WDYT of the new e cigs? Are they safe?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 jill1972

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:59 AM

I'm not a smoker & my DH used to be a heavy smoker about 15 years ago & stopped  because of how dangerous they are.  My DH brought home yesterday one of those new e cigs & he's like a kid in a candy store.  He thinks they're wonderful & perfectly safe, but not something he would do in front of our kids.  He's one of these people that would smoke if it was safe & he thinks this is it.  

I'm a bit of a skeptic.  Just wondering what the thoughts are on these things safety wise.  I think one of the really bad things about them is the confusing message they could convey, but if it could get people off the 'real' cigs that would have to be a good thing.........if they're safe that  is.

#2 JRA

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:09 PM

I thought they released nicotine

http://www.forbes.com/sites/robertglatter/...ve-for-smokers/

This is worth a read, I don't know if Forbes have credibility on something like this, given their sample size.

But I certainly wouldn't be using them, they are a chemical cocktail including nicotine

Edited by JRA, 08 February 2013 - 12:10 PM.

#3 jill1972

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:12 PM

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to type the brand on here JRA, but these don't contain nicotine.

________

#4 MrsLexiK

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:20 PM

If I was still a smoker I would most probaly use these to try and quit I know for most smokers it is not just the taste but it is the habbit of actually smoking.  I know that quit has one which is a help to quit add smoking thing but it is not as thin as a smoke (or wasn't 7 years ago)

#5 Whatsername

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:22 PM

I know someone who sells these. I would recommend it for anyone trying to quit.
NO tobacco in Ecigs
NO carbon monoxide in Ecigs
NO tar in Ecigs

#6 jill1972

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:28 PM

QUOTE (saram8479 @ 08/02/2013, 12:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know someone who sells these. I would recommend it for anyone trying to quit.
NO tobacco in Ecigs
NO carbon monoxide in Ecigs
NO tar in Ecigs

It's amazing isn't it, my hubby said they're just as satisfying to smoke as the real deal.  This brand doesn't contain the nasty chemicals that were in the ones first introduced in the USA in 2007.  

#7 Iliketoflounce

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:37 PM

All they are is vegetable oil I loved mine

#8 saxa

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:29 PM

Why would he start using one if he quit 15 years ago?

My DH used one to quit smoking.

Think it is an odd thing to just take up again if you havent smoked for so long.

#9 Bluenomi

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:04 PM

They aren't legal in Australia because the TGA doesn't consider them safe enough or a medical device like the distrubitors try to claim they are

#10 MarsBarSlice

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:10 PM

I used to be a smoker and smoked for very long time.  I haven't had a cigarette since April 2006.  It took many years and many attempts to give up.  It's still tempting to have one, for a lot of people like me, the urge never leaves.  I totally understand your husband trying them, I've thought about it myself.

#11 jill1972

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:11 PM

QUOTE (saxa @ 08/02/2013, 03:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why would he start using one if he quit 15 years ago?

My DH used one to quit smoking.

Think it is an odd thing to just take up again if you havent smoked for so long.

My DH would have one at times if he got offered one from a friend etc.  It's an addiction, while he knew it wasn't good for him it never stopped him wanting them.

Bluenomi, they are legal in Australia because they don't contain nicotine.

#12 FeralMalinki

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:46 PM

I had a bit of a rant about them a few months ago (or more specifically, middle-of-the-aisle sales people approaching people about them at my local shopping centre), and EB implied I was an idiot.

#13 saxa

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:49 PM

My DH would have one at times if he got offered one from a friend etc. It's an addiction

Ok so he had not actually quit smoking all together 15 years ago he still has them now and then.

I was thinking it was strange if he had not had 1 smoke in 15 years why take it up again with ecigs.

#14 jill1972

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:54 PM

QUOTE (saxa @ 08/02/2013, 05:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok so he had not actually quit smoking all together 15 years ago he still has them now and then.

I was thinking it was strange if he had not had 1 smoke in 15 years why take it up again with ecigs.

To put things into perspective a bit, my Mum & Dad haven't smoked for around 40 years & they still crave them.  So maybe not so strange.  But perhaps strange for those who don't smoke.

#15 saxa

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:14 PM

But do your parents still crave them enough to go and get an ecig?

I think ecigs are great if you really want to try to quit smoking as I said its how my DH quit, I would worry that taking up again after 15 years using ecigs may then lead to smoking again.

Just my opinion.

#16 kpingitquiet

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:32 PM

(Semi tangent but can someone PM me what brand they/their partner used while quitting? This is exactly what I need.)

#17 LookMumNoHands

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:41 PM

QUOTE (saxa @ 08/02/2013, 07:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think ecigs are great if you really want to try to quit smoking as I said its how my DH quit, I would worry that taking up again after 15 years using ecigs may then lead to smoking again.

Just my opinion.

Maybe the ecigs are perfect for the OP's DH, because he will finally be able to get rid of the thoughts of wanting a smoke he's been having for 15 years?

I think about a smoke every. single. day. It has never got any easier for me.

Some people find it's a piece of cake.... Quit? Sure, no probs. Others have to suffer being a smoker who no longer smokes for the rest of their lives.

#18 jill1972

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:54 PM

QUOTE (saxa @ 08/02/2013, 06:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just my opinion.

