Shepherd's Pie recipes please

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Ice Queen

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:05 AM

As the title says.......hit me with your best and favourite Shepherd's Pie recipe.  It is something that I quite like but I have never found a really good recipe.

Preferably without a bought flavour base type thing.  On Monday night I am cooking dinner for my family as well my BF's family as she has had an operation.  They are fairly organic-only type eaters and I generally try to steer away from these anyway.  Bought stock is fine if beef stock is used.   I have plenty of time on Monday afternoon to cook it so time is not an issue.  It will be for their dinner on Tuesday.

TIA  biggrin.gif

#2 credence

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:14 AM

No need for a flavour base.

What you need:

About 1 kg good quality lamb mince.
an onion
2-3 cloves garlic
1-2 carrots finely chopped
2 stalks celery finely chopped
a bay leaf or two
1 L chicken stock
a tablespoon tomato paste
2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
salt and pepper to season
olive oil

1 kg peeled potatoes, diced
100g butter
a little milk

Fry off the onion, garlic, carrot and celery until softnened. Add the mince and cook until browned and starting to crisp up. Add the chicken stock, bay leaf, tomato paste, worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper and simmer for about an hour - an hour and a half until thick and reduced.

Meanwhile make the potato topping by boiling the potatoes, draining well then mashing with the butter and just enough milk to make a stiff mash.

Pour the meat filling in a baking tray topped with the mash. Dot the top of the mash with a little extra butter and put in a hot oven for half an hour or so to heat through and for the top to brown.

#3 FeralAndIKnowIt

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:15 AM

I use one very similar to this one, you can add extra bits and pieces to it if you want.

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/24664/shepherds+pie

#4 claptrap

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:18 AM

Recipe schmecipe.

You need left over roast lamb.  I've been known to roast a leg of lamb just so as I can have shepherd's pie.  This is a rather trad version so definitely NOT beef (which does not a shepherd's pie make) and no tomato paste or garlic.  

Chop into rough chunks then blitz in a food processor until cooked lamb is coarsely minced.
Fry off an onion in butter until softened and golden, then add your lamb and cook until brown.  Add salt, pepper, parsley or a little thyme, and a generous splosh of Worcestershire sauce.  Sprinkle with flour and cook, stirring, one good minute.  Then add chicken stock and/or a little red wine and cook until well thickened.

Place in a pie or lasagne dish and cover with a good coating of well seasoned creamy mashed potato.  Rough up the top of the mash with a fork, dot with butter, and brown in a hot oven 20 mins.

mmmmmm

#5 ~kuddlebug~

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:22 AM

I make this one:

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/2335/classic+shepherds+pie

Instead of the potato topping, I do a sweet potato and pumpkin mash (a medium sweet potato and just a small amount of pumpkin) mashed with lots of butter and a dash of milk. I sprinkle a little salt on top and bake for 10-15 min. I also find it works better making the meat the day before and chilling it in the pie dish, then putting the mash on top when the meat is still cold and warming it all in the oven.

#6 EsmeLennox

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:06 AM

I do much the same credence except I use left over roast lamb, and beef stock (and not nearly as much - probably about a cup) and sometimes hide a few other veggies in the meat. Although I am liking the sound of lamb mince, I think you could make a nice variation with that.

#7 Ice Queen

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:46 AM

Thank you ladies!  Definitely enough for me to pull a decent one together.

Small confession.....I had only used beef mince.  Soooooo going with the lamb.  Roast lamb would be delicious although I need quite a lot as she has 3 boys and they eat masses so roast lamb might be a bit expensive for 2 family meals.  Might do that next time just for us as two meals.

#8 CountryFeral

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:01 AM

Go the roast lamb...

Honestly.

You can pad the thing out with lots of extra veggies - the roast lamb (I just chop mine with a knife) is SO, SO, SO superior in flavour...

I can stretch a small roast lamb here for about 6 meals for two gluttonous adults - starting with 'the roast' and moving along to shepherd's pie/curry/traditional pie/et.al...

#9 Funnington

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:15 PM

Recipe schmecipe.

Haha, I was thinking the same thing - I have never followed a recipe for shepherd's pie, ever.  

Go the roast lamb...

Honestly.

Definitely this ^

Tonight we're having roast lamb and I will always do (depending on leftovers) a shepherd's pie the following night.

I basically finely chop the leftover lamb, fry with an onion, add fresh rosemary (garlic if you wish, this is one dish I don't add garlic too) and make a gravy using beef stock, tomato paste, tinned tomatoes and a good grinding of salt & pepper.

Put in a casserole dish, allow the mixture to cool a little and top with mashed potato.  I put shaved Parmesan on top of the potato, another good grinding of salt & pepper and a knob of butter and bake until the top is brown and crispy.  

I let it rest a bit once cooked so I can cut it into nicer slices (it's too sloppy if you cut it up straight out of the oven).

So, plan ahead.  If your guests are coming Monday night, have a roast lamb Sunday (you'll need a big leg) and use the leftovers for a 'proper' shepherd's pie.

(I believe some traditionalists mince the lamb in an old fashioned mincer).

#10 nome.b

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:35 PM

500g steak mince
1onion ,chopped
1small carrot grated
1\2 c water
peooer
1 beef stock cube
2 tablespoon flour
1 or 2 tomatoes (optional)
4 large potatoes
2-3 tablespoons milk
parsley

1.Place meat,chopped onion and grated carrot in a saucepan.
2.Add water,pepperand beef cube.
3.Cook over a gentle haet until well cooked.
   add more water if needed
4.Sprinkle over flour and mix well
   Allow to thicken
5.Pour into pie dish and cover with sliced tomato.
6.prepare potatoes and cook in boiling water
7.Drain and mash well add butter and milk.
keep mixture fairly dry
8. spread over top of meat and mark with a fork .
9.bake in a moderate oven until golden brown.
10. serve hot garnished with parsley

#11 Lady Lovely Locks

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:11 PM

I  think shepherds pie is with lamb pieces and cottage pie is made with mince.... My partner is a chef and I am a self conscious cooker (silly i know but oh well) I have just started cooking cottage pie and it is a winner for him. I use
beef mince
chicken stock
sliced carrots
peas
1.5  thick cut onions.

then mashed potatoes on top (I add some garlic to the boil, gives more flavor) and a touch of sour cream in the mash, top with cheese and pop in the oven YUM!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

The 'yucky' illness that took over my life

I have a chronic illness nobody likes to discuss, as it involves toilet talk. But it needs to be talked about.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.