Suggestions for applying for job overqualified/ experienced for

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 IsolaBella

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:16 PM

Just wondering if anyone had any pointers for applying for jobs you are over qualified/ over experienced for.

Eg. Accounting Degree, worked with major financial players in manager roles (banking/finance).... Now looking to get 1-2 days per week book keeping, accounts payable or admin role (small business close to home).

DH has just been through my résumé and summed down, taken things out to make me look more attractive.

Basically I need a job for my sanity, but only 1-2 days so I can still manage home front (DHs job is demanding with overseas/ interstate travel for weeks). Family interstate. Now with two kids at school, one at 3yo Kinder, I just want something to do which will only mildly challenge my brain ( I don't need high finance stress).

So any pointers from others in this position?

#2 Ms.Nolte

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:25 PM

Maybe just send your resume to a recruitment agency, and follow up with a phone call to explain your situation? That way your resume won't be dis-regarded as too qualified, and you don't have to lie about past positions (although you can sum it down).

#3 MrsLexiK

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:27 PM

As someone who is going through over qualified resumes for my job at the moment state in your cover letter that you are looking for a change or to renter at a lower level or something. I have tossed so many applications aside because all I see is degree and degree and degree (on the same résumé) and I'm thinking you are too over qualified and will no doubt be board in this job.

#4 SeaPrincess

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:30 PM

Be prepared to answer the question at interview.  DH applied for an internal transfer to a position with less seniority than his previous role and at every stage, someone said to him "you do realise this is a step down?"  His response was that we had spent nearly 5 years living interstate away from family and that for family reasons, moving home was more important at that time.

ETA He was offered the position the day before our 3rd baby was born.

Edited by SeaPrincess, 06 February 2013 - 10:31 PM.

#5 IsolaBella

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:05 AM

Thanks for the tips so far.

I should add that I have officially been out of work for over 15m (resigned as working three days part time would become five days).

Should I mention that much of past five years was maternity leave?

My kids are in 3yo Kinder with two at school. No plans ever for more kids (medically not recommended too as well as personal choice).

Should I somehow incorporate this information? How would you suggest this is done?

Edited by lsolaBella, 07 February 2013 - 07:14 AM.

#6 Loz07

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:10 AM

Agree that you should put a statement in your cover letter about re-entering the workforce, seeking a work-life balance etc

Good luck

#7 CountryFeral

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:12 AM

I have a variety of CVs - depending on what the role is I play up and down the relevant and irrelevant areas.

You may be pleasantly surprised IsolaBella - I would imagine the employer will jump at the chance to fill their role with a bargain priced expert!

#8 LifesGood

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:12 AM

A covering letter explaining what you have told us here. I would hire you in a heartbeat.

Emphasise the parts of your cv that support the type of work you are applying for.

#9 IsolaBella

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:18 AM

Yes the pay is a step down, but offset against basically no tax and no travel costs.

If I can get to interview I am sure I can sell myself.... It is just getting past the first hurdle.

DH asked me if I would be bored, but honestly replied I am the crazy type of person who does enjoy data entry and doing reconciliations. Go figure LOL. I know this would be a longish term job for me too.

#10 ceeshell

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:22 AM

QUOTE (Loz07 @ 07/02/2013, 08:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Agree that you should put a statement in your cover letter about re-entering the workforce, seeking a work-life balance etc

Good luck

Agree.

I have a degree in public communication and social theory as well as post graduate public communications qualifications. I was an account director for years. I now work two days a week in an admin-focused local government job. It's perfect because, although it is a little mind numbing, no one calls me after hours, my emails on my phone are personal and I never have to put in extra hours. The team is lovely, too.

I stated in my cover letter why I was applying and had my answer prepared for when they asked in the interview. HR called me three times before finally formally offering me the job, just to reiterate how 'routine-based and dry' the role is. I kept assuring them that that was appealing to me!

My boss is great, she throws me extra, more stimulating work when I have the capacity to keep me engaged.

Good luck!

#11 Elippo

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:25 AM

Is tghere a contact officier listed with the advertisement. Ring them before submitting your application and be open and honest about what you have told us here. Then submit your application. That way you are giving them a heads up.

#12 tomson

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:27 AM

Where are you located?

#13 Peppery

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:34 AM

I would state in your cover letter that you are re-entering the workforce and seeking work life balance. Most of my other big 4 friends are the same, worked in similar roles while their kids are little.

DD starts school next year, I am already starting to think about my move back towards my old pre child role

#14 MrsLexiK

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:54 AM

QUOTE (lsolaBella @ 07/02/2013, 08:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes the pay is a step down, but offset against basically no tax and no travel costs.

If I can get to interview I am sure I can sell myself.... It is just getting past the first hurdle.

