23 darcswan

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:55 PM

So if I understand:
Family A:  
a. Does AM drive to swap kids - 20 min
b. AM primary school run (walk)
b. Minds children before/after school
Twice a week also:
c. Does the PM school run drive to pick up kids and swap kids (40 min)

Family B:
a. Does the AM school run (drive) for high school kids - (8 min)
Three times a week also:
b. Does the PM school run drive to pick up kids and swap kids (25 min)

So Family A does more and spends more time in the car. The timings seem weird to me, but I'll accept what the OP has written.
It's not horribly uneven... Based on those timings:
Family A:
Childminding: 5.5 hours
Driving: 3 hours

Family B:
Driving: 2 hours

Edited by darcswan, 12 February 2013 - 02:59 PM.

#24 tibs

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:22 PM

Different people rate things differently though - I'd drive for hours rather than have my friend's kids round every morning/afternoon.  Luckily my friend is the opposite  biggrin.gif  So for us I drive my schoolkid to her house every morning and pick up her preschooler and then drive him and my preschooler to preschool (far ish away).  My friend walks her schoolkid and mine to school.  In the afternoon again I do all the driving, to the preschool to pick up our preschoolers while my friend walks our schoolkids to her place and entertains them until I get back to swap kids again.  Not 'even' at all in the driving/travel time but it works for us and we're both ahead compared to doing it all ourselves.

#25 Leggy

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:50 PM

Maybe not strictly even, but if the arrangement wasn't in place it sounds like both families would do a lot more driving and would possibly have trouble getting both primary and high school kids to the right place on time?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Ambulance service under fire: baby seats to go, response times 'worse than ever'

The NSW Ambulance Service is removing child-safety seats from ambulances, while the Victorian service is facing criticism over lengthy response times following the death of a three-year-old.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Is e-reading to your toddler story time or just screen time?

When reading increasingly means swiping pages on a device, and we're advised to read to their children early and often, should parents be turning to e-readers for storytime?

Community mourns inspiring young dad

A young dad who fought a five-year battle with cancer has been remembered for his inspiring legacy at a funeral service attended by hundreds of family and friends this week.

Meningococcal kills Queensland toddler

Public health authorities say the death of a toddler in north Queensland from meningococcal disease highlights the danger the illness poses.

Nicole Kidman: 'I hope every month that I'm pregnant'

Nicole Kidman is hoping to add to her family, but says she's doubtful it will happen.

Recall: Aldi Wooden London Bus play set

Aldi has announced a recall of their popular Wooden London Bus play set.

Great gift ideas for first birthdays

From soft toys to balance bikes, here are some great ideas for first birthday gifts.

Mum learnt she was pregnant hours before giving birth

Kim Walsh arrived at the doctor with abdominal cramps. Hours later, she was cradling the baby experts told her she could never have.

How cancer has made me a better, happier person

I'm a far better person post-cancer than I ever was before. The goal now is to stay around long enough to find out who I can become, and what I can achieve.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Warnings over child pain relief doses

The Therapeutic Goods Administration has warned parents and carers over a "confusing" pain relief dosage system.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.