Petty naming dilemma.

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:37 AM

DH and I had agreed on a name, that I suggested. I have loved this name since I was a kid.

Anyway now DH has gone off it because he thinks it sounds "too ethnic".

He does like a shortened version of the name, but I don't particularly like it compared to the name in its full glory. So he likes the short version and I like the full version but neither of us really like both names.

For example if the name was Catherine, and he only likes Kate (this isn't the name btw).

Would you name a child with a full name if some people are going to call it by the shortened name and others are going to use the full name? Or would it get too confusing?

Edited by Sunnycat, 08 February 2013 - 08:45 AM.

#2 noi'mnot

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:39 AM

People will give your child a nickname whatever name you choose, I think. I don't think it's too confusing. Go with the name you love! original.gif

#3 bubmakes3

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:02 AM

Our son is Benjamin.
Before he was born we referred to him as 'Ben' and thought this was the name we woudl use on a daily basis.
Now I find myself calling him Benjamin more often but also use Ben and Benny - DH usually calls him Ben or Benny. Family members (aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents etc) on both sides call him Benny-Boy and at daycare the alternate between BenBen (no idea why?) and Benny too.
If you ask him what his name is he most often says Benny or Benny Boy.
I don't think its to confusing and once he gets older I assume he will choose his own preferred 'name' from all of the ones currently used.

#4 Tikiboo16

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:17 AM

Why don't you just give the full version and let the child decide which it likes the best when they are old enough?

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:25 AM

We went with "Maggie" as opposed to Margaret (after DH's mum) as we knew we would never refer to her as Margaret anyway so the longer name seemed pointless.

Thought she may be able to use "Mags" if she gets all grown up and thinks "Maggie" is too kiddy

#6 little lion

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:34 AM

I'd name her Catherine and use that name, Kate could be what DH calls her. Ideally though I'd like to find a name we both really love though.

Anyone else desperate to know the names in question? original.gif

#7 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:39 AM

QUOTE (Tikiboo16 @ 08/02/2013, 09:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why don't you just give the full version and let the child decide which it likes the best when they are old enough?

Well obviously that will happen but in the meantime I'm asking if it will be too confusing if one parent uses the full name (ethnicity and all) and the other parent uses the shortened Anglo name. I'm not sure if it's a good compromise or two people being too stubborn.

#8 Cacti

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:41 AM

It's hard to say without knowing how different they are, but I don't think it will cause an issue. My dad called me Lucy when I was little which isn't my name or close to it, but was just the same he called me.

#9 CallMeFeral

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:42 AM

Kids get called lots of variations of things, I'd do it.

#10 LottieCait

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:43 AM

I have a Caitlin because DH wanted a Katie but I wanted her to have a longer version.  I don't actually particularly like the name Caitlin but DH wouldn't agree Catherine  rolleyes.gif  She gets called Cailtlin, Caitie and most often, Kitty.  She now prefers Kitty.
So I guess my point is; names evolve anyway so you may not even end up calling her anything to do with her name original.gif

If you love the name then just use it.

#11 Gudrun

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:44 AM

Happens all the time. I don't think it's confusing at all.  We all answer to several things.

#12 little lion

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:44 AM

QUOTE (Sunnycat @ 08/02/2013, 09:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well obviously that will happen but in the meantime I'm asking if it will be too confusing if one parent uses the full name (ethnicity and all) and the other parent uses the shortened Anglo name. I'm not sure if it's a good compromise or two people being too stubborn.

Our son is known by his first name (English) to most but my in laws only call him by his Chinese middle name. I hadn't really thought of it as confusing, but now I'm not sure!

#13 ComradeBob

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:45 AM

CallMeProtart is right, kids do get called lots of things. DH and I both have different nicknames for DD and her aunt and granny have different names again.

I can't see any problem with one parent calling one variant and the other a different one.

#14 R2B2

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:46 AM

Yes. We have an Abigail. its a name I have adored since I was 15 - I was not compromising on it at all wink.gif

My husband isn't overly keen on "Abigail" but adores "Abbey" so he calls her Abbey and I mostly call her Abigail. win win!

#15 tres-chic

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:47 AM

Only if I really liked the shortened version.

In the past I liked the name Lucas, but DH liked Luke and unhelpfully said he'd just call him Luke which would have bugged me because it was incorrect. I liked Henry but DH said he'd call him Hank...Charles/Chuck. We avoided Edward as a FN even though I adore it because I don't like Eddie.

DS is Samuel because I like all the NNs. He gets all sorts of variations and it's not confusing.

If you don't like the shortened version I'd find something else you both do like.

