When non-sleeping babies grow up?
Share your stories please.

30 replies to this topic

#1 Feral_Pooks

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:06 PM

DS has been a challenging sleeper right from the start. It has been well documented on here, our highs and lows, the sleep school, the exhaustion, the contortions we make to accommodate him to maximize his sleeping potential... He does sleep, now, but only under strict conditions and if even one of these is not unto young laddy's satisfaction, we are aware of it... Swiftly.

Tonight DP's parents visited, I asked them when DP, who apparently an extremely non-sleeping child, grew out of it.

Their response was laughter.

He didn't. It just stopped being as much of a problem. He would play in his room after they had put him to bed, and eventually he would put himself to bed and sleep. He was sometimes tired the next day, but as he got older that was less of a problem than an overtired baby or toddler.

Hmm. Great.

So tell me about YOUR non-sleeper. Surely, at some point, they got some sleep. Right?

Give us struggling with the little ones some hope... Light at the end of the tunnel. Please?

#2 tibs

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:13 PM

Sorry don't think you'll like my answer.  Mine is now 5, just started school and despite the supposed overwhelming tiredness the first week of school brings...was still awake at 9:30 when I checked in on him, 3 hours after the school's recommended bedtime for kindergarten kids and 2 hours after we put him to bed.

But I have some hope for you - after him I went on to have 2 daughters who are awesome sleepers, who knew you could put a baby down at sleep time and they woud just go to sleep  biggrin.gif   biggrin.gif

#3 melaine

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:13 PM

My first wasn't a great sleeper, my second was worse.

First now sleeps 7pm-7am and can't be woken! He was napping until 4 year old kinder started.

Second son sleeps less - can be awake till 9-10pm if something throws him. Hasn't napped at home since 2y3months. Napped at Childcare - couldn't sleep at night.

He wakes 5/7 nights - very briefly (I mean covers back on him type waking), and wakes early but really he's pretty good. He's 3.5 years.

#4 vitaechel

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:36 AM

Ds is now 3.5 and finally will go to sleep fairly easily with books, singing and holding hands - still cannot self settle (has been since about November - prior to that it was usually a good hour or 2 of tantrums and getting up. Bad nights up to 4 hours). He does wake during night and climb into bed with us most nights tho. I still think compared to what it was this is great. DD sleeps through the night which is AWESOME and she self settles.

#5 hell kitty

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:56 AM

DD didn't sleep more than 2 hours at a time until we went to sleep school at 15 months. Totally sorted her out, I think she woke once a night for the first couple of nights after sleep school, then slept through after that.
She's now 4, has an occasional waking in the night (not very often and usually something like she wants a drink, or something random 'I want a Hi 5'...wtf) and goes straight back to sleep.
Getting to sleep is still a bit of a pain...she calls out wanting a drink, toilet, she's uncomfortable etc....tonight we just got a new kitten...OMG!!!! But she's usually asleep by 9 (goes to bed about 8 ish).
I remember what she was like as a baby and she is 100000% on that now!!

#6 joy6328

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:12 AM

My DD is 2 and still doesn't sleep.
Some nights she just wont GO to sleep. Other nights she wont STAY asleep. Other nights it is up and down on the hour, every hour.
During the day I try to be philisophical about it... during the night I want to smash my head into a brick wall.
On average she would actually sleep a full night (from 7pm - 5am) possibly 2 nights per week? On a good week.

My hubbys older brother was the same and apparently didn't grow out of it until he was 9...

#7 ~Supernova~

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:36 AM

DS is a nightmare sleeper, and these stories aren't reassuring! I will say however, that my niece finally started sleeping through not long after one. I live in hope that one day I will sleep again...

#8 VJs Mummy

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:56 AM

My dear 2 year old still doesnt sleep, my first slept through from 2 weeks 7pm-7am and had dream feed at 10pmhe is in year 2 and sleeps from about 730-8 to 6-7am in the morning now , my 2nd didnt sleep through till 18months but he was in and out of hospital till he was 2 and a half, he is now 5 and he falls asleep anywhere from 330- 730 in the afternoon wakes for dinner then next morning you have to wake him. My mr 2 year old now im lucky to get more then 4 hours out of him ( In saying that tonight has been the best ever although he went to sleep around 1am he still asleep and in his bed ( touch wood he stays asleep for bit longer ) he also usually wakes every hr or two and screams the place down
he doesnt have naps during the day and if he does it basically a 10min power nap and he is re energised my partner mum said he was the same and she cant remember when he stopped i have hope that he will sleep through eventually lol,

#9 cinnabubble

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:10 AM

When she was five and we moved her little sister in to share her room, she finally started sleeping through the night.

