WWYD if your childs set homework was incorrect?
(updated post 24)

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 ~iMum~

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:25 PM

We noticed a change in the kids' homework sheets in term 4 last year and put it down to the new curriculum. A teacher aide friend of mine has said, however, that the teachers themselves still put homework sheets together, as opposed to them coming as part of a package, as I was envisaging. In any event, I noticed small errors in the homework sheets almost every week lat year. I didn't say anything at the time as it was the end of the year and everyone was tired and out of puff.

Today, DS's first lot of homework for the year (grade 4) has just come home marked from last week and he has been incorrectly marked wrong for two sections. One section is a vignette which they need to read and then answer questions about the content, and the other is about reporting verbs (circle the correct ones). The teacher has explained to DS why one of the sections was marked as incorrect, but not the other, and he is still confused as to why it is wrong.

How much am I supposed to care about errors in homework before coming across as a crazy parent and being talked about in the staff room? original.gif I really want to go see the teacher and discuss it with her, but I'm worried a) I'll be seen as one of 'those' parents and b) based on what I was seeing on homework sheets last year, that this is going to be a weekly thing. I know there is the option to opt out of homework, but that is not something we want to do in our family.

Edited by whathousework?, 12 February 2013 - 11:00 AM.

#2 BadCat

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:08 PM

I'd care.  A lot.

If you want my kid to do homework the least you can do is get it right.  An occassional error is one thing.  Every week is not on.

If the errors continue you need to complain.

#3 Quay11

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:14 PM

QUOTE (O TheHugeManatee @ 11/02/2013, 06:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd care.  A lot.

If you want my kid to do homework the least you can do is get it right.  An occassional error is one thing.  Every week is not on.

If the errors continue you need to complain.

Can your son bring it up? I'm not 'one of those parents' (they're too young) but I was certainly one of 'those' students. One of my primary school teachers was a terrible speller, poor bloke.

#4 Musk Sticks

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:18 PM

Yes, I would speak to teacher about.

It is not fair to your son. Being consistently incorrectly marked wrong could also be detrimental to a child's confidence / self esteem.

When I was in primary school, I had an incident where are teacher incorrectly marked me wrong for something. When my mother pointed it out to her, the teacher maintained that she was correct.
My mother had a university professor write a letter stating that my answer was indeed correct.

Edited by Therese, 11 February 2013 - 07:32 PM.

#5 EsmeLennox

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:22 PM

I would just go in and discuss it with the teacher. Funnily enough,  they are human too and make mistakes.

Edited by Jemstar, 11 February 2013 - 06:23 PM.

#6 Lyn29

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:24 PM

Edited by bye, 29 March 2013 - 02:31 PM.

#7 Foo-Foo-the-Snoo

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:26 PM

I would absolutely speak with the teacher. You can be polite about it, but it's certainly not fair that your son should be penalised for the teacher's mistake. Especially if it is occurring on a regular basis.

The teacher should be accountable for his / her work, and a child should be rewarded for the effort he / she puts into their homework.

#8 Lyn29

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:26 PM

Edited by bye, 29 March 2013 - 02:31 PM.

#9 Loore

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:29 PM

I'd bring it up with the teacher, particularly if its been an ongoing issue.  It's not really setting the best precedent for your DS if you let it go and his work is  continually incorrectly marked.

I probably wouldn't care so much about being talked about in the staff room.

#10 JustBeige

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:30 PM

In light of last year, I would approach the teacher about why and how it was wrong.

I would have with me my source of why I think her corrections were wrong (but make sure that they are reputable) and try and have a discussion from there.

TBH, if she did the "Im right, you are one of 'those' parents" stance, then I would write a letter to the principal and include my sources of information and ask for a response.

Its not OK to have ongoing incorrect information

#11 cira

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:32 PM

If she is regularly marking homework wrong incorrectly then how is she doing in the classroom?

I would be upset because I'd be wondering how competent the teacher was in general.

#12 Guest_CaptainOblivious_*

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:38 PM

QUOTE (Musk Sticks @ 11/02/2013, 07:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, I would speak to teacher about.

