Situation with neighbour

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 ~DragonLady~

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:19 PM

I need your opinions about what happened this morning.

We have recently moved house. We have 2 cars of which one will be parked in the driveway and one will be parked on the street. This morning as I was getting the kids in the car to take them to school I was approached by the neighbour who lives across the road. I have never met him before, not even a smile or wave. They own a humungous car, it must be at least a 12 seater. We live on a normal sized quiet suburban street and there are quite a few cars parked on the street.

The neighbour came up to me and said 'you can't park here, you need to move'. We were at this point about to leave so were moving. He proceeded to tell me that I am no longer allowed to park in front of my house as it gets in his way. I said that I will try to park a little more forward but I would be continuing to park on the street. He then told me he will call the police if I park in front of my house again. I said that I was doing nothing wrong and he is more than welcome to inform the police that I am parking legally on the street in front of my house. I then left to take the kids to school.

I would have just taken this as a case of a self-entitled neighbour but in our old house we encountered the same thing. In that case they had 2 teenage children who parked either side of their driveway and thought that rather than getting their kids to park somewhere that doesn't affect their ability to get out of their driveway, it was more appropriate to ask the strangers across the street and harass any visitors that may dare to park there.

So here's the WDYT
Is it acceptable to ask neighbours not to park in front of their house?

#2 sammyv

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:26 PM

I don't think it is reasonable to ask a neighbour not to park infront of their own house BUT he sounds like a twit who might just back into your car so I would probably not park there.

#3 boatiebabe

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:27 PM

No it is not acceptable.

Park where you want to and let him call the Police. Sure they will love to have their time wasted like that.

#4 mum2_1

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:27 PM

not ok, what a self entitled tool (i would retract the 'tool' if he could give you a legitimate and reasonable reason, but it doesn't seem that he has).  Just to clarify, not that it matters, you are parking in front of your own home? Maybe make a call to the local police so can you make absolutely sure that he is out of line.

#5 Miss Cherry

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:28 PM

As long as there is no "No Standing" sign or yellow lines, you have every right to park in front of your house. Yes it might be annoying for your neighbour but as far as I can tell from what you have described, you are doing nothing illegal.

In regards to your question, I would never dream of telling my neighbours they can't park in front of their house.

#6 amabanana

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:30 PM

As long as you are not parked illegally then park where you want.  Or, if you don't want your car to be keyed etc park in your driveway.
Your neighbour may have got further if he explained his situation and asked nicely though.  People can be so rude!

#7 LemonPie

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:30 PM

Yep, we have the same problem.

I agree, legally parked on a public road = no need to move.  The police would definitely tell him the same thing.

A bit rude I think...

Edited by LemonPie, 11 February 2013 - 03:31 PM.

#8 Tammy Swanson

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:33 PM

um no! what cheeky b*stard. If it was in front of his house I would still think he is an idiot but in front of your own house is just plain crazy.

At our last house our neighbour across the street from us asked us to park further down OUR drive way as when his wife would reverse out of their drive way she would need the whole 2 lane road plus part of our driveway to then drive out onto the street to leave her house. I thought he was nuts but did it anyway to be nice and then I saw his wife drive out one day and realised he asked because his wife was a terrible driver and had obviously reversed into the previous neighbours cars.

I think threatening to call the police on your first conversation is a little bonkers. If he says anything again say you will report him to police for harassment - fight bonkers with bonkers I say!

#9 Megs25

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:33 PM

Are you by any chance parking opposite his driveway? If you are, then you are parked illegally. If you're nowhere near his driveway, then you're fine!

#10 elmo_mum

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:35 PM

you have every right to park in front of your house if you want

heck, park in front of his house!!!
as long as there are no "no parking/standing" signs....

record his rant, and if he backs into your car, report HIM to the police!!!!

he sounds like a tosser who may willfully damage your car....

#11 tres-chic

Unacceptable. He has no right at all to try and bully you into moving your car if it's legal for you to park there.

I would keep parking wherever you want but avoid any direct unpleasantness. (Friends of ours endured years of hell over a serious neightbourhood dispute and I think it pays to be cautious).

People are here get all uptight about this sort of thing too. I wish they'd get a life.

#12 tres-chic

DP

Edited by tres-chic, 11 February 2013 - 03:36 PM.

#13 VintageEyes

Of course it is not acceptable.

I don't know why, but cars on the street seem to bring out the crazy in otherwise perfectly normal people.

For some reason they seem to think they own the whole street, not just their own property. DH was once told to move his car so the neighbour's son's girlfriend could park her car there.

