Does anyone regret having a VBAC

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 LoveMyLife

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:45 PM

Im just wondering if anyone has ever regretted having a VBAC, and why.

#2 Romeo Void

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:59 PM

Kind of.  I've had incontinence problems since my VBAC, it's been a real eye opener.  After my c-sect I had absolutely no changes down below, now even when I do pee it's...different.  It's tricky to explain but before I could empty my bladder in a few seconds, little trickle afterwards and I was done.  Now I sit and it sort of just dribbles out at it's own pace, no bearing down and getting it out quicker.  It's no biggie but in the middle of the night when you want to just do a quick pee then go straight back to bed, by the time you've sat...and sat...and sat you're awake.  Poo's are different too.  DS was a forceps delivery so that may have played a part too.

I guess it's to be expected that things change.  At the time it was something I was very keen to have as I had a very clingy 20 month old and I was worried about coping with a new baby and a c-sect as well.  Not REALLY sure I'd choose it again.

#3 ms flib

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:08 PM

I thought it was fantastic having a VBAC. So fantastic that I had to give it another go.

Just a comment on the PP - your pelvic floor is weakened by pregnancy too. It's not just the birth. And after each consecutive pregnancy it is weakened a bit more.

A quick google - http://www.childbirthconnection.org/articl...=10206#elective

All the best

#4 tel2

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:14 PM

My best friends sister kind of regrets hers.  She had it with no pain relief and had a vacuum extraction,episomy and all others kind of intervention. She told me she suffered like a animal, it was horrible and if she was to have a 3rd, it will be a c section. If she knew in advance what she had to go through to have her little girl she would've defintely gone c section. I'm still so proud of her for doing it and am kind of jelous (I never had a vbac even though I should've with my second...anyway...).

#5 B.3

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:32 PM

QUOTE (Romeo Void @ 10/02/2013, 03:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Kind of.  I've had incontinence problems since my VBAC, it's been a real eye opener.  After my c-sect I had absolutely no changes down below, now even when I do pee it's...different.  It's tricky to explain but before I could empty my bladder in a few seconds, little trickle afterwards and I was done.  Now I sit and it sort of just dribbles out at it's own pace, no bearing down and getting it out quicker.  It's no biggie but in the middle of the night when you want to just do a quick pee then go straight back to bed, by the time you've sat...and sat...and sat you're awake.

I had this after my first which was a vaginal delivery. I suffered incontinence for 12 months and the pee trickled as well. There was no damage down below after baby #2 and #3 which were both C/S. I had no incontinence and was peeing normally. It wasn't the pregnancy that did it, it was the birth and pushing hard for a long time because he got stuck.

Sorry OP, I haven't had a VBAC but wanted to reply to the PP.

#6 SensibleSis

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:17 PM

I haven't had a vbac but just wanted to recommend that anyone who is even slightly concerned about their pelvic floor find a women's health physio.

They can assess, advise and work out a personalised program to improve pelvic floor function.

Don't just put up with it!

#7 Romeo Void

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:25 PM

QUOTE (ms flib @ 10/02/2013, 04:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I thought it was fantastic having a VBAC. So fantastic that I had to give it another go.

Just a comment on the PP - your pelvic floor is weakened by pregnancy too. It's not just the birth. And after each consecutive pregnancy it is weakened a bit more.

A quick google - http://www.childbirthconnection.org/articl...=10206#elective

All the best

Perhaps, I have read that before.  But there was no change during my first pregnancy, not even a tiny bit. But a huge one after my second. I'm not 100% buying the 'it's the PG not the delivery' argument.  

#8 Romeo Void

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:28 PM

I've just seen this that says there does appear to be some connection.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/04/12/...E83B1C420120412

#9 MrsWidget

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:38 PM

I loved my VBAC, loved it. And would do it again in a flash. Mine was drug free and I had an episiotomy and a forceps delivery.

My pelvic floor and everything else downstairs works fine and my recovery was awesome.

#10 Great Dame

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:44 PM

How old is your baby RV?  I had similar with my 2nd baby but it's been getting heaps better.  I think it did take a year, with improvements along the way.  Go see someone though if you don't get an improvement.  Mine got heaps better when I was strict with the pelvic floor exercises.  I do believe it was the pregnancy for me - there was so much pressure towards the end, a sneeze would have me pee my pants.

#11 Great Dame

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:51 PM

QUOTE (Bek+3 @ 10/02/2013, 05:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I had this after my first which was a vaginal delivery. I suffered incontinence for 12 months and the pee trickled as well. There was no damage down below after baby #2 and #3 which were both C/S. I had no incontinence and was peeing normally. It wasn't the pregnancy that did it, it was the birth and pushing hard for a long time because he got stuck.