#16 MrsLexiK

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:51 AM

I'd go with the name you agreed on, and then DH can always shorten it to his NN even if you call her by her full name her whole life.  I have a much longer name and I love it, really it does sound more professional answering the phone then with the cutsie NN.

We have a name for a girl that I have loved since childhood and will use it if this is a girl, it has the "ie" NN/shortned name (we can't agree on which one to use as their are 2 mind you) as well but we will give the full version as the FN.

#17 ~kuddlebug~

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:53 AM

My son is Tobias but we pretty much only call him Toby or Tobes. I figured he can use Tobias as his 'grown up' name or Toby if he prefers. I don't see a problem with it.

#18 Bluenomi

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:54 AM

Friends of mine had a similar battle. He wanted Caitlin, she didn't. So her real name is Caitlin but her mother calls her Tilly and annoucned her as Caitlin (Tilly) at birth. She copes fine with Dad alling her something completely different to Mum

#19 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:55 AM

Thanks everyone, I don't actually think the name sounds "too ethnic", I think it's a name like Isabella which could come from anywhere nowadays.

Also I am half the ethnicity involved so it wouldn't be totally weird to name her with an "ethnicish" name.

I'll talk to DH about it some more. We really have no other name options.

It's just like bloody naming DS all over again.

#20 Bel Rowley

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:49 PM

I'd use it and don't think it's a problem if Mum and Dad use different names.

#21 lozzylots

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:29 PM

QUOTE (little lion @ 08/02/2013, 10:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anyone else desperate to know the names in question? original.gif

#22 MsFeralPerthFembo

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:07 PM

DD is almost never called by her birth certificate name but she gets called by no less than 6 nicknames daily. Tbh I don't think she learnt her actual name until she was 12 months old  ph34r.gif   but after that no issues. She answers to all of them.

I have two Vietnamese friends where one parent calls the child by their anglo name and the other calls them by their Vietnamese name. Has never caused a prob or confused the child from what I'm told. In fact I think its a very common scenario.

I think the only reason it would be a prob is if it grated on your nerves when DH says the NN and vice versa.  If not, no issue.

#23 kerilyntaryn

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:00 PM

what is the names you like and what name does dh like

#24 Bellefin

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:54 AM

We have this exact scenario (might even be the same name!). It does sound ethnic and I mostly use the full version and DP uses the abbreviation. I don't find it a problem at all although DD2 is only a baby anyway. It's a good situation really, rather than disagreeing completely.

#25 Praetor VitaeChel

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:03 AM

DD is an Annabelle. DH likes "Anna" and I didn't - I compromised with Annabelle (which also happens to be DH's fav aunt and we used my mum's name as her middle name). We call her Lulu and have done so since we found out what gender she was. I actually have to think about it when people ask her name. Pretty much all the family call her Lulu too. It suits her - she is such a happy bubbly little thing.
DS doesn't find it confusing and calls her both Lulu and Annabelle and he is only 3. DS gets lots of different versions of his name too, but when someone asks his name he either says his real name or his daddy's NN for him.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Get your FREE Baby & Toddler Ticket!

Get your free ticket to the Essential Baby & Toddler Show Brisbane (4-6 March). Register online now to save $20!

Newborn baby found in a nativity scene

Police are trying to trace a woman who abandoned a baby boy in the manger of a church nativity scene.

Life would be harder without my kids

The Humans of New York Facebook page is well known for sharing touching, real stories from one of the world's biggest cities – and it's just hit the heart of parents everywhere.

Mum dresses as Wonder Woman for last day of chemo

A Brisbane mum dressed up as a superhero to celebrate the end of her chemotherapy and created a moment her family will remember forever.

How a raisin can predict a toddler's IQ

All you need to assess a child's future intelligence is a plastic cup and a raisin, according to new research.

Former Hi-5 member's cannabis hope

Former Hi-5 star Tim Harding hopes a cannabis-derived drug will help control his daughter's epilepsy, which sees the four-year-old suffering between 50 and 100 seizures a day.

The top 5 reasons your toddler throws a tantrum

Whilst to the outside world little people may appear to have it easy, it's actually not always the case – just ask any toddler who's had their toast cut up the wrong way.

Glenn McGrath thought he'd lost his wife and baby

Australian cricket ledged Glen McGrath has spoken about the moment he thought he might lose his wife, Sara and their baby daughter, Madison.

Inside my Centrelink nightmare

Mother Bec Smith has been trying for months to access Centrelink payments. A "serious error" is preventing her.

Warnings over push for hourly childcare billing

Australia's peak childcare body has called for caution around the Turnbull government's push for childcare centres to charge parents by the hour, not by the day.