#14 VintageEyes

DP

Edited by VintageEyes, 11 February 2013 - 04:02 PM.

#15 tres-chic

TP!

Edited by tres-chic, 11 February 2013 - 03:38 PM.

#16 AllyK81

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:36 PM

OP, you are completely within your rights to park in front of your own house provided you comply with any parking/permit restrictions.

That would have made me so mad! The Police are going to laugh at him if he calls!

Slightly OT, but when I lived in a share house in the burbs 10 or so years ago we a car each - 4 cars. Often, one or more would be parked over the road in front of another house. The people who owned this house had 2 cars and a double drive so plenty of room for their own cars. They never parked on the street. The husband (we called him Principal Skinner as he was in fact a school Principal) called us 'the students' and obviously HATED having us bring down the tone of the street (which we didn't!). So any time someone would park in front of his house he would come and knock on the door and make us move.

We were really intimidated by him. One day, my friend's boyfriend was over and it was HIS car in front of Principal Skinner's house. When the knock came, he answered the door. My friend's boyfriend was a 6 foot 6 inch Russian with dread locks and he was wearing a pretty special punk rock get up and whilst he was really sweet, he didn't look it! Needless to say Skinner was so intimidated we never heard from him again!

Good luck OP. Painful neighbours are the worst.

#17 Feral Farmgal

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:39 PM

According to the RACV

It is not illegal to park opposite a driveway, however you should ensure you do not obstruct access by vehicles or pedestrians to the driveway.  There are some exceptions to obstructing access to the driveway, including for public buses dropping off or picking up passengers.

#18 mini mac

Agree with PP... What a self righteous poophead!!! He didn't even ask nicely!

He is the jerk with an oversized car that sounds like he might have issues with manoveuring it!!! biggrin.gif

Hope he doesn't continue to harass you over it. Sucks to have issues with neighbours when you're a newbie to the street.

Totally different but we have a problem with our new street too, our neighbours have seriously high shrubs right out on the curb making it a blind T junction... The other day I called the council and asked them to look into it as I don't want to cause a conflict by talking to them, like your neighbour just has to you.

#19 Squeekums Da Feral

Id tell him to go jump, since he was so polite to you. Let him call the cops.

#20 NSG

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:42 PM

It may sound like an over reaction (and no doubt people will tell me that), but I would probably report the situation to the police. Only because he sounds like the kind of nasty character who may (I repeat, may!) key your car if you continue to park there. I would say to the police that you just want it on the record as you are scared of property damage. Note the person you speak to if they don't want to take down the complaint so you have a reference point. That way you have something on the record if there are any issues, and the next time you can say to him "actually I called the police and spoke to officer so and so and they advised me I am in the right". You have every right to park out the front of your house as long as there are no signs saying you can't. If people want to go out and buy cars so big they can't even reverse on to the street that is their problem, not yours!

#21 le_auteur

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:43 PM

Neighbours can be a-holes. Ours occasionally drives by our place on his way home from the pub just to scream very colourfully at us to park in our driveway (one car in garage, one on street outside our house like OP).

#22 glasnost

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:43 PM

OP you parked outside YOUR house not HIS anyway, right? In any case he is wrong, it is a public road and as long as you aren't parking your out of rego rusting old combi van he has no right to ask you not to park there and it defintely is not a police matter.

Having said that he does sound like a bit of a nut job. To avoid your car being keyed etc is there somewhere else you could park? I would avoid having a dispute with this guy at all costs.

#23 Squeekums Da Feral

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:45 PM

QUOTE (NSG @ 11/02/2013, 04:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It may sound like an over reaction (and no doubt people will tell me that), but I would probably report the situation to the police. Only because he sounds like the kind of nasty character who may (I repeat, may!) key your car if you continue to park there. I would say to the police that you just want it on the record as you are scared of property damage. Note the person you speak to if they don't want to take down the complaint so you have a reference point. That way you have something on the record if there are any issues, and the next time you can say to him "actually I called the police and spoke to officer so and so and they advised me I am in the right". You have every right to park out the front of your house as long as there are no signs saying you can't. If people want to go out and buy cars so big they can't even reverse on to the street that is their problem, not yours!

Cameras on Ebay are cheap and have really good picture. Easier than the calling the cops IMO and if/when he does its all caught on memory card.

#24 No One

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:48 PM

It used to annoy me quite a bit when the people across the road's daughter parked opposite our driveway.  I drive an 11 seater Transit, and wasn't all that confident driving at the time, so i panicked a bit going out of the driveway.

But i would never dream of telling them not to park there.  And if i did, it would be a polite 'would you mind' type of thing, rather than a 'you must not park there'.

