Situation with neighbour

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 ~DragonLady~

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:19 PM

I need your opinions about what happened this morning.

We have recently moved house. We have 2 cars of which one will be parked in the driveway and one will be parked on the street. This morning as I was getting the kids in the car to take them to school I was approached by the neighbour who lives across the road. I have never met him before, not even a smile or wave. They own a humungous car, it must be at least a 12 seater. We live on a normal sized quiet suburban street and there are quite a few cars parked on the street.

The neighbour came up to me and said 'you can't park here, you need to move'. We were at this point about to leave so were moving. He proceeded to tell me that I am no longer allowed to park in front of my house as it gets in his way. I said that I will try to park a little more forward but I would be continuing to park on the street. He then told me he will call the police if I park in front of my house again. I said that I was doing nothing wrong and he is more than welcome to inform the police that I am parking legally on the street in front of my house. I then left to take the kids to school.

I would have just taken this as a case of a self-entitled neighbour but in our old house we encountered the same thing. In that case they had 2 teenage children who parked either side of their driveway and thought that rather than getting their kids to park somewhere that doesn't affect their ability to get out of their driveway, it was more appropriate to ask the strangers across the street and harass any visitors that may dare to park there.

So here's the WDYT
Is it acceptable to ask neighbours not to park in front of their house?

#2 sammyv

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:26 PM

I don't think it is reasonable to ask a neighbour not to park infront of their own house BUT he sounds like a twit who might just back into your car so I would probably not park there.

#3 boatiebabe

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:27 PM

No it is not acceptable.

Park where you want to and let him call the Police. Sure they will love to have their time wasted like that.

#4 mum2_1

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:27 PM

not ok, what a self entitled tool (i would retract the 'tool' if he could give you a legitimate and reasonable reason, but it doesn't seem that he has).  Just to clarify, not that it matters, you are parking in front of your own home? Maybe make a call to the local police so can you make absolutely sure that he is out of line.

#5 Miss Cherry

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:28 PM

As long as there is no "No Standing" sign or yellow lines, you have every right to park in front of your house. Yes it might be annoying for your neighbour but as far as I can tell from what you have described, you are doing nothing illegal.

In regards to your question, I would never dream of telling my neighbours they can't park in front of their house.

#6 amabanana

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:30 PM

As long as you are not parked illegally then park where you want.  Or, if you don't want your car to be keyed etc park in your driveway.
Your neighbour may have got further if he explained his situation and asked nicely though.  People can be so rude!

#7 LemonPie

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:30 PM

Yep, we have the same problem.

I agree, legally parked on a public road = no need to move.  The police would definitely tell him the same thing.

A bit rude I think...

Edited by LemonPie, 11 February 2013 - 03:31 PM.

#8 Tammy Swanson

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:33 PM

um no! what cheeky b*stard. If it was in front of his house I would still think he is an idiot but in front of your own house is just plain crazy.

At our last house our neighbour across the street from us asked us to park further down OUR drive way as when his wife would reverse out of their drive way she would need the whole 2 lane road plus part of our driveway to then drive out onto the street to leave her house. I thought he was nuts but did it anyway to be nice and then I saw his wife drive out one day and realised he asked because his wife was a terrible driver and had obviously reversed into the previous neighbours cars.

I think threatening to call the police on your first conversation is a little bonkers. If he says anything again say you will report him to police for harassment - fight bonkers with bonkers I say!

#9 Megs25

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:33 PM

Are you by any chance parking opposite his driveway? If you are, then you are parked illegally. If you're nowhere near his driveway, then you're fine!

#10 elmo_mum

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:35 PM

you have every right to park in front of your house if you want

heck, park in front of his house!!!
as long as there are no "no parking/standing" signs....

record his rant, and if he backs into your car, report HIM to the police!!!!

he sounds like a tosser who may willfully damage your car....

#11 tres-chic

Unacceptable. He has no right at all to try and bully you into moving your car if it's legal for you to park there.

I would keep parking wherever you want but avoid any direct unpleasantness. (Friends of ours endured years of hell over a serious neightbourhood dispute and I think it pays to be cautious).

People are here get all uptight about this sort of thing too. I wish they'd get a life.

#12 tres-chic

DP

Edited by tres-chic, 11 February 2013 - 03:36 PM.

