advice or recommendations for swimming lessons
for a child scared of going under water

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 queeney

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:36 PM

My son is 3.5 and loves water. Loves going in the water, splashing, playing on the steps etc can even blow bubbles with just his lips in the water but is petrified of putting his face under or going on his back.

I had him in lessons at Altone park in Beechboro the class was only four children but i think he needs something one on one. I don't really know what to do i was a fish at his age so can't relate. I don't want to force him but i want to help him to feel secure enough to do it, so I'm wondering if there are any swimming lessons or programmes that focus directly on this issue?

I an north of the river, but open to all suggestions. Or even advice if your little one was similar?

Thanks in advance ladies.

Edited by queeney, 08 February 2013 - 05:40 PM.

#2 jujujulie

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:36 PM

I used to teach swimming and I would say to wear goggles in the bath and get him to put his goggles on your hand and slowly put hands in water, blow bubbles. Take it slow and lots of praise. Ask what he saw under water etc.

#3 sophiasmum

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:01 AM

No advice, but I wanted to share experience. My DD(4) started swimming lessons last week & they left going underwater until the end of the class. There was 1 girl who started crying & was obviously scared to do it so they didn't push her. She jumped in but kept her head above water.

My DD doesn't like going on her back, she'll do it but you can tell she's not comfortable with it. The teacher said to get her used to it by laying her head on your shoulder & talking in her ear telling her to relax so she floats her body like seaweed.

It's hard to watch them when you know they are not enjoying something, but perhaps when he is a bit older he will be less afraid?

#4 Jupiter

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:21 AM

My daughter was like this and I ended up leaving her to deal with it at her own pace.

She has just mastered it during vacation swimming lessons, aged 5 and a half. original.gif

These lessons at St Mary's Karrinyup look good: http://www.swimstruct.com.au/swimstruct_cl...ns_bookings.htm

I've taken my kids to Newman College Churchlands for vacation swimming for years. There's never been more than two kids per class although the maximum is four.

#5 Aquarium

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:30 AM

What's he like in the bath? Are you able to pour water over his face? This should be your starting point, with a small cup and build up to larger amounts. Once he's comfortable with having a large cup poured down the front of his face, he'll be ready for the pool.

#6 queeney

Posted 09 February 2013 - 04:20 PM

Thanks for the replies Ladies. I tend to agree i think he just needs time to mature and get used to it and understand the concept a bit more.

He doesn't mind water in his head in the shower or bath, but needs a towelimmediatelly to dry it. I just keep reassuring him that water on his face is fine and have started taking a little longer each time to pass him a towel, only a few seconds, but he is dealing with it ok.

#7 queeney

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:27 PM

So, just thought ild pop in and update from tonight swim at my parents. I stopped at the chemist and got him the ear plugs and band and he was so excited and proud to show pop pop his Band that would help him swim.

I started really slowly asking him to do little things (as i have in the past with no willingness at all) and he started by tilting his head to each side putting his ears in. Slowly slowly and he actually swam with his swim vest on and noodle in a 'u' shape under his arms as we had tried and tried to get him to do in his swimming lessons. He only swam about a metre unassisted from me to the steps. He did this twice and i was so proud!! I don't know if his ears were the issue or the ear band just gave him the courage, but i don't care!! Lol.

I'm going to keep encouraging him to feel comfortable while in my parents pool and maybe look at enrolling him in lessons next term.

Thanks again for your advice and suggestions.

#8 libbylu

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:31 PM

The best way to get kids through this phase is to get into the pool with them and play together on a regular basis.  They are way braver when you are right there for them.  Preferably when the pool is quiet and you can relax and have a lovely cuddly time together. With gentle encouragement and mummy right at hand it doesn't take long.

#9 Overtherainbow

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:58 PM

I'll go against majority.  DS was petrified of all water.  Bath, pool, shower, etc.  Even being in a room with water would have him hysterical.

We got to 3 and ended up just pushing him.  We had a horrible time for several months.  Swimming twice per week in lessons and once for a play swim.  We did make him go under once per lesson.  We rewarded him for doing it and praised him majorly.

4 years later and he's a fish.  He talks about when he used to be scared of water and finds it strange that he was scared and now loves it so much.  He's becoming a strong swimmer and can dive, flip and bombie with the best of them.

We found more frequent swimming made a huge difference.  Once per week wasn't enough for him.  I hated it, his teachers hated it.  He has a wonderful relationship with those teachers still and he always finds them to say hello when we go to lessons.

ETA We always used goggles and it's only recently he is comfortable spending some time without them.

Edited by Overtherainbow, 10 February 2013 - 12:05 AM.

