Which pram would you suggest
is there a good allrounder?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Lukaboo

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:25 PM

Hi,

I am looking for some advice or suggestions on a pram for our #4 bub.

My older three will be 5yrs and older when bub is born so no double needed. I really want a pram that allows bub to rear face and having had two of my threee with reflux I found they needed some incline and to not been completely flat ie bassinette.

I usually jog daily and when i get back into it I plan on getting a second hand MB urban for that purpose only.

So the main pram will be used at shops/ days out and I would ideally like something that I could use to walk to and from school maybe twice a week, which is a 2km round trip on footpaths.

We have a kia grand carnival which has decent bootspace but with gear from three kids already ideally the more compact the better.

So what pram would you suggest? Is it possible to get a pram with all of the above that is not too wide/clunky for indoors but would still handle the walk to and from school?

Thankyou in advance for any suggestions/ideas, I am really going round in cicrles researching online!

blush.gif

#2 Kels82

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:34 PM

Hi, I cannot tell enough people how great our pram is.  We got an emmaljunga nitro city for bubs #2 after having a three wheeler for #1.

I absolutely love this pram not only does it look super comfy for bubs (we had the bassinet for NB) it is large enough that he won’t look squashed as a toddler.

It is probably a one of the more expensive prams but I love it and wish we had it for number one.

http://www.emmaljunga.com/english/Customer..._City-1407.html

Happy hunting

#3 Futureself

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:35 PM

If I could have, I would have bought the Baby Jogger city versa. It was delayed being released so I went with the City select instead but lament it's length. The Versa can have a bassinet or a capsule attached as well as the seat, has larger wheels so good for walks but not wide or long so good for shopping etc. Rear and forward facing and one piece fold. VERSA

#4 Musk Sticks

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:51 PM

I have a valco spark.
My baby is 3 months old, so I don't have that much experience with it.
I bought it because I didn't want to spend more than $500 on my first pram and because it satisfied most of my criteria.
The reason I'm suggesting it is because the seat transforms into a bassinet.
I have a reflux baby and currently have my pram set up with the bottom half in bassinet mode and the top half clipped up in chair mode. My baby sleeps very well in this.

#5 ELH05

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:16 AM

QUOTE (futureself @ 08/02/2013, 10:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If I could have, I would have bought the Baby Jogger city versa. It was delayed being released so I went with the City select instead but lament it's length. The Versa can have a bassinet or a capsule attached as well as the seat, has larger wheels so good for walks but not wide or long so good for shopping etc. Rear and forward facing and one piece fold. VERSA

Sorry to gloat .... But mine is on its way from the USA !!  I love BJ prams, I have had the City Select, the City Mini and now the Versa ....!

Edited by ELH05, 09 February 2013 - 10:28 PM.

#6 feral_drakk

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:32 AM

QUOTE (ELH05 @ 09/02/2013, 10:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sorry to gloat .... But mine is on its way from the USA !!  I love BJ prams, I have hard the City Select, the City Mini and now the Versa ....!

I have the City Mini and I love it apart from the fact that my baby faces away from me. Can you please link where you ordered your versa from?

#7 ELH05

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:38 PM

QUOTE (Drakk @ 09/02/2013, 08:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have the City Mini and I love it apart from the fact that my baby faces away from me. Can you please link where you ordered your versa from?

I ordered it off eBay actually - $530usd it cost me shipped to Perth with tracking, but have just noticed there are cheaper ones on eBay now - oh well sad.gif

This is who I bought it from
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-BABY-JOGGER-20...=item3379f774fb

These are cheaper by the looks
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Baby-Jogger-2013-C...=item460c7320d1

#8 Lukaboo

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:10 AM

Thanks so much for the replies so far.

I think the emmaljunga may be a little bulky for getting in and out of the car a few times a day?

The versa looks great, I had been looking at this one online, is it fairly new though as I couldnt find many actual reviews for it online?

I was also looking at a bugaboo cameleon or bee but unsure how these would cope with the walk to school? If anyone has one how do they go for bigger walks on footpaths?

Thanks again and any other ideas would be great!

