WWYD if your childs set homework was incorrect?
(updated post 24)

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 ~iMum~

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:25 PM

We noticed a change in the kids' homework sheets in term 4 last year and put it down to the new curriculum. A teacher aide friend of mine has said, however, that the teachers themselves still put homework sheets together, as opposed to them coming as part of a package, as I was envisaging. In any event, I noticed small errors in the homework sheets almost every week lat year. I didn't say anything at the time as it was the end of the year and everyone was tired and out of puff.

Today, DS's first lot of homework for the year (grade 4) has just come home marked from last week and he has been incorrectly marked wrong for two sections. One section is a vignette which they need to read and then answer questions about the content, and the other is about reporting verbs (circle the correct ones). The teacher has explained to DS why one of the sections was marked as incorrect, but not the other, and he is still confused as to why it is wrong.

How much am I supposed to care about errors in homework before coming across as a crazy parent and being talked about in the staff room? original.gif I really want to go see the teacher and discuss it with her, but I'm worried a) I'll be seen as one of 'those' parents and b) based on what I was seeing on homework sheets last year, that this is going to be a weekly thing. I know there is the option to opt out of homework, but that is not something we want to do in our family.

Edited by whathousework?, 12 February 2013 - 11:00 AM.

#2 BadCat

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:08 PM

I'd care.  A lot.

If you want my kid to do homework the least you can do is get it right.  An occassional error is one thing.  Every week is not on.

If the errors continue you need to complain.

#3 Quay11

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:14 PM

QUOTE (O TheHugeManatee @ 11/02/2013, 06:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd care.  A lot.

If you want my kid to do homework the least you can do is get it right.  An occassional error is one thing.  Every week is not on.

If the errors continue you need to complain.

Can your son bring it up? I'm not 'one of those parents' (they're too young) but I was certainly one of 'those' students. One of my primary school teachers was a terrible speller, poor bloke.

#4 Musk Sticks

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:18 PM

Yes, I would speak to teacher about.

It is not fair to your son. Being consistently incorrectly marked wrong could also be detrimental to a child's confidence / self esteem.

When I was in primary school, I had an incident where are teacher incorrectly marked me wrong for something. When my mother pointed it out to her, the teacher maintained that she was correct.
My mother had a university professor write a letter stating that my answer was indeed correct.

Edited by Therese, 11 February 2013 - 07:32 PM.

#5 EsmeLennox

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:22 PM

I would just go in and discuss it with the teacher. Funnily enough,  they are human too and make mistakes.

Edited by Jemstar, 11 February 2013 - 06:23 PM.

#6 Lyn29

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:24 PM

Edited by bye, 29 March 2013 - 02:31 PM.

#7 Foo-Foo-the-Snoo

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:26 PM

I would absolutely speak with the teacher. You can be polite about it, but it's certainly not fair that your son should be penalised for the teacher's mistake. Especially if it is occurring on a regular basis.

The teacher should be accountable for his / her work, and a child should be rewarded for the effort he / she puts into their homework.

#8 Lyn29

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:26 PM

Edited by bye, 29 March 2013 - 02:31 PM.

#9 Loore

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:29 PM

I'd bring it up with the teacher, particularly if its been an ongoing issue.  It's not really setting the best precedent for your DS if you let it go and his work is  continually incorrectly marked.

I probably wouldn't care so much about being talked about in the staff room.

#10 JustBeige

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:30 PM

In light of last year, I would approach the teacher about why and how it was wrong.

I would have with me my source of why I think her corrections were wrong (but make sure that they are reputable) and try and have a discussion from there.

TBH, if she did the "Im right, you are one of 'those' parents" stance, then I would write a letter to the principal and include my sources of information and ask for a response.

Its not OK to have ongoing incorrect information

#11 cira

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:32 PM

If she is regularly marking homework wrong incorrectly then how is she doing in the classroom?

I would be upset because I'd be wondering how competent the teacher was in general.

#12 Guest_CaptainOblivious_*

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:38 PM

QUOTE (Musk Sticks @ 11/02/2013, 07:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, I would speak to teacher about.

It is not fair to your son. Being consistently incorrectly marked wrong could also be detrimental to a child's confidence / self esteem.

When I was in primary school, I had an incident where are teacher incorrectly marked me wrong for something. When my mother pointed it out to her, the teacher maintained that she was correct.
My mother had a university professor write a letter stating that my answer was indeed correct.

I think your mum made a total d*ck of herself. Normal people would probably have just mentioned to their kid that everyone can make mistakes and that it's not the end of the world.

