Ultrasound criteria

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 bluecupcakes

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:05 PM

I'm just over 12 weeks pregnant and I went to the doctor yesterday to get a referral to book into hospital.  While I was there she gave me a blood test form and also an ultrasound one.  I questioned the ultrasound one as I have never had an ultrasound this early before, she said yes I had to have it but was unclear why.
I called today to book in and the lady asked why I was having it and I just said because my doctor has told me to.  She said unless I meet a certain criteria I will have to pay full cost as Medicare don't cover ultrasounds if you just want to look at your baby.  I asked what he criteria was and she said it was very extensive but you were only eligible if you were at high risk of problems or have had previous pregnancy losses among other things.
So I'm thinking I won't be eligible meaning it will cost around $200 for nothing really.  This was a unplanned pregnancy so not budgeted for, with my other children's starting school and kinder expenses just been paid I can't really afford extra expenses at the moment.
So my question is does anyone know what the criteria is and what you need to do to meet it?  I have looked at the Medicare site but to no answers there!

#2 Beltie

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:11 PM

I think this is current:

For a patient to be eligible for a Medicare rebate they must fit one of the following criteria and the applicable condition must be present and stated on the request form.

The patient is 12-16 weeks of gestation and referred by a medical practitioner, and
One or more of the following conditions are present...
Hyperemesis
Risk of foetal abnormality
Previous post dates delivery
Abdominal wall scarring
Inflammatory bowel disease
Advanced maternal age
Toxaemia of pregnancy
Significant maternal obesity
Previous caesarean section
Suspicion of ectopic pregnancy
Diminished symptoms of pregnancy
Previous pelvis or spinal trauma or disease
Pregnancy after assisted reproduction
Suspected or known uterine disease
Suspected or known cervical incompetence
Diabetes mellitus
Hypertension
Autoimmune disease
Alloimmunisation
Maternal infection
Bowel stoma
Drug dependency
Thrombophilla
Abdominal pain or mass
Liver or renal disease
Poor obstetric history
Risk of miscarriage
High risk pregnancy
Uncertain dates
Cardiac disease

#3 bluecupcakes

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:29 PM

Thanks, I actually do fit several of those criteria but don't know what the doctor has put on the form as I can't understand it!

#4 Let_it_Rain

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:51 PM

I am pretty sure most places charge a gap for the 12 week scan, so try and confirm what the out of pocket will be.

I think from memory the rebate is something like $60-80 and there is sometimes costs for the blood test as well.

#5 Walkers

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:00 PM

I had the scan last week - cost $200 & got $59 back

#6 Tesseract

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:07 PM

The 12 week scan is usually for Down Syndrome screening, isn't it? The doctor should have explained things better.

#7 Justaduck

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:08 PM

Wow didn't realise so many things covered it. I've had a c-sec with DD so would fit those, but she was high risk for DS (but chromosomally normal) so hopefully that is enough to cover it.

I paid $199 and got nothing back

#8 TotesFeral

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:16 PM

Is the doctor getting you to do the Downs Syndrome screening ultrasound or just a standard one?
With DD I had one at 7 weeks, 12 weeks and then 19 weeks.
With DS I had one at 7 weeks, declined the 12 week one as didn't want it done and then 19 weeks. But for everyone I know it is standard for the doctor to refer them to have the 12 week scan done

It cost me $120 with DD and I got about half of that back off medicare.

#9 bluecupcakes

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:35 PM

Well under the clinical details part of the form it has,

G4 P3
2MP 12 nov 2012
POG  12 week (there is a symbol between POG and 12 but I can't do it on here)

Anyone have any idea what that means...

I'm happy to pay a Medicare gap of course just not happy to pay $200 for something if its really not necessary.  I don't think I will get into see a doctor before my appointment so really don't know what to do!

#10 purple_daisy

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:52 PM

I think that means

Gestation #4, Pregnancy #3 (I think that means one previous loss?)
I think it might have meant to say LMP as in your last period was on 12 Nov 2012.

Not sure about the POG. Mine said something like P US 12 week meaning pelvic ultrasound 12 weeks.

My GP said the 12 week is now almost considered routine because they check lots of things like your risks for down sydrome and the other trisonomy conditions and can just check the baby is forming properly, location of placenta etc. We were charged about 200 but got 65 back from medicare. I fit several of those points above but unless your doc specifies it on the form I think most ultrasound places go ahead and charge the full rate.

We wouldn't have done anything even if we came back with high chances of down syndrome or the other conditions but we did it because we would at least want plenty of time to prepare ourselves if that had happened, and it was very comforting seeing that the heart, umbilical cord, placenta etc were all performing well and the baby was measuring correctly.