#10 Sheep

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:43 AM

Mine hated it too, we just let him take it at his own pace, lots of encouragement, I think he was around 4 or 5 when he started to be comfortable with it all the time. He's 9 now and loves swimming. I think forcing them is a bit dangerous and could really backfire on you, keep it fun!

#11 75etd

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:19 AM

The only thing that got my DS 4.5 and DD 2.5 to put their heads under was having some older kids come over and they were just in admiration of all the fun things it lead to-jumping in, swimming with goggles, etc. In the two weeks since this happened my DD's swimming has advanced more than in swimming lessons over the previous 2 months

#12 mumto3princesses

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:53 AM

With DD#2 it just took time.

I made sure her teacher didn't force her. I disagree with dunking etc. But her teacher was really good. Just encouraged her slowly. It did take her a very long time though as DD#2 was petrified of the water. Her twin sister on the other hand had no fear. First just paddles etc with no screaming, then chin on the water, then can you just put your mouth in the water and blow bubbles, then can you put any more of your face in the water and so on.

DD#2 is now 9yrs old and still does have a little fear. Its not noticeable but her swimming teacher can see it and told me she can still tell she is a nervous swimmer. She swims laps of the 25m pool though and if you didn't know her you probably wouldn't know she is nervous.

#13 liveworkplay

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:20 AM

I don't know if his ears were the issue or the ear band just gave him the courage, but i don't care!! Lol.

My 3.5 yr old hates water in her ears as well. We have maior issues with baths and no way she would ever have a shower. She has been doing lessons for a couple of weeks now and was very very proud of herself last week as she plucked up the courage to duck under the hoop to collect some toys. I just let her initiate it and helped her through.

I am actually not a big one for formal swim lessons for toddlers, the only reason DD3 is going so early is because she has watched her sisters for so long and she kept asking. We always took the kids to the pool and beach at a young age but DD1 didnt start lessons until 5 and she was swimming freestyle a couple of months later. DD2 started at 4 and has taken a lot longer to get at that level but is still ahead of her age group.

I think if you wait until they WANT to learn it is much more successful much more quickly.

#14 queeney

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:23 PM

Thanks ladies.
liveworkplay i tend to agree. My son and niece did lessons together last year, he was just turned three and she was four and a half. It was both Thier first lessons. The difference between the confidence, understanding and maturity was huge. I think I'll keep doing my own gentle encouragement and look at enrolling him after he's four.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

How a baby can survive alone for days on end

The baby found abandoned in a Sydney drain may have been alone for up to six days without being fed, leaving many asking how he could have survived.

When it begins to look a lot like Christmas

A child's excitement at Christmas time is a beautiful thing, but one dad ponders whether his toddler daughter is getting into the festive mood a bit too soon.

Hospital lets dads the experience some of the pain of childbirth

A new experience is radically altering men's views of childbirth.

Italian doctors questioned over formula bribes

Italian police have placed 12 doctors under house arrest on suspicion of promoting baby milk formula over breastfeeding.

Heartwarming prank gives single mum the house she was hired to clean

Cara Simmons arrived at work to clean a large and beautiful house in time for a party planned for that evening. It was soon hers.

Those special moments of sibling bonding

Every now and then your child does or says something that is truly memorable.

Why we should stop telling new parents to 'enjoy every moment'

A few weeks ago, some dear friends of mine had their first baby. As the proud dad texted me a picture I had to fight the natural instinct to say “Enjoy every moment!”

Baby monitor footage posted online

Footage of Australian babies and children sleeping in their bedrooms are among the images on a Russian site showing live feeds from thousands of homes and businesses around the world.

Did this new dad really hit on his wife's midwife?

Was there really a man who was actually there by his wife’s side as she laboured and gave birth to his child, all while he was making what he perceived to be meaningful eye contact with a midwife?

Keep calm and ignore the Tantrum Trolls

Tantrum Trolls are a small but growing species of predatory bottom-feeders who delight in picking on parents at their most vulnerable.

It's okay to never 'get over' the death of a loved one

The death of children, siblings, and parents has long term impacts on the rest of our lives.

What Mark Latham needs to know about depression and motherhood

In a bizarre bid for relevancy, Former Opposition leader Mark Latham has deduced that because one female journalist had this week light-heartedly thanked antidepressants and caffeine for getting her through a medical degree while raising two small children, that ergo, all 'inner-city feminists' are selfish harridans who despise their offspring.

'We're just trying to keep our child alive': life with FPIES

We have a beautiful seven-month-old son, and his allergy rules our life.

Transgender dad breastfeeds his babies

A transgender man who breastfed his first baby - despite having his breasts removed as part of his transformation from female to male - has now had a second child.

Couple face $1 million medical bill and bankruptcy after babymoon birth

A Canadian couple were slammed with a million dollar medical bill after their daughter was prematurely during their babymoon.