#10 mintjoolips

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:17 AM

DS 11 yrs still goes to bed later about 930-10 sometimes earlier if he has been particularly busy.  Sleeps like a log until 830-9 or I wake him for school, trying to make him sleep earlier is futile particularly now he can tell the time!

#11 CherryAmes

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:23 AM

My daughter slept badly as a baby - at one point she was regularly waking between 7-9 times a night! Now she sleeps through (she's 2). She improved a lot at 12mths and gradually improved over that year. Probably because my breastmilk dried up due to pregnancy? She still suckled but wasn't getting enough for it to be worth waking for, maybe!

She didn't used to sleep much during the day, now she'll do a long sleep, 2-3hrs. I wouldn't have believed it a year ago. I was still working part-time then, too. Man, I was tired. Now I have another baby but he sleeps pretty well, so I'm a lot less tired.

#12 Arthur or Martha

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:24 AM

Edited by ambwrose, 04 September 2013 - 07:01 PM.

#13 kirsty38

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:42 AM

My non sleeper is 22 and now days doesnt sleep until after midnight she cant sleep if she goes to bed any earlier.

#14 barrington

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:55 AM

My first bad sleeper didn't sleep through the night until he had his tonsils out at 4.

My second bad sleeper (was feeding two hourly overnight until 9 mths) will sleep through the night most of the time now at almost four, but still needs to be patted to sleep.

#15 Feral_Is_Me

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:56 AM

I am finding this comforting in the fact that it is just not my DD! She is 3, has slept through less than 10 times in her life. Since we have hit 3, things have gone backwards in terms of going to bed - 1 to 2 hour tantrums. Overnight usually has me or DH getting up to 1-3 times, and after 2nd time, she comes into our bed.

I have got to the point that instead of wanting her to sleep all night,  I am just hoping for when she can be by herself (her biggest issue is that she hates being alone in a room) so if she wakes up (usually around 6am) she will play without us having to get up or that we can put her to bed and not have to stay in the room til she falls asleep.

The plus side is that once we put her in bed she does stay there, so at least we don't have that problem.

#16 JaneDoe2010

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:00 AM

Mine is 8 years old. She still struggles terribly with sleep. Sorry for the bad news!

#17 little lion

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:15 AM

I was one of those babies. I'm not exactly sure when I improved, somewhere in the toddler years, but I remained an early riser. I hated sleepovers at friends' houses because they'd sleep until 9am whereas I naturally woke around 6-7. Upon entering teenage hood I figured out how great sleep is, and have been in love with it since then.

#18 watergirl

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:23 AM

Not sure you will want to read my answer either, OP.  sad.gif

I have a just turned 4 year old DS. He was a terrible sleeper from birth - difficult to settle, frequent wakings, early rising, etc. We have had it all. Including when he went through a stage of 4am wakeups for about 8 months which was a fun time in this household!

He hasn't really got any better at sleeping - still wakes multiple times a night, takes at least an hour to go to sleep, etc.
But things have got better in that he can look after himself at night - I hear him wake and go to the bathroom/pad around the house/potter around his room briefly and then resettle himself back into bed.

He is still an early riser (though not 4am, thankfully!) and he still absolutely fights sleep with every fibre of this being. Day naps were ditched quite early as he just fought and fought and it wasn't worth the exhausting, upsetting battle for either of us. Its funny (kinda) watching how hard he fights falling asleep. We can be in the car on the way home from a busy, tiring morning (for example, beach or swim lessons) and I will watch him in the rearview mirror yawning, patting his face, shaking himself - all the tricks to make sure he doesn't nod off. Its mad!

