Anyone Not Use Their Double ?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 FeralPerthFembo

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:45 AM

Hi, we will have a 2y3m gap between our two and I’m so torn between getting a double or not. If it was another 4 months on, I’d be confident to wing it but I’m not sure with this awkward gap.

So I’m wondering, did anyone with a similar gap buy a double pram and end up barely ever using it?

Or did anyone think they could manage without one, but then realised they needed one afterall?

#2 tenar

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:53 AM

I have exactly that gap and we are out and about almost every day, walking around our local area.

I didn't buy a double.   We stuck with our old trusty bugaboo cameleon.   I don't like prams that don't allow the newborn to rear-face (especially when you are chatting to the toddler).  Which rules out many of the double arrangements.  I also would guess that a side-by-side arrangement would be fine for twins, but not so easy to push if the kids in it are very different weights.  Not that I've tried it, though.

I did get a kid-sit buggy board for it, which allowed DD1 to sit down while being pushed along.   This has a comfy seat with a strap to hold onto.  She loved it.   With it we could be out all morning but not all day, because she couldn't lie back in it and doze.  I also used a carrier for DD2 (ergo), but not so often because I got too hot and she was a big bub (4.5kg at birth).  

It was fine, actually.  The upshot was that DD1 is now a great walker.  I sold on the kid-sit when she was about 3 and haven't missed it.

#3 tibs

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:55 AM

I have a similar gap between my first and second and second and third.  Before my 2nd was born I bought a strider plus mainly for the travel system aspect but I got the toddler seat and was sooooooo glad I did - my oldest insisted on being in the pram, didn't want to walk etc until well past 3.  This time around I still have the pram but haven't used the toddler seat even once - my middle child won't use a pram and only wants to walk.  All I can put it down to is my first is a boy, second a girl.  In my mothers group 6 of us ended up with that age gap and the 3 of us with boys first ended up with double prams and the 3 with girls first didn't.  Coincidence or inherent gender difference I wonder?

#4 Bunsen the feral

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:56 AM

2yrs 4m between my two and could not have coped without the double - getting around with a newborn and a toddler means lots of stops for feeds, nappies etc so outings take much longer, DS1 would not have coped without a seat! That said he was always happy to go in the pram and I don't drive. I used the double daily for at least a year but also had a Maclaren Quest with a buggy board for shorter trips where the double was too cumbersome.

#5 Chazee

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:03 PM

My DD is turning 4 in April and i'll still use the double pram to walk to playgroup/kindy. It's a 3km round trip so can take quite a while to get there if she's walking!

2y3m is also quite young to not have them strapped in and kept contained when you need to. I wouldn't have a 2 year old 'loose' in shopping centres/malls with another baby to be tending to.

Most 2 year olds are still napping as well, so having that extra seat for naps is very helpful.

I had an 18 month gap between #1 and #2 and used a double. A 2y11m gap between #2 and #3 and used a double. And a 2y4m gap between #3 and #4 and used a double.

#6 TwoHeadedGirl

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:05 PM

We have a smaller age gap, but we have recently just sold our double and we probably could have done without it.

We had a BJCS and it was really only getting used as a single so we decided to downgrade to an umbrella stroller for DS when needed. DD has always been a good walker though and has never wanted to stay strapped up in the pram and she can go for hours. I know that's not always the case though.

#7 BabeBlossom

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:16 PM

We will have a 2yr 4 month gap. DD doesn't nap, especially not in prams and she refuses to use one at all for the most part. Even the ladies at Baby Bunting told me not to bother when I went in to buy a Strider Compact to use as a double.
I am sticking with my BJCM and getting a buggyboard. I'm also getting a good carrier so if DD does insist on using the pram on the odd occasion new baby can go into that.
DD has barely used the pram for the past couple of months, I've focused on road safety, hand holding etc so I can be a bit more confident going out with 2 of them on my own.

#8 KnightsofNi

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:25 PM

I had 2 under 2 and didn't get a double. Never needed one.

#9 Jo-Anna

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:35 PM

I will (hopefully) have that gap between DS and the twins. After long deliberation we have gone for a double instead of a triple. We got the MB duet with buggy board. Since we made the decision we have stopped using the pram for DS ans he has learnt to walk everywhere holding hands. I think it really depends on the temperament of you elder child (ie if they are a runner) and what you are likely to be using the pram for (i.e. trip to the zoo and full days out or just for the shops/around town.)

That being said, you can pick up bargains on ebay that have rarely been used. If you were to get one I would get one where the toddler seat detaches, not a side by side. I have a phil and teds sport I was intending to use until we found out about the twins and think that would be great for you age gap.

Good luck smile1.gif
ETA I plan on having a baby carrier (I have an ergo) under the pram so I can out one of the babies in that if DS desperately wants to hop in the pram.

Edited by Jo-Anna, 08 February 2013 - 12:38 PM.

#10 Lokum

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:36 PM

DS1 was a bolter. Seriously, when I was 8 months PG he was running everywhere, and I had to strap him in because I couldn't chase him down and wrestle him into submission.

He was 2y5m when DS2 was born. We have a Duet which has been used a handful of times. We're mostly using the MB Urban with DS2 in the carrycot and DS1 on the buggyboard. He has stopped bolting!!! He does flit around sometimes in a shop and has to be told to get back on his board, but I am somehow more 'no-nonsense' than I was before and he's more responsible.

Otherwise we are using a stroller and putting DS2 in a sling.