#13 VintageEyes

Of course it is not acceptable.

I don't know why, but cars on the street seem to bring out the crazy in otherwise perfectly normal people.

For some reason they seem to think they own the whole street, not just their own property. DH was once told to move his car so the neighbour's son's girlfriend could park her car there.

#14 VintageEyes

DP

Edited by VintageEyes, 11 February 2013 - 04:02 PM.

#15 tres-chic

TP!

Edited by tres-chic, 11 February 2013 - 03:38 PM.

#16 AllyK81

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:36 PM

OP, you are completely within your rights to park in front of your own house provided you comply with any parking/permit restrictions.

That would have made me so mad! The Police are going to laugh at him if he calls!

Slightly OT, but when I lived in a share house in the burbs 10 or so years ago we a car each - 4 cars. Often, one or more would be parked over the road in front of another house. The people who owned this house had 2 cars and a double drive so plenty of room for their own cars. They never parked on the street. The husband (we called him Principal Skinner as he was in fact a school Principal) called us 'the students' and obviously HATED having us bring down the tone of the street (which we didn't!). So any time someone would park in front of his house he would come and knock on the door and make us move.

We were really intimidated by him. One day, my friend's boyfriend was over and it was HIS car in front of Principal Skinner's house. When the knock came, he answered the door. My friend's boyfriend was a 6 foot 6 inch Russian with dread locks and he was wearing a pretty special punk rock get up and whilst he was really sweet, he didn't look it! Needless to say Skinner was so intimidated we never heard from him again!

Good luck OP. Painful neighbours are the worst.

#17 Feral Farmgal

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:39 PM

According to the RACV

It is not illegal to park opposite a driveway, however you should ensure you do not obstruct access by vehicles or pedestrians to the driveway.  There are some exceptions to obstructing access to the driveway, including for public buses dropping off or picking up passengers.

#18 mini mac

Agree with PP... What a self righteous poophead!!! He didn't even ask nicely!

He is the jerk with an oversized car that sounds like he might have issues with manoveuring it!!! biggrin.gif

Hope he doesn't continue to harass you over it. Sucks to have issues with neighbours when you're a newbie to the street.

Totally different but we have a problem with our new street too, our neighbours have seriously high shrubs right out on the curb making it a blind T junction... The other day I called the council and asked them to look into it as I don't want to cause a conflict by talking to them, like your neighbour just has to you.

#19 Squeekums Da Feral

Id tell him to go jump, since he was so polite to you. Let him call the cops.

#20 NSG

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:42 PM

It may sound like an over reaction (and no doubt people will tell me that), but I would probably report the situation to the police. Only because he sounds like the kind of nasty character who may (I repeat, may!) key your car if you continue to park there. I would say to the police that you just want it on the record as you are scared of property damage. Note the person you speak to if they don't want to take down the complaint so you have a reference point. That way you have something on the record if there are any issues, and the next time you can say to him "actually I called the police and spoke to officer so and so and they advised me I am in the right". You have every right to park out the front of your house as long as there are no signs saying you can't. If people want to go out and buy cars so big they can't even reverse on to the street that is their problem, not yours!

#21 le_auteur

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:43 PM

Neighbours can be a-holes. Ours occasionally drives by our place on his way home from the pub just to scream very colourfully at us to park in our driveway (one car in garage, one on street outside our house like OP).

#22 glasnost

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:43 PM

OP you parked outside YOUR house not HIS anyway, right? In any case he is wrong, it is a public road and as long as you aren't parking your out of rego rusting old combi van he has no right to ask you not to park there and it defintely is not a police matter.

Having said that he does sound like a bit of a nut job. To avoid your car being keyed etc is there somewhere else you could park? I would avoid having a dispute with this guy at all costs.

#23 Squeekums Da Feral

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:45 PM

QUOTE (NSG @ 11/02/2013, 04:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It may sound like an over reaction (and no doubt people will tell me that), but I would probably report the situation to the police. Only because he sounds like the kind of nasty character who may (I repeat, may!) key your car if you continue to park there. I would say to the police that you just want it on the record as you are scared of property damage. Note the person you speak to if they don't want to take down the complaint so you have a reference point. That way you have something on the record if there are any issues, and the next time you can say to him "actually I called the police and spoke to officer so and so and they advised me I am in the right". You have every right to park out the front of your house as long as there are no signs saying you can't. If people want to go out and buy cars so big they can't even reverse on to the street that is their problem, not yours!