Saxa, to be honest, my Mum & Dad don't know these things exist & I wouldn't want to mess with their minds!

_________

#19 jill1972

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:55 PM

QUOTE (kpingitquiet @ 08/02/2013, 06:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
(Semi tangent but can someone PM me what brand they/their partner used while quitting? This is exactly what I need.)

Pm'd you, let me know if it didn't work.

#20 **Xena**

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:00 PM

I really wish they would do proper testing on them and release them properly. At  the moment none are declared safe and as such some can be dodgy. I think it would be worth testing them properly though as I think they could be an excellent tool for quitting as some of the addiction comes from the hand/mouth and social addiction.

#21 JRA

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:09 PM

QUOTE (**Xena** @ 08/02/2013, 07:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I really wish they would do proper testing on them and release them properly. At  the moment none are declared safe and as such some can be dodgy. I think it would be worth testing them properly though as I think they could be an excellent tool for quitting as some of the addiction comes from the hand/mouth and social addiction.

???

Your kidding, that is shocking.

#22 **Xena**

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:13 PM

QUOTE (JRA @ 08/02/2013, 08:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
???

Your kidding, that is shocking.

Unfortunately not. It's sad because it would really be worth their while testing them so that people could buy safe products and the industry could be regulated. They would be a great quitting tool if deemed safe.

This is just off wiki but covers a lot of stuff I have read. I wanted to try them but am nervous to until proper testing is done:
World Health Organization

The World Health Organization stated in September 2008 that no rigorous, peer-reviewed studies have been conducted showing that the electronic cigarette is a safe and effective nicotine replacement therapy. WHO does not discount the possibility that the electronic cigarette could be useful as a smoking cessation aid, but insisted that claims that electronic cigarettes can help smokers quit need to be backed up by clinical studies and toxicity analyses and operate within the proper regulatory framework.[22]
Food and Drug Administration

In May 2009, the US Food and Drug Administration (USFDA) Division of Pharmaceutical Analysis tested 19 varieties of electronic cigarette cartridges produced by two vendors NJoy and Smoking Everywhere.[23] Diethylene glycol, a poisonous and hygroscopic liquid, was detected in one of the cartridges manufactured by Smoking Everywhere .[23] Tobacco-specific nitrosamines (TSNAs), known cancer-causing agents, were detected in all of the cartridges from one brand and two of the cartridges from the other brand. Nicotine can also be traced in some claimed nicotine-free cartridges.[23] Further concerns were raised over inconsistent amounts of nicotine delivered when drawing on the device.[24] In some e-cigarettes, "Tobacco-specific impurities suspected of being harmful to humans—anabasine, myosmine, and β-nicotyrine—were detected in a majority of the samples tested." None of these chemicals, however, was detectable in exhaled vapor. [25][26]

In July 2009, the FDA publicly discouraged the use of electronic cigarettes and raised concerns that electronic cigarettes may be marketed to young people and lack appropriate health warnings.[27]

The Electronic Cigarette Association criticized the FDA testing as too "narrow to reach any valid and reliable conclusions."[23] Exponent, Inc., commissioned by NJOY to review the FDA's study in July 2009, objected to the FDA analysis of electronic cigarettes lacking comparisons to other FDA-approved nicotine replacement therapy products where similar levels of TSNA were detected. Exponent concluded that the FDA's study did not support the claims of potential adverse health effects from the use of electronic cigarettes.[28][29][30]

Furthermore, FDA methods "have been lambasted in journals" by some medical and health research experts who noted that potentially harmful chemicals were measured at "about one million times lower concentrations than are conceivably related to human health."[31]
American Association of Public Health Physicians

#23 LookMumNoHands

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:14 PM

QUOTE (**Xena** @ 08/02/2013, 08:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Surely they can't be any worse than the real thing, though... Everyone knows all the sh*t they put in cigarettes. If they were so bad, you wouldn't see them for sale here, they'd be banned wouldn't they?

ETA - just read that quote, Xena. It's interesting but still won't put me off getting some for DH to try. Nothing there indicates that they're worse than cigarettes themselves.

And I'm sure with proper use, the ecigs would only be a short term thing anyway. Once the nicotine withdrawal was gone, you can then wean off the ecigs and be all healthy like!

Edited by LookMumNoHands, 08 February 2013 - 07:20 PM.

#24 **Xena**

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:19 PM

QUOTE (LookMumNoHands @ 08/02/2013, 08:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Surely they can't be any worse than the real thing, though... Everyone knows all the sh*t they put in cigarettes. If they were so bad, you wouldn't see them for sale here, they'd be banned wouldn't they?

The ones for sale here have no nicotine which is good but they still haven't been properly tested. Where it becomes worse is there is nothing stopping people from buying them off the net from overseas and some of them are dodgy. I'd say you are probably fairly safe buying within Australia but there is no real research to back that up.

The other issue is that kids can buy them online.

Edited by **Xena**, 08 February 2013 - 07:22 PM.

#25 JRA

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:20 PM

QUOTE (LookMumNoHands @ 08/02/2013, 07:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But in the OPs case, her husband is not smoking "the real thing" he has given up.

I am also pretty shocked they can be sold here, and not tested.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly caf goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.