How to Parent an attached child

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Feral_Is_Me

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:16 PM

sorry if the title is confusing, wasn't sure how to phrase it.

DD is 3. She hates being on her own. She will now play a little bit on her own as long as we are in the same room as her. Its not us she is attached to in particular, it could be anybody. She just hates to be on her own. She also wants us (or others) to do everything with her or she wants to do exactly what we are doing.

It is becoming a source of frustration for us. Particularly as we are trying to do up the house and garden and things like painting walls or spraying weed killer and she wants to do it (and when we explain she can't we get the 30 min tantrum). I work full time, DH works part-time and she goes to ELC when DH works (which she loves). She also hates going to sleep (my theory is that she thinks she will either miss out on something or that it is because she is on her own, which she hates) and this at the moment is translating into a 1-2hr tantrum every bed time. Now it is worse apparently with us than it is with my parents (who have had her, without us for a week or so recently).

My big question - how is the best way for us to parent her without all sides becoming frustrated?
I guess the biggest issue is that we both feel that we have no time to ourselves (as individuals or as a couple) unless someone else has DD. Everything feels like a battle and whilst that is probably part and parcel of having a 3 year old, I suspect we make it worse in our parenting style.

#2 amandamac

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:34 PM

Hello, has she always been like this or has this behaviour escalated recently? You mentioned that you recently had left her with your parents for a week while you and you DH were away.

If her behaviour is relatively recent or perhaps if it has just escalated, perhaps she is feeling insecure after being left behind, even if she is comfortable with her grandparents? Or even if she has always needed to be close and attached to you, perhaps being left set her back a little?

I'm not judging at all. I have a DD, now 4, who has been extremely attached. Whereas my husband and I could leave our DS (now 8) with his grandparents when he was small so we could go out, we never could with our DD. Recently we went out together at night for the first time in four years, leaving her with a trusted babysitter who she knows well (her daytime nanny).

I know that it is frustrating, but she may just be signalling to you that right now she needs you close. Secure attachment is critical for later psychological development, so perhaps try to reframe it if you can. I'm not sure that anything can be done to change her in the short term. The one thing you might be able to change is the way that you and your DH think about it. Your DD will not always want you close so try to see it as a positive if you can. In terms of painting and spraying etc, can you and your DH take it in turns to do one of those jobs each. Or for the least problematic ones, such as painting, can you set her up near you with paint and some paper? Or even let her have a paint on the sections that you will go over anyway. Spraying weeds obviously isn't a task to share, but maybe one of you can take her out while that happens so you won't feel hopeless not being able to help.

In terms of bedtime, I am still sitting with my daughter and giving her pats on the bottom. It is what she asks for and what she needs for now. Sometimes it is really frustrating when I have other things to do. But I read in a book somewhere that a child who is upset and wound up will not go to sleep. So for now I give her what she needs so we all get some sleep.

Good luck!

#3 Bam1

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:44 PM

My middle DD is an extremely attached child, even though my other children were not like this, I just go with the flow and just accept it as it seems she needs more closeness than the others. I know it doesn't solve the "problem" but it certainly keeps my frustration at bay. I just try to involve her in everything I do and ensure I have a little bit of me time each week.

The attachment lessened as she got older and she will now stay overnight at Grandparents (took 2 years for grandparents to try again after first time at 3yo with her older sister!) and happily goes off to school.

#4 feralisles

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:51 PM

I had one like that OP and remember the frustration of it vividly.
I agree with the PP though, your DD needs you for now so you are best coming to terms with it rather than fighting against it.

I found with mine it was best to let her "help" if possible.  For example if you are painting, give her a brush and some water and let her paint the fence or pavement beside you, or some real paint as suggested if you are going over it later anyway.  For weed spraying, she could have some water in a spray bottle and spray away to her hearts content.  You can keep her away from the poison by saying "now you help me by doing this side of the garden, and I'll do over here..."