Cameras on Ebay are cheap and have really good picture. Easier than the calling the cops IMO and if/when he does its all caught on memory card.

#24 MrsDoyle

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:48 PM

It used to annoy me quite a bit when the people across the road's daughter parked opposite our driveway.  I drive an 11 seater Transit, and wasn't all that confident driving at the time, so i panicked a bit going out of the driveway.

But i would never dream of telling them not to park there.  And if i did, it would be a polite 'would you mind' type of thing, rather than a 'you must not park there'.

#25 Missy Shelby

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:49 PM

He sounds like a complete rude a*s*hole but in saying that if you are legally allowed to park there I would continue to do so but as per his request I would park a little further up.

He sounds like the kind of tool that would set his alarm for 2am and go out and damage your car as pay back if you were to stir him up.  Try and prove it then that he did, you wouldn't have a chance in hell.

What you have to remember is that you live there with your kids and stirring the pot on this one I think is just not worth it (not saying that you planned to do this though).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Win $1000 with Sea-Band

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band prize pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos gift card!

Misery loves Facebook

Facebook users are often criticised for only showing the positive, fun parts of their lives. But what about when it swings the other way, when someone uses it for the purposes of ranting about their children all the time, never posting anything positive?

Toddler's adorable impersonation of pregnant mum

Little Ellis has noticed his mum is walking differently lately, and his impersonation of her is hilarious.

'Forgotten baby syndrome' can happen to any one of us

When my third child was two months old, I strapped her into her car seat, then promptly forgot all about her. But she survived, unharmed, because it was winter, and I was lucky.

Join the Real Mums Test Drive Team

Five mums or mums-to-be will join the EB Test Drive Team and discover great items at an exclusive Big W event. (Sydney only.)

Ten things I've learned about motherhood

Never take a good night's sleep for granted. There is no logic like toddler logic. Standing on Lego hurts every time. These are the truths of parenthood.

Parenting past the toddler years: what's next?

Your baby has grown into a toddler, and now your toddler is fast approaching the preschooler stage. What can you expect as a parent?

Tips on what to pack in your hospital bag

Before giving birth I read countless lists, ended up overpacking just a little, and now know what I'll actually want to pack next time.

New app keeps tabs on your kids at childcare

Popular new technology lets parents know what their children are up to at childcare - but not everyone is a fan.

21 things I love about newborns

There?s an irresistible magic about newborns. Of course they're not all smiles and rainbows, but they are undeniably cute and remarkable in so, so many ways.

Kid-friendly hairdressers: who says haircuts can?t be fun?

I?ve found some salons who boast setups ideal for children ? you name it, they?ve thought of it. All are designed to make haircuts fun rather than stressful.

Labour pain relief may reduce risk of postnatal depression: study

Postnatal depression is a complex condition, but researchers say pain relief during labour may help some women.

Why we need better support for men after miscarriage

In a recent study, 85 per cent of men admitted feeling sadness after their partner miscarried, but almost half said they didn't share their feelings at all. What can be done to help them?

Mum in business: Kristy Chong

Kristy Chong is the managing director of Australian-made Modibodi underwear and a mum to Lucas, 6, Jason, 4, and Isaac, 6 months. She shares her advice for other mums thinking about starting their own businesses.

From toddler to preschooler: a developmental roadmap

So your toddler is growing up and will soon be entering the preschooler years. Here are a few ways to frame their development that will help you understand what?s going in those beautiful, funny, clever little heads of theirs.

Mum sacrifices an eye for her unborn baby

Motherhood is full of sacrifices, but this woman has made a life-altering one - and her baby hasn't even been born.

A grandparent by any other name

A growing number of grandparents are shunning tradition and going against conventional names - but a grandparent by any other name still gives the same awesome cuddles and kisses.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

When labour just doesn't happen

After three healthy kids, I can?t help feeling I?ve been a little ripped off. I missed out on something I had always wanted to experience, and now I?ll never get the chance.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

Win $1000 with Sea-Band

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band prize pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos gift card!

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Join the Real Mums Test Drive Team

Five mums or mums-to-be will join the EB Test Drive Team and discover great items at an exclusive Big W event. (Sydney only.)

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.