How far (as a parent) would you get involved?
....grrrrrrr......

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 *mumof4*

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:04 AM

With your teenagers employer?

DD (16 1/2) started her 1st part time job 8 months ago at a chain bakery.  A few hiccups at the start (as in told she had the job, but didn't start working there door nearly 5 weeks!).

All has been going well - she averages 3 shifts per week (about 4 hours per shift). She has ALWAYS accepted last minute shift requests & has never called in sick.

Fast forward to Christmas. All the staff text the boss to let them know of their availability over the holiday period. They were all left hanging until the last minute, when the roster was put out about a week before Xmas. Sure enough - DD was rostered for New Years Day (the one day over the 24/12 - 1/1 period that she said she couldn't work, due to us going away). All good - the whole family changes plans to work around this. She also offers to work all the extra shifts the boss would need between the 2/1 - 13/1 (as this was when most of the staff were wanting time off). She requested 3 shifts off in the middle of January (when most staff were back by then).

So - to start. First of all, at the last minute (ie: day before) she was told she was not required for the New Year's Day shift. Which meant the whole family lost 3 days of our holidays (we're supposed to leave Melbourne on 27/12, & DD was going to return to Melb on 2/1 with DH so she could work up until 13/1).

Then, after letting the boss know that she was happy to work as many extra days as he needed to cover the lack of staff between 2/1 - 13/1, not only did he not give her extra shifts, he took her regular weekend ones off her (and got his wife to work the weekends). So basically, DD was in Melbourne, away from us, for nothing!

Finally, she let the boss know that she retuned from holidays a day earlier. He responded with 'still organizing the rosters'. That was on the 27th January, and despite 4 texts (HIS preferred method of communication) from DD - she hasn't heard a word from him!  Her last txt said "Hi XXX - just wanting to know if I still have a job, as I haven't heard anything from you since 27/1. Can you please let me know. Rgds, XXX".

NOTHING!!  This was 3 days ago!

This is soooo frustrating - she is a great worker - has always done everything asked of her. Filled in with an hours notice, never been late or called in sick.

At what stage would you get 'involved' with your teenagers employer & what would you do?  Or would you leave it to your teenager to sort out (as I suppose they have to learn HOW to deal with bosses).

#2 protart roflcoptor

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:09 AM

Quite normal to do rosters only a week in advance. She is casual.

You think she is a great worker but how do you know?

I understand as a Mum you want to help, but what exactly will it achieve?

If they are disorganised and don't communicate, better to spend the energy to help her look for another job.

#3 Bomber girl

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:09 AM

I would encourage her to look for another job

#4 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:10 AM

I wouldn't get involved with that, if the boss isn't going to respond, he's not going to respond. She should try calling him or going in there t speak with him but I don't think this is something a parent needs to get involved in.

I think I would only get involved if there was a serious issue going in with the employer like they were breaching OHS or bullying or something like that.

ETA I'd probably encourage her to look for another job as well.

Edited by Sunnycat, 08 February 2013 - 09:11 AM.

#5 mum to1

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:14 AM

QUOTE (protart roflcoptor @ 08/02/2013, 10:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Quite normal to do rosters only a week in advance. She is casual.

You think she is a great worker but how do you know?

I understand as a Mum you want to help, but what exactly will it achieve?

If they are disorganised and don't communicate, better to spend the energy to help her look for another job.

This, let her deal with as your getting involved would not solve much imo, if she's unhappy there I'd just look for another job.

#6 Red Cabbage

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:15 AM

I'd suggest its time she finds work with someone else. My 17yo has worked with his employer since he was 14 (part time) and we have never had an issue or needed to step in. He has now successfully gained himself an apprenticeship in which we never had to sort out for him either.

#7 bakesgirls

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:15 AM

I'd tell her to look for a different place to work if it was my child. As for her roster/work hours, she is casual. They don't have to call her in to work, just as she doesn't have to accept the shift. They are are within their rights to cancel shifts if they don't require the staff.

It sounds like your DD's work place is rostering to their needs, not your DDs, so I don't see the issue TBH.

#8 Therese

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:19 AM

I also think it's time for her to look for another job.

#9 RCTP

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:21 AM

Boss sounds inconsiderate of others.

If she doesn't like being messed about then maybe suggest to her she looks for another position with fixed hours.

Some people have no idea how to run a small business - it costs much more time and money to hire and train a new member of staff than to retain an existing decent member of staff. His loss.

#10 Feral Grey Mare

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:25 AM

As a parent of working teenagers I understand that you feel your daughter has been given the runaround and I agree that it is rude of the emplyer not to be straight with her regarding her working hours. I do not feel that there is anything gained from you intervening on her behalf (as tempting as that may be). As others have said I would be encouraging her to look for alternative employment. It is disappointing that her first job has turned out have such irregular hours, but it would be useful to her to remain on good terms with her current employer as it may be to her advantage for him to supply a reference for her.