Cate Blanchett thought about adopting for years

Cate Blanchett says her recent adoption of a baby girl had nothing to do with wanting a daughter after having three sons.

Kate Walsh: 'I can't have kids'

Grey's Anatomy star Kate Walsh has revealed she is unable to have children because she has experienced early menopause.

The parasite that could boost fertility

The Tsimane women of Bolivia are often revered as among the most fertile in the world - on average having 10 children in their lifetimes -- but some are even more fertile than others.

Family may sue cousin over genetics

A Melbourne couple is suing the Royal Children's Hospital for failing to diagnose a genetic disorder in their first child - an error they allege caused them to have another child with severe disabilities.

Strange things mums have done in labour

While most women in labour focus on the upcoming birth of their baby, some women do more interesting things.

Michael Clarke reveals baby's name

When Michael Clarke said he was wrapped around the finger of his little princess, he wasn't joking.

The logistics of breastfeeding twins

Our life is more or less divided into neat four hour parcels of time and it's hard to get much of anything done in the time between feeds.

How to stop people ruining Christmas

We can make a conscious effort about how we react to those curly Christmas day scenarios that can send us up the wall, or should we say chimney.

Lots of formula offers for desperate mum

The mum who was down to her last three tins of baby formula said she had received hundreds of calls and offers to send her formula.

Surviving breast cancer while pregnant

It was last thing Rebecca O'Donnell expected at 30 weeks' pregnant. One morning, while putting on her bra, she felt a pea-sized lump in her right breast.

Cot sheet brands for the nursery

With so many awesome cot sheet options these days, we thought we'd put together a list of go-to brands for you to seek out for your baby's bed.

What's hot on EB

How I survived breast cancer while pregnant

It was last thing Rebecca O'Donnell expected at 30 weeks' pregnant. One morning, while putting on her bra, she felt a pea-sized lump in her right breast.

Grieving father's letter to Bataclan terrorists: "...this little boy will threaten you by being happy and free"

A grieving father whose wife was killed in the attacks on the Bataclan Theatre last weekend has written an open letter to her killers.

5 challenges of motherhood - and how to see them differently

Despite the smiles, the sloppy kisses and the pure magic children bring to our lives, it's hard to deny that motherhood can be tough.

4 challenges of being a new dad - and how to face them

Becoming a parent is challenging – and that applies to both mums and dads.

My battle against antenatal and postnatal depression

I was five months pregnant when I realised I needed help.

Children swapped at birth will not be returned to biological parents

A boy and girl accidentally swapped on the day they were born will stay with the families who have raised them, a South African court has ruled.

A quarter of men believe they get 'man periods'

A British study has revealed one in four men believe they have a monthly cycle.

Baby deposit

How much do you need to save for a 'baby deposit'?

It's fairly straightforward to calculate a house deposit, but how much money do you need to save up for a baby?

Dad's beautiful note to his wife, a nurse

To anyone else it might just look like a picture of a mum having a nap with her toddler.

'I was a complete schmuck': Mike Baird opens up about his wife's postnatal depression

When his wife Kerryn was not well following the birth of their daughter, NSW Premier Mike Baird buried himself in his work.

Mum's desperate plea as whooping cough alert issued

A desperate mother has shared a heart-breaking video of her baby struggling to cope with a coughing fit caused by pertussis.

Coffee could help you live longer

New US research found people who report drinking three to five cups of coffee a day are less likely to die prematurely from heart disease, suicide, diabetes or Parkinson's disease.

The joy and dread of playdates

To live vicariously through your child is to rediscover anxieties you thought dead and buried.

Sick baby could die without scarce special formula, mum says

Lizzie Cann is down to her last three tins of a special formula in short supply.

Adorable toddler's strop foiled by squeaky shoes

We're probably all familiar with the pouty bottom lip and tightly crossed arms of a tot mid-strop.

More sex during World Cup created more baby boys

More sex during South Africa's World Cup meant a disproportionately high number of boys were born nine months later, a new study has found.

ABC Shop perfect for Christmas gifts

What a boon it would be to have your toddler's Christmas gifts covered this year. We have two awesome ABC Shop prize packs to give away to two lucky winners.

Do fitness challenges really work?

Fitness challenges aren't new. There's Michelle Bridges 12WBT and a bunch of other programs if you really want to lose weight.

What are pregnant women Googling?

Pregnancy is a huge change for any woman, so it's natural we'll have questions - and turn to Google to ask them.

Can't decide?

Check out the Essential Baby Names section for some inspiration

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.