If you are doing something where you really don't want her involved, set her up with an activity then leave her to it for a while, promising to come back soon.  "OK, I'm just going to load the dishwasher then I'll be back to see what you've made and help you with the next bit..."  She will get the idea soon enough, and bit by bit you can extend the time you leave her to it.

We did a similar thing with the sleeping.  "You need to lie here quietly, then I will come and check on you.  I won't come back in until you are quiet..."  Again you gradually lengthen the time between checking until they go to sleep.  I found that once mine knew I would be back she found it easier to settle.

It seems like forever OP, but believe me it does pass!

#5 Feral_Is_Me

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:52 PM

Thanks for the replies.

I think that you are all right in that she is signalling she needs us. She has always been this way  (in terms of needing to be with people). She has spent time with my  parents by herself several times (she loves going to them) but with us getting ready to move,  suspect that might be a cause.

We are talking about altering our routine to suit her more, and I have asked friends to come and help do stuff whilst DH takes her out. I guess we need to accept that this is howitzer is and plan extra time to do things as she will be involved and slow us down. Now, just have to get her listen rather than be a 3 year old in the listening stakes!

It helps to get an outside opinion and to reaffirm that we generally doing the right thing but need to regain our patience back.

#6 FeralCrazyMum

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:55 PM

One thing I've always found, with XP's children and now DS, if they're on their own, they can't help but attach to you, but once you give them a playmate, you hardly hear from them. She might be a bit young yet, but could you start organising playdates?

#7 bettymm

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:12 PM

Just wanted to say that my DD1 was very attached as well.  I peaked around 15 months- close to 3! , then it has started to wane and she has just started pre school this year..aged 4 and she is so confident! Went off happily without us ..no tears!  

It is so frustrating when they wont just entertain themselves for  while..i found it extremely draining!  Couldnt even go to the toilet without my constant companion.  

My DD will now entertain herself for short bursts.  Especially now she seems to have got this sudden ability/interest with drawing and colouring she will do this on her own for ages!  and imaginative play with her dinosaurs and toys all started around 3.5 +

Around 3 we also bought a sand pit and I noticed she would also happily sit there and play for a while on her own too without looking around for me.  As long as i was in the back yard too but i could at least hang the clothes out or do some gardening (and have a break from "play")  So, it hink what you mentioned about her starting to play on her own while you are in the room is a really good sign! just build on this..find out what really takes her interest, set it all up and let her go.  Perhaps crafts?  Around that age i would cut out a few shapes and glue out and start pasting and glittering?

As for bed time..we have taken the path of least resistance.  One of us sits in there with her till she drops off.  We figure she will eventually stop needing this and it doesnt bother us too much so we just do it.  Easier than the fighting and in and out of the bedroom for hours.  

Good luck , it will improved before you know it.

#8 gabbigirl

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:57 AM

My eldest is/was like this.  After much frustration we have come to accept this is her personality.  She is now4.5 yo,  am sitting here on my iPad whilst she is outside playing with a friend.  I never thought I would be ale to do this! We did what most pp's did, just went with it and whilst  'needier' than your average kid, she is way way better than she used to be.  

Good luck.

#9 kay11

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:31 PM

I've got one like this. It has been a tiring few years. We get frustrated at times though, but try to do as much as possible with her. She just seems to be needier and to need more going on than others, like her younger brother. We were seeing a psychologist with her for other reasons and one thing he said was that girls did more social play then boys. He also said that she looked to be quite bright and her games are quite complicated at times. Not everyone agrees with this and we've come up against my Dad in the past who believes we should be teaching her to play on her own better. We're trying to teach her a little bit of this, but honestly the kid just seems to need someone to play with. I'm hoping she makes a friend at kindy this year.