#25 Missy Shelby

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:49 PM

He sounds like a complete rude a*s*hole but in saying that if you are legally allowed to park there I would continue to do so but as per his request I would park a little further up.

He sounds like the kind of tool that would set his alarm for 2am and go out and damage your car as pay back if you were to stir him up.  Try and prove it then that he did, you wouldn't have a chance in hell.

What you have to remember is that you live there with your kids and stirring the pot on this one I think is just not worth it (not saying that you planned to do this though).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Clever panda fakes pregnancy

News that a giant panda was pregnant prompted much excitement, but it appears there were never any cubs on the way.

'I survived placenta percreta'

When writing her birth plan, Simone Pavil included an item most women wouldn?t even think about: what should happen if she was put on life support. The mum had the potentially fatal condition placenta accreta.

Managing personal space as a mum

In the midst of the early parenting years, our bodies and minds can seemingly be overtaken by our offspring. How can we balance our need for personal space with the needs of our children?

'If love could have saved you, you'd have never left'

The words "spontaneous abortion" on the hospital paperwork really got to me. My baby died; I didn't spontaneously decide to abort him.

15 classic Aussie ads

Watch some of the classic Australian ads of the 80s, 90s and 00s, and remember the catchphrases and jingles we all used to know so well ...

For and against

Should Blue Ivy have been at the VMAs?

Many were quick to condemn Beyonce and Jay Z after appearing on stage at the MTV Video Music Awards with their two-year-old daughter, but others thought it was a sweet family moment. What do you think?

Toddler attacked at gym creche

Two-year-old girl Eva Ness was left with a black eye and bite marks on her face and body after an altercation with an older child at a health club's child-minding facilities. Now her parents are calling for the centre to be closed.

Pregnancy a tricky matter of timing for FIFO couples

Manipulating rosters, coordinating 'conjugal' visits, working on site with your partner; getting pregnant can prove stressful for FIFO workers.

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

Carseats have twice as many germs as a toilet

Most parents know their child's carseat is not always squeaky clean, but they might not realise just how dirty it really is.

Doctors remove foetus from 'medical marvel' after 36 years

Doctors in India have removed the skeleton of a foetus that had been inside a woman for 36 years.

Nine months in six seconds: new parents' Vine clip a hit

We?ve seen some memorable time-lapse pregnancy and birth announcement videos before. Now one new couple has taken it to the extreme, capturing it all in just a six-second Vine video.

Sonia Kruger speaks of baby joy

Celebrity mum-to-be Sonia Kruger has spoken candidly about using donor eggs and IVF to fall pregnant at age 48.

Dressing to not impress: life through the eyes of a three-year-old

When it comes to getting dressed, my three-year-old has only one criterion: ?I don?t want to look beautiful.? And now I've worked out why.

Special nappies made with love for angel babies

Angel Baby Nappies make and provide tiny bereavement cloth nappies for pre-term stillborn babies and premature babies who pass away in the NICU.

Inside the brain of a tantruming toddler

What's going on in your child's mind in the lead-up to a tantrum? And what?s the best way to respond?

5 secrets to a long-lasting relationship

When it comes to keeping your relationship strong, it?s what you do - and not what you want - that really matters.

When 'furbabies' meet real babies

I am obsessed with my dogs, and can't imagine loving them any less once my baby arrives. But that doesn't stop everyone from telling me I will.

The least popular baby names of 2013

Looking for a baby name that?s nowhere near the top 10 ? or even the top 1000? Try the bottom five.

'I was so sleep deprived I crashed my car'

There are no laws regulating driving while tired, but statistics show that driver fatigue is one of the top three contributors to the road toll.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Do you suffer from Precious Firstborn Syndrome?

Testing ?no more tears? shampoo in your own eyes, warming cucumber sticks so they're not cold straight from the fridge, waking a sleeping baby to check they?re still breathing: these are all symptoms of Precious Firstborn Syndrome.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

Mums hit hardest as flu cases skyrocket

The number of confirmed cases of influenza in Australia has doubled the number for the same time last year - and women are 25 per cent more likely to get it.

The mum who had four babies in nine months

Feeling exhausted due to the demands of caring for a baby? Imagine the life of this mum, who gave birth to three boys and one girl in just nine months.

Everything baby at Big W

Lowest prices on everything baby, only at Big W. Sale starts August 4 and ends August 20 2014.

Going viral

Outrage over baby's icy challenge

A man has been reported to child protective services after taking the ALS ice bucket challenge with his 10-month-old granddaughter.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.