Question about the combined pill

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Green Gummy Bear

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:09 AM

I really feel like I should know this and feel slightly stupid that I don't.  But anyway...

Assuming all active tablets have been taken correctly for the month, once you've completed the sugar tablets, do you then need to use condoms or other protection for 7 days once resuming the active tablets again, or is that only when you first start taking it?

#2 againagain

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:18 AM

Only when you first start taking it.

#3 Zahhy

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:20 AM

I was actually wondering this the other day!

I don't get how it works? I thought those sugar pills had nothing in them, hence why you get the bleed, so wouldn't taking them be the same as not taking your pill at all?

#4 Bluenomi

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:23 AM

QUOTE (Tonberry @ 11/02/2013, 11:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was actually wondering this the other day!

I don't get how it works? I thought those sugar pills had nothing in them, hence why you get the bleed, so wouldn't taking them be the same as not taking your pill at all?

Because 7 days isn't enough time for your body to ovulate and starting the pill again stops it.

#5 !momo!

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:29 AM

Yep taking the sugar polls is the same as not taking them. Apparently in European countries they just don't take the pill for seven days. But here they don't trust us to keep track of the days hense the sugar pill. The idea is so you don't get out of the habit of taking the pill. Pretty sure the condom thing is only when you start taking it and also if you have gastro/ take antibiotics.

#6 HIH.GD.Isolabella

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:02 AM

I never bothered to take the sugar pills. I would with start on active pills on next pack or take a break for the number of sugar pills days.

#7 Beanbag Warrior

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:10 AM

The sugar pills are only there for the cultural sensitivies of those who think they "need" to have a period each month.

It's actually unecessary, so just skip them.

#8 Green Gummy Bear

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:54 PM

QUOTE (Soprano-Cat @ 11/02/2013, 11:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I usually do, but it's been about 4 months since my last one, and I'm starting to get cramping and pains making my think my body's ready/needing to have one?

#9 Bluenomi

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:00 PM

QUOTE (Soprano-Cat @ 11/02/2013, 12:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The sugar pills are only there for the cultural sensitivies of those who think they "need" to have a period each month.

That doesn't always work. If I skip them I spend the next month spotting which is far more annoying that having a period. It's easier to skip them if you have light periods but most people with heaveri flows find they will bleed no matter what.

#10 Beanbag Warrior

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:08 PM

QUOTE (Bluenomi @ 11/02/2013, 03:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That doesn't always work. If I skip them I spend the next month spotting which is far more annoying that having a period. It's easier to skip them if you have light periods but most people with heaveri flows find they will bleed no matter what.

That must suck.  I haven't had more than a half-dozen periods in the last 10 years.  And that was always from being forgetful.

#11 blackcat20

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:26 PM

QUOTE (Bluenomi @ 11/02/2013, 04:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Me too! I only get 5 weeks before I start to spot so I have to go off the active pills.

#12 Green Gummy Bear

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:54 PM

QUOTE (Soprano-Cat @ 11/02/2013, 03:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That must suck.  I haven't had more than a half-dozen periods in the last 10 years.  And that was always from being forgetful.

OK, this is REALLY going to show my ignorance here, but only having one period every few years, doesn't all the 'stuff' build up and become really feral?

Also, I remember hearing somewhere (no idea where) that you really shouldn't go any more than three or four months without having one.  Is that not the case?

#13 Beanbag Warrior

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:01 PM

the pills makes the uterus hostile to implantation, so there is no buildup.

ETA: As to the second question, i don't believe thees' much research done, but there is a pill being developed that is meant to be taken continuously. I just choose to do it with my own.

It's just a daily dose of hormones that I have in my system anyway which stop me from getting pregnant.  I don't personally believe it will do me any harm.

Edited by Soprano-Cat, 11 February 2013 - 04:02 PM.

#14 elizabethany

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:23 PM

The body is actually not designed to have as many periods as we do now, the natural order of things is we are either

1) Too young
2) Pregnant
3) Breastfeeding
4) Menopause/Dead

Think how many periods Michelle Dugger has had, and you get the idea.

