USA travel thread #34

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
156 replies to this topic

#1 Therese

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:07 PM

New thread time chatty ladies biggrin.gif (I love this thread btw, you are all so helpful and lovely!)

Your last thread is Here

#2 **Jilly**

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:09 PM

GOLD !!!!!!!

Cannot believe that - I typed up my response and wondered why I couldn't post it!!!!! This is why!!!

First time ever....

Please add me - September/October 2013 LA, Anaheim, Las Vegas, San Francisco and Hawaii

At this stage probably staying at Paradise Pier Hotel!

#3 New_display_name

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:21 PM

Silver

#4 New_display_name

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:28 PM

Went to the travel expo yesterday and the travel agent was able to get the flights $200 cheaper than I could find. so $1620 each return on Hawaiian and also Internal mainland flights with Hawaiian.

I'm just going over the finer details but it's looking like

18th October Syd > Hawaii
25th October Hawaii > Vegas
18th November La> Hawaii
22nd November Hawaii> Sydney

The accommodation that they put together is wrong and way overpriced. So will be picking your brain Kee for where is good to stay in Hawaii.

No idea what to do or see in Hawaii, and will be sans kids as they don't want to miss school. I have the weirdest kids in the world.

We have a wedding to go to in Vegas so will have a week there to explore, then thinking of getting some cruises to the bahamas, mexico or something.

Another Kee question... What is the best port to cruise in and out of? I'm thinking Miami so then may need to factor in another internal flight or something....

#5 ~Kee~In~Hawaii~

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:40 PM

THE LIST

1fornow - 16 Feb-16 Mar 2013 - L.A, Vegas, Washington, NYC, San Francisco.

ellabellasmumma - 4th March - 28th March - LA, Niagara Falls, NYC, San Francisco, San Diego, LA, Las Vegas, Hawaii

lazno
- 12 - 25 March 2013 - Hawaii

Fairey - 14th March - 4th April 2013 - New York, Disneyworld, Miami, Niagara Falls, Boston, Washington DC, New York

Holidaysfor8 - March 19th - April 27th, 2013 - New York, Washington, Chicago, Nashville, Orlando, Miami, LA

Supermum3 - 22nd March - 22nd April 2013 - LA, Sacramento, San Francisco, Las Vegas, New York

Jo_P - 29th March-13th April 2013 - Hawaii

Feelwild - April 2013 - Hawaii

Albie - April 2013 - Hawaii

oops twins - 2nd - 20th April 2013 - Mel, Anaheim, Phoenix, Grand Canyon, Sedona, Las Vegas, Mel

Madlock - May 2013 - Disney World

Mrs_Collins
- 10th May-13th June, Motorhome from LA, down south, New York, Canada then back to LA

teejay - May/June 2013 - Anaheim, Vegas, New York, Washington DC, Gillette, Yellowstone Park, LA

Bec – May/June 2013 - La-Anaheim-SanFran-NYC-SanDiego-LA

Nanaimo Girl – May/June 2013 – Anaheim, Las Vegas, Canada

kirsty38 - 26th May-4th June, Honolulu

Supermum3 - 7th June - 22nd June 2013 - Lake Tahoe, Seattle

misty85 - August/September 2013 - Las Vegas, Flagstaff, San Diego, Anaheim.

lamarque - 29th August - 18 September 2013 - NYC, Anaheim, Santa Monica

mellie kate - 5th September 2013 - 11th 0ctober 2013 - NYC, Waikiki, Cruise Hawaii to Sydney

Kristin5 - Sept/Oct 2013 - Anaheim, Denver, Vegas, San Fran

**Jilly** - Sept/Oct 2013 - LA, Anaheim, Las Vegas, San Francisco, Hawaii

UncommonSense - Sep/Oct 2013

sims11 – September 12th - October 22nd 2013. Orlando, Disney Caribbean Cruise, Washington DC, Niagara Falls, and New York.

