Tofu?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Oriental lily

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:08 PM

Hello everyone.

Well I am cutting down carbs but also cutting down red meat.

But I am SICK of chicken and fish.
I swear I am going to start clucking soon!!

So I was walking past the fridge section in woolies and saw tofu on special.

The thing is I have never eaten tofu EVER.

So now I have a packet of tofu in my fridge that I really don't know what to do with shrug.gif .

Before I cook it and make it revolting lol, what do you suggest?

Any recipes? Warnings what NOT to do.?

Thanks!

#2 knittingkitten

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:12 PM

What type of tofu is it? Is it firm or silken?

Firm: use your favourite marinade and pan fry.
Deep fry then serve with finely chopped chilli, coriander and soy sauce.
Cube it, add it it stirfies.

Silken: I think it's normally desserts but could be used for savoury "custards"- steam in individual bowls with mushrooms, mirin, tamari and fresh green shallots...

Edited by knittingkitten, 07 February 2013 - 07:21 PM.

#3 EBeditor

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:13 PM

What kind of tofu is it? Is it hard or silken, pre-marinated or not?

#4 noi'mnot

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:13 PM

Hooray for tofu, it's fantastic! original.gif

What sort of tofu is it? Does it say whether it's firm, or silken, or anything like that? This makes a huge difference on how you cook it.

#5 Ingrid the Swan

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:14 PM

Ids it silken or firm?

If firm, chop it into little cubes and marinade in something tasty. Fry it in little batches in a small amount of oil and add to stir fry. Is delicious that way. Similarly thin strips marinaded and fried are nice.I eat it with beans, toast and egg.

Silken you're on your own, I have no idea...

#6 Sweet like a lemon

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:15 PM

QUOTE (noi'mnot @ 07/02/2013, 08:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hooray for tofu, it's fantastic! original.gif

What sort of tofu is it? Does it say whether it's firm, or silken, or anything like that? This makes a huge difference on how you cook it.

Just when I was going to ask why is everybody asking if it's smooth or silky Tounge1.gif So which is preferred and how do you prepare it?

#7 Oriental lily

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:16 PM

It's momen tofu, medium firm.
Ingredients are soy bean extract and salt.
So not marinated.

#8 noi'mnot

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:21 PM

In that case, I'd go with the above directions - cube it, marinate it, stirfry it in batches and add to a stirfy with veggies. Any marinade that you'd normally use for meat will work well.

Re silken v firm: Firm is the type you use for stirfries and curries and things where you want it to hold its shape, and where you can beat it around a bit. Silken falls apart very easily, it's great scrambled, makes an awesome tofu cheesecake, is lovely diced and slipped into clear soups, use it to make dips or replace ricotta in cannelloni, to make soups creamy (like a substitute for cream, etc), etc.

#9 EBeditor

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:23 PM

Cut in to cubes, marinate in soy sauce, ginger and maybe some sweet chilli sauce (or whatever flavours you like), then cook in a stirfry. That's the easiest.

Another way I like it is cut in cubes, rolled in flour then pan-fried until crispy. Serve with soy and sweet chilli  or satay sauce dippling bowls as an entree, or on the side of a salad or asian veges.

#10 Oriental lily

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:29 PM

Thanks everyone!
Might fry myself up some for lunch tomorrow

Edited by Oriental lily, 07 February 2013 - 07:29 PM.

#11 bakesgirls

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:34 PM

Tofu is great stir fried. Then again I eat it plain, whether it's soft, firm, fried, silken, it doesn't matter, I love it.

#12 Pretz

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:37 PM

I was going to suggest  mabodofu. It's really tasty, but then I realised that you don't seem to be eating pork or beef.
I suppose you could try it with a tiny bit of chicken mince...
I cook this almost once a week- it is very tasty!!

http://justonecookbook.com/blog/recipes/mapo-tofu/

Edited by Pretz, 07 February 2013 - 07:44 PM.

#13 ~spirited~

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:43 PM

Is it the macro brand from woolies?

I bought the momen medium firm tofu from there last week, and it was not medium firm! I used it in a stif fry and it totally disintegrated.

It would work in something like the PP suggestion of mabodofu though.

Next time try a firm one. I like to cube it, then give it a salt and pepper treatment- shake it in a bag with a bit of flour, salt, white pepper, and maybe a bit of Chinese five spice. Then stir fry the cubes (shallow frying is extra yummy, but stir frying works as well. Steam or stir fry some Asian greens and pop the tofu cubes on top! Yum!