DS2 is about to outgrow the carrycot, so I guess the Duet might get more use. Also, I haven't been doing long walks outside and hope to get back into those where the Duet will be handy.

At this point, I think the Duet was unnecessary, but will use it to get some value before I resell.

#11 kabailz13

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:01 AM

There is 2yrs 4mths between DD2 and our twins.

We had a double when they were born but I made sure she would fit in it. She didn't spend all that much time in it but did like to sit in it when I was feeding a baby original.gif

I think unless you do A LOT of walking, a single would be fine original.gif

There are also heaps of doubles available second hand at good prices so that might be a good option.

#12 ednaboo

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:57 AM

I needed a double with #1 and #2 (2 yr 3 month gap) as number 1 was not a fan of walking and was terribly distractible.  I had a P & T Sports which I hated - it did the job but was awful to push.  I sold it.  I plan on getting a double BJCM second hand for #3 and #4, as #3 will not walk where I want him to go.  They are easy to sell on later so it's not a waste of money imho.

Edited by ednaboo, 09 February 2013 - 07:58 AM.

#13 PreachersWife

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:11 AM

I had 2yrs (and 4 days) between #1 and #2 and used my double for about six months, maybe a little more. It was a side by side stroller. It was necessary for me, DD1 was a runner who is also not a huge fan of walking more than about 10 metres - it's a lovely combination - and. Needed her strapped in while I dealt with the baby etc.

DS was 2.5 when DD2 w born and we haven't used the double at all, he was much more compliant and happy to walk, sit in the trolley etc, and I used the baby carrier more.

As a side note, congratulations Ednaboo! (From a fellow car seat enthusiast)

#14 Soontobegran

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:21 AM

I couldn't have managed without a double. It not only provided somewhere for the older toddler to rest when they were tired but it kept them safe and out of everyone else's hair.

Some children are good and compliant walkers others aren't so I think much depends on that.
We did a lot of walking and there were times when the older child really needed a nap and I was glad I had the option.

There are several prams which give you two seats facing you now if that is your preference. DD had a BJCS and will use the second seat for her 3 year old if she knows they are going to be out for a while and in single mode when she is happy for him to walk. original.gif

Edited by soontobegran, 09 February 2013 - 08:23 AM.

#15 Akeyo

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:26 AM

I think it really depends on the child more than the age gap. I had a 20mth gap between DS1 and DS2 and  fretted over whether to invest in a double. I had a MB single which I loved and would have had to trade it in to afford the double. DS1 was also Mr. Independent and would only happily sit in the pram for about 20 mins max before he'd be screaming to get out and walk. He liked to walk everywhere but fortunately wasn't really a bolter. So in the end, I used a sling for DS2 and put DS1 in the pram if we had to walk a long way and then I could always put DS2 in the pram if need be when DS1 was walking and when DS1 got tired (rare) then I swapped them back.

This won't suit everyone of course but it worked really well for us, especially as DS2 slept better close to me than in the pram. As STBG said, it does depend on whether your older child is a good and compliant walker.

#16 *ShirleyTemple*

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:56 AM

I think it depends on the older child. We have a 2yr2mo gap and I kept my old pram and got a toddler skateboard for it. But DS hasn't been strapped into the pram since he was 12mo. We had a travel stroller until he was about 20mo and he has walked ever since. If your eldest is a good walker and not a runner and you are going to just do part day, shopping trip style activities then you could get away with not needing the double.

#17 No girls here

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:07 AM

I had a 20 month age gap and only used the double pram a few times.  DS1 was very active so had the energy to walk around, but also not a runner, so I could trust him to hold onto the pram when needed and he wouldn't go running onto the road or anything.  

Actually once my kids turned 2 I never used a pram or stroller for everyday stuff, it was only if I did big trips.  DS3 is a bit more of a runner though, so he may be in it for a bit longer until I can trust him.

If you've got a pouch or similar, you can get away with that plus a stroller for a few months.

#18 Bender76

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:42 PM

Hiya

We have a 13mth gap and my wife insisted on getting a double before DS2 came along. We go out a lot but in 6 weeks we've only used it once. If we're going to busy places, and most of them have been, the double is just too big. We didn't buy a very big one but we're much happier with DS1 in a stroller and DS2 in our new Mini Monkey. I find it much easier to get around even if it's me hauling both boys. I'm still hoping to get some use out of the double but it just hasn't been very practical so far.

#19 jules77

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:05 PM

There is 2 years and 18 days between DS1 and DS2 and I have used our double (BJCS) almost daily from day 1.

We do a lot of walking so to get anywhere in decent time, they both need to be pushed!

Ds1 is by no means a runner and will happily walk next to the stroller if he wants to get out, but also enjoys sitting in it as we go about our day- walking, shopping etc.

I could not have done without ours and it was my lifeline and kept me sane. Getting of of the house easily with a toddler and baby happily contained within their stroller seats made the world of difference to me.

#20 TinyTeddys

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:49 PM

I think it depends on your kids!

With my first two I didn't get one...DS1 was either a lazy boy or a runner! I use to strap him into the stroller and have DS2 in the baby Bjorn.

With DS2 & DS3, I tried without but the age gap was too small (20mths) so ended up buying one on eBay. Was in excellent condition and 1/4 of the price! We still use the double occasionally when DS2 is having an off day.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

The 'yucky' illness that took over my life

I have a chronic illness nobody likes to discuss, as it involves toilet talk. But it needs to be talked about.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.