kee - September 18th - October 23rd 2013 Waikiki, Cruise Honolulu to Sydney

Becca81 - 24 Oct - 2nd Dec 2013 - LA, Las Vegas, Cancun, Orlando, Caribbean Cruise, Orlando, New Orleans, Las Vegas, LA

jai* - October/November 2013 - Hawaii, cruise Hawaii to Sydney

*MESS* - October 2013- Hawaii, LA, San Fran, NY, DC, Boston

IVL – 2013- LA, Canada, Mexico

Fabulous - Late Novemeber 2013 - Early January 2014 - Atlanta - Charleston - Savannah - Orlando - New Orleans

Kelsta1978 - December 2013 - Anaheim, San Diego, Kansas, Colorado, Fort Worth

jumpingbeans – December 2013, LA, San Diego, Hawaii

2anewme – December 2013, Hawaii

traceybrown - Feb 2014, LA, San Fran, NYC, Orlando

Jo_P – April 2014, Chicago, Orlando, Caribbean Disney Cruise

CarnivalKid - June/July, 2014 USA

Kee - Aug 9th - Sep 13th 2014 - Hawaii, Las Vegas, Miami, Caribbean/Mexico Cruise (Oasis of the Seas), NYC, LA (Disneyland), Hawaii

Lena - Oct/Nov/Dec 2016 - Hawaii, San Fran, Yosemite, Anaheim, San Diego, Las Vegas, Orlando, Niagra Falls, New York and Hawaii

Kabailz - Dec 2017…it’s never too early to start planning!

Lisacat - 2018 - Anaheim, LA, Vegas

If there's anyone who needs to be added or anything that needs to be updated, let me know.

Anaheim dates:

Nanaimo Girl
Disneyland Hotel
17th-25th May 2013

Madlock
Disneyland Hotel
31st August - 6th Sept 2013

Kee
Red Lion Anaheim
Aug 30th - Sept 4th 2014

Edited by ~Kee~In~Hawaii~, 20 February 2013 - 09:07 AM.

#6 ~Kee~In~Hawaii~

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:54 PM

Have posted the list straight away (hope you don't mind Jo) and updated your details Holidaysfor8 - thanks for the cyber hugs too! original.gif

You're on the list for the first time Jilly biggrin.gif

Let me know if there's any other changes or additions and I'll update asap.

Becca: Cruises to the Bahamas etc tend to leave mainly from Florida - the Port of Miami and also Ft Lauderdale as well. You can see what cruises sail out of these ports in the months you are there on VacationsToGo to get an idea of what your choices are.

As for places to stay in Hawaii (Waikiki only?), what are the criteria you want your accommodation to meet? Budget? There's heaps of options but it depends what you are looking for exactly.

#7 Peanut

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:01 PM

Woah....I blinked and a new thread popped up.  Magic!!   biggrin.gif

#8 Fairey

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:13 PM

Can I please, pretty please be added to that list? (Third times a charm)

14th March - 4th April New York, Disney World, Miami, Niagara Falls,  Boston, Washington DC, New York

#9 Fairey

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:13 PM

Double Post

Edited by Fairey, 11 February 2013 - 08:15 PM.

#10 ~Kee~In~Hawaii~

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:24 PM

You're on the list Fairey original.gif

#11 Holidaysfor8

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:25 PM

NO FAIREY YOU CAN'T GO ON THE LIST!!!!!I was just showing hubby and saying YAY were 3rd!!!!AND last time we went someone left a couple of days before us so we were only at the number one position for 3 days - I got excited cos we'd have poll position for a whole week!!!!!
Grrrr
Just kidding FAIREY - I really am happy for you original.gif

#12 ellabellasmumma

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:28 PM

Hi girls,

Can i please be added to the list. In three weeks ill be on a plane yikes, so not long to go

4th March - mel - la - niagra falls (canadian side)
6th march - NYC
14th March - San Fran
16th March - San Diego
18th March LA
22nd March Las Vegas
24th March Hawaii
28th March Hawaii - Mel

EKKKK cant wait!!!

