Fish oil and behaviour
A trial on my 3 year old

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Just Another Cat

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:52 AM

Hi everyone,    

I've read a lot about fish oil improving behaviour on EB of late so thought I would give it a try.

Just to note, yesterday was a typical day for DD and involved
• Jumping on the bed while giggling uncontrollably
• Hanging upside down and spinning around on the couch while watching a tv show (could not sit still for the 10 minutes the show was on)
• Threw toys all over the floor, ran off in a fit of giggling when DP asked her to pick them up.
• Became very angry, shouting and carrying on, when put in timeout for hitting DS
• Running around the house for no particular reason

She seems to have a very short attention span and difficulty concentrating. She's quite emotional, going from fits of giggles to crying within seconds. She talks back and yells when I try to discipline her (timeout). She doesn't usually stop a behaviour if I ask her to. In fact, she usually just escalates it. She loves playing with DS. But gets over excited and ends up hurting him. When he cries she actually laughs.  

I understand that some of his is probably general 3 year old behaviour but hoping the fish oil will calm her down a bit.

So today is day 1 of my fish oil trial. I'm using the pentavite fish oil capsules. Anyone else want to join in?

Edited by BlackKitteh, 12 February 2013 - 07:53 AM.

#2 Just Another Cat

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:09 AM

QUOTE (Sassy Girl @ 12/02/2013, 09:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would try discipline before Fish oil. Fish oil is a placebo nothing more.

laughing2.gif I do discipline her. Every time. Sometimes I think she just can't help herself, like the giggling uncontrollably and getting over excited.

Placebo or not it's worth a try. We don't eat fish anyway due to DP having an allergy, so no harm really.

#3 Jupiter123

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:15 AM

Aside from what has been said on EB, have you actually researched the benefits and disadvantages of Fish Oil use on children?

Have you spoken with a medical professional about starting your LO on fish oil?

Have you checked to see if there will be any adverse interactions with fish oil and anything that your LO might be consuming?

Have you looked at some of the possible side effects of using Fish Oil?

Are you sure its wise to have Fish Oil in the house if your DH has an allergy?

Just a few questions to throw out there for you.

Disclaimer: I am not for or against the use of Fish Oil, however I do think that one should weigh the pro's and con's of using it.

#4 samoocha1991

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:19 AM

I have just went through the most trying time with my 3 year old DD.  EXACTLY what you said I was pulling my hair out as a loss with what to do with her.  I found all she wanted was time with mum and to be VERY VERY strict if you give a warning follow through it is hard as you are at a constant battle and it is SO tiring.

Id ask my GP before putting my DD on anything even if it is a simple as fish oil, but thats just my opinion.

I can safely say that after 3 months of constant arguing and going into a crazy mum that yes they do calm I think it is only 3 year old behaviour and girls can throw tantrums like i have never seen.  I thought the devil was coming for her original.gif .

Good luck and hope that whichever way you go that things get easier and she gets a bit calmer for your sanity.

#5 JustBeige

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:25 AM

I use them.  They are not a placebo for my child.  We also use them in conjunction with a lot of other things - food; discipline; other supplements.

You do need to look at the ones you are using, because different brands have different results depending on whether you are treating ADHD or ASD

Pop over to the SN section and have a look/ chat over there. there are a couple of threads over there that talk about it.  Otherwise contact BMJ and MadMother are both experts (imho) about everything FishOil and behaviours.

At that age, with DS, we looked at getting him to a Chiro + looking at different foods that set him off + trying some different, to our norm, techniques for discipline.

Food reactions were and still are sometimes, the big one for him. So check out the failsafe diet website too.

GL. 3-5 is truly an exasperating age.

#6 whale-woman

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:26 AM

Sounds a bit likje my 3 yo on a bad day. Oily fish in you diet is important but rather than putting her on expensive tablets why don't  you just add some fish to her diet (even if DP has to eat something else). My DD likes sardines on toast, grilled salmon and loves calamari.