#11 *mumof4*

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:25 AM

QUOTE (Bomber girl @ 08/02/2013, 10:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes - going to do that, but going to give it another week (as she is still giving him the benefit of doubt).

I suppose I assume she's a good worker, due to the feedback she's been given since she started (from both boss & senior worker she regularly works with).

I suppose my vent really is  - how can employers treat kids like that. I've worked really hard to instill a strong work ethic in my kids (ie: don't be late, well groomed at all times, customer is always right etc), & this boss can't even acknowledge 1 txt from DD, let alone 3!

People grumble about 'lazy kids' - but I suppose it can work both ways. A simple txt/phone call to say he's a bit behind wouldn't go astray. But to just leave her hanging, is in my opinion, really unprofessional.

The one thing with this boss is though - if you're 'sacked', he immediately asks for your uniform back - so I don't THINK she's lost her job - he just can't be bothered informing her as to when her next shift is (remember, this is a small business - it's not like they have 20+ employees. Maybe 8 at the most).

#12 FiveAus

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:27 AM

All four of my kids had part time jobs as teenagers, and I never got involved with the employers.

The only time I made my presence known was once when I was concerned my youngest daughter was being treated harshly by a co-worker at a food court outlet. I simply sat in the food court, with a cup of coffee, at a table near her workplace so I could see what was going on.
I did that at random times for a few weeks, and the problem ceased.

As for shift rostering, the employer does what the business needs, not what the employees require.

#13 MintyBiscuit

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:27 AM

I'd also encourage her to look for another job and take this as a learning experience.  Shift wise it sounds fairly standard for a casual job - annoying, but a casual teen is at the bottom of the ladder. The lack of response would annoy me, but has she been proactive and gone in to see him? He might prefer text, but f there is no response I'd be going beyond a text. TBH though if the boss has been that unresponsive to her being polite, I doubt they'd be responsive to mum running in

#14 emm79

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:28 AM

I'd encourage her to look for another job.

However, last I knew, they do have to offer her at least 1 shift a week.  It's a long time since I last worked casually, but last I did, casuals had to be offered at least 3 hours a week.  It may have changed since then.

#15 steppy

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:29 AM

Its just the horror of being in the casual workforce. Employers wonder why their employees would screw them over in an instant and are always looking for other jobs, and employees wonder how much guff they have to put up with before they are shown any kind of consideration or loyalty by their employer.

#16 TwiceThe Woman

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:37 AM

You sound like a great family - motivated & responsible, so you don't want to be "stepping in" on behalf of your wonderful daughter which would be disempowering for her (no matter how much you're tempted to).  It sounds from your synopsis that you daughter has shown herself to be both reliable & responsible as well as self motivated, so you want her to build and grow on those strengths.
Better that you advocate for her by saying "This has been a great experience for you!  Some employers are a good example of how not to run a business.  You have been an honest and flexible employee.  Do you think you deserve to be treated better than this?  Have you looked at what other jobs are available for you?"
Encourage her to google / go to gumtree / get the newspaper out to "have a look" and advise her on updating her resume.
Encourage her with her decision making and have her do her own job seeking.
The opportunity for personal and professional growth here is massive.
Endeavour to make each step empowering for her.
Wishing you all the best!

#17 *mumof4*

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:39 AM

QUOTE (FiveAus @ 08/02/2013, 10:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As for shift rostering, the employer does what the business needs, not what the employees require.

Yes - I understand that she's casual & they will roster to their needs. The thing is, there are only 3 adult workers (that do the day shifts) 3 over 18's (1 of which MUST do close of an evening) & 3 'juniors'. She is not the 'newest' junior. It's a requirement that there's a minimum of 2 people per shift.  And no shift can be more than 4/5 hours.

So the necessity is there - just cant understand a simple txt/phone in response to her question.

#18 Soontobegran

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:39 AM

Sorry but I'd be encouraging her to look elsewhere and hand in her notice. There could be a number of reasons for the lack of shifts but I think the worst thing would be for her to leave causing any drama as this can have a negative impact on her future employment. The employer really doesn't have to give shifts to casual employers and even though it feels wrong he is in his right to do so without question.

Once our children were over 16 we left the negotiating up to them and tried hard to not involve ourselves although we would have stepped in if there was any abuse going on.