DH asked me if I would be bored, but honestly replied I am the crazy type of person who does enjoy data entry and doing reconciliations. Go figure LOL. I know this would be a longish term job for me too.

I''d try and mention this as well that you are looking for long term employment.  I think with a 2 day a week job they are expecting a working parent.  You could mention the fact that you won't have more children (which if it is small business they could be worried about) by saying something along the lines of "after taking 5 years off for maternity leave I'm a ready to re-enter the workforce in a job which will allow me the work life balance my past career couldn't" and add in somewhere that you are committed to long term.  If the over quailified people who were applying for my job would say in their cover letter that they are looking for a step down I would be more then happy to put them forward for an interview, it is the fact they are not mentioning it which makes me think they must have read the job description wrong.

#15 IsolaBella

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:38 AM

I am in Melbourne.

Job that has me currently excited is via agency, so have to get through agency vetting too.

Thanks for the suggestions. It is funny to put together a CV for the first time since 2000 ohmy.gif .

I also have unrealistic expectations. After getting my first job, I was offered every other job I have gone for since (including internal transfers). So must remind myself that it took 20 applications to get that first Job all those years ago.

Another issue though is referees. How do you handle these? No one that I worked with is still there?

#16 mrslb

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:54 AM

Great advice from everyone so far - don't edit too much out of your CV but state your position and ambitions honestly in a cover letter.  State that you're looking to be an effective part of a business long-term as your children progress through school etc.

For referees, if you're still in touch with anyone from your professional life / previous referees, you can add them referring to your role they relate to, like:

Mrs xxx yyy, former manager for xxxxx role, contact phone: 04xx xxx xxx, (or e-mail if international).

Good luck!

#17 sandgropergirl

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:59 AM

QUOTE (mrslb @ 07/02/2013, 10:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Great advice from everyone so far - don't edit too much out of your CV but state your position and ambitions honestly in a cover letter.  State that you're looking to be an effective part of a business long-term as your children progress through school etc.

For referees, if you're still in touch with anyone from your professional life / previous referees, you can add them referring to your role they relate to, like:

Mrs xxx yyy, former manager for xxxxx role, contact phone: 04xx xxx xxx, (or e-mail if international).

Good luck!

As a recruiter, yes to this. Your cv should be correct. Your cover letter can explain your reasoning.

#18 Ally'smum

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:04 AM

I have just hired someone that was overqualified for the role, but to be honest I was hoping we would get a mother with small children.

The role is a bit boring, but I have only had to train this person once (as opposed to repeating myself all the time with previous people) and she thinks for herself! and has suggested good improvements!

In your cover letter say something about returning to the workforce and wanting long term steady employment.

In our situation it works really well, she comes in does her job and goes home. There is no stress, no bs and I am infinitely flexible because I want her to stay!

People know what they are looking for when they are recruiting, so if are the right fit you will get the job.

Edited by loggedin, 07 February 2013 - 10:04 AM.

#19 naturalgoodness

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:12 AM

I have the same issue. I was a high level manager in investment banking back office and have an accounting diploma as well as a few others. I made sure there was a maternity leave entry in the CV timeline and in my cover letters always mentioned returning to the workforce, seeking a change of direction/pace. I have never failed to get an interview and when I went to bookkeeping originally, got the position I applied for.

Good Luck - it can be so disheartening looking at jobs thinking that you won't be considered because you are over-qualified when all you want is a role that you can turn up to, do in the required time, go home and switch back to your life!

#20 naturalgoodness

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:12 AM

I have the same issue. I was a high level manager in investment banking back office and have an accounting diploma as well as a few others. I made sure there was a maternity leave entry in the CV timeline and in my cover letters always mentioned returning to the workforce, seeking a change of direction/pace. I have never failed to get an interview and when I went to bookkeeping originally, got the position I applied for.

Good Luck - it can be so disheartening looking at jobs thinking that you won't be considered because you are over-qualified when all you want is a role that you can turn up to, do in the required time, go home and switch back to your life!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Special offer: The Baby & Toddler Show 2014

At The Baby & Toddler Show, you?ll find everything you need to get ready for your new arrival and guide you through the early weeks and years of parenting.

An open letter to Tony Abbott: please salvage our super

We face financial ruin, but most of us don?t realise it. If we don?t act together to salvage our superannuation, I have no doubt the new GFC will be the Girls? Financial Crisis.

'I'm happy to know I'm changing lives': surrogate mum of two

I know that once the baby is born, I will focus on the gift I have given, and watch the parents with their new child. I can't wait for that day.

Birth trauma and the issue of informed consent

There is a perception that women should just be happy they have a healthy baby in their arms. But for women who experienced birth trauma, there's a lot more to it.

Tips for managing pollen allergies and hayfever

They're simple tips, but they can have a big impact on those who suffer from hayfever and pollen allergies.