I have also had success using silken tofu to make a tofu bake- blend it up with a few eggs, stir in some grated veg (carrot, zuchhini etc), some ginger/garlic/coriander/chili etc. Bake until set.

#14 Pretz

It makes a really nice ice-cream too.

strawberry Tofu Ice-cream
300 g tofu(silken)
200 ml coconut milk
5 Tbsp maple syrup (honey is also ok)
vanilla extract to taste
400ml strawberries

✿Place all the ingreadients into a blener and mix until lovely and smooth.
✿Place the mixture into an ice-cream maker and churn until the desired consistency is reached.\
✿ enjoy...

(5-6 serves)

You could use other fruit such as melon or peaches.

#15 Oriental lily

Oohhhh that looks yum!

Maybe turkey mince?

Turkey is a bit more 'pork like' than chicken lol!

#16 Oriental lily

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:45 PM

It is spirited. unsure.gif
Oh well see how we go original.gif

#17 Pretz

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:46 PM

QUOTE (Oriental lily @ 07/02/2013, 08:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oohhhh that looks yum!

Maybe turkey mince?

Turkey is a bit more 'pork like' than chicken lol!

I think any mince would work because the flavour of the sauce is so yum.

We usually eat mabodofu on rice.

If you can get to an asian grocer, you may be able to buy a ready to go sachet of the sauce mix.
It is very easy to prepare.

You could also make tofu shumai.
I put half the shumai mix into the  wrapper, and the other half I roll into balls with slide wrappers.
They're really yummy.

Tofu and chicken mince hamburger patties are great too.

Edited by Pretz, 07 February 2013 - 08:13 PM.

#18 Coffeegirl

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:07 PM

QUOTE (Oriental lily @ 07/02/2013, 08:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello everyone.

Well I am cutting down carbs but also cutting down red meat.

But I am SICK of chicken and fish.
I swear I am going to start clucking soon!!

So I was walking past the fridge section in woolies and saw tofu on special.

The thing is I have never eaten tofu EVER.

So now I have a packet of tofu in my fridge that I really don't know what to do with shrug.gif .

Before I cook it and make it revolting lol, what do you suggest?

Any recipes? Warnings what NOT to do.?

Thanks!

A little off topic, but why are you totally cutting out red meat?   My PT told me women should try to keep small amounts of it in their diet for the iron content.  If you are cutting red meat due to fat, then try kangaroo meat.

Back on topic,  i had a fantastic tofu salad today from Top Juice.  It was marinated and fried I think, but yummo!

#19 Niamh23

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:19 PM

QUOTE (Coffeegirl @ 07/02/2013, 09:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A little off topic, but why are you totally cutting out red meat?   My PT told me women should try to keep small amounts of it in their diet for the iron content.  If you are cutting red meat due to fat, then try kangaroo meat.

So I guess I must be about to keel over from iron deficiency, having been a vegetarian for most of my life!

What rubbish.

#20 Oriental lily

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:23 PM

I have been doing low carb for a while now and while I am eating heaps of greens I am a bit worried about the ole bowels.

No matter how much red meat I eat I sways seems to be low in iron so I take a supliments anyway. original.gif .

#21 ednaboo

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:25 PM

I've never been able to make plain tofu taste good.  I only buy the marinated stuff - I like the Chinese one by Soyco.

#22 Tree Sage

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:21 PM

I like to bake hard tofu in the oven. Marinade in lemon juice, olive oil, turmeric, paprika and cinnamon. SO yummy.

Silken is good in omelettes, quiches etc with vegies.
Also makes a GREAT smoothie with almonds and berries.

If you want more protein go beans (as in cannelini, kidney etc) , egg whites are packed with protein, quinoa has a lot of protein and is good carbs, plus it is delicious as either a breakfast porridge or savoury dish, lots of protein in nuts, almonds are best.

#23 pinkcupcakes

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:37 PM

sick.gif be brave...

#24 jayskette

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:47 PM

Buy a pack of ma po sauce from the asian grocer. dice tofu, cook with sauce, mix with cooked rice. YUM

#25 Sweet like a lemon

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:47 PM

QUOTE (Niamh23 @ 07/02/2013, 09:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So I guess I must be about to keel over from iron deficiency, having been a vegetarian for most of my life!

What rubbish.