It was both depressing and refreshing when my daughter was born (who has self settled from birth, rarely required a rock/pat and just puts her head down and goes to sleep when she is tired). Refreshing as I realised that it wasn't anything we were doing, its just him but depressing as I realised nothing we could do would change his sleeping habits!

He is lucky he is cute, I tell you.  wink.gif

#19 Natttmumm

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:37 AM

Here's our story...hope it helps.
DD1 was one of the worst sleepers I know. It was horrible and really impacted our family. Sleep school, night nannies, pead, doc, etc all were stumped. I was told to ride it out. As you can imagine that helped.
Eventually she started to sleep and sleep she did. By 14 months things were improved and by2 they were good. By 4 she predictably slept all night and asks to go to bed when she's tired. Hang in there my worst sleeper became my best.
DD2 was a dream baby - one of those I thought did not exist. Slept all night from birth.By 2.5 she was terrible. Waking crying etc. so the type of baby you get does not reflect what you will get later.

#20 gabbigirl

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:51 AM

My second daughter was a shocking sleeper.  She is now almost 3 and tells me when she is tired and falls asleep.  I can't believe it! Most nights she sleeps through unless she's sick.  Ironically she's now a better sleeper than my good sleeper as a baby,now 4 yo DD1.   I think because I needed to be stricter, have more of a routine with no. 2 she has just developed some better habits than my easier to go to sleep DD 1

Good  luck.

Edited by gabbigirl, 07 February 2013 - 07:53 AM.

#21 Stacey*

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:51 AM

My first son slept through the night at 10 weeks old, patted myself on the back and may have commented on how easy it was  ph34r.gif

Second son woke every 40mins for the first 6 months and then every 2 hours until he was 2 1/2 when he finally started sleeping through. Now he is 6 and has just started Yr 1 and will happily sleep 11-12 hours a night and on the weekends have a 1-2 hour long nap.

Third son is 6 months old and currently waking every 2-3 hours over night  ssleep.gif

#22 seepi

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:02 AM

My DS was a terrible terrible sleeper who would get up for hours every night - he was basically on a newborn timetable of sleep for 3 hours then get up for a couple for hours, for the first 2 years of his life.

He was impossible to put back to sleep and we spent every night bouncing on a fit ball in the dark mumbling songs and jiggling his dummy and putting him in a sling for about an hour then gently lowering him into bed only for the high pitched screaming to start just as his back touched the mattress....

He magically got better at age 2 and is great now. Totally normal sleeper.

when he was terrible at 1ish a woman at work told me lots of problem sleepers snap out of it at age 2, and at the time I thought that was sooooo long to wait, but for us it did at least turn out to be true.

#23 Pop-to-the-shops

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:05 AM

Tonsils and adenoids out at five helped my poor sleeper.

My third has bad patches, but usually only when unwell.

#24 aypa

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:48 AM

My DS was a horrible sleeper from birth - hard to get to sleep then hard to keep asleep and then wake at the crack of dawn! Sleep deprivation was baddddddd. Good news though, from the age of 3 he has slept from 7am - 7pm, is practically asleep before his head hits the pillow most nights, if not (which is rare) he is happy to lie there until he nods off. You could have a party in his room and he would stay asleep.

He is now 6, still wakes at the crack of dawn but will happily sit and watch TV for a couple of hours before the rest of the house gets up. I do have an evil plan though, when he is older and going out to all hours and wants to sleep in, I am going to get my revenge for waking me up at the crack of dawn for years on end. I might vacuum his room at 6am - who knows!! Just once or twice...

DD was a better sleeper, but still not great. From about 3.5 years she has slept all night. Some nights she finds it hard to go to sleep but she will just sing or talk to herself for an hour or so then it all goes quiet. I never, ever believed other mothers who told me kids don't get up at the crack of dawn - I do now. DD has to be woken up every morning. On the weekend she slept until 10am and she had gone to bed at 8pm. The other morning I went in to wake her up, she pulled the covers over her head and went back to sleep - I didn't think they did that until they were teenagers!