#9 lbj

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:25 PM

QUOTE (Lukaboo @ 10/02/2013, 07:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was also looking at a bugaboo cameleon or bee but unsure how these would cope with the walk to school? If anyone has one how do they go for bigger walks on footpaths?

Thanks again and any other ideas would be great!

I have both, and both would be fine, though it would depend on your footpaths. I'd probably err on the bee though. We took ours to europe and walked everywhere with it, and every second pram in london seemed to be a bee. It also doesn't have a bassinette, whereas the cameleon you really do need to use the bassinet for the the first couple of months. I also find that our cameleon tends to need counter steering when the footpath slopes sideways, probably because the manoeuvreability is so good, it steers itself. This is not such a problem for me, because my oldest is still on the skateboard and so does the counter balance for me.

The other cool thing about the bee, since you have older kids, is that they can push it. The handle at it's lowest height is very low, and I've seen kids pushing them.

#10 Lukaboo

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:50 AM

thanks lbj for the review of the bugaboos. I was inititally leaning towards the bee over the cammy because of the easier fold and it looked like it would grow with the child better.

I was worried about the smaller wheels though and the fact that the seat looks quite exposed iykwim? My kids always used to slouch to the side in the pram which in a bucket seat isn't a problem but there doesn't look like there is a lot of side padding in the bee? Have you found this at all?

Thanks again for all of the help!

#11 lbj

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:35 PM

QUOTE (Lukaboo @ 11/02/2013, 06:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
thanks lbj for the review of the bugaboos. I was inititally leaning towards the bee over the cammy because of the easier fold and it looked like it would grow with the child better.

I was worried about the smaller wheels though and the fact that the seat looks quite exposed iykwim? My kids always used to slouch to the side in the pram which in a bucket seat isn't a problem but there doesn't look like there is a lot of side padding in the bee? Have you found this at all?

Thanks again for all of the help!

Hmm, not sure I'll be a heap of help, because we have the old (original) bee that had bigger 'wings' on the sides. For a newbie I'd be inclined to get the cocoon if I had a newer bee. The kids I've seen sitting in it have all looked fine... It would still be my pick, and the new bee has a lot of features that are better than the original (although I prefer the original hood and the side wings)

#12 Maniacal_laugh

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:15 PM

QUOTE (ELH05 @ 09/02/2013, 08:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sorry to gloat .... But mine [versa pram] is on its way from the USA !!  I love BJ prams, I have had the City Select, the City Mini and now the Versa ....!

Another gloater here wink.gif just ordered mine from the US too. I used babyontherun + a shipping company. Didn't think of ebay, oh well. I think mine cost 550 USD for the pram and shipping (but also got rain cover and capsule adaptor so the shipping might have been cheaper if I'd just got the pram).

Have a look at the Youtube vids for the versa OP, it looks pretty cool.

#13 kidmum

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:11 PM

When my boys no longer needed the Phil & Teds double I wanted a very light stroller that was really easy to push, turn with one hand, would lie flat for a nap, take up to 20kgs, easy to fold.

I did lots of research and then went to Baby Kingdom and saw the Valco Baby Snap stroller by chance! I'd never heard of it and ended up buying one for about $230 on sale.

It is one of the best purchases I have ever made. I highly recommend it.

The only con would be if you have a small car boot as it doesn't fold down like an umbrella stroller but otherwise it is fantastic. Even lighter than the Maclaren stroller I also have (great if your tummy is still sore), plus I can unfold it with one hand.

#14 ELH05

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:11 PM

QUOTE (tiggywinkle @ 12/02/2013, 01:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Another gloater here wink.gif just ordered mine from the US too. I used babyontherun + a shipping company. Didn't think of ebay, oh well. I think mine cost 550 USD for the pram and shipping (but also got rain cover and capsule adaptor so the shipping might have been cheaper if I'd just got the pram).

Have a look at the Youtube vids for the versa OP, it looks pretty cool.

Yah - how exciting - what color did you get ?  I got Silver which I didn't realize is not a color they will sell in Oz original.gif. It's here, just waiting for the weekend for DH go put together.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

The 'yucky' illness that took over my life

I have a chronic illness nobody likes to discuss, as it involves toilet talk. But it needs to be talked about.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.