For those who bleed even when taking a continous dose, it can take a couple of months (up to 6) to settle down.  Yes, even the heavy ones do eventually.  You just have to put up with spotting and breakthough bleeds until then.

The reason there is a break in the pills is it is proof that the pill worked.  The original idea was that it would create stress if you didn't know.  The combined pill was invented years before the home pregnancy test, so it was a peace of mind factor.

#15 Quack Quack

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:30 PM

so how many people here take the pill continuously with no break?

I usually take the whole box continuously, then have a period between packets.... but gee if its safe, I just won't have one at all  wink.gif

#16 Beanbag Warrior

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:36 PM

Like I said, I've had a handful of periods in the last 10 years.  All due to forgetfulness, not planning.

#17 Green Gummy Bear

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:37 PM

QUOTE (5*little*ducks @ 11/02/2013, 04:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I usually take the whole box continuously, then have a period between packets.... but gee if its safe, I just won't have one at all  wink.gif

I do this also.  I guess my only concern would be that I am still (relatively young) so wondering how much it would mess my cycle up or make it hard to conceive later on if I decided to continue reproducing.

#18 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:48 PM

QUOTE (justthegirls @ 11/02/2013, 04:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OK, this is REALLY going to show my ignorance here, but only having one period every few years, doesn't all the 'stuff' build up and become really feral?

Also, I remember hearing somewhere (no idea where) that you really shouldn't go any more than three or four months without having one.  Is that not the case?

I was told by a doctor that it doesn't "build up" as it isn't created in the first place, that's what the pill stops.

I have no idea though as I haven't been on the pill in 7 years.

#19 Beanbag Warrior

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:50 PM

QUOTE (justthegirls @ 11/02/2013, 04:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I do this also.  I guess my only concern would be that I am still (relatively young) so wondering how much it would mess my cycle up or make it hard to conceive later on if I decided to continue reproducing.

Given that once the hormones are out of your system, which only takes 2-3 days, I would say they'd have zero effect whatsoever on your reproduction.  I know a lot of people claim to have had trouble conceiving after being on the pill for a long period of time, but given that you only have a tiny chance of conceiving each cycle anyway, I would say it's coincidental, rather than causal.

#20 PatG

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:55 PM

If you do decide to skip periods altogether it is probably a good idea to do a pregnancy test every few months just in case, not because you are at greater risk of getting pregnant but because you may not notice that you are.

#21 elizabethany

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:04 PM

and I use implanon, which shuts mine off completely for 3 years at a time.  Bliss.

The pill is blamed for causing infertility as it masks real infertility, by regulating periods, reducing bleeding amount, and reducing pain.  There is no incidence of higher rates of infertility, miscarriage or stillbirth of people who have taken the pill.

#22 HIH.GD.Isolabella

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:15 PM

I would go 6m between periods on the Pill. Now on Implanon and in 15m have only had 2 days of spotting x 4 occasions in that time.

I was on the pill relatively continuously (ie only AF breaks once or twice a year) for 10yrs before TTC. Sure my cycles off the pill were all over the place.... But honestly pre pill I had long/irreg cycles anyway. First cycle I discovered OPKs though I fell PG. it was literally a case of egg meet sperm and BDing at the right time (count back of the previous two long cycles showed no DBing when I would have ovulated...like for weeks as DH was away). Happened the same the second time. Third time I had five long cycles TTC, but that is stil within normal limits of conception. I was also pushing towards 35 for that one too.

#23 blackcat20

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:26 PM

QUOTE (elizabethany @ 11/02/2013, 05:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For those who bleed even when taking a continous dose, it can take a couple of months (up to 6) to settle down.  Yes, even the heavy ones do eventually.  You just have to put up with spotting and breakthough bleeds until then.

I've been on it almost 5 years, so that theory doesn't stick...

#24 Green Gummy Bear

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:31 PM

Thanks for all the replies!  Yay - no more sugar pills for me!!!