#7 vitaechel

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:29 AM

OP - I am going assume you are already using positive reinforcement and discipline  wink.gif . I had fish oil recommended to help DS with concentration and focus, but that is a symptom of other issues. He had speech delay and real issue with sitting still (also sleep problems and other issues). I had lots of people giving advice like "no red cordial/no sugar etc etc" - problem was - he never had red cordial or soda, he also does not get loads of candy or sugar. Instead I grew vegies and would make his meals from scratch - I even made his bread. I went to parenting classes, speech therapists, maternal health nurses and doctors and while they could see the issues they had no answers. Discipline was an exercise in frustration. My DS wants to be good he just finds it really hard to control himself.
After seeing a Pediatrician who said "he is probably ADHD, but we can't be sure til he is 5 at least" , I was at my wits end. I needed help NOW - I was pregnant with DD and moving countries and DS would scream for hours at night trying to go to bed. He would have massive tantrums and bounced from wall to wall. We saw a natropath who suggested he had intolerance's. He was found to be gluten intolerant and removing gluten went a long way to helping those problems. This is not to say that is your DD's problem. My point is that I searched until I finally got help and advice that worked.
My 3.5yo DS can now sit still while doing lessons with me for a good hour (Even typing that I am amazed).  He goes to sleep most nights within 30mins and can go into a store with a tantrum most of the time. He has bad days and still has to use up a lot of energy, but he is much closer to a normal 3 year old now. I can't say whether the Fish oil definitively helps, but I THINK it has an impact. There is research that has suggested that Omega 3 fatty acids have a "medium to strong treatment effect" ( in blind studies) on symptoms of ADHD and other developmental disorders. Our Pediatrician actually suggested the fish oil as well.
Also to add - the Ped referred us to Early Childhood Intervention Australia (ECIA's) and while we didn't get much chance for help from them they did prepare DS for our international move and helped me cope.

ETA - DS also eats lots of fish - he loves tuna (fresh and can) and sushi.

Edited by vitaechel, 12 February 2013 - 08:32 AM.

#8 Jess1308

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:34 AM

It does sound like pretty normal three year old behaviour to me. The fish oil trial that I am aware of is at the extreme end. It was for serious criminal offenders with psychiatric issues in a forensic psych hospital. There were some changes to behaviour but it wasn't remarkable. I haven't heard of any evidence base in regards to children.I would also check first with your GP.

#9 FeralZombieMum

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:46 AM

Firstly I would look into the FAILSAFE diet, which is a diet that eliminates certain chemicals (natural ones as well!) that can affect children's behaviour.
You go through a few weeks on a strict diet and then you introduce things one at a time to see what they react to.

It's not recommended to take fish oil whilst in the early stages of FAILSAFE because there are things in it that can affect behaviour.

Fish oil is certainly not a placebo as a PP has pointed out. Some that are aimed at kids have flavours added to them and the kids can react badly to that. It's certainly worth trying when your child is some what 'spirited'. My DS has been taking some for a few months (he takes capsules and thinks they are like lollies! He chews the capsule too.  sick.gif ) and he has calmed down a little bit. I certainly notice it after school as this is when he was quite hyped up.

I don't think your GP would be of any help, unless they have some knowledge and experience in this area. You could ask them for a referral to a dietician - there are some fantastic ones out there that work with you on the FAILSAFE diet.

Good luck.

#10 vitaechel

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:51 AM

There are studies in relation to Fish Oil and treatment of ADHD and Autism Spectrum disorders. A quick google search will give you a few. I am not a Dr, so the validity of the research is not known to me other than what I read. But my Pediatrician is a Dr...
That is not to say that the Op's DD will be helped by Fish oil, just that there is evidence to suggest it may help children with certain behavioural/developmental disorders.

Also - Zombiemum has great advice biggrin.gif

Edited by vitaechel, 12 February 2013 - 08:53 AM.

#11 FeralLIfeHacker

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:06 AM

QUOTE (whale-woman @ 12/02/2013, 08:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sounds a bit likje my 3 yo on a bad day. Oily fish in you diet is important but rather than putting her on expensive tablets why don't  you just add some fish to her diet (even if DP has to eat something else). My DD likes sardines on toast, grilled salmon and loves calamari.

This is what we do.  I am a bit paranoid about fish oil (or lack of it) since being diagnosed with Rheumatoid arthritis.  I am participating in a study where I take 15mls a day of fish oil (rheumatoid dose) and I worry the kids wont get enough and end up with RA but I don't want to do capsules so I work on getting oily fish into their diets. Fish oil is great for hearts, joints, skin, brain etc. I do it for those reasons not behaviour so much.

#12 EBeditor

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:10 AM

That sounds like typical 3 year old behavior to me too! I do have my DS on fish oil though (and yes our GP is fine with it), I find it improves his mood.

#13 GenWhy

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:52 AM

Thanks to the help of many mums in the SN area on EB we got a diagnosis of high functioning autism in our DD2 last year. Fish oil was one of the recommendations the developmental paed gave us. The days we forget to give DD her "lollies" she is truly hard to manage with tantrums, aggression and lack of focus. It does work for us.