QUOTE (Lyn630 @ 11/02/2013, 07:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
IME, you'd only get talked about in the staffroom if you were abusive or acted like a self-righteous, pompous know-it-all. From your post, OP, I don't think you qualify on either count!

you mean, a bit like the PP's mum.

rolleyes.gif

Edited by Therese, 11 February 2013 - 07:36 PM.
to remove quote from a post that has since been removed

#13 Lyra

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:58 PM

As a teacher I will say that sometimes you see the same mistake over and over and over again that you actually begin to think that it's actually correct LOL

I had to double check myself once after seeing the same mistake over and over again in a grade one spelling test! And, I am an awesome speller

I would actually be more concerned in this case that the teacher is not sitting down the with either the class or the child to explain the answers. What's the point of doing the exercise if you don't know where you are going wrong?

#14 #tootired

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:05 PM

We've had a similar incident. My DS had a student teacher for most of Term 4. The kids had made dictionaries that they would write words in that they had trouble spelling often. The student teacher would write in the words into the dictionary that were spelt incorrectly in their homework. She could not spell!! Every week 5-10 words would be written into the dictionary incorrectly!
I bypassed the classroom teacher and just showed it to the Principal.

Sadly, she missed out on the full time job that came up at years end...

I think leave it for a few weeks and if it continues, take the evidence in and ask for an explanation.

#15 HRH Countrymel

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:06 PM

QUOTE (Jemstar @ 11/02/2013, 07:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would just go in and discuss it with the teacher. Funnily enough,  they are human too and make mistakes.

This.

QUOTE (Lyn630 @ 11/02/2013, 07:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
IME, you'd only get talked about in the staffroom if you were abusive or acted like a self-righteous, pompous know-it-all. From your post, OP, I don't think you qualify on either count!

And this...

I'm a teacher - If a parent quietly and helpfully pointed out where I'd made an error I would thank them, feel a bit embarrassed and make sure in the future I checked any homework sheets I had written over a few wines again when I was sober!

#16 PatG

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:14 PM

I want to know that the question and wrong answer were!  If your son can't follow the logic as to why his answer was wrong, another answer was right then he should ask twice and then I'd suggest you ask for clarification "to help explain to DS".

#17 FeralBee

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:30 PM

I think a quiet word with the teacher would be in order, since those kinds of mistakes can really confuse students as to what is correct. Teachers are not infallible, especially when they have so much on their plates sometimes, so maybe letting her know about the mistake will remind her to take a bit more care in future.

#18 Soontobegran

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:38 PM

QUOTE (Therese @ 11/02/2013, 08:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was doing my secret moderator business, no one was supposed to take notice of me wink.gif

I have quoted what she said. original.gif  Do you want to edit it?

#19 Expelliarmus

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:39 PM

Too late Tounge1.gif I seen it.

Dull pencil that I am ...

I'd go with the quiet word thing FTR

Edited by howdo, 11 February 2013 - 07:40 PM.

#20 Therese

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:40 PM

I have removed it now original.gif

EB is being very slow for me tonight, I do apologise original.gif

I have just edited out a comment that was deliberately inflammatory and then posts that quoted it.

#21 Fifi

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:46 PM

Sorry Musk sticks - that is offensive. I got top Hsc results, have 2 degrees and 2 post grad degrees. My parents were both teachers and while they said I should choose another career, I discovered teaching was my passion. Please don't generalize about teachers and how smart they are. Your opinion persuades many gifted students to take up alternate careers when they could be shaping student's lives. I know a lot of very smart teachers original.gif

In saying that, unfortunately OP I have come across your problem this year with my own son's teacher. His homework has come home unmarked after the first week sad.gif His English book showed that his teacher had no understanding of teaching digraphs sad.gif I am unsure what to do because I also don't want to be known as "that parent". I have decided to leave it a few weeks and see how things settle but I will definitely say something politely if things don't start looking up.

Good luck with it original.gif

#22 L&E

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:53 PM

The issue isn't that the teacher has made an error. Surely it is that the child doesn't understand why/if they are correct or not, and if they are how to be correct next time.

To err is to be human, but a teacher needs to use homework to guide planning of future learning, whether whole class or individual. Your son is grade 4? I would ask him to seek clarification himself, it's his homework and he should be becoming independent with his learning.

I'm now wondering how many parents go through the marking of their primary kids homework, I'm obviously slack.

Edited by L&E, 11 February 2013 - 07:55 PM.

#23 Expelliarmus

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:01 PM

I don't either L&E. never occurred to me. The one time DD1 thought her teacher was wrong he was right and I told her so!

#24 ~iMum~

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:59 AM

There was drama on my thread and I missed it? Bummer.