Win one of 5 Little Tikes Cozy Coupe Sport

Australia?s No 1 selling car is now available in a Sports model and we have 5 to give away to some lucky Essential Baby families.

Cigarettes, junk food dominate supermarket sales growth

One in every five dollars spent at supermarkets goes on cigarettes or junk food, according to industry data.

Teacher under fire for breastfeeding in class

There is no doubt mums have a right to continue breastfeeding after they have returned to work, but one teacher in the US has taken it to the extreme.

Video: Baby sniffs beardless dad to make sure it's him

She looks him up and down and then touches his chin, but baby Lindsey still isn't sure this clean-shaven man is her dad.

The tragedy of losing a favourite teddy bear

We were green and uninitiated, perhaps a little naïve when it came to the favourite toy responsibility.

It's possible to workout while pregnant

Medical experts say intense fitness routines can be done safely during pregnancy - if the mums-to-be follow some guidelines.

Baby for Asher Keddie and Vincent Fantauzzo

Fans followed every step of her on-screen pregnancy in Offspring, now Asher Keddie is going to be a mum in real life too.

What parents really want for their kids

Are our hopes, dreams and expectations for our children what they really need?

'I had a feeling something was seriously wrong': the fight for Kaden's diagnosis

Before even giving birth, Katie Myers' maternal instincts warned her something was wrong with her baby.

Win a family pass to Disney Live!

We have 4 family passes to give away to see Disney Live! presents Three Classic Fairy Tales, touring Australia this December/January.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win one of 5 Little Tikes Cozy Coupe Sport

Australia?s No 1 selling car is now available in a Sports model and we have 5 to give away to some lucky Essential Baby families.

Join PADDINGTON on the red carpet!

To celebrate the release of PADDINGTON, we are giving five lucky winners the chance to win a family pass to the exclusive Australian Premiere in Sydney on December 7!

When your pregnancy causes a relationship rift

Some dads-to-be don't miss a beat when their partner is pregnant; others struggle with a range of issues and can become withdrawn, right when their support is needed most.

Couple uses group photo trick to announce pregnancy to loved ones

Katharine and Kris Camilli devised a clever trick to immortalise their family and friends' reactions to their exciting pregnancy news.

Why Tracey Spicer has given up make-up

"After 30 years on television, I had become what I despised: a painted doll who spent an hour a day and close to $200 a week putting on a mask."

Knowing you are one of the lucky ones

I am secure, confident and strong, but the responsibility of protecting my children can almost bring me undone.

Why I am so emotional now I have kids?

There are so many ways in which parenthood changes us as women, but one of the most noticeable, for me, has been the changing state of my emotions.

Baby survives despite sharing womb with 'foreign body'

Baby Maia was conceived against the odds, only to find she was sharing a womb with an ominous "foreign body".

Video: Baby shows dog how to jump - or vice versa

They say dog is man's best friend, but this playful pooch seems to have chosen a jumping baby as her number one buddy.

10 ways to soothe a crying baby

New paernts can get frustrated when their newborn gets fussy and can't settle down. When you're feeling overwhelmed, try some of these simple tips to help soothe your baby.

20 baby names that are becoming more popular every year

The data-lovers at nameberry.com have been at it again – this time, they’ve discovered the names that are continually rising up the ranks, ready to take out some top spots in the next few years.

10 great meals to make for new parents

Ideally, you want to give food that isn’t expensive to make, isn't too difficult to create, and freezes well; stews, bakes, soups and pasta sauces are perfect.

'It's not you, it's me': Boston bombing survivor mum to have leg amputated

Rebekah DiMartino is going through a break-up. She even wrote a farewell love letter. But it's not to her husband.

What it's like to go through early menopause

In a cruel twist, Carla had been breastfeeding and perimenopausal at the same time. But she's far from the only one to go through menopause early.

Weird pregnancy products

Some pregnancy products come to market and are just awesome. Others just leave you scratching your head.

Restaurant served alcohol to two-year-old

Busy restaurants can be forgiven for getting food and drink orders mixed up from time to time, but not when the confusion leads to a two-year-old being served an alcoholic cocktail instead of the child-friendly beverage they ordered.

Julia Morris tells of miscarriage on a flight

Julia Morris has spoken about the devastation of suffering a miscarriage while on an international flight.

Woman's survival after birth 'a story of two miracles'

A US mother is home and tending to her new baby less than a month after surviving without a pulse for 45 minutes.

Best maternity swimwear and beach cover-ups

Thinking about a tropical babymoon but have nothing to wear? Here are some great swimwear and beach cover-up options for mums-to-be.

Model's bath photo 'inappropriate'

It was a seemingly innocent photo of a family in the bath - but Facebook wasn't happy.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.