Cambodia - Phnom Penh
Anyone been?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 unicycle

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:23 PM

Hi,
Some suggestions for activities. Will be there with Tweens. Also, can you talk me thorough visa on arrival and getting a taxi into town from the airport? money: changing US dollars. Where?
Thanks

#2 eachschoolholidays

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:44 PM

I went 8 years ago.  From speaking to other people, it has charged hugely since then.

We bought a visa before we left and entered Cambodia by river from Vietnam.

Go to the Choeung Ek memorial and Tuol Sleng.  WE had a lovely dinner at Friends Resturant which was run by an NGO.  The Russian market might be worth a look.

Watch The Killing Fields with your tweens before you go so that they have idea about the history of what they will be seeing.

#3 harryhoo

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:52 PM

We went three years ago. We bought our Visa's at the airport when we got there. It was pretty straightforward. And you'll be exchange US dollars everywhere - if you need to. Most things accept (if not prefer) that you pay in US dollars. We loved it. Can be pretty confronting if you are unaware of the country's history - but is an inspiring place considering that history. There'll be plenty to keep everyone busy - from palaces and museums to day trips and markets. Is hard to give advice on what to do without know what their interests are. Maybe get the Lonely Planet book as it has so much useful information.

#4 Kay1

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:01 PM

We went 8 years ago too. My advice would be to make sure someone tells your taxi driver the address and ascertain he understands where you are staying. Ours was very enthusiastic but then took us to a completely different hotel as he had no idea where ours was (it was a small hostel booked by a friend). We had a map but that was no good as he couldn't read it at all.

I loved it there. There is the Foreign Press Club and then along the river front there are lots of nice little cafes etc (or at least there were).

I don't think I'd be taking tweens to Toul Sleng or watching the Killing Fields with them. I'd certainly explain the history in an age appropriate way but I think some of that stuff is way too confronting for that age.

#5 Agnodice the Feral

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:04 PM

Not much in Phnom Peng NOT of interest to tweens - but the history is pretty confronting and complex. Worth reading up on so you know it yourself.

(Summary - Pol Pot and comrades went to Uni in France and learned all about communism, came back to Cambodia and formed a little communist part but no one took then too seriously. At the time the US was bombing the crap out of the Eastern border of Cambodia to try and get Vietnamese troops that had fled across the border. Lots of Cambodians were killed and people started getting pretty p*ssed. Pol Pot and gang used this unrest to stage a coup and gain power. Pot's ideology was to return Cambodia to the agrarian paradise he though it was in the time Angkor Wat was built 1000 years earlier and he saw 'intellectuals' as the barrier to that. It was rumored that Cambodia had three rice harvests a year in that time (one harvest is standard, two is considered pretty amazing, three is exceptional) so he either killed everyone with an education or sent them to forced labour farms. US pulled out of Vietnam, Vietnam heard what was happening in Cambodia and marched on Phnom Penh, US decided to support Pol pot and cronies because they still hated Vietnam and more people got killed all round. Vietnam finally left, America felt a bit bad about it all, and not Cambodians are trying to rebuild their country.

TL; DR - lots of people got killed by an oppressive regime)

#6 eachschoolholidays

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:11 PM

QUOTE (AvadaKedavra @ 06/02/2013, 10:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not much in Phnom Peng NOT of interest to tweens - but the history is pretty confronting and complex. Worth reading up on so you know it yourself.

(Summary - Pol Pot and comrades went to Uni in France and learned all about communism, came back to Cambodia and formed a little communist part but no one took then too seriously. At the time the US was bombing the crap out of the Eastern border of Cambodia to try and get Vietnamese troops that had fled across the border. Lots of Cambodians were killed and people started getting pretty p*ssed. Pol Pot and gang used this unrest to stage a coup and gain power. Pot's ideology was to return Cambodia to the agrarian paradise he though it was in the time Angkor Wat was built 1000 years earlier and he saw 'intellectuals' as the barrier to that. It was rumored that Cambodia had three rice harvests a year in that time (one harvest is standard, two is considered pretty amazing, three is exceptional) so he either killed everyone with an education or sent them to forced labour farms. US pulled out of Vietnam, Vietnam heard what was happening in Cambodia and marched on Phnom Penh, US decided to support Pol pot and cronies because they still hated Vietnam and more people got killed all round. Vietnam finally left, America felt a bit bad about it all, and not Cambodians are trying to rebuild their country.

TL; DR - lots of people got killed by an oppressive regime)

That's not actually correct.  Vietnam didn't invade because of the atrocities being committed.  They invaded because Cambodia kept committing boarder raids over land they considered to be theirs.  They also invaded yearsafter the US withdrew.

#7 unicycle

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:38 PM

Thanks, keep it coming, please. Will not be able to walk much, sadly. Think will keep killing fields for another time. They will spend a couple of days in a very desperately poor place: that'll do for this trip.
Am hoping for some interesting sights / sites  that you loved. They are not so into temples. Normally into being very active, but we are carrying an injury this time! Oops.

#8 starsg

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:46 PM

Tuol Sleng is definitely worth a visit. Also 'First They Killed My Father' by Luong Ung is a first hand account of Phnom Penh before and after the Khmer takeover and definitely worthwhile to read before you go. You really can't go to Cambodia without being confronted by aspects of the atrocities that occurred everywhere so if you have a good understanding of what happened before you go it will add another dimension to your trip.

http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Attractions-...Phnom_Penh.html

check out the trip advisor page for Phnom Penh as well, lots of good ideas there original.gif

#9 TheSmithFamily

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:49 PM

We travelled to Siem reap two years ago and plan to visit PP this April.

ATMs everywhere! Easy to access US dollars and small change given in riel.

Visa on arrival easy! You need cash, us $ and a passport size pic. Kids visa should be free but sometimes a bit hit and miss.

We plan on visiting the silver pagoda/ royal palace, markets, and trying lots of street food along the river area.

We are also doing a side trip to Sihnoukville to the beach.

Enjoy your trip.

#10 kandj

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:05 PM

I've been a couple times, a few years ago though so might not be as up to date.

Firstly, how long are you planning to go for?? Will you go to siem reap for Angkor Wat? Did a beach side trip interest you? or just PP?

The Russian markets are great.

S21 (Tuol Sleng) is an eye opener and I don't think it would be too confronting - the history is still so current for the people of Cambodia that I really think it does make a difference to know where their experiences have taken them. We met some really amazing people that had been through such heartache... But I also don't know how old 'tweens' are?! I'm assuming 13-15 or something??

A lunch at Friends cafe is a must!!! which happens to be located near to an interesting sight (for the life of me I can't remember which one though!)

I have only been to PP pre kids though...I loved the chaos, zipping around on the back of the motorbike taxi's and the friendliness of the people.

As others have said. visa is easy, take a passport photo and some USD and its a quick and easy process.

The first time I visited Cambodia there were NO atm's...anywhere!!! Two years later we visited again and there were at least a half dozen in PP and even in Siem Reap. So that was years ago - probably 6? so I can only assume there would be plenty around everywhere now.

#11 carriesshoes

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:55 PM

I think most people have covered the main things, but I loved a little eating place called "dead fish".  it's like a giant tree house, with people eating on all different levels, food comes and goes via trays on ropes (like tree mail), and the bottom floor has big crocodile pits that you walk between to get to the loos.  Fantastic place!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

WIN two Sea-Bands plus $1000

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band Prize Pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos Gift Card!

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.