#14 Kay1

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:07 AM

Just to throw in my 2 cents worth.

DS2 had a neurological injury as a baby (caused by a virus) so during his recovery I started fish oil supplements (amongst other things) to help with his nerve and myelin regeneration. I don't know if it really helped but I felt better doing whatever I could to support his recovery.

I continued the fish oil after that. DS1 is 7.5 now. He has some quirks but is not on the spectrum. He has some sensory issues though and does some flapping when he's excited which is not a problem in itself but is a bit of a flag to me that he is going a bit 'scatty' as I think of it.

He has been assessed and had some flags for inattentive ADHD. This was at the start of Year 1. Since this wasn't causing any major problems at school I didn't pursue an official diagnosis and didn't share this info with the school but I did liaise with his teacher often. At the beginning of Year 1 his teacher noticed that he was having a lot of trouble sitting still and attending to tasks. During this time I realised I'd stopped the fish oil (Eye Q brand) and was just giving them those fish oil lollies which are not as high in the good stuff. So I switched back to his Eye Q. I didn't mention this to the teacher (she'd probably think I was a nutter) but about two weeks later she sought me out in the playground to tell me how much DS1 had settled down in class and how well he was doing at concentrating etc. She found the change quite remarkable and told me to keep doing whatever I was doing.

I feel certain it was the fishoil.

Over the holidays we ran out and I didn't get around to getting any more. Over the last week or so I and other family members have noticed his behaviour is much more 'scatty' again and the flapping has increased a lot. So he's back on it now and I'll see if it calms him down again. He is not a badly behaved child not destructive or disruptive so the changes are more subtle but still pretty clear to me. He seems calm and 'centred' when he's on it and able to concentrate and less so when not. My 4 year old is on it too but I don't notice any change in him. He doesn't have the same quirks as his brother.

#15 Loulla

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:14 AM

QUOTE (jupiter123 @ 12/02/2013, 09:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Aside from what has been said on EB, have you actually researched the benefits and disadvantages of Fish Oil use on children?

Have you spoken with a medical professional about starting your LO on fish oil?

Have you checked to see if there will be any adverse interactions with fish oil and anything that your LO might be consuming?

Have you looked at some of the possible side effects of using Fish Oil?

Are you sure its wise to have Fish Oil in the house if your DH has an allergy?

Just a few questions to throw out there for you.

Disclaimer: I am not for or against the use of Fish Oil, however I do think that one should weigh the pro's and con's of using it.

laughing2.gif  SUCH an EB answer!

OP there is a lot of data out there proving that fish oil has a huge range of benefits, it's amazing stuff.

ETA typo

Edited by Loulla, 13 February 2013 - 09:15 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Teaching our son to say no to violence against women

Today, on White Ribbon Day - and every other day - we're teaching our son to say no to violence against women.

Mothers told to breastfeed in 'spacious' toilet

If there is one thing the owners of Tillings Cafe can be certain of, it is that the eatery won't win the award for Britain's best baby-friendly coffee shop any time soon.

Mother gives name to son dumped down drain

A woman who admitted to dumping her newborn baby down a Sydney drain has reportedly been allowed to give him a name.

Taking small steps to reduce stress

Are you feeling used up by life's stress, family problems and a demanding job you can't turn off? Many people are way beyond work-life exhaustion. They are functioning as robots.

Bad news: we're running out of chocolate

The world's biggest chocolate-maker says we're running out of chocolate.

Born at 23 weeks, 'Chopstick Baby' survives first week

A baby who was born at 23 weeks has survived her first week of life outside the womb.

Manic stations: the nesting instinct in pregnancy

It might sound like temporary insanity, but almost obsessive nesting as you near your due date isn’t uncommon – even if you’re not usually a particularly clean person.

How a baby can survive alone for days on end

The baby found abandoned in a Sydney drain may have been alone for up to six days without being fed, leaving many asking how he could have survived.

When it begins to look a lot like Christmas

A child's excitement at Christmas time is a beautiful thing, but one dad ponders whether his toddler daughter is getting into the festive mood a bit too soon.

Hospital lets dads the experience some of the pain of childbirth

A new experience is radically altering men's views of childbirth.

Italian doctors questioned over formula bribes

Italian police have placed 12 doctors under house arrest on suspicion of promoting baby milk formula over breastfeeding.

Heartwarming prank gives single mum the house she was hired to clean

Cara Simmons arrived at work to clean a large and beautiful house in time for a party planned for that evening. It was soon hers.

Those special moments of sibling bonding

Every now and then your child does or says something that is truly memorable.

