6 week old - resettling at 40 minutes
Deja vu!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 lovedupmumma

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:10 AM

OK, so DS3 is 6 weeks old today, and I am getting a distinct sense of deja vu.

Goes down fine for a sleep (daytime), then wakes after 40 mins and is really hard to resettle. It look like he's having a fight with his wrap and he grizzles, whimpers and cries. No amount of patting or replacing the dummy settles him, and if I leave him he gets so worked up it takes ages to calm him (ie picking up and rocking). I am hesitant to pick him up straight away like I did with DS1, I try to resettle in the cot, but here he is in my arms as I type.

This happened with DS1 in particular and I think the mistake there was we allowed him to become overstimulated and sleep was a problem for a VERY long time. DS2 was better at this age, but still the same 40 min/ one sleep cycle thing.

So my question is, what are your tips for resettling when they wake at this age but need more sleep? He's too young IMO for letting him cry it out, and that seems to make it worse and go on for longer, but am keen not to have a repeat of past sleep problems. I just have too many people to look after these days for that!

#2 lucky 2

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:30 AM

At 6 weeks he is at the peak of unsettled behaviour (peaks around 6-8  weeks of age).
Most people are going to say do what you can and do what you need to do, just as you have done, ie he didn't sleep with your strategies so you picked him up, that is the only thing you could have done in the circumstances.
What alternative did you have?
If the only alternative is to ignore his cries/needs (aka crying it out) then you have done the right thing by him by picking him up to comfort him.
He needs that support from his carers until he developmentally ready not to need that support, he is far too immature at the moment.
The link below is pretty extensive and has lots of research based information on baby behaviour and tips/strategies for help with soothing, sleeping and crying.
http://www.purplecrying.info/
All the best.

#3 Lokum

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:43 AM

Maybe he's grizzling and fighting when he wakes after 40 mins because he HAS had enough sleep and wants to get up and have a cuddle?

My DS1 was a catnapper and had 40 minute sleeps (but lots of them) until about 6-7 months old. He would go to sleep, wake after 40 minutes and want to get up for a feed or play. If we didn't attend to him he'd grizzle, but only because he wanted to get up. Once up, he'd be happy with a cuddle, but we'd try to get him back to bed within an hour or so (longer as he got older.)

After 6  months, he started waking cranky, as he really did need a longer sleep but wasn't able to get through to the next sleep cycle, and then I helped him. I had to lie on the bed next to the cot reading, and at the 35 0\or 40 min mark, as soon as he stirred, I'd scoop him up and cuddle him until he'd got through to the next sleep cycle. When he was sleeping deeply again, then I'd lay him back in the cot. Within a couple of weeks, he was reliably sleeping 2 or 3 sleep cycles by himself and happy again.

But catnapping per se wasn't a problem, only when it became clear that lots of 40 min naps was no longer working for him. Up until 6 months they worked great for him. He was a great sleeper, went to sleep easily and quickly (< 5 minutes) nearly his whole life - but we cuddled him to sleep until he was 18 months old. Is now a brilliant toddler sleeper, in his own bed, never gets out. I don't think self-settling in the cot is necessarily important to being a good sleeper. In our experience, more cuddles = better sleep.

#4 José

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:44 AM

How is the night time sleep? My ds is now four months. He can sleep for hours during the night but in the day very very rately sleeps beyond one sleep cycle.  DH and I tried resettling for about two weeks and had a really low success rate. Nurse/ sleep consultant said to stop attempting to resettle.  She said he is able to resettle himself as he does so at night and if he wanted to in the day he would.  We cant force it. Hopefully once he starts crawling his sleep will be longer.  Im not sure if this experience is helpful to you or not? Maybe u need to go with the short day sleep for now?

#5 lovedupmumma

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:11 AM

Sleep at night is good so long as the weather is cool. 1am and 5am feeds after about 8pm the last feed before bed. When the weather is hotter he wakes more frequently at night but over all good.

Lokum, I really don't think he's ready to be up after 40 mins as the grizzling doesn't stop when he's up. DS1 was a shocking cat napper which was OK at the time, but this one has to go to school drop off and pick up and generally get shunted around and if there hasn't been a good slab of sleep in the day the night is a really unsettled.

Also I am trying to make the most of the days when I have DS2 at home with me because he needs some of my time. He's off to school next year and I want to spend some time playing with him not resettling the baby.

She said he is able to resettle himself as he does so at night and if he wanted to in the day he would. We cant force it.

Good point, the nights are OK although it can be hit and miss rolleyes.gif

#6 Lokum

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:43 PM

QUOTE (lovedupmumma @ 12/02/2013, 12:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lokum, I really don't think he's ready to be up after 40 mins as the grizzling doesn't stop when he's up. DS1 was a shocking cat napper which was OK at the time, but this one has to go to school drop off and pick up and generally get shunted around and if there hasn't been a good slab of sleep in the day the night is a really unsettled.

Fair enough, sounds like he's not happy, especially if there's flow-on to the night sleeps. Try pick him up and cuddle him through to the next sleep cycle, but get to him BEFORE he really rouses? This does require watching like a hawk though, so is rather time consuming.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Wondersuit heaven: Bonds & Disney launch exclusive collection

Bonds and Disney fans with babies to buy for will be celebrating this news. Bonds and Disney have just released collaboration Wondersuits.