Well, I spoke to DS's teacher this morning and came away feeling better, but still confused, and a little cranky  wacko.gif

She explained that homework doesn't really form part of the overall grade assigned, which made me feel better, and that she marks homework from a marking sheet...hmmm. I tried raising that the marking sheet doesn't appear to be entirely correct (trying to be diplomatic), and was fobbed off in that polite way that teachers do original.gif She then started telling me what a great student DS is and not to worry - doh! It seems this battle has been won by the teacher with flattery original.gif

I have since spoken to a friend who's daughter is in the same grade, but a different class. During the course of our conversation we compared the marking for the homework and her daughter was marked correct for things my DS wasn't, and vice versa - WTF?! Inconsistent marking...hmmm... oomg.gif  nno2.gif

For those interested, here's the homework in question (I'll post the teachers answers later):

Q1. How do plants provide shelter for animals?

Plants provide shelter for animals in several ways. They shield animals from predators and the harsh environment, like the hot sun, cold snow and torrential rain. The [sic] also provide a place to hunt from.

The tropical rainforest provides shelter to over 20% of the world's species of animals. Many animals acutally live in the trees themselves - these are called arboreal animals. Trees and plants don't always just provide shelter, they can also provide a source of food for the animals that live there. For example, birds that build their nests in trees can feed off the bugs that live in the bark. Others use the canopy as shelter to protect them from being eaten or as a base where they can wait for prey to walk by.

There are many different names for different types of animal shelters. Some examples are: den, nest, cave, lodge, burrow.

What is the name given to animals who live in trees?
Name two reasons some animals use plants for shelter.
Name three animals that use plants for shelter.

Q2. Circle the verbs that you might use if you wanted to report your findings.
I paint
I conclude
I argue
I jump
I hammer
I eat
I suggest
I shout
I understand
I summarise
I support
I observe

#25 Phascogale

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:14 AM

The questions seen pretty self explanatory (despite the spelling/grammatical error) and I'm curious as to what the teachers answer are so post sooner rather than later.

I've had my kids homework marked incorrectly occasionally.  Sometimes it's in the spelling words (picked up when I read out the words to the kids to do a practice spell) or it's just something that's wrong.

Usually I will mention it to the teacher - quietly, sometimes I don't bother depending on the issue and whether I have time.  Sometimes I just tell my kids that the word is incorrectly spelt and prove it (with a dictionary) if required.  I just explain that sometimes mistakes are made and to just get on with it.  As long as they know the correct answer.  If it's going to make a difference to their marks then I would have a formal chat with the teacher.

I'd only be worried if it was consistent or a large part was very incorrect.  If the teacher is consistently wrong then I'd be questioning her/his ability to teach my child for the year and would be having a chat with the principal (after of course mentioning my concerns - in a nice way -  to the teacher).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Special Ticket Offer, Save $8!

The Essential Baby & Toddler Show is back this April! Save $8 off the door price for a limited time only!

Finding baby name inspiration in unusual places

Sometimes the greatest baby name ideas come from the most unexpected places, as these EB members show.

The case for inducing at 37 weeks

While we often think of pregnancy as a 40 week affair, experts agree that 37 weeks is actually “full term". So is there an argument for inducing all births at 37 weeks?

Does controlled crying really work?

Controlled-crying techniques may help some babies sleep through the night, but for many exhausted new parents, it's just a recipe for more tears all round.

How I taught my infant to use a toilet

As people become more aware of these benefits, I hope more parents will practice this method, so we can cut down on nappies and improve baby bonding.

'I thought it was impossible': Emily Symons pregnant at 45

Aussie actress Emily Symons has announced she is pregnant with her first baby.

Shallow water blackout kills fit, healthy dad

A little girl will grow up without her father after the fit and healthy 34-year-old passed away while doing something he had practised his whole life.

Afternoon naps may be bad for toddlers' sleep

You could be doing yourself a disservice by encouraging your toddler to have an afternoon nap, according to new research.

Best gifts for newborns, new mums and christenings

We've compiled a guide to some of the most popular presents for newborns and new mums, and for christenings and naming days.

Jaime King to be a mum again

Actress Jaime King is pregnant with her second child, giving 16-month-old James a sibling.

Nannies should receive government funding

The Abbott government should extend funding to nannies, and direct childcare payments to low and middle income families, a landmark study on childcare has found. 

Common skin irritations in newborns (and how to treat them)

As many as one in two newborn babies suffer from skin irritations in their first few weeks. So what are the most common rashes and irritations to look out for?

10 wall decals for the nursery or playroom

Wall decals are the answer to creating a beautiful nursery or children's space without lifting a paint brush, a spirit level or even a hammer.

Preschooler walks 2.4km home alone

Three-year-old Cain Trainor headed off home after his first day at a new preschool without telling anyone.