It is not fair to your son. Being consistently incorrectly marked wrong could also be detrimental to a child's confidence / self esteem.

When I was in primary school, I had an incident where are teacher incorrectly marked me wrong for something. When my mother pointed it out to her, the teacher maintained that she was correct.
My mother had a university professor write a letter stating that my answer was indeed correct.

I think your mum made a total d*ck of herself. Normal people would probably have just mentioned to their kid that everyone can make mistakes and that it's not the end of the world.

QUOTE (Lyn630 @ 11/02/2013, 07:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
IME, you'd only get talked about in the staffroom if you were abusive or acted like a self-righteous, pompous know-it-all. From your post, OP, I don't think you qualify on either count!

you mean, a bit like the PP's mum.

rolleyes.gif

Edited by Therese, 11 February 2013 - 07:36 PM.
to remove quote from a post that has since been removed

#13 Lyra

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:58 PM

As a teacher I will say that sometimes you see the same mistake over and over and over again that you actually begin to think that it's actually correct LOL

I had to double check myself once after seeing the same mistake over and over again in a grade one spelling test! And, I am an awesome speller

I would actually be more concerned in this case that the teacher is not sitting down the with either the class or the child to explain the answers. What's the point of doing the exercise if you don't know where you are going wrong?

#14 #tootired

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:05 PM

We've had a similar incident. My DS had a student teacher for most of Term 4. The kids had made dictionaries that they would write words in that they had trouble spelling often. The student teacher would write in the words into the dictionary that were spelt incorrectly in their homework. She could not spell!! Every week 5-10 words would be written into the dictionary incorrectly!
I bypassed the classroom teacher and just showed it to the Principal.

Sadly, she missed out on the full time job that came up at years end...

I think leave it for a few weeks and if it continues, take the evidence in and ask for an explanation.

#15 CountryFeral

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:06 PM

QUOTE (Jemstar @ 11/02/2013, 07:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would just go in and discuss it with the teacher. Funnily enough,  they are human too and make mistakes.

This.

QUOTE (Lyn630 @ 11/02/2013, 07:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
IME, you'd only get talked about in the staffroom if you were abusive or acted like a self-righteous, pompous know-it-all. From your post, OP, I don't think you qualify on either count!

And this...

I'm a teacher - If a parent quietly and helpfully pointed out where I'd made an error I would thank them, feel a bit embarrassed and make sure in the future I checked any homework sheets I had written over a few wines again when I was sober!

#16 PatG

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:14 PM

I want to know that the question and wrong answer were!  If your son can't follow the logic as to why his answer was wrong, another answer was right then he should ask twice and then I'd suggest you ask for clarification "to help explain to DS".

#17 FeralSqueakyBee

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:30 PM

I think a quiet word with the teacher would be in order, since those kinds of mistakes can really confuse students as to what is correct. Teachers are not infallible, especially when they have so much on their plates sometimes, so maybe letting her know about the mistake will remind her to take a bit more care in future.

#18 Soontobegran

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:38 PM

QUOTE (Therese @ 11/02/2013, 08:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was doing my secret moderator business, no one was supposed to take notice of me wink.gif

I have quoted what she said. original.gif  Do you want to edit it?

#19 Expelliarmus

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:39 PM

Too late Tounge1.gif I seen it.

Dull pencil that I am ...

I'd go with the quiet word thing FTR

Edited by howdo, 11 February 2013 - 07:40 PM.

#20 Therese

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:40 PM

I have removed it now original.gif

EB is being very slow for me tonight, I do apologise original.gif

I have just edited out a comment that was deliberately inflammatory and then posts that quoted it.

#21 Fifi

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:46 PM

Sorry Musk sticks - that is offensive. I got top Hsc results, have 2 degrees and 2 post grad degrees. My parents were both teachers and while they said I should choose another career, I discovered teaching was my passion. Please don't generalize about teachers and how smart they are. Your opinion persuades many gifted students to take up alternate careers when they could be shaping student's lives. I know a lot of very smart teachers original.gif

In saying that, unfortunately OP I have come across your problem this year with my own son's teacher. His homework has come home unmarked after the first week sad.gif His English book showed that his teacher had no understanding of teaching digraphs sad.gif I am unsure what to do because I also don't want to be known as "that parent". I have decided to leave it a few weeks and see how things settle but I will definitely say something politely if things don't start looking up.