#11 epl0822

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:03 PM

My GP referred me for so many ultrasound scans, I thought I was supposed to get one if I sneezed. I wasn't aware there were specific criteria.

#12 elizabethany

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:08 PM

My GP just wrot 12 week OB scan, and medicare covered it.  I fit about 6 of those criterea, but none of them were on the refferal.

#13 bluecupcakes

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:12 PM

Your right Purple_Daisy I have been googling and that is what G4P3 means however now I'm even more confused because it is my 4th pregnancy but I have never had a loss so not sure what she is on about there.

From what I can find I think the POG means a dating scan I don't know why she is sending me for that as I know exactly when my LMP was as I allways write it on the calendar!  

I think I might go see another doctor this one is really confusing me!

I never knew there was a criteria for ultrasounds until today either, but like I said have never had an early one before.  My 20 week ones were arranged and done at the hospital it is public and didn't cost me a cent.

Edited by bluecupcakes, 08 February 2013 - 03:14 PM.

#14 Fossy

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:26 PM

G4P3 is gravida 4 para 3, meaning this is your 4th pregnancy, resulting in 3 live births, your current pregnancy hasn't been born so isn't counted yet.

#15 Beltie

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:20 PM

The criterion I cut-and-pasted above are for Medicare rebates. They are the conditions for which the government agrees to subsidise an ultrasound around 12 weeks. The individual ultrasound companies can decide how much they charge for the scan so you may end up paying a gap.

This list is not the list of people who SHOULD have the scan. That decision, particularly for the 12ish week scan, is usually made after discussion with your O+G/GP/antenatal team and depends on many individual factors and preferences.

OP, could you leave a message for the referring GP to give you a call to explain why this scan is being requested?

#16 againagain

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:54 PM

The problem is that you have a referral to the wrong place I think. You seem to have a referral to a private place that will charge you a gap unless you have a health-care card or similar. You need a referral to a public clinic. This is what happens near me anyway, I could be wrong!

Around here if you don't want to pay anything you need to book well in advance and have the ultrasounds done at the hospital clinic. If we go to MIA or the likes you need to pay an amount and then get a rebate from Medicare.

#17 Love_Evie

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:04 PM

12 week US are standard arnt they? It's not just to look at the baby it's to check the development of the baby.
I had one done previously at a public hospital and it was free. I have also had them done at private clinics which was approx $220 out of pocket and $85 back from Medicare.
Are you delivering at a public hospital? If so they should refer you to their own radiology department and it shouldn't cost you.
Not sure on your circumstances but this was a major teaching hospital in Melbourne, not sure on rural or other states.
Problem is with public is that you need to book really far in advance and often can't choose your date/time. If you ring them and plead your case they might be able to do something though.

#18 Soontobegran

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:23 PM

QUOTE (bluecupcakes @ 08/02/2013, 04:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Your right Purple_Daisy I have been googling and that is what G4P3 means however now I'm even more confused because it is my 4th pregnancy but I have never had a loss so not sure what she is on about there.

From what I can find I think the POG means a dating scan I don't know why she is sending me for that as I know exactly when my LMP was as I allways write it on the calendar!  

I think I might go see another doctor this one is really confusing me!

I never knew there was a criteria for ultrasounds until today either, but like I said have never had an early one before.  My 20 week ones were arranged and done at the hospital it is public and didn't cost me a cent.

As Fossey has said G4 P3 is correct for 4 pregnacies and 3 live babies so far.
POG is 'proof of gestation' and is useful sometimes for those who do not ovulate regularly on or about the 14th day  and the 2MP would be doctor's scibble for LNMP:)

You do not have to have this U/S some people choose no to, it is the morph scan at around 20 weeks that is definitely recommended these days.
I do know that all my daughters have been out of pocket around $200 for the NT scan at 12 weeks.

#19 bluecupcakes

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:56 PM

Thanks for all the replies.  In my past 3 pregnancys I have been offered an early ultrasound I have just chose to not have them.  This gp just seemed to be really pushing it.  She was not my normal gp so I think I will just have my bloods done then try to get in to see my usual doctor.

I will be going to Box Hill hospital, with my others I had my 20 week ultrasounds there.  I only went to the doctor to get a referral to the hospital but she wouldn't give it to me she said I have to get the other stuff done first.

#20 Wildence

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:47 PM

OP, how old are you? some GPs recommend to do 12 week scan if you are over 35 due to higher DS risk.

I believe 12 week scans are important. as for the POG, that's probably just to confirm the due date.

#21 bluecupcakes

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:56 PM

Im 34. I have regular 28 day cycles and even know the day I would have conceived so not much need for a dating scan.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, out now on DVD, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s pre-school or day care!