Perth hospital mistakes cancerous tumour for "behavioural issues"

When Naomi Holly, a mother of three, noticed her eight-month-old daughter Nora, was having difficulty crawling and standing up as normal, she knew there was something wrong.

Piano playing dad soothes son to sleep in moments

There's nothing more frustrating, or distressing to a parent than a sick child who can't  - or won't got to sleep. 

Lucky escape for mum and bub after snake found in couch

Perth mother Laurie Rushton Dyble was sitting on a recliner chair in her home holding her six-month-old son when her husband suddenly told her to get up and leave the room.

When your partner misses the birth

While no one wants their partner to miss their baby’s birth, it can happen. Here’s what to do if you find yourself in that situation.

Motherhood challenge: smug or just a bit of fun?

The #motherhoodchallenge sounds harmless, doesn't it? Some women disagree.

Who's the mum? Family photo goes viral

Last year, it was "The Dress". This year, it is a family photo that is breaking the internet.

5 easy meditation practices for beginners

So who's with me? You know meditating is one of the best things you can possibly do for yourself.

Woman to go on trial for being a bad housewife

An Italian woman could face up to six years in jail after her husband accused her of not doing enough cooking and cleaning at home.

Is the latest advice on women and drinking over the top?

While most expectant mums know to stop drinking when they’re pregnant, experts now warn women should stop drinking earlier than that. Is this necessary?

How household chores can double as a workout

If there's less than a slim chance you'll find time to get out for a jog or to hit the gym today, take heart in knowing that household chores contribute to the calorie equation.

I have no idea what I'm doing - and that's okay

Why don't we talk about the fact that when everything goes right, we may still feel completely lost, and certain that we have failed?

Dad warns of hair tourniquet danger after baby almost loses toe

A shocked father has shared his family's experience in a bid to warn other parents about the dangers of hair becoming entangled around a baby's toe.

Town welcomes first baby in 28 years

Since the 1980s, the Italian town of Ostana had not seen the birth of a single baby.

How to start teaching your kids road safety

It's something that can be taught as early as possible and reinforced as they get older and more mobile - even from toddlerhood.

Just announced: Bugaboo Cameleon³ Classic+ Collection update

Meet the brand new understated chic model from Bugaboo.

The emotional moment a mum hears her late son's heartbeat

It's been two and a half years since Heather Clark's seven-month-old son Lukas passed away.

Nine reasons why you have 'brain fog'

One minute your productivity is skyrocketing and the next you're sitting there trying to focus – just like that you draw blank, your brain, mush.

I had a caesarean and it was beautiful

Guess what? Despite not pushing him out, I cried, and my heart skipped, and I felt the rush of love and pride when I saw him for the first time.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Penny Wong

'The most hurtful argument in the marriage equality debate'

Labor frontbencher Penny Wong is used to to hearing arguments against same-sex marriage. But for Australia's most prominent gay politician, one hurts more than others.

Does exercise have to be fun to work?

Some things in life are inherently served with a big scoop of fun: balloons, bubbles, cupcakes to name but a few, but exercise?

Hair dye gives woman second-degree burns

She wanted a fresh colour for 2016, but instead she got chemical burns.

Kelly Slater saves mum and toddler from 'freak wave'

A Perth family has thanked US surfing "legend" Kelly Slater after the star saved a mother and a young toddler from "a freak wave" in Hawaii.

Apple recalls millions of power adapters

Tech giant instigates massive international recall of power point adapters due to risk of electric shock.

Toddler's adorable alphabet goes viral

It's impossible not to share this little boy's excitement  about the alphabet.

Tot's nighttime waking saves family's life

Like all tired parents, Monique and Kyle Ruppel were looking forward to the day their 15-month-old daughter Celia would start sleeping through the night. 

Australian mum gives birth to quintuplets

An Australian mum who has shared the ups and downs of carrying quintuplets has welcomed her five babies into the world.

Dad of four girls faints at gender reveal for fifth baby

It was all too much excitement for this dad.

The simple way you can help your baby's language development

The way parents respond to their child's babbling can shape how their infants communicate.

Zika virus is 'spreading explosively': WHO

The World Health Organization announced that it will convene an emergency meeting about Zika.

National database recommended for child protection cases

Baby Ebony was repeatedly failed by the agencies tasked with her protection before her horrific death at the hands of her father, South Australia's deputy coroner says.

Hospitals put babies at risk by ignoring policy on elective caesareans

Thirty-eight weeks or 39? Non-medical factors are pushing women to have elective caesareans earlier than official guidelines - and hospitals are playing along.

Police help deliver baby on busy roadside

Two police officers delivered more than a traffic fine by the side of a busy Melbourne road yesterday.

1D's Louis Tomlinson shares first photo of baby

One Direction's Louis Tomlinson has posted the first picture of his baby boy, Freddie, on social media.

FREE TICKET

Free first aid demonstrations daily

Get your free ticket to the Essential Baby & Toddler Show and save $20 - register online now!

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.