Video: Why mums get nothing done

In spite of being in an almost constant state of motion while looking after the kids and trying to keep things together at home, it can seem as though parents have managed to get nothing on the to-do list done by the end of the day.

The middle name game

The middle name is no longer an afterthought, and parents' inspiration comes from many places.

Have a baby or your money back - but there's a catch

A new IVF scheme offers couples the chance to fall pregnant and give birth - or get their money back. But there's more to it than you might think.

A rare glimpse inside the womb

A baby born still inside the amniotic sac gave US doctors a rare glimpse at life inside the womb.

Battered mum forced to write to her attacker ex in jail

Three years ago Jason Hughes viciously attacked his ex-partner. Now she has to write to him three times a year.

Woman pleads not guilty to ultrasound scam

A West Australian woman will fight allegations that she scammed expectant mums by selling them fake ultrasound pictures of babies.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Brain damaged mum receives compensation

A Sydney mother who suffered brain damage when she was hit by a car while pushing her newborn baby in a pram has reached a confidential out-of-court settlement with the driver's insurance company.

Indigenous midwives break down the barriers

A culturally sensitive midwifery service has gained the trust and respect of Aboriginal women.

The Katering Show's next big delivery

Most mums-to-be plan to take things easy and perhaps have a little break from work as the birth of their baby draws near. Not Kate McCartney.

53 creative pregnancy announcements

Announcing that you're expecting can be a time to express your creativity, sense of humour and imagination. Check out how other parents and parents-to-be have broken the news to friends and family.

Why I have mixed feelings about Cindy Crawford's leaked photo

Last week an un-retouched photo of model Cindy Crawford surfaced, showing the 48-year-old mother-of -two posing in underwear.

How to create a Peppa Pig pancake

Thought your toddler could not love pancakes any more than they already do? How about if the breakfast treat came in the shape of every two-year-old's favourite cartoon character?

'It's a little life, not a little loss': pregnancy after miscarriage

I thought I was never going to be able to have a successful pregnancy. I decided that I wasn't going to form an emotional attachment with this baby.

Bonds Baby Search 2015: what you need to know

February 18 marks the start of one of the most prolific annual baby competitions in Australia: the Bonds Baby Search. And this year is going to be more special than ever.

Who will manage your Facebook account when you're gone?

This is not something that people like to talk about, but Facebook has announced that it will grant users more control over what happens to their pages after they die.

Struggling mum of four wins $188 million

Mother of four Marie Holmes was financially struggling after quitting her jobs at Walmart and McDonald's in order to care for her children.

Pregnant obese women a 'relatively new problem', coroner hears

A first-time mother whose daughter died hours after her frightening birth insists she was never told of the risks of being obese and pregnant.

'I'm angry as hell': the story behind mum's passionate vaccination plea

She has labelled parents who do not vaccinate their children "misinformed imbeciles" - and for that, she makes no apologies.

IKEA hacks for the nursery and kids' rooms

Are you one of those that know the whole IKEA catalogue by heart? Love their stuff but want to personalise it? Here's some inspiration to help you realise the potential of IKEA furniture and fittings.

8 different kinds of tantrums

I never thought I’d say this, but for a brief moment last week, Kim Kardashian and I had something in common: both our kids had public tantrums.

Polycystic ovary syndrome: symptoms, treatment and your fertility

Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is the most common female hormonal condition, affecting roughly one in 12 Australian women.

What's the best position for giving birth?

If doing it on your back is out, what's the best position for labour and birth?

Wife forgives snake catcher husband for car surprise

With Valentine's Day coming up, Nat Gilbert could be forgiven for thinking her husband might be planning a surprise for her.

Kids who meet milestones at their own pace

We usually only hear the success stories: tales of the two-year-old who’s talking, running and completely toilet trained. But other stories need to be told too.

Ruby shines as Bonds Baby

Sarah Kiss has a word of advice for proud mums and dads who are keen to enter their babies in this year's Bonds Baby Search Competition - just have fun.

Why dads should go to sleep school

If your family needs to go to sleep school, go with them. You are part of that family and you are part of the solution.

36 baby names inspired by food and drinks

A French court may have ruled out Nutella as a baby name, but that doesn't have to stop you from taking inspiration from the supermarket (or bottle shop). See what parents in the US have chosen for their delicious little ones.

Clever breastfeeding products

Check out this range of products designed to help make your breastfeeding journey more enjoyable, manageable and convenient.

Win a KitchenAid Mixer

Let's celebrate 300,000 fans on Facebook

To celebrate, and to thank our amazing fans, we?re giving away a KitchenAid Artisan Tilt-Head Stand Mixer.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.