Toddler freed after getting trapped in escalator

A shopping centre escalator needed to be pulled apart to free a toddler's trapped hand.

Why I'm kind of excited about my daughter's nits

Is it weird to say that I am secretly thrilled to find that my daughter Edie has nits?

Baby born at 10:11 on 12-13-14

Well, it's actually 13-12-14 to us over here. But still, Clare Elizabeth Keane's consecutive numerical birth time is pretty special.

On holding tightly and loving fiercely

We can't live in fear. This post is about Christmas and how at this time we should be celebrating life and grateful for what we have: our loved ones who we cherish fiercely.

Babies, relatives and coping with Christmas day

Everyone will love your baby but your baby may not be so happy to be passed around a lot of new people - nor may you want to feed with an audience.

Why I won't be posting pictures of my baby on Facebook

There are pros and cons to this policy.

The myths and truths of gender swaying

Here are a few popular methods hopeful parents-to-be use to try to get a baby of their preferred gender – and what an expert says about whether they really work.

10 easy DIY Christmas decoration ideas

It's officially time to get into the Christmas spirit. Why not branch out when you put up your tree this year and add a personal touch with a few DIY decorations? We've found the perfect easy-to-make ways to put more festive fever into your home.

The dangerous new trend of glucose challenge test refusal

A dangerous trend is seeing more mothers-to-be declining a relatively simple and painless test to check for gestational diabetes.

Office of Fair Trading reveals naughty toys ahead of Christmas

The Office of Fair Trading has pulled seven toys from shelves ahead of Christmas after they fail safety tests.

Video: Baby boy's trouble with twins

These twin girls will no doubt have fun fooling people in years to come, but nobody will be as confused as baby Landon.

Long-term reversible male contraceptive on its way

Men could soon have access to an injectable long-term contraceptive which works in a similar way to a vasectomy but promises to be easily reversed.

'I tried to kill my baby': one mum's story

After bathing and dressing her three-month-old son, Amanda had a rare moment alone with her baby.

Attack of the 'mummy brain'

I feel that almost every day, someone in my life - be they a friend, family member or complete stranger - feels the need to excuse my behaviour as I have other things on my mind.

Mum of baby who fell ill after drinking raw milk speaks out

A Melbourne mother has described how her son turned grey when he became seriously ill after drinking raw milk.

Australian divorce rate lowest since 1976

Modern newlyweds are now well into their 30s and marriage still offers something powerful a new book argues.

The aftermath of a traumatic birth experience

In Australia, 30 per cent of women find their birth experience traumatic, with 6 per cent going on to develop post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

Young mum burns 'from inside-out'

A young mum is in intensive care after she took a friend's antibiotic and wound up with an ailment that is burning her body 'from the inside-out'.

The disagreement that can break a relationship

If he doesn't change his mind, all I can hope is that I will. It would be a waste to spend the rest of my marriage mourning a baby that never was.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Co-sleeping or no-sleeping? Mum videos worst nap ever

One mother's futile attempt to sleep in caught on camera in a hilarious - and very cute - video.

Why children misbehave during the festive season

While we all like to imagine the holiday season as being a fun, loving and bonding experience; often our reality is quiet different.

I was fat-shamed by my doctor

The fear of being weighed is the most significant factor in women cancelling medical appointments - and now weight-shaming has happened to me.

End of an era: no more childcare

As we reach the end of 2014, we're closing the book on many things for another year, most notably childcare. Our last child has attended childcare for the very last time.

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, out now on DVD, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s pre-school or day care!

The 7-year itch is more like the 10-year itch: study

Contrary to popular belief, making it past the seven-year mark doesn't mean your marriage will be smooth sailing from there on.

Should children be forced to sit on Santa's lap?

We teach kids it’s okay to say no if they don’t feel safe, so why do some parents force their children to climb in to Santa's lap?

Stop telling us that parenting gets harder

I’m sure that parenting will get harder. But life isn’t exactly smooth sailing for many of us right now, either.

Baby born weighing almost 14 pounds

Yes, the bouncing baby girl was born by caesarean section. And mum says no more kids.

The dummy debate

I'm the first to admit that when I used to see tiny babies with dummies in their mouths, I thought "Hmm, lazy parenting." And now I apologise.

'I thought I was an only child'

Imagine meeting your double at a school sports event, or regularly being mistaken for someone you haven't met. Separated twins Margaret and Joy tell their story.

Carers admit to force-feeding children

As Sydney grieves the loss of Sydney siege victims Katrina Dawson and Tori Johnson, reports have suggested that both died as heroes.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.