Good luck with it original.gif

#22 L&E

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:53 PM

The issue isn't that the teacher has made an error. Surely it is that the child doesn't understand why/if they are correct or not, and if they are how to be correct next time.

To err is to be human, but a teacher needs to use homework to guide planning of future learning, whether whole class or individual. Your son is grade 4? I would ask him to seek clarification himself, it's his homework and he should be becoming independent with his learning.

I'm now wondering how many parents go through the marking of their primary kids homework, I'm obviously slack.

Edited by L&E, 11 February 2013 - 07:55 PM.

#23 Expelliarmus

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:01 PM

I don't either L&E. never occurred to me. The one time DD1 thought her teacher was wrong he was right and I told her so!

#24 ~iMum~

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:59 AM

There was drama on my thread and I missed it? Bummer.

Well, I spoke to DS's teacher this morning and came away feeling better, but still confused, and a little cranky  wacko.gif

She explained that homework doesn't really form part of the overall grade assigned, which made me feel better, and that she marks homework from a marking sheet...hmmm. I tried raising that the marking sheet doesn't appear to be entirely correct (trying to be diplomatic), and was fobbed off in that polite way that teachers do original.gif She then started telling me what a great student DS is and not to worry - doh! It seems this battle has been won by the teacher with flattery original.gif

I have since spoken to a friend who's daughter is in the same grade, but a different class. During the course of our conversation we compared the marking for the homework and her daughter was marked correct for things my DS wasn't, and vice versa - WTF?! Inconsistent marking...hmmm... oomg.gif  nno2.gif

For those interested, here's the homework in question (I'll post the teachers answers later):

Q1. How do plants provide shelter for animals?

Plants provide shelter for animals in several ways. They shield animals from predators and the harsh environment, like the hot sun, cold snow and torrential rain. The [sic] also provide a place to hunt from.

The tropical rainforest provides shelter to over 20% of the world's species of animals. Many animals acutally live in the trees themselves - these are called arboreal animals. Trees and plants don't always just provide shelter, they can also provide a source of food for the animals that live there. For example, birds that build their nests in trees can feed off the bugs that live in the bark. Others use the canopy as shelter to protect them from being eaten or as a base where they can wait for prey to walk by.

There are many different names for different types of animal shelters. Some examples are: den, nest, cave, lodge, burrow.

What is the name given to animals who live in trees?
Name two reasons some animals use plants for shelter.
Name three animals that use plants for shelter.

Q2. Circle the verbs that you might use if you wanted to report your findings.
I paint
I conclude
I argue
I jump
I hammer
I eat
I suggest
I shout
I understand
I summarise
I support
I observe

#25 Phascogale

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:14 AM

The questions seen pretty self explanatory (despite the spelling/grammatical error) and I'm curious as to what the teachers answer are so post sooner rather than later.

I've had my kids homework marked incorrectly occasionally.  Sometimes it's in the spelling words (picked up when I read out the words to the kids to do a practice spell) or it's just something that's wrong.

Usually I will mention it to the teacher - quietly, sometimes I don't bother depending on the issue and whether I have time.  Sometimes I just tell my kids that the word is incorrectly spelt and prove it (with a dictionary) if required.  I just explain that sometimes mistakes are made and to just get on with it.  As long as they know the correct answer.  If it's going to make a difference to their marks then I would have a formal chat with the teacher.

I'd only be worried if it was consistent or a large part was very incorrect.  If the teacher is consistently wrong then I'd be questioning her/his ability to teach my child for the year and would be having a chat with the principal (after of course mentioning my concerns - in a nice way -  to the teacher).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

How I learnt to relax about routines

After many routine-led, tough years, we've realised that being parenting isn't about being perfect. It isn't about following a schedule to a T.

Should you have a third child or not?