#10 Natttmumm

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:07 PM

I know how frustrating it can be. DD 1 was like that from birth until around 4 ish
Once her sister got old enough to play at age 2 and DD1 was 4 it helped us a bit. She gave me a bit of space.
How is your DD in social settings and at. Daycare?
In the end we just accepted that DD was like that and needed the attachment. We gave as much attention as we could and when we just couldn't we didn't - even if she cried. We just. Did the best we could. By age 4 she was a bit better and it was bearable. We never allowed it at night though as I needed my sleep. We would say we will check on you in a few minutes. Every 10 mins I would go past her door. This seemed to be enough for her.
Happy to say she is 5 now and has started school and is doing brilliantly separating and being independent at home. She goes to sleep well without us.
Was also going to add that I believe it's personality and not what you do. DD2 is 3 and really couldn't care if I'm  near by. She plays happily alone unless she is tired and cranky. We have the same parenting style with both.

Edited by Natttmumm, 10 February 2013 - 05:09 PM.

#11 Feral_Is_Me

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:34 AM

DD loves interacting with anyone. So she is great at daycare as there are people there. She is great meeting new people. She is definitely not shy. It's just at home she needs people and thus it's DH and I and we are trying to do stuff that a 3 year old cant help with.

However, this week, we have decided to put her straight into our bed with one of us going to sleep with her, DH has been great taking her outside to help (hinder) his gardening, driveway prep stuff. And surprisingly she has made a but of a leap to doing some on her own role playing stuff with her toys and empty boxes. However, I need to be in the room (every time, I go out of the room, she stops and comes).

We are trying to be more patient. It's gotten better this week, so thanks for replies as it has helped to re focus.

With the sleeping thing, we were doing the "back in 5 mins" thing but even that caused tantrums this week, and the last few nights she has said very quietly she is very scared. I think it's the moving thing. So I think it's not worth the battle and we will pick that up again when she is a bit more settled. It's amazing how much easier it is to cope by accepting it rather than battling against it.

#12 tenacious2

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:31 AM

Have you noticed that the busier you are, the more needy they become?! My DD is a child who feels the need for LOTS of interaction. As a baby she would be banging on windows and screaming with tears as I brought the shopping in. I was so worried she would hurtnherself breaking a window that I used to put her in a baby carrier backpack to bring the shopping in.

She has always wanted someone to interact with and even now when drawing or playing on the iPad, she'll tell everyone what she is doing and try to get them involved. Now she has a brother to play with, he's become the new object of her attention, as she ropes him into her games/activities. Unlike my DD, he is a lot more independent and is quite happy to play with Lego, play in the sandpit or look at books by himself.

I agree with those who have suggested starting her up with a similar activity to what you are doing and plan for your jobs to take twice as long. If you both work full time and are renovating a house I'm sure she is just craving your attention. Sometimes giving a little undivided attention when she's starting an activity pays off and once she's engrossed in the activity you can continue with your own task.

#13 beabea

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:24 AM

If I can go a bit Myers-Briggs on you, it sounds like she's an extrovert. An introvert can also be clingy, but usually it's more about not wanting to separate from familiar figures. With your DD it sounds like she just thrives on and craves social attention - to an extent which is overwhelming when you're the only ones to supply it (are you two introverts? or is she just off-the-scale?).

If this is the case - extrovert child with introvert parents or just less extraverted parents - the best solution is probably to keep going with the strategy of sharing her around, but adding in a strategy for holing yourself up to recover from all the social contact.

Or it could be a clash between wanting to be organised (due to the move) and a normal 3yo being disorganised. In which case... I don't really have much more of a solution... more babysitting and telling yourself it'll be over soon?

#14 Feral_Is_Me

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:33 PM

Beabea, I think you are right. On M-B she probably is an extrovert, we are definitely introverts, in that we both need alone time to recharge. With all the stuff that is going on, my coping levels are over stretched and I desparately need some alone time and I am just not getting it. It's something that I need to make a priority. dH has gym time which I suspect is his recharge. Something to ponder I think.

#15 Feralishous

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:42 PM

I have 6 hrs a week on my own (4 gym sessions and the travel time) and I really feel like a better parent for having that break.
Ive found it so much easier to 'give myself' to my children, and be there as they need me, with the regular break to be 'me'

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Student shocked by surprise baby

Kate Hudson, 22, was on a dream European holiday with friends. She didn't realise she was about to become a mum.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.