Out Dated names?
What names do you think are fated to remain out dated?

• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

#1 Lady Lovely Locks

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:02 PM

Just curious, for those who grew up with names that were ether "out-dated" or one off, Have you seen it become popular recently, or is it still deemed one off?
My name (Gloria) seems to be staying out-dated, and I often get comments about great grandmothers aunts etc having the name, but have yet to meet one my age or younger. At the time my daughter was born I thought I may have given my daughter a similarly outdated name (a family name and beautiful!) but it is now seeming to rise in popularity.

#2 PurpleNess

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:08 PM

My mum is Gloria...she's 74 but I love it :-) She also gets Glorious ofcourse.

Can't say I've seen or met any of late....

#3 surprisebaby

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:11 PM

My name, Debra. Seriously who would call a baby this. I dont even like it

#4 fun_fairz

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:12 PM

I know two Gloria's in their 30s. Love the name, they are both beautiful people. Also know a Desiree, Teresa, and a Wendy which probably fit in that category. All in their 30s

#5 kerilyntaryn

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:17 PM

I know of a Glory born last month

The names Ruby, Ivy and Violet were names of elderly ladies in a town I grew up in - they are in there 90's

Hazel, Alice, Olive and Evelyn seem to be coming more popular too

Henry, Harry, George, Archie, Theodore, Edward, Edwin

#6 Chief Pancake Make

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:21 PM

Any names from the early 80s.  Jennifer, Annette, Joanne.

#7 FiveAus

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:25 PM

My aunt is Gloria, she's in her late 60's. I went to school with a Gloria as well, she would be mid-50's.

I thought my name (Gayle) or a variation of it.....Gale, Gail, Gael...might make a comeback after The Hunger Games was such a huge hit, but it seems not.

I think my name is very much of the 1950's and 60's. There aren't many Gayles/Gails/Gales after that but it's surprisingly common as a middle name for young girls, and Abigail is definitely on the rise.

I hated my name when I was a kid, now I don't mind it.

#8 Dresden

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:27 PM

My stepgran is also a Gloria. She's mid-late 70s. It's a beautiful name and it suits her well.
My Godmother (dec) was Gloria Dawn. She would be in her late 50s now if a plane crash hadn't cut her life short back in '88

#9 fancie

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:40 PM

I'm Nancy.

When I was growing up in the '60s most Nancys were in their 30's and 40's and even then it wasn't really common (at least not here in Oz).  I had a love/hate relationship with it through primary and high school, now I quite like it.

Can't see it making a comeback anytime soon, although the chinese couple who live aroung the corner from us did name their daughter Nancy a couple of years ago, because they wanted a  really nice Australian name for her.   wub.gif

#10 CountryFeral

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:40 PM

The hot young early 20s secretary at DPs work is a Raylene!  I nearly fell off my chair!

I don't think we can make the call really... if you were to ask my mother she would without pausing for breath have said 'Ruby'.......... well!  We saw how that one panned out!

For the 70s babies like myself we can't imagine our names (Joanne, Linda, Tracy, Shane, Darren, et.al.) ever coming into vogue again.

But I'm sure when all the little Rubys, Violets, Maxes and Olivers start to bring forth kids of their own the 'granny chic' of these names will start to twinkle again...

#11 PatG

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:41 PM

Everyone seems to think that Gladys won't make a comeback.

Mildred, Bertha and Gertrude are of a similar vintage and I don't think there will be too many of them in the next decade.

#12 kerilyntaryn

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:47 PM

I've heard a few Christine's lately

Gordon
Edith
Ida
Merryl
Beryl
Merle
Lorna
Sheila
Birdie
Goldie
Richard

I don't see Gay/Gai making a comeback

#13 yellowtulips74

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:50 PM

Mavis

Does ANYONE know a young Mavis?

#14 CAWO

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:51 PM

I love the name Gloria  original.gif

#15 Dresden

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:52 PM

QUOTE (kerilyntaryn @ 09/02/2013, 02:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Gordon
Edith
Ida
Merryl
Beryl
Merle
Lorna
Sheila
Birdie
Goldie
Richard

I don't see Gay/Gai making a comeback

My Modern Day Edith

#16 FiveAus

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:53 PM

QUOTE (PatG @ 09/02/2013, 02:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Everyone seems to think that Gladys won't make a comeback.

Mildred, Bertha and Gertrude are of a similar vintage and I don't think there will be too many of them in the next decade.

Audrey, Hazel and Henry did, so there's hope for good old Gladys yet.

#17 daruma

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:58 PM

Jane...you rarely meet a Jane these days that isn't in their 30-40s.

#18 Plaxy

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:00 PM

[quote name='kerilyntaryn' date='09/02/2013, 02:47 PM' post='15314093']

Gordon
Edith
Ida
Merryl
Beryl
Merle
Lorna
Sheila
Birdie
Goldie
Richard

I would have thought Ida was a real possibility for a comeback given the popularity of Ivy, Eva, Ava. Isla and Ada! It's current in Denmark, but pronounced 'EE -da'. As pp said, Edith is current. I think Eda (an early med. name) would work now too.

#19 mummy2amelia

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:05 PM

Both my grandmothers names, Winifred and Edna, I can’t imagine will be in the top 10 list soon.

#20 Bam1

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:17 PM

QUOTE (yellowtulips74 @ 09/02/2013, 02:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mavis

Does ANYONE know a young Mavis?

Yes, from my 3yo daughter's playgroup, she is a delightful little girl and the name just suits her to the ground. Before meeting her I wouldn't have considered Mavis as a name but quite like it now.

I think all the really old names are not out dated at all, the ones that aren't being used now like Ruby, Ivy, Eleanor etc are just waiting for their definite comeback.

The names that I consider outdated are the ones that don't really define an era and are just plain names eg David, Matthew, Adam, Susan, Angela, Sara. Nothing bad about the names but nothing great about them either. Even if a parent doesn't want a unique names, most names nowadays have a bit of "spark" to them and these names just say nothing. But more than likely any child with these names will bring their own spark.

#21 B.feral3

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:22 PM

Mavis really grew on me after seeing Hotel Transylvania.  laugh.gif It's one of the main characters names and she is a child/teenager!!

Names I don't think will be coming back any time soon:

Nigel
Rupert
Mervin
Rufus
Reginald
Gary
Douglas

#22 kerilyntaryn

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:24 PM

I know a teenager named Jane

#23 pinkcupcakes

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:25 PM

ethel. maud. flo. eunice. marg. thelma. louise. fran. wilma. janine.

#24 CountryFeral

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:26 PM

QUOTE (Bam1 @ 09/02/2013, 03:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, from my 3yo daughter's playgroup, she is a delightful little girl and the name just suits her to the ground. Before meeting her I wouldn't have considered Mavis as a name but quite like it now.

HOORAY!!

I have been waiting on this wonderful news for ages!

Go little Mavis!

#25 FourLittleLoves

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:33 PM

This thread is making me want another baby!

Might just save this for ideas just incase . . . . ph34r.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Student shocked by surprise baby

Kate Hudson, 22, was on a dream European holiday with friends. She didn't realise she was about to become a mum.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.