#13 Fairey

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:32 PM

You rock my world, Kee  happy.gif

I'm really sorry holidays!!  rolleyes.gif

#14 Holidaysfor8

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:50 PM

Lol thats okay Fairey - now Ellabellasmummy has jumped in front if both of us

Shoved from 3rd to 5th in the space of an hour 'sniff'  lol

So does anyone know about the packages to your hotel? Has anyone done it at the Affinia Manhattan?

#15 ~Kee~In~Hawaii~

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:51 PM

Sorry Holidays! Don't worry, you're still ahead of me (by months and months!)

You're on the list ellabellasmumma original.gif

Jo: Did you watch Hawaii 5-0 tonight? The opening gun fight scene was filmed in the front driveway of the Ilikai Hotel biggrin.gif

Edited by ~Kee~In~Hawaii~, 11 February 2013 - 09:05 PM.

#16 regandrog

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:45 AM

THose of you who have booked the Affina Manhattan, what do think about the reviews that say it is noisy?
I am thinking of jumping on the bandwagon and booking there but am not sure about noise? We are used to silence at night.
Is is just the case everywhere is going to be noisy in manhattan, or is it an overreaction by reviewers?

We are going to be taking AMTRAK from Penn station to WAshington DC so the location looks very convenient for that.

#17 Holidaysfor8

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:22 AM

regandrog - I have never been to NYC but from the reviews I've read about not only the Affinia Manhattan but every other accom, and reviews about NYC in general ALL say that no matter where you are in Manhattan and most areas you will hear the sirens, city noises etc - thats why they say it never sleeps original.gif

Ive also read on various hotels that the noise level can vary with what side of the hotel your on, what floor etc etc so two families could be in the same hotel and have 2 totally different experiences lol

I read reviews on about 4 different sites about the AM and really the vast majority were very good - if you go back a bit you find complaints about the outdated furniture but they are before the revamp

We are paying a bit more than we really wanted to but at the end of the day the location is just awesome and I'm hoping that we will have so much fun during the day that by the time we crawl into the bed we won't hear a thing anyways hehe

When are you going over?

#18 ~Kee~In~Hawaii~

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:28 AM

Holidaysfor8: Sorry, I completely forgot to answer your question about sending packages to the hotel. I've done this before and a lot of the other girls here have and basically we've all either called the hotel to let them know that things will be arriving in the lead up to your stay so can they just put them away for you until you get there or send an email to ask them the same thing. A good hotel will have your packages sitting in your room when you check in. When I buy online from US stores before a trip there, I just put the hotel address in the delivery address at the checkout. As long as you've let the hotel know before hand, they are generally fine with accepting packages for guests before your stay. Obviously not too far in advance, I tend to do a mad shop a week before I am due to arrive, knowing that most US post only takes a day or two to arrive at the hotel.

I'm doing my ESTA today just so I feel like I'm doing something for the trip. I feel like I've come to a stand-still lately because everything that can be booked has been and now there's nothing to do until July  dry.gif Makes for a very boring time indeed. I even have the e-tickets, boarding passes and baggage tags for the Easter cruise all done so that trip can't even side-track me from the long wait until the Hawaii trip. Perhaps I need to book another holiday completely?? wink.gif

Has the issues with Carnival Cruise Line and their stranded ship off Mexico put everyone off cruising? I hope not, I'm on the lookout for discounted Carnival cruises to Mexico now! lol Anywhere I can save a dollar is fine by me and I'd be the last person to complain about being stuck on a cruise ship for extra days!