I did speak up once when one DD was working a few shifts in a sandwich shop and was ordered by the owner to cut the mould off the schnitzel before putting it into a roll and reuse the same lettuce that had been sitting in the display for the last 4 days huh.gif
I didn't talk to the owner, I rang the local Council who sent an inspector that same day and closed the shop down forever.
People who shop at Knox City should thank me for that wink.gif

#19 RedBob

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:41 AM

What TwiceTheWoman says - your DD is old enough now to negotiate these things herself, and she'll never gain the confidence to do so if you keep stepping in to do it yourself. Be supportive, back her up, but unless it's an issue of fraud, or health and safety, I'd be standing clear and letting her do it herself.

#20 StopTheGoats

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:44 AM

The problem with this 'chain' places is often management are young and inexperienced themselves. I'd suggest she look elsewhere for work and hand in her notice as soon as she has secured other employment (formally, not via text). When she's older, if she deals with incompetent management, she would do the same.

#21 CallMeFeral

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:46 AM

QUOTE (Bomber girl @ 08/02/2013, 10:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This.
You intervening is not going to make him improve his behaviour. It's not school - you have no power over him. He's just a bad boss. Not much you can do about those but move on.

#22 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:49 AM

QUOTE (CallMeProtart @ 08/02/2013, 09:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This.
You intervening is not going to make him improve his behaviour. It's not school - you have no power over him. He's just a bad boss. Not much you can do about those but move on.

agree.

Your daughter is learning some valuable life lessons.  Let her learn them herself and figure out how she wishes to operate in life.

#23 Peppery

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:56 AM

I think you should encourage your child to look for employment elsewhere but I wouldn't contact the boss personally.

#24 CallMeFeral

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:15 AM

QUOTE (*mumof4* @ 08/02/2013, 10:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I suppose my vent really is  - how can employers treat kids like that. I've worked really hard to instill a strong work ethic in my kids (ie: don't be late, well groomed at all times, customer is always right etc), & this boss can't even acknowledge 1 txt from DD, let alone 3!

Well, yes. There's a lot of complaints about Gen Y etc, but I think a lot of this has actually been created by the organisations themselves. It used to be you get a job, they look after you, you stay there for life - then they started retrenching all the lifers for the flavour/budget cut of the month, 20 years down the track employees have seen that loyalty buys them nothing, and act accordingly.
There are still good employers out there, and good employees, it's just a matter of weeding them out. It's probably a good life lesson to teach your DD - you work hard, treat your employer well, and see if they do likewise - if they don't, you've copped a bad 'un, time to move on.

#25 FiveAus

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:32 AM

The best employer any of my children had as teenagers was Coles supermarket. I don't know if it was just the local one, or if they are all good employers of young people.

Both my daughter and my niece worked for them and they were treated fairly, given adequate shifts with adequate notice, offered plenty of extra work in busy holiday periods, and treated with the same respect as adult employees. And when my niece moved interstate for uni, her job was transferred, then each summer it was transferred back to home while she was home.
When my daughter finished high school and decided not to o to uni, they gave her plenty of work until she decided what she wanted to do.

The worst employers (by a country mile) were the small fast food outlets at the local mall.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Teaching our son to say no to violence against women

Today, on White Ribbon Day - and every other day - we're teaching our son to say no to violence against women.

Mothers told to breastfeed in 'spacious' toilet

If there is one thing the owners of Tillings Cafe can be certain of, it is that the eatery won't win the award for Britain's best baby-friendly coffee shop any time soon.

Mother gives name to son dumped down drain

A woman who admitted to dumping her newborn baby down a Sydney drain has reportedly been allowed to give him a name.

Taking small steps to reduce stress

Are you feeling used up by life's stress, family problems and a demanding job you can't turn off? Many people are way beyond work-life exhaustion. They are functioning as robots.

Bad news: we're running out of chocolate

The world's biggest chocolate-maker says we're running out of chocolate.

Born at 23 weeks, 'Chopstick Baby' survives first week

A baby who was born at 23 weeks has survived her first week of life outside the womb.

Manic stations: the nesting instinct in pregnancy

It might sound like temporary insanity, but almost obsessive nesting as you near your due date isn’t uncommon – even if you’re not usually a particularly clean person.

How a baby can survive alone for days on end

The baby found abandoned in a Sydney drain may have been alone for up to six days without being fed, leaving many asking how he could have survived.

When it begins to look a lot like Christmas

A child's excitement at Christmas time is a beautiful thing, but one dad ponders whether his toddler daughter is getting into the festive mood a bit too soon.

Hospital lets dads the experience some of the pain of childbirth

A new experience is radically altering men's views of childbirth.

Italian doctors questioned over formula bribes

Italian police have placed 12 doctors under house arrest on suspicion of promoting baby milk formula over breastfeeding.

Heartwarming prank gives single mum the house she was hired to clean

Cara Simmons arrived at work to clean a large and beautiful house in time for a party planned for that evening. It was soon hers.

