Jump to content
Tell me about your 7 week old
3 replies to this topic
Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:18 PM
DD is almost 8 weeks old, and an absolute joy. Sleeps brilliantly, eats fine, the whole nine yards. Thing is I'm at a loss as to what I can do with her during the day. Her awake periods are getting slightly longer and there's only so many trips to the shop or walks around the block I can take.
She doesn't really like to be put down when she's awake. She likes to be moving around or if she's in the bouncer then it has to be rocked/bouncing or she fusses until she's picked back up. I honestly don't mind it so much, I know so many other mums have much more high demand babies. But I wonder if I'm setting her up for bad habits by holding her/carrying her around the whole time she's awake. Will she expect it as she gets older?
So, tell me what do you do to amuse yourself and your baby?
Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:16 AM
My dd is 8 weeks, her awake time is made up of tummy time, swinging in her swing, sometimes a story, I find she has a little whinge when I first put her down but once distracted she will play quite happily.. My DD all but refuses to nap during the day you are lucky!
Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:32 AM
I would prop DS up on my knees and we'd do lots of smiling, and gentle touches to his face/hands. We would do similar with him on his tummy on the floor. Baby massage was also good, as was looking at the trees moving in the breeze.
Don't worry about bad habits at this age. She will change so much and so often!
Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:43 AM
Get a sling, wrap or carrier and wear her, and go about your day. She gets what she needs which is being close to you and you have 2 hands free!
The best of mothers focus on their babies 30% of the time - I was at a mental health information session last month and they were talking about the other 70% being so important to mental health. Play groups, ABA, council mothers groups, coffee with friends, any kind of adventure can fill your time.
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users
"It dawned on me that I could do some catch-up work while he fed, but I needed something to help me hold a bottle and my smartphone."
A new mum angered by people suggesting women who deliver their babies via caesarean section have not "given birth" has challenged that misconception by sharing a photograph of her scar.
Actress Olivia Wilde and her fiance Jason Sudeikis are parents again.
A newborn baby is without the tip of one finger after a nurse accidentally cut it off with scissors.
It's a long overdue move for kids and parents alike.
If you've ever shared a bed with a dyed-in-the-wool doona stealer you'll know how frustrating it can be.
Special rituals, as well as favourite cutlery and plates, can make dinner times less challenging and a lot more fun!
Most mums of toddlers have a funny horror story about the time they turned their back for 30 seconds only to find mayhem on their return.
Surgeons at a New York City hospital have separated a pair of 13-month-old boys who were congenitally joined at the head, completing a rare operation that carried a risk of death and severe brain damage, their mother said.
Babies can sometimes get themselves into unusual positions while sleeping, but this youngster has the makings of an acrobat.
In the park near our house my partner and I have a bench. We paid to have it put there last year after our twin boys Fred and John died.
Vaginal or caesarean, bottle- or breastfed: it all influences our gut microbes and future health.
Getting well and falling in love with my son has brought a feeling words simply can't describe. But I didn't expect it to be a little heartbreaking, too.
Haven't we all needed more hands when travelling with babies and toddlers?
Rather than hiding her postpartum hair regrowth, author Giovana Fletcher has photographed and shared it.
With his bald head, light goatee and bulging arms covered in dark tattoos, Officer Kenneth Knox is an imposing figure.
A mother of six from the US claims that Facebook disabled her account because she posted a photograph of herself tandem breastfeeding a stranger's baby along with her own.
Top 5 Articles
We asked real women what surprised them during their pregnancy. They've shared their experiences in the hope of preparing the rest of us better for the ride
It's how many new mums spend much of their time, so it makes sense that a breastfeeding emoji is being considered for inclusion in the next round of updates.
Here are a few things for you and your partner to discuss as you start trying for a bub of your own.
Take a trip down memory lane with these vinage and retro toys that you may have had in your childhood or your parent's childhood.