#19 samui

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:13 AM

Hi again!
This is a great thread! So glad I found you all at this exciting time!!

teejay-  thanks for your welcome!! I think you were asking re accom? I have been to NYC once before 2 years ago and stayed at Hilton Garden Inn Times Square and we found that a great location and price.  It was just my DH and i that time though and it was January so we only paid about $140 a night!!  My SIL stayed at Milford maybe 3 years ago and they did not rate it. Not sure if it has changed though?  This time around we are staying in the Doubletree Guest Suites in Times Square. We chose them by the reviews on Trip advisor and also the fact that they have a separate lounge area. Think we paid just over $300 a night which I think is good for just after easter? That is for 2A and 2C.

kee-in-hawaii -- please add me to the list!  

March 29 - April 4: Vegas
April 5-12:  NYC
April 12-16: Bahamas
April 16/17: NYC

holidaysfor8:  sounds like we might be in NYC at same time?

Has anyone flown United to the states before (with kids)?  We are and got our tickets for $1100 return including the flight to Vegas and NYC!! Pretty good I think??

Any advice on whether car seats are needed over there? (my kids will be 4 1/2 and 11 months).

I have been to Vegas and NYC a couple of years ago so might be able to help with other questions.This will be our first trip there with kids though!!  Other trips I have been to San Diego, LA, San Fran, Minnesota, West Virginia, Phoenix. Think that is it.

With regards to $ in the past I have taken our visa debit cards (Bendigo Bank) and a regular visa (ANZ) and had no problems. Just use the VISA for bigger purchases and use the debit card to withdraw cash every few days from ATM (usually a good amount so I dont pay fees too many times).

When we were in NYC last time it was a blizzard and so good as there were no queues anywhere!!  We bought NYC Pass and found it good for tours and tickets etc. We booked in advance to climb to the top of the Statue of Liberty! It was hard work!!

I noticed someone mentioned shuttles as a good option over there. Any recs for Vegas? Is Dial7 the one to use in NYC?

#20 Peanut

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:41 AM

QUOTE (Holidaysfor8 @ 12/02/2013, 10:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
regandrog - I have never been to NYC but from the reviews I've read about not only the Affinia Manhattan but every other accom, and reviews about NYC in general ALL say that no matter where you are in Manhattan and most areas you will hear the sirens, city noises etc - thats why they say it never sleeps original.gif

Ive also read on various hotels that the noise level can vary with what side of the hotel your on, what floor etc etc so two families could be in the same hotel and have 2 totally different experiences lol

I read reviews on about 4 different sites about the AM and really the vast majority were very good - if you go back a bit you find complaints about the outdated furniture but they are before the revamp

We are paying a bit more than we really wanted to but at the end of the day the location is just awesome and I'm hoping that we will have so much fun during the day that by the time we crawl into the bed we won't hear a thing anyways hehe

When are you going over?

yyes.gif

I read complaints about the noise in reviews on the hotel we stayed at and to be honest, we were so buggered at the end of each busy day that we hardly even noticed it!  

#21 Fairey

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:13 PM

QUOTE (Holidaysfor8 @ 11/02/2013, 09:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lol thats okay Fairey - now Ellabellasmummy has jumped in front if both of us

Shoved from 3rd to 5th in the space of an hour 'sniff'  lol

So does anyone know about the packages to your hotel? Has anyone done it at the Affinia Manhattan?

I know!! Totally ripped off! Here I was quietly grinning to myself that I was in third, only to be booted down to fourth!!

Welcome Ellabellasmummy!

QUOTE (regandrog @ 12/02/2013, 09:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
THose of you who have booked the Affina Manhattan, what do think about the reviews that say it is noisy?
I am thinking of jumping on the bandwagon and booking there but am not sure about noise? We are used to silence at night.
Is is just the case everywhere is going to be noisy in manhattan, or is it an overreaction by reviewers?

We are going to be taking AMTRAK from Penn station to WAshington DC so the location looks very convenient for that.

I got a quote from Flight Centre in the early days for the Affinia - and they reported back that the Affinia would be doing reno's which could also be noisy - we are planning on being there from the 30th March to April 4th. We'll be coming from DC at the end, so super convenient for Penn Station!