Beef is apparently the easiest way to ensure iron and b12 levels are met. It is the easiest thing for the body to extract iron from but only needs to eaten in small amounts to reap the nutritional benefits, something like 40g of lean beef 4 times a week so it is highly recommended for dieters and people suffering from low iron.
That being said I gave up meat because I got sick of being told that my opinions and concerns on factory farming, hunting, animal breeding and culling and cruelty were not valid if I did eat meat. I have actually been searching for some interesting no fuss meals that I can make. I don't want DD to go vegetarian yet as she is only 6 and DH doesn't think a meal is a meal unless it includes meat, but preparing 2 to 3 different meals every meal time is a major drag so I land up eating starch and salad. Boring.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Clever panda fakes pregnancy

News that a giant panda was pregnant prompted much excitement, but it appears there were never any cubs on the way.

'I survived placenta percreta'

When writing her birth plan, Simone Pavil included an item most women wouldn?t even think about: what should happen if she was put on life support. The mum had the potentially fatal condition placenta accreta.

Managing personal space as a mum

In the midst of the early parenting years, our bodies and minds can seemingly be overtaken by our offspring. How can we balance our need for personal space with the needs of our children?

'If love could have saved you, you'd have never left'

The words "spontaneous abortion" on the hospital paperwork really got to me. My baby died; I didn't spontaneously decide to abort him.

15 classic Aussie ads

Watch some of the classic Australian ads of the 80s, 90s and 00s, and remember the catchphrases and jingles we all used to know so well ...

For and against

Should Blue Ivy have been at the VMAs?

Many were quick to condemn Beyonce and Jay Z after appearing on stage at the MTV Video Music Awards with their two-year-old daughter, but others thought it was a sweet family moment. What do you think?

Toddler attacked at gym creche

Two-year-old girl Eva Ness was left with a black eye and bite marks on her face and body after an altercation with an older child at a health club's child-minding facilities. Now her parents are calling for the centre to be closed.

Pregnancy a tricky matter of timing for FIFO couples

Manipulating rosters, coordinating 'conjugal' visits, working on site with your partner; getting pregnant can prove stressful for FIFO workers.

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

Carseats have twice as many germs as a toilet

Most parents know their child's carseat is not always squeaky clean, but they might not realise just how dirty it really is.

Doctors remove foetus from 'medical marvel' after 36 years

Doctors in India have removed the skeleton of a foetus that had been inside a woman for 36 years.

Nine months in six seconds: new parents' Vine clip a hit

We?ve seen some memorable time-lapse pregnancy and birth announcement videos before. Now one new couple has taken it to the extreme, capturing it all in just a six-second Vine video.

Sonia Kruger speaks of baby joy

Celebrity mum-to-be Sonia Kruger has spoken candidly about using donor eggs and IVF to fall pregnant at age 48.

Dressing to not impress: life through the eyes of a three-year-old

When it comes to getting dressed, my three-year-old has only one criterion: ?I don?t want to look beautiful.? And now I've worked out why.

Special nappies made with love for angel babies

Angel Baby Nappies make and provide tiny bereavement cloth nappies for pre-term stillborn babies and premature babies who pass away in the NICU.

Inside the brain of a tantruming toddler

What's going on in your child's mind in the lead-up to a tantrum? And what?s the best way to respond?

5 secrets to a long-lasting relationship

When it comes to keeping your relationship strong, it?s what you do - and not what you want - that really matters.

When 'furbabies' meet real babies

I am obsessed with my dogs, and can't imagine loving them any less once my baby arrives. But that doesn't stop everyone from telling me I will.

The least popular baby names of 2013

Looking for a baby name that?s nowhere near the top 10 ? or even the top 1000? Try the bottom five.

'I was so sleep deprived I crashed my car'

There are no laws regulating driving while tired, but statistics show that driver fatigue is one of the top three contributors to the road toll.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Do you suffer from Precious Firstborn Syndrome?

Testing ?no more tears? shampoo in your own eyes, warming cucumber sticks so they're not cold straight from the fridge, waking a sleeping baby to check they?re still breathing: these are all symptoms of Precious Firstborn Syndrome.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

Mums hit hardest as flu cases skyrocket

The number of confirmed cases of influenza in Australia has doubled the number for the same time last year - and women are 25 per cent more likely to get it.

The mum who had four babies in nine months

Feeling exhausted due to the demands of caring for a baby? Imagine the life of this mum, who gave birth to three boys and one girl in just nine months.

Everything baby at Big W

Lowest prices on everything baby, only at Big W. Sale starts August 4 and ends August 20 2014.

Going viral

Weirdest pregnancy products

From pee stick keepers to stylish sick bags, there are some very strange inventions out there for pregnant women.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.