Ada Nicodemou shares tribute to her stillborn baby

Just over one month since Ada Nicodemou and her husband lost their second son, the Home and Away star has shared a touching poem for her baby.

Mum causes stir breastfeeding on train

?To the woman breastfeeding her kid on the train. Seriously! On the train?" began the letter of complaint.

10 things they don?t tell you about being pregnant

As I slowly waddle my ever-changing pregnant body towards the finishing line of my due date, it?s becoming increasingly clear there are a lot of things they just don?t tell you about pregnancy.

Overcoming a fear of the dark

A toddler's fear of the dark is very normal, but there are ways parents can help children through this stage in their development.

Kids, TV and movies: how young is too young?

It seems you don't have to throw the TV and iPad out the window - it all boils down to moderation, supervision and interaction.

Video: Baby's first birthday is a special day for mum, too

?A baby?s first birthday is also mum?s first birthday.?

The day Supernanny came to tea

Prince William's favourite celebrity child trainer Jo Frost puts Bryony Gordon and her toddler through their paces.

Tales from the homefront

When you're at work you sort of assume that your house is basically just sitting there quietly doing nothing until you return. However, since spending my days at home, I've learned this couldn't be further from the truth.

The words I hated hearing as new mum

It was less than a week after my son was born that I first heard it - from my mother.

To the pharmacist who sold me baby formula

On the rare occasion I catch sight of you at school, or around town, I think back to our earliest exchange. I?m sure you have no recollection of it at all.

Babies may benefit from autism therapy

Children showing signs of autism don't usually receive early intervention until well into toddlerhood or later, but a new study suggests infants with symptoms of the developmental disorder might benefit from therapy from as early as six months.

Knatalye and Adeline born with an everlasting bond

Knatalye Hope and Adeline Faith are a lot like any other identical twin girls, but there is one dramatic difference: they're joined at the chest and shares several internal organs.

The question this dad wishes he'd asked his wife

I should have seen that my wife wasn't the same person I'd fallen in love with, but we were both too focused on simply trying to get by.

Why we should talk about the deaths of the Hunt children

The deaths are too horrible even to think about. Yet we owe it to the children - Fletcher, Mia and Phoebe Hunt - to think long and hard about it all.

Baby dies of meningococcal weeks after vaccine application denied

A six-month-old girl has died from meningococcal disease just weeks after an application for government funding of a vaccine for the most deadly strain of the virus was rejected.

Finding the right balance when playing with your kids

Being too involved in our children?s play and not allowing our kids enough free time for unstructured activities can mean our kids miss out on the value that play offers.

Creative DIY light shades

The Pop Light light shade comes in a flat pack already made - it's up to you to design it as you'd like.

The battle of iParenting versus imagination

Have we forgotten how to be imaginative, resourceful parents?

Why movement is so important for your baby's growth

Letting your child move as much as possible in the early years ? using all senses, engaging in the real world, preferably outside ? will help them grow up healthier, smarter, calmer and stronger.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Special offer: The Baby & Toddler Show 2014

At The Baby & Toddler Show, you?ll find everything you need to get ready for your new arrival and guide you through the early weeks and years of parenting.

Losing yourself to motherhood

While watching your baby grow into a unique little person is exciting and wondrous, the intensity of meeting everyone else?s needs can ever so sneakily overtake your own needs for self-care.

Tearing during delivery: the facts

Almost all women will experience bruising, grazing or tearing after a vaginal birth. Depending on the degree of tearing, there are various treatments available.

6 tips for a day out with a baby and toddler

Outings can be lots of fun with the kids, but there are inevitable challenges. Here's some information about days out to help you be a little more prepared.

Why I invited a dozen people to watch my son's birth

I sent invitations on burgundy scrapbooking paper stamped with a field of poppies, and told each person why I wanted him or her there. I warned that there would be nudity.

Getting labour started: tips for a natural induction

When your baby?s due date comes and goes without so much as a pop - let alone a bang - it can be disheartening. Mums and a doula share their stories of natural inductions.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

That's my boy: a dad's diary of the first 4 months

Unbearable anxiety, unspeakable joy, constant exhaustion and bouts of frustration ... The many shocks of first-time fatherhood resound in a dad's diary of his son's early months.

One of the most important things a new mum can do

Finances may not be as cute as a newborn, but with many women?s working arrangements changing post-baby, monetary matters need attention too.

Baby survives five days alone

He lay with his mother for up to five days after she died of a suspected drug overdose - and survived.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Reader offer

2 FOR 1 TICKET OFFER

For Shopping, For Advice, For Baby & You. Enjoy a special day out with fabulous shopping from over 200 brands, leading parenting experts offering advice on a range of topics, and amazing children?s entertainment

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.