QUOTE (samui @ 12/02/2013, 11:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Has anyone flown United to the states before (with kids)?  We are and got our tickets for $1100 return including the flight to Vegas and NYC!! Pretty good I think??

I haven't flown with United, however I DO know that if you do get a break from your kidlets for even a little bit, United don't have the personal entertainment system in the seats in front of you. They just have the swing down screens in the aisles throughout the plane.

Also - Dial 7 does indeed seem to be the recommended way to get from the airport to the hotel in NYC. Kee will happily tell you to NOT USE SUPER SHUTTLE!!!

#22 Supermum3

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:29 PM

HI

I'm off to USA on 22nd March until 22nd April and then off again on June 7th for 16 days.

We are planning quite a bit. We have decided to drive from LAX up to sacamento area.
How anyone done this drive before, its looks pretty easy on the highway, I have driven over there quite a bit so not worried about the driving sides of things more the directions.

We also have booked a few days in Las Vegas in April. Staying at Luxor, one of those places I haven't stayed at.

Also thinking about driving back to LA a day or two before we fly out. Just waondering were would be a nice place to stay and something to do.

Also thinking about New York? any ideas of a nice hotel to stay at.

Cheers Anna

#23 lamarque

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:47 PM

Kee - can you change my details on the list?   29 Aug 2013 - 18 Sept 2013 - NYC, Anaheim, Santa Monica.  Thank you.  original.gif

QUOTE (Becca81 @ 11/02/2013, 08:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The accommodation that they put together is wrong and way overpriced. So will be picking your brain Kee for where is good to stay in Hawaii.

That happened to us too Becca.  $1000.00 more for the same room via the agent!  There was also a loading on all the shuttles etc so I've decided to book those myself.  They did get our accommodation cheaper in Anaheim than what I could find though.  

QUOTE (regandrog @ 12/02/2013, 09:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

From the reviews I've read, I don't think there is a hotel in NYC that doesn't have noise issues.  I'm hoping to crash in my bed every night too being a light sleeper.  

#24 Peanut

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:10 PM

Just be sure to tip the Spiderman if you get a photo with him in Times Square!  

Times Square Spiderman punches woman for not tipping

#25 traceybrown

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:45 PM

[/b]Kee[/b] can you take us off for Nov 13 as we have booked a trip to Italy instead.  Still planning for next year.  Getting time off is our problem, going to be a tight two years and now all the kids are at school getting limited! mad.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Ambulance service under fire: baby seats to go, response times 'worse than ever'

The NSW Ambulance Service is removing child-safety seats from ambulances, while the Victorian service is facing criticism over lengthy response times following the death of a three-year-old.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Is e-reading to your toddler story time or just screen time?

When reading increasingly means swiping pages on a device, and we're advised to read to their children early and often, should parents be turning to e-readers for storytime?

Community mourns inspiring young dad

A young dad who fought a five-year battle with cancer has been remembered for his inspiring legacy at a funeral service attended by hundreds of family and friends this week.

Meningococcal kills Queensland toddler

Public health authorities say the death of a toddler in north Queensland from meningococcal disease highlights the danger the illness poses.

Nicole Kidman: 'I hope every month that I'm pregnant'

Nicole Kidman is hoping to add to her family, but says she's doubtful it will happen.

Recall: Aldi Wooden London Bus play set

Aldi has announced a recall of their popular Wooden London Bus play set.

Great gift ideas for first birthdays

From soft toys to balance bikes, here are some great ideas for first birthday gifts.

Mum learnt she was pregnant hours before giving birth

Kim Walsh arrived at the doctor with abdominal cramps. Hours later, she was cradling the baby experts told her she could never have.

How cancer has made me a better, happier person

I'm a far better person post-cancer than I ever was before. The goal now is to stay around long enough to find out who I can become, and what I can achieve.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Warnings over child pain relief doses

The Therapeutic Goods Administration has warned parents and carers over a "confusing" pain relief dosage system.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.