I thought our family had been complete with our two boys. I had no idea how much I needed my daughter until she was here.

Helping a toddler embrace an adopted sibling

A single parent by choice, I am preparing to adopt a second baby from Morocco. And I face a special challenge.

When pregnancy messes with your self-esteem

Pregnancy doesn't make all women feel beautiful. It certainly doesn't raise every woman's self-esteem.

Join us in The BIG nappy change

Introducing the new Coles Little Explorer Nappies! You can confidently rely on Coles Little Explorer nappies at each stage of your child's growth, so take the Big Nappy Change and try new Coles Little Explorer nappies for yourself!

Robbie Williams live tweets wife's labour

And the award for most patient woman in labour goes to ... Robbie Williams' wife, Ayda Field.

Vaccine ignorance is deadly and contagious

In the absence of credible, strong political leadership, paranoia about disease can go viral.

Parenting differently based on birth order

All children have unique personalities, but keeping birth order in mind could help when parenting.

How to get rid of the mum guilt

Motherhood and guilt seem to go hand in hand, but there are ways to focus

Paid parental leave scheme grinds to a halt

The future of Prime Minister Tony Abbott's paid parental leave scheme appears to be up in the air, despite the fact it is due to begin in less than nine months.

The devastation of foetal alcohol spectrum disorders

No one's sure how many Australians are affected by foetal alcohol spectrum disorders, but the consequences for those who are can be devastating.

The pros and cons of finding out the sex of your unborn baby

It’s often one of the biggest choices parents make during the course of their pregnancy; to find out, or not to find out, the sex of their baby before it’s born.

Toddler's awesome dress up month

Two-year-old Willow and her photographer mum, Gina Lee, made October "Dress Up Willow Month". She posted photos of Willow's costumes on her Instagram account, and her creative takes on popular culture are simply adorable.

Childhood around the world

It can be easy to assume our ideas around childhood are universal, but they are particular to where we live, as these practices show.

Best picks for baby and toddler shoes

Here's a great selection of footwear from pre-walker to walker ensuring comfort and style for growing feet.

I lost my wife and daughters to Ebola - then it came for my son

Sunday, September 21, is a day I will never forget.

The 'yucky' illness that took over my life

I have a chronic illness nobody likes to discuss. It involves toilet talk, and probably caused my miscarriage. But it needs to be talked about.

Prenatal testing: the facts

Prenatal testing is done to check if a baby has certain medical conditions before birth. Here is some important information about what the tests are for and the risks involved.

5 things to do with your baby?s old clothes

Did you think your only option for your baby?s old clothes was to pack them away or give them to the Salvos? Think again.

Why it's possible to not realise you're pregnant until the baby arrives

After hearing about 'surprise babies' born to mums who didn't know they were pregnant, it's common to ask "how did she not realise?" But experts say it's entirely possible for it to happen.

'My miracle is finally here'

How has the world continued on its pace when mine has been altered so drastically?

Dairy can help older women fall pregnant: study

Ice cream may be the ultimate comfort food, but a study suggests it could also help older women to have children.

Megan Gale goes topless for 'sexiest people' cover

Six months after a heavily pregnant Megan Gale posed nude for Marie Claire, the glowing new mum has gone topless for the cover of another magazine.

A new perspective on life from living with two diseases

A mother shares her personal story about the difficulty of living with two conditions, one of which stops her from being able to see her daughter's face.

Warning about Children's Panadol dosage

The Therapeutic Goods Administration has issued a safety advisory warning parents about confusion when using the dosing syringe supplied with Children's Panadol.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Take 'The Coles Big Nappy Change' Challenge

You could become part of our Test Drive team and win one of 200 packs of Coles Little Explorer Nappies as part of our 5-day challenge.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Join us in The BIG nappy change

Introducing the new Coles Little Explorer Nappies! You can confidently rely on Coles Little Explorer nappies at each stage of your child's growth, so take the Big Nappy Change and try new Coles Little Explorer nappies for yourself!

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Weird trend

Couple has five babies in 14 months

Julie and David Grygla weren't sure they'd ever have kids - but their dreams have now well and truly come true.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.