Why we should stop telling new parents to 'enjoy every moment'

A few weeks ago, some dear friends of mine had their first baby. As the proud dad texted me a picture I had to fight the natural instinct to say “Enjoy every moment!”

Baby monitor footage posted online

Footage of Australian babies and children sleeping in their bedrooms are among the images on a Russian site showing live feeds from thousands of homes and businesses around the world.

Did this new dad really hit on his wife's midwife?

Was there really a man who was actually there by his wife’s side as she laboured and gave birth to his child, all while he was making what he perceived to be meaningful eye contact with a midwife?

Keep calm and ignore the Tantrum Trolls

Tantrum Trolls are a small but growing species of predatory bottom-feeders who delight in picking on parents at their most vulnerable.

It's okay to never 'get over' the death of a loved one

The death of children, siblings, and parents has long term impacts on the rest of our lives.

What Mark Latham needs to know about depression and motherhood

Love has nothing to do with mental illness. But love may drive a mother to do something about it.

'We're just trying to keep our child alive': life with FPIES

We have a beautiful seven-month-old son, and his allergy rules our life.

Transgender dad breastfeeds his babies

A transgender man who breastfed his first baby - despite having his breasts removed as part of his transformation from female to male - has now had a second child.

Couple face $1 million medical bill and bankruptcy after babymoon birth

A Canadian couple were slammed with a million dollar medical bill after their daughter was prematurely during their babymoon.

Cigarettes, junk food dominate supermarket sales growth

One in every five dollars spent at supermarkets goes on cigarettes or junk food, according to industry data.

Teacher under fire for breastfeeding in class

There is no doubt mums have a right to continue breastfeeding after they have returned to work, but one teacher in the US has taken it to the extreme.

Win a family pass to Disney Live!

We have 4 family passes to give away to see Disney Live! presents Three Classic Fairy Tales, touring Australia this December/January.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Join PADDINGTON on the red carpet!

To celebrate the release of PADDINGTON, we are giving five lucky winners the chance to win a family pass to the exclusive Australian Premiere in Sydney on December 7!

The tragedy of losing a favourite teddy bear

We were green and uninitiated, perhaps a little naïve when it came to the favourite toy responsibility.

Video: Baby sniffs beardless dad to make sure it's him

She looks him up and down and then touches his chin, but baby Lindsey still isn't sure this clean-shaven man is her dad.

It's possible to workout while pregnant

Medical experts say intense fitness routines can be done safely during pregnancy - if the mums-to-be follow some guidelines.

What parents really want for their kids

Are our hopes, dreams and expectations for our children what they really need?

'I had a feeling something was seriously wrong'

Before even giving birth, Katie Myers' maternal instincts warned her something was wrong with her baby.

When your pregnancy causes a relationship rift

Some dads-to-be don't miss a beat when their partner is pregnant; others struggle with a range of issues and can become withdrawn, right when their support is needed most.

Couple uses group photo trick to announce pregnancy to loved ones

Katharine and Kris Camilli devised a clever trick to immortalise their family and friends' reactions to their exciting pregnancy news.

Why Tracey Spicer has given up make-up

"After 30 years on television, I had become what I despised: a painted doll who spent an hour a day and close to $200 a week putting on a mask."

Knowing you are one of the lucky ones

I am secure, confident and strong, but the responsibility of protecting my children can almost bring me undone.

Why I am so emotional now I have kids?

There are so many ways in which parenthood changes us as women, but one of the most noticeable, for me, has been the changing state of my emotions.

Baby survives despite sharing womb with 'foreign body'

Baby Maia was conceived against the odds, only to find she was sharing a womb with an ominous "foreign body".

Video: Baby shows dog how to jump - or vice versa

They say dog is man's best friend, but this playful pooch seems to have chosen a jumping baby as her number one buddy.

10 ways to soothe a crying baby

New paernts can get frustrated when their newborn gets fussy and can't settle down. When you're feeling overwhelmed, try some of these simple tips to help soothe your baby.

20 baby names that are becoming more popular every year

The data-lovers at nameberry.com have been at it again – this time, they’ve discovered the names that are continually rising up the ranks, ready to take out some top spots in the next few years.

10 great meals to make for new parents

Ideally, you want to give food that isn’t expensive to make, isn't too difficult to create, and freezes well; stews, bakes, soups and pasta sauces are perfect.

Weird pregnancy products

Some pregnancy products come to market and are just awesome. Others just leave you scratching your head.

Carers admit to force-feeding children

Two children who were given to the wrong families at birth will soon learn if they will be returned to their biological parents.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.