#25 Bel Rowley

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:55 AM

QUOTE (hell kitty @ 07/02/2013, 02:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
DD didn't sleep more than 2 hours at a time until we went to sleep school at 15 months. Totally sorted her out, I think she woke once a night for the first couple of nights after sleep school, then slept through after that.
She's now 4, has an occasional waking in the night (not very often and usually something like she wants a drink, or something random 'I want a Hi 5'...wtf) and goes straight back to sleep.
Getting to sleep is still a bit of a pain...she calls out wanting a drink, toilet, she's uncomfortable etc....tonight we just got a new kitten...OMG!!!! But she's usually asleep by 9 (goes to bed about 8 ish).
I remember what she was like as a baby and she is 100000% on that now!!

Sounds very similar to my 4 year old daughter (except we don't have a kitten wink.gif). Sleep school was a necessary evil for her, she went from waking hourly and breastfeeding back to sleep to sleeping pretty consistently every night.

My son on the other hand, seemed like a much better sleeper from birth, when at about 6 weeks he slept for 8 hours straight I thought I'd won the lottery - his sister never did that! Unfortunately he went backwards, and now at almost 2 he still wakes 2 or 3 times most nights.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Win $1000 with Sea-Bands!

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band prize pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos gift card!

Misery loves Facebook

Facebook users are often criticised for only showing the positive, fun parts of their lives. But what about when it swings the other way, when someone uses it for the purposes of ranting about their children all the time, never posting anything positive?

Toddler's adorable impersonation of pregnant mum

Little Ellis has noticed his mum is walking differently lately, and his impersonation of her is hilarious.

'Forgotten baby syndrome' can happen to any one of us

When my third child was two months old, I strapped her into her car seat, then promptly forgot all about her. But she survived, unharmed, because it was winter, and I was lucky.

Join the Real Mums Test Drive Team

Five mums or mums-to-be will join the EB Test Drive Team and discover great items at an exclusive Big W event. (Sydney only.)

Ten things I've learned about motherhood

Never take a good night's sleep for granted. There is no logic like toddler logic. Standing on Lego hurts every time. These are the truths of parenthood.

Parenting past the toddler years: what's next?

Your baby has grown into a toddler, and now your toddler is fast approaching the preschooler stage. What can you expect as a parent?

Tips on what to pack in your hospital bag

Before giving birth I read countless lists, ended up overpacking just a little, and now know what I'll actually want to pack next time.

New app keeps tabs on your kids at childcare

Popular new technology lets parents know what their children are up to at childcare - but not everyone is a fan.

21 things I love about newborns

There?s an irresistible magic about newborns. Of course they're not all smiles and rainbows, but they are undeniably cute and remarkable in so, so many ways.

Kid-friendly hairdressers: who says haircuts can?t be fun?

I?ve found some salons who boast setups ideal for children ? you name it, they?ve thought of it. All are designed to make haircuts fun rather than stressful.

Labour pain relief may reduce risk of postnatal depression: study

Postnatal depression is a complex condition, but researchers say pain relief during labour may help some women.

Why we need better support for men after miscarriage

In a recent study, 85 per cent of men admitted feeling sadness after their partner miscarried, but almost half said they didn't share their feelings at all. What can be done to help them?

Mum in business: Kristy Chong

Kristy Chong is the managing director of Australian-made Modibodi underwear and a mum to Lucas, 6, Jason, 4, and Isaac, 6 months. She shares her advice for other mums thinking about starting their own businesses.

From toddler to preschooler: a developmental roadmap

So your toddler is growing up and will soon be entering the preschooler years. Here are a few ways to frame their development that will help you understand what?s going in those beautiful, funny, clever little heads of theirs.

Mum sacrifices an eye for her unborn baby

Motherhood is full of sacrifices, but this woman has made a life-altering one - and her baby hasn't even been born.

A grandparent by any other name

A growing number of grandparents are shunning tradition and going against conventional names - but a grandparent by any other name still gives the same awesome cuddles and kisses.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

When labour just doesn't happen

After three healthy kids, I can?t help feeling I?ve been a little ripped off. I missed out on something I had always wanted to experience, and now I?ll never get the chance.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

Win $1000 with Sea-Bands!

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band prize pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos gift card!

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Join the Real Mums Test Drive Team

Five mums or mums-to-be will join the EB Test Drive Team and discover great items at an exclusive Big W event. (Sydney only.)

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.