#25 HGL

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:49 PM

I always use to have a seven day break. If I took the pills straight through, I'd end up with 2 weeks of spotting every month anyway.

A family planning dr I spoke to mentioned that there was no reason why women shouldn't skip period and take them straight through. Women lose significant amounts of iron through monthly blood lose so by missing periods, you keep your iron stores up.

FYI, most pill names are suffixed with 'ED' = every day.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Get your FREE Baby & Toddler Show ticket!

Get your free ticket to the Sydney Essential Baby & Toddler Show for September 25-27 - register online now.

A solo birth, a wasp swarm and a forest fire: mum and baby's amazing story of survival

Desperate, out of petrol and low on food, a new mother lit a fire in the hope of attracting attention.

Boy found on swing died of hypothermia and dehydration, autopsy finds

The story was chilling and heartbreaking: a three-year-old boy was found dead in a Southern Maryland park, his mother pushing him on the swing.

Child's play and laughter help battle fatigue

Feeling fatigued? Uh-huh, thought as much. Join the queue.

Dad shares entertaining 'how to hold a baby' clip

For many new dads, their own child is the first baby they have ever held. So one dad has posted an instructive YouTube video titled "How to Hold a Baby".

The Australian baby with 100,000 Facebook fans

She may be only eight months old, but Egypt has already amassed more than 100,000 fans and received a letter from royalty - Hollywood royalty that is.

Public welcome outside church for Princess Charlotte's christening

Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have invited well-wishers to see Princess Charlotte outside church in Sandringham on day of her baptism.

Tongue tie: what you need to know

Tongue and lip tie can lead to many problems for babies - and their parents. Here are the signs of tongue tie and how it's treated.

My daughter is small but that doesn't matter

My daughter may be small, but it's my job as her parent to refocus back where it belongs - on who she is as a person

Wet wipes linked to rise in allergic reactions

The government has issued a health warning after a rise in allergic skin reactions has been linked to a preservative found in some wet wipes.

Gay couple in their 80s first to wed in Dallas after Supreme Court ruling

Love may have won, but it came with quite the wait.

William Tyrrell's family marks birthday with cake and renewed appeal

The family of missing boy William Tyrrell will mark his fourth birthday on Friday making a cake to share with friends and family as NSW police renewed their public appeal for information on his disappearance.

What all parents should know about safe babywearing

A picture of Ryan Reynolds always gets the girls talking, and a recently shared photo has done exactly that - but this time, it's for all the wrong reasons.

Baby's head shape reveals potentially fatal condition

Thinking her baby just had an unusually shaped head, a mother was shocked to discover it was instead linked to a dangerous condition.

'Help - my toddler hits me!'

My toddler has started hitting when he gets frustrated, is feeling ignored, or just thinks it might be fun.

Why IVF success rates may not be what you think

Transparency, accountability and responsibilityare essential measures to protect IVF vulnerable patients.

On the 10th anniversary of my son's death

This day marks a significant day. Today marks 10 years since I lost my son Kai.

Mother-in-law 'from hell' inspires survival guide

The happily ever after Nicola Milan had imagined wasn't to be – and she blames her mother-in-law.

Name your baby Quinoa, win a $10K gift card

Choosing a name for your little bundle of joy is always a major decision. It can be something traditional, trendy, creative … or inspired by the menu of your favourite chain restaurant.

Owning a pair of nail scissors does not make me a hairdresser

It's been a whole year since sleeping in until 10am. A whole year since having a peaceful shower.

The 83 children who were tragically let down in the last decade

Over a 10-year period, 83 children died from domestic violence abuse in NSW, with three quarters of the victims aged five years or under, the NSW Ombudsman has revealed.

Expert Q&A: Gross motor skill development in toddlers and preschoolers

Dr Katie Heathershaw answers questions about jumping, toe walking, riding a bike and being pigeon toed.

Is it reasonable to expect your partner to give up drinking in pregnancy?

From the moment that I fell pregnant with my son, I realised just how much my life had already started to change.