I noticed at least one of your children came quite early?  I think that makes a bit of difference - if you don't have that pressure on your bladder and pelvic floor during the last few weeks.  I would just look at a glass of water and pee my pants by 38 odd weeks.

#12 Loz07

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:16 PM

Not to derail the thread OP, but it seems as though your biggest (?only) regret with the VBAC relates to the continence issues you are experiencing, so...

Regarding the discussion about whether it is the pregnancy or birth which causes incontinence, when I was at uni (nine years ago.... so yes, there could be more recent research) I remember learning that it was 1 in 3 women who had ever had a child who would experience continence issues, and that figure was equal among VB and c-sect which is what leads to the conclusion that it is the pregnancy itself rather than birth which creates the issue (think about it - 4kg or so sitting on the muscles day in day out slowly stretching them...?). However, birth trauma (prolonged second stage, tearing, episiotomy, vacuum etc) are known additional risk factors.

I would second a PPs point about seeing a women's health physio to assess and assist you. You can find one via the 'Find a Physio' feature on the Australian Physiotherapy Association's website (here). Look for one with post graduate women's health qualifications if possible, and/or a member of the women's health special interest groups. If finances are an issue, then speak to your GP about a referral (there may be an option for *some* medicare rebate, but not much), or seek a referral to a public hospital which provides birthing services as they would have a women's health physio on staff.

Good luck

#13 challice

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:05 PM

Current research seems to suggest otherwise. From the urology times:

Vaginal delivery increases incontinence risk up to 20 years later
Publish date: APR 25, 2012 Print
Compared with women who deliver via cesarean, women who deliver vaginally are 67% more likely to experience urinary incontinence up to 20 years after the birth and are almost three times as likely to be incontinent for more than 10 years, Swedish researchers report.
Vaginal delivery increases both the likelihood of incontinence and the probability that the condition will be of long duration, say the authors, who reported their findings online in BJOG (March 14, 2012).
Obstetrician-gynecologists from Sahlgrenska Academy at Gothenburg University, Gothenburg, Sweden and Södra Älvsborgs Hospital, Borås, Sweden conducted a registry-based national cohort study involving more than 5,000 primigravidas who delivered a single infant between 1985 and 1988 and had no subsequent births. The results revealed that 40.3% of the women who delivered vaginally experienced urinary incontinence versus 28.8% of those who delivered surgically (odds ratio [OR], 1.67; 95% CI, 1.45-1.92). In addition, 10.1% of those who delivered vaginally were incontinent for more than 10 years versus 3.9% of women who delivered surgically (OR, 2.75; 95% CI, 2.02-3.75).
No differences existed with regard to urinary incontinence between women who had an acute cesarean delivery and those who had the procedure electively, indicating that the fetus passing through the pelvic floor in the late stage of delivery increases the risk of urinary incontinence later, the authors wrote.
Also, the risk of urinary incontinence in obese women was more than twice that of normal-weight women after vaginal delivery and more than triple that of normal-weight counterparts after cesarean delivery. In addition, the prevalence of urinary incontinence was 10% higher in women aged ≥35 years at delivery compared with women aged

Also at:

University of Gothenburg (2012, March 25). Incontinence 20 years after child birth three times more common after vaginal delivery. ScienceDaily. Retrieved February 10, 2013, from http://www.sciencedaily.com­ /releases/2012/03/120325102613.htm

#14 07gbam

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:49 PM

While the pregnancy itself does influence pelvic floor changes, it seems women who have had difficult vaginal births, or of larger babies, are over represented in the group of women who go on to have incontinence issues.
There was a similar thread some time ago, and I was shot down for suggesting this, even though when I worked in an incontinence clinic, there was no doubt that the women there had been influenced by their vaginal births.
It seemed the ones who were left to push for longer than an hour faired worse than those who had assistance in the delivery of the baby after an hour of pushing, or those that pushed their babies out in under an hour..
But it still wouldn't make me want to have a section just to prevent the chance of incontinence. I had an assisted delivery after pushing for an hour, and as yet, have no problems.
It's when menopause hits that a lot of women's pelvic floor problems appear, so many of us of childbearing age may not be experiencing the problems related to birth yet.
Something to look forward to.

Agree totally- see a women's health physio.