Those special moments of sibling bonding

Every now and then your child does or says something that is truly memorable.

Why we should stop telling new parents to 'enjoy every moment'

A few weeks ago, some dear friends of mine had their first baby. As the proud dad texted me a picture I had to fight the natural instinct to say “Enjoy every moment!”

Baby monitor footage posted online

Footage of Australian babies and children sleeping in their bedrooms are among the images on a Russian site showing live feeds from thousands of homes and businesses around the world.

Did this new dad really hit on his wife's midwife?

Was there really a man who was actually there by his wife’s side as she laboured and gave birth to his child, all while he was making what he perceived to be meaningful eye contact with a midwife?

Keep calm and ignore the Tantrum Trolls

Tantrum Trolls are a small but growing species of predatory bottom-feeders who delight in picking on parents at their most vulnerable.

It's okay to never 'get over' the death of a loved one

The death of children, siblings, and parents has long term impacts on the rest of our lives.

What Mark Latham needs to know about depression and motherhood

Love has nothing to do with mental illness. But love may drive a mother to do something about it.

'We're just trying to keep our child alive': life with FPIES

We have a beautiful seven-month-old son, and his allergy rules our life.

Transgender dad breastfeeds his babies

A transgender man who breastfed his first baby - despite having his breasts removed as part of his transformation from female to male - has now had a second child.

Couple face $1 million medical bill and bankruptcy after babymoon birth

A Canadian couple were slammed with a million dollar medical bill after their daughter was prematurely during their babymoon.

Cigarettes, junk food dominate supermarket sales growth

One in every five dollars spent at supermarkets goes on cigarettes or junk food, according to industry data.

Teacher under fire for breastfeeding in class

There is no doubt mums have a right to continue breastfeeding after they have returned to work, but one teacher in the US has taken it to the extreme.

Win a family pass to Disney Live!

We have 4 family passes to give away to see Disney Live! presents Three Classic Fairy Tales, touring Australia this December/January.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Join PADDINGTON on the red carpet!

To celebrate the release of PADDINGTON, we are giving five lucky winners the chance to win a family pass to the exclusive Australian Premiere in Sydney on December 7!

The tragedy of losing a favourite teddy bear

We were green and uninitiated, perhaps a little naïve when it came to the favourite toy responsibility.

Video: Baby sniffs beardless dad to make sure it's him

She looks him up and down and then touches his chin, but baby Lindsey still isn't sure this clean-shaven man is her dad.

It's possible to workout while pregnant

Medical experts say intense fitness routines can be done safely during pregnancy - if the mums-to-be follow some guidelines.

What parents really want for their kids

Are our hopes, dreams and expectations for our children what they really need?

'I had a feeling something was seriously wrong'

Before even giving birth, Katie Myers' maternal instincts warned her something was wrong with her baby.

When your pregnancy causes a relationship rift

Some dads-to-be don't miss a beat when their partner is pregnant; others struggle with a range of issues and can become withdrawn, right when their support is needed most.

Couple uses group photo trick to announce pregnancy to loved ones

Katharine and Kris Camilli devised a clever trick to immortalise their family and friends' reactions to their exciting pregnancy news.

Why Tracey Spicer has given up make-up

"After 30 years on television, I had become what I despised: a painted doll who spent an hour a day and close to $200 a week putting on a mask."

Knowing you are one of the lucky ones

I am secure, confident and strong, but the responsibility of protecting my children can almost bring me undone.

Why I am so emotional now I have kids?

There are so many ways in which parenthood changes us as women, but one of the most noticeable, for me, has been the changing state of my emotions.

Baby survives despite sharing womb with 'foreign body'

Baby Maia was conceived against the odds, only to find she was sharing a womb with an ominous "foreign body".

Video: Baby shows dog how to jump - or vice versa

They say dog is man's best friend, but this playful pooch seems to have chosen a jumping baby as her number one buddy.

10 ways to soothe a crying baby

New paernts can get frustrated when their newborn gets fussy and can't settle down. When you're feeling overwhelmed, try some of these simple tips to help soothe your baby.

20 baby names that are becoming more popular every year

The data-lovers at nameberry.com have been at it again – this time, they’ve discovered the names that are continually rising up the ranks, ready to take out some top spots in the next few years.

10 great meals to make for new parents

Ideally, you want to give food that isn’t expensive to make, isn't too difficult to create, and freezes well; stews, bakes, soups and pasta sauces are perfect.

Weird pregnancy products

Some pregnancy products come to market and are just awesome. Others just leave you scratching your head.

Carers admit to force-feeding children

A mum and daughter will continue working in the industry despite admitting they mistreated kids in their care.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.