Stroke victim joins class action against makers of popular contraceptive pill

"I was terrified I would always be this way. The pill needs to come with a much higher warning."

Sexy time

Why you should get excited about scheduling sex

Unfortunately, the belief that sex should always be spontaneous is a myth. It just isn't.

When newborn photoshoots get messy

When it comes to newborn photoshoots, it is all about the timing.

Orphaned baby daughter Ayla wakes from coma

Former All Black Jerry Collins' critically injured orphaned daughter has awoken from her coma and is able to bottle-feed.

Dad takes miraculous catch while feeding baby

One American father has taken multitasking to a new level at a Cubs-Dodgers baseball game at Wrigley Field.

'Samuel is our firstborn, and he will never be forgotten'

Having lost their firstborn at one day old, the Carrolls were overjoyed to welcome their daughter Isobel into the world a year later.

Channel 10's Sarah Harris expecting first child

The Studio host Sarah Harris doesn't mind if her first baby is a boy or girl, but she does hope it is born with one thing in particular.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

27 funny ultrasound pictures

Ultrasounds give you a look at your growing baby ... and sometimes what appears to their womb-buddy, or your bub in an amusing position.

The top 6 misleading parenting terms

From 'morning sickness' to 'the terrible twos', there are many parenting terms that are misleading.

When 'good' nannies go bad

While most nannies take pride in their work, there can be some who have a hidden side.

Woman hospitalised for skinny jeans injury

Beware: skinny jeans might be bad for your health.

Gauze seeding: the bacteria-breeding birth trend

A number of women having caesarean deliveries are now taking steps to give their baby a better 'microbiome' start in life.

Jimmy Fallon writes new children's book for dads

Jimmy Fallon, host of NBC's The Tonight Show, recently wrote a children's book about every father's secret wish for their baby's first word to be "dada" - not "mama".

28 names for babies born in winter

Looking for some baby name inspiration for a bub born during the colder months? Here are 28 options from around the world to consider.

The horrible act that sparked a brawl at child's birthday party

The uncle of the seven-year-old girl at the centre of the brawl at child's birthday party in Sydney's west has described the events leading up to the alarming show of violence.

Babies 'benefit from iPads at a young age': study

More often than not, you'll read that screen time for children should be kept to a minimum - but some scientists are now challenging this way of thinking.

Do mums really just obsessively talk about their children?

Natalie Reilly describes three main types of conversations mothers have. And, surprise, they're not all about kids.

Why some dogs might attack babies or young kids

A baby's smell, the noises it makes and even its gaze can contribute to the potential for a dog attack.

Mum demands refund for 'beargina' christening cake

It was meant to be a tasteful cake to help celebrate a three-year-old's christening.

5 things no one warns you about after giving birth

How many times have you been warned about all the sleepless nights you have to 'look forward to' when you become a parent?

Police officer sang nursery rhyme as heartbreaking photo was taken

A police officer arrived at a devastating scene on Thursday: a car crash resulting in all passengers being thrown from the vehicle.

Don't worry, working mums: Just leave Dad in charge at home

Want to open the boardroom doors for women? Encourage - heck, praise - dads who stay home with their children.

Hilaria Baldwin shares post-baby selfie

Just two days after giving birth, actor Alec Balwin's wife posted a post-baby picture on social media.

'Help - my child won't ever do what I ask!'

Compliance is part of the parent-child relationship, but so is resistance. It's all natural.

Postnatal depression support gets $23 million boost in NSW

The Baird government will include $22.8 million in Tuesday's NSW budget to expand a program designed to help parents at risk of postnatal depression (PND).

'I'm just as tired, scared and stressed as you': stay-at-home dad's plea

I'm really lucky to have two great kids, but I found it really tough with so much being aimed at the mothers and not the fathers.

FREE TICKET

Get your FREE ticket to the Baby & Toddler Show

Get your free ticket to the Sydney Essential Baby & Toddler Show for September 25-27 - register online now.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.