#15 farfaraway

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:56 PM

My VBAC resulted in a 4.2kg baby and a 4th degree tear. Worth every second, zero regrets here. My "downstairs" was completely back to normal after 6 weeks despite the damage! So, so, so worthwhile for me.

Edited by farfaraway, 22 February 2013 - 07:57 PM.

#16 Lokum

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:02 PM

QUOTE (07gbam @ 22/02/2013, 08:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But it still wouldn't make me want to have a section just to prevent the chance of incontinence.

It would for me. Two c/s here, and not a problem or a care. (Apart from some saggy skin, but that's totally cosmetic and not functional, and could have happened after a VB anyway.)

My 2nd PG I ended with a fundal height of 44cm!!. I was massive. I had a huge and ridiculous amount of fluid. In those last weeks the pressure on my bladder was constantly painful. As soon as they took that baby out through the sunroof, my bladder was back to normal.

If there was ever a 3rd, the risks of prolapse, incontinence and sexual dysfunction would push me to ERCS, (far more than any tiny risk of rupture.) I wouldn't choose it as a primigravida, but I think these risks are really relevant to the VBAC/ERCS plans of women.

#17 treefalls

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:03 PM

Did you only want to hear from women who regret their VBAC, OP?

#18 07gbam

Posted 08 March 2013 - 06:27 PM

A balance perhaps?

#19 GenWhy

Posted 08 March 2013 - 06:39 PM

Never for one second have I regretted my VBAC. I do regret the two c/s I had. I have big babies and gain a truckload of weight. I also worked in a very physical job until the week prior to birth with all 3 of my kids. I don't have any issues aside from ones caused by the caesareans.

#20 ~~Cleopatra~~

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:14 PM

I regret it in that it didn't go well. But I didn't know that was going to happen so I don't regret trying. Its a hard question to answer as it depends on how it goes.... I opted to have a ceaser with my 3rd though based on my experience, even though the OB was happy for me to try again.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Britain's youngest parents: mother 12, father 13

A 12-year-old schoolgirl and her 13-year-old boyfriend are believed to have become Britain?s youngest parents, after the birth of their baby girl earlier this week.

When Prince George met Bilby George

Prince George has met an Aussie marsupial named after him in his first official engagement in Australia.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Pregnant woman dies after doctor removes ovary instead of appendix

When a UK woman went to hospital suffering appendicitis, doctors mistakenly removed her healthy ovary - with tragic consequences.

The milestones I can't wait to celebrate

Nothing can beat the feeling of witnessing that first smile, first step and first word - but here's a list of 'firsts' I'm really looking forward to now.

How you develop in your baby's first year

Just as babies undergo rapid growth as they learn and change in their first year, we?re learning and changing quickly as parents, too. Don?t underestimate the developmental stages you go through when you have a baby.

Can you make your baby smarter even before birth?

A product new to Australia claims to help babies be born "as intelligent as possible", but not all experts agree on the benefits of educating babies while still in the womb.

How a mother's love helped unearth the skills of an autistic savant

Autistic savant Ping Lian Yeak, a prodigious artist who has had his work shown all over the world, couldn't have done it without the support and love of his proud mum.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

A tiny heart: a baby?s death gives life to another

Simon Alexander Garcia lived only one brief hour. But somewhere, a little girl?s heart is beating today because of him.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Why is childbirth still such a pain?

The options given to women to help them cope in labour have barely changed in years.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win the brand new phil&teds vibe

Check out the good looking new release of the Vibe 3 and the Verve 4-wheeler inline strollers. To celebrate their release, we have a Vibe with double kit to give away.

Baby sleep

From birth to one year and beyond, read about baby sleep, soothing techniques, routines, and sleep school experiences.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

7 tips for a kid-free trip, not a guilt trip

Although I?m jumping out of my skin to take my child-free holiday, I?m dreading the goodbye. But I?m determined to make the most of it without tarnishing it with guilt or sadness about leaving the kids.

Itchibubs: clothes for babies and toddlers with eczema

Parents of children who suffer from eczema will know only too well the scratching that occurs around the clock. A new clothing range aims to help make everyone more comfortable.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Caring for kids helps grandmothers stay mentally alert

Looking after grandchildren can help grandmothers ward off brain disease - but it's also possible to get too much of a good thing, researchers say.

Why I loved my third home water birth

After two water births at home, I was determined to give birth to my son the same way. I just hoped this birth would be quicker than my last two.

Revealed: 7 ways food marketers try to trick consumers

If you?re confused by food labels, you?re not alone. Next time you?re shopping for food